Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Yallop Resigns

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wonder if Canada's best atheletes chose Soccer first rather than Hockey as they currently do we would probably be in the world cup and guys like Frank Yallop would be honoured to have such a great job.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You'll never know, because Canada's best athletes are probably already playing soccer (our youth squads have proven they can compete on the world level), since most parents either can't afford hockey, or don't want to invest in it, or (my favorite) don't want to bother with 5:AM practice times.

Canada's best athletes are likely playing soccer already, just running on a treadmill towards nowhere.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes you support by coaching at the grassroots, I will give you that. But actions in the public eye are what speak volumes. Packing out Swangard for the Caps or a CSA game is how we are heard. I don't go for the soccer, I go to support the cause. I get up Saturday mornings to be entertained at teh highest level the sport has to offer.

Hockey is who we are, it is in our blood. Will take generations to change that. Just think back 10 short years as to where soccer was in Canada.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And you, LFC2, would be one of them.

LFC2: that was probably a bit offside. I know you support the CSA teams as much or more than most, and probably have a Canadian kit in your closet. Just got wound up a bit...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope tae f**K that Mitchell is not offered the Job.
Bring in one of the Dutch Coaches out there so our stream of talent headed over there to play professionaly IE Jonathan deGuzman will pull on one of our shirt rather than an ORANJE one. Maybe we could then attract our best U20 players to play here rather than elsewhere ala Hargreaves.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In fairness, other than Mitchell who in there right bloody mind would take on the role??? No Dutchman is going to trade in his clogs for waterboots and move to Vancouver to be battering his heed off bricks everytime he wants to get a player released, hold camp in Europe, attract young Canadians to play for the Red and White, settle for North American SOCCER and make peanuts doing so while holding down a full time job in the offseason only to get fired because of it...:rolleyes:
Dude, Crafty and Knvb all hit the nail on the head... Get Kevin Pipe and his buratic misfits out of the chairs they sit in and punt them the fcuk out of dodge... Somehow I think the firing squad would raise a few eyebrows at our local and National rags if this actually occurred...

BTW, I was at the Whitecaps vs Seattle match a couple of weeks back and Liley had waay too many Yanks in our line up... Other than Joey Gjertsen the best players in the team were all local lads Lyall, Clarke and Nash!!!

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Knvb, i realize you weren't Chapman bashing For once you are not a cnut:D

I grew up playing footie with Chapman, and then again in our 20's, and 30's. Absolute stand up guy!

Chappers is a football/Liverpool nut. Landed his dream job as a sports editor, in a city obsessed with the Canucks.

Over many pop's it has been discussed about the local soccer coverage. Or lack off!
He once told me, for every old geezer that would phone and complain about footie covesrage, he would get 50 phone/email messages about hockey stuff. No young people follow soccer.

He also floated the idea for a talk show on one of the local radio stations. Shot down, over non sellable advertising time.

Not surprised he took a promotion to go to news editor. But I do think our footie coverage has went down since.

No one is interested, other than a small % of diehards. I am just as bad. Will coach kids,run a team, and a league. But couldn't be arsed to go to a Whitecaps game. With a new stadium, I may, as it's more convenient.

On a side note; Was picking up beers for our cooler on Wed evening, and I almost got run over by BCSA Head Coach Findley, driving a nice Mercedes Wagon,(black with white balls on it) worth about $60-70g.

Can anyone tell me if that is why kids reg is now about $200?

KNVB, I picked you all the way in our pool. Let's hope there is no imploding this time!

Thanks to all TTPer's for entering: Sir M!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To try to answer a few questions:

Yes, it's possible the moment has passed Canadian soccer by. The magic part of it, at least, disappeared in 1986 after Canada's last WC game. Yes, the team were a bunch of overachievers, but they were a team.

Locally, the magic moment was (my belief) in 1975 when I went to a Caps game at Empire with 38,000 other fans to watch Pele and the Cosmos play against the local guys. The only other time I've seen that many people unanimously support one team like that was 4 years later against the same Cosmos franchise. But that was the magic evening when local soccer players were given something to aim for; when you could be a kid playing soccer and realistically dream about a pro career in the game.

Yes, the NASL game was a bit of a circus, with teams bringing in cheerleaders, and the 35 yard offside line, the "bonus points" system to encourage goal-scoring, and the shootout, but it was truly the only time in North American soccer history that people paid attention to the game. In town, yes, the Caps were hot, but never at the expense of the Canucks, even then in the pathetically laughable Milford era. Interest was more at the expense of the Lions, with the two franchises vying for fan dollars concurrently.

Yes, we live in a hockey world. There's nothing wrong with that. However, there still should be some room for other sports in our heads as well as in our local rags. It's not the population base either: a country called "Sweden" with 8 million people in it is competitive in both soccer and hockey, and you can bet that press coverage is there. Bork, bork, bork...

Locally, what does this translate to? It means that while Chappers may have tried to justify his publication's (lack of) footy content by pointing at his phone complaints and the demands of advertisers, the lack of non-hockey relevant local sports coverage in ALL local publications is deplorable. Ask rugby players (who do have the world-class ranking that soccer-playing Canadians can only dream of) what they think of the press. WTF does the Province think we need 4-5 pages of NFL or MLB coverage for? Or NASCAR, for fcuk's sake?

