Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

fresh water fishing

trapper

May 21, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The DFO was dragging it's feet on Monday. They were saying there might be an opening for commercial all the way up until 4:00pm Monday. During that time they were bringing in more enforcement officers from back east. They knew the commercial fleets were going to protest fish and they wanted to be ready. The commercial fleets have called off the protest fishery because the DFo warned them that there was going to be extra enforcement on the water now that these new officers have been brought in. SO they basically fed the commercial lies until they had their officers ready. Now the commercial are screwed. First, they don't get to fish at all this year, and the FN's do. Second, if they have a protest fishery, they can't sell the fish so they would have to give them away, and they will get charged on top of that.

I feel sorry for the commercial guys, as they have had their livelyhood taken away from them. There will be a lot of people going out of business because of this. If the gov't thinks this will help the fish farms, they are sadly mistaken. The only people that come out of this issue unscathed is the FN. Food fish my a$$. There was a guy in Ladner going door to door asking if people wanted to buy "food" fish from him. Shut the river down to everyone. That's the only fair thing to do. But it will never happen, the DFO has no nuts!

younguy

Nov 14, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
trapper said:
No sockeye opening this year. Too many at risk runs coming through at the same time. It's too bad, thay are a tasty fish.

I saw this on the DFO website yesterday, maybe there'll be a bit of a flossing fest after all ... hope for the best, expect the worst

Fishery Notice

Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject: FN0637-Salmon: Fraser River Sockeye Update - August 30, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further to FN0630, details on the stock status of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon provided by the Pacific Salmon Commission at the Monday August 29 Fraser River Panel meeting are as follows.

Test fishing catches of sockeye through the marine approach routes have declined recently. However, as a result of the continued presence of Early Summer-run sockeye in the marine assessment areas, the run size estimate for the Early Summer-run component was increased to 500,000 sockeye. The run size estimate of 6,000,000 Summer-run sockeye remains unchanged. The run size
estimate of the Harrison component of the late run stock group was increased to 250,000 sockeye, while the remaining stocks in this timing group are currently expected to return near the 75 percent probability forecast level of 81,000 sockeye. There is currently a significant presence of late run sockeye in all areas. Purse seine test fishing catches of pink salmon in Johnstone Strait and Juan de Fuca Strait have been at moderate levels over the past few days.

Fraser River temperature and flow conditions are currently satisfactory for the migration of sockeye and pink salmon.

Commercial fishing opportunities targeting Fraser River sockeye are not available at this time. Recreational opportunities above the Vedder River may be considered.

The next update will be Friday September 2, 2005 following the next Fraser River Panel meeting.

For more information, contact Paul Ryall at (604) 666-0115.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0637
Sent August 30, 2005 at 1528

trapper

May 21, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess that is possibly good news for the flossing crowd. I doubt they will open it, but you never know. There is several sports fishing groups putting pressure on the DFO. Will they buckle?

And then there's the whole flossing issue. Should it be allowed or not? Personally, I consider it no different than snagging, and snagging is illegal!! It is proven that sockeye do not bite when they are on their migratory path. I wish they would close the sockeye fishery altogether on the Fraser. It would definately end the confrontations. I've seen numerous fist fights and even saw a knife pulled on a guy. Absolutley ridiculous. Make flossing illegal or end the fishery for good. They never should have opened it up in 1992 for sporties. But, that's just my opinion. I'm sure there is many people on this board who do go sockeye fishing, and love it. i guess the fights add some excitement to the day if the fishing is slow!

trapper

May 21, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just heard from a buddy in the know that they will open the sockeye floss fest on Thursday for 4 days. The DFO post should come out later today. Let the games begin!!

younguy

Nov 14, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
trapper said:
I guess that is possibly good news for the flossing crowd. I doubt they will open it, but you never know. There is several sports fishing groups putting pressure on the DFO. Will they buckle?

And then there's the whole flossing issue. Should it be allowed or not? Personally, I consider it no different than snagging, and snagging is illegal!! It is proven that sockeye do not bite when they are on their migratory path. I wish they would close the sockeye fishery altogether on the Fraser. It would definately end the confrontations. I've seen numerous fist fights and even saw a knife pulled on a guy. Absolutley ridiculous. Make flossing illegal or end the fishery for good. They never should have opened it up in 1992 for sporties. But, that's just my opinion. I'm sure there is many people on this board who do go sockeye fishing, and love it. i guess the fights add some excitement to the day if the fishing is slow!

agreed, the "sport" is taken out of it cause you're just snagging it in the side of the mouth. but with a leader size restriction and a limit of 2, it IMO is hard to feel guilty when you pass a FN with a drift net walking a shopping cart full of food fish down the side of the road.

personally, sockeyes a great tasting fish and a highlight of the season for me, and if i have to floss (snag) it in the mouth to get it in the freezer, smoker or on the bbq, then thats what i'll do.

trapper

May 21, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear you about the nets. Disgusting. The leader length would definately work, but will they ever do it? Doubt it!

Don't get me wrong, I love sockeye too and I would much rather see guys flossing them then buying them from natives. Flossing is more of a harvest than a fishery. i just hope that by opening it up for the 4 days, if they do, that the cultus run isn't wiped out. Or any of the other endangered runs aren't wiped out. Too bad I