Our local papers are published by 2nd-class-Merkin wannabees; the only way to fix this is to vote with your dollars and don't buy them. Don't advertise in them until they break down and starting publishing relevant content again. As much as we all slagged SPH for buying their team photo into the paper, they have the right idea in today's "climate."

Sorry to see Frank go from the helm. I wish there was a way that he could have been persuaded to stay, but with the financial status of the game being what it is, and the terminal stupidity of the donkeys running the CSA, there wasn't a hope of keeping him there. What's really shocking is that Guinness is right for once. With the CSA's reputation of an Insane Klown Possee, who would take the job other than somebody like Mitchell? Not bloody likely that we'd be able to attract a Hiddink or Mulatinovich. Until the sport is purged of these dolts, the state of the game in Canada is staying right where it is.:mad:

Trece

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well summarized.

Chicken and egg scenario. In order to turn the apathy (I will always contend we have more footy fans in this Province than "Football" fans, just the footy fans have nobody to support) into active enthusiasm, you need the National Squad to be a prominent player on the world scene. That means qualification for the WC, and consistent appearances.

To get there, we need stronger domestic competition. Period. We can have 12-20 players signed and playing in the EPL, but the lack of cohesion, travel, and unwillingness of those EPL clubs to release players works against us.

So, how do we get stronger domestic competition? MLS.

The MLS would serve as a conduit for improving our National Men's squad...essentially a smaller, scaled down US model. Say what you want, but they have now appeared in every WC since '94. They have the blueprint.

In time, would fans support the MLS? Who knows...savvy footy fans, possibly not, as again, it isn't the best. But, for the casual fan, that doesn't know better (ie: typical Vancouverite fickle fan)? I think they would...with the new facility, and with a ranked WC team.

The numbers are in our favor...more kids playing soccer than any other sport in Canada, and it is still the most popular sport worldwide. It will never replace hockey here, but it doesn't need to.

Sadly, what stands in our way right now is a minority voice out of Gasstown, and limp wristed politicians. Kerfoot is riding in on a fcuking stallion to do what is needed to save Soccer in this country, and the Vancouver council is standing in the path.

Sad...:(

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What is sad, and it pains me to say it, is that I hope the USA go really deep and have a shot at a semi or final appearance in this World Cup.
If the states do well in something they through gobs of cash at it. And how the States go, so goes the Great White North.

Footy can be big in Canada, but it will be as big as Hockey is in the States... Only places where the weather makes Soccer pallettable close to year round will be able to really thrive.

An MLS franchise here, in Montreal and in TO will help...But we will never get really good. Neither will the states and that is why Beasley and Reyna and others need to be in Europe...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, Australia is on the verge of handing Japan a 3-1 drubbing, where Japan's only goal was very questionable. Yes, Japan, where the J-League is arguably a stronger, much richer league than the MLS.

Somebody please tell me about the Aussie FA. Tell me how Australia, a very comparable country to our own in population, economy, political environments, and most importantly, it's remoteness from other true soccer nations, is competing in the WC? Have I missed a memo on the dominant Australian domestic soccer league (like here, football means something else)?

Bored, help us out a bit here...

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's pretty easy to figure out, even for you. The Aussies are more successful with their football for the same reasons they are more successful than Canada in most other sports/athletics. They put more money into their programs. A hell of a lot more.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess I was being facetious.

You know when the podiums for ski freestyle or snowboarding are dominated by tanned Aussie surfers, there is a good reason.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Please, let's try and keep live WC scores/results in the designated threads to not spoil it for others.

Thanks.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
IF you can, listen to Pratt and Taylor right now. They're debating the same argument as Reed and Thomo. FYI - Taylor is the idoit here.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The "best athletes play hockey" argument is still BS. Most athletes in Canada, especially hockey and soccer, are there because their parents registered them for it. In hockey, specifically, we are the best because we have high registration, and the best programs. The best players are identified, and pushed. Through pushing them till they quit from burn-out, they are left with the best of the best willing to dedicate their lives to the sport. NOT because our best athletes, at 5 years old, chose the sport.

Newsflash: we have the numbers in soccer...more, actually. No reason why they can't be identified young, and be placed in high performance programs.

CSA could learn a lot from Hockey Canada, IMO.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
Newsflash: we have the numbers in soccer...more, actually. No reason why they can't be identified young, and be placed in high performance programs.
But then they wouldn't be allowed to play for their high school. ;)

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The "best athletes play hockey" argument is still BS
It's not BS when you think about it. There is something to strive for in hockey with the "NHL dream" and kids, I believe, pick hockey when they’re young because it’s in every bloody paper, on every TV and talked about constantly, especially in the cities that have an NHL team. From a parental stand point: parents know the hockey has structure, proper development programs that those programs could lead somewhere not to mention it has leagues for all better players to aim for straight up to the NHL.

As for them choosing their sport parents all live vicariously through their kids, but honestly, in most cases I believe the kid will decide when he's ready. No, not at 5, but at 12 thru 14 when they have to.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude said:
The "best athletes play hockey" .
Not far from the truth... lets take the Vancouver metro soccer league players for instance , these guys are average atheletes at best and would have definately been only average at hockey as well. The FVSL is a different story as this league has great players that could possibly turn pro but unfortunately don't get the exposure due to the fact that scouts don't come out to the valley.:D Chances are if the FVSL played hockey we'd all be making the big bucks in the NHL.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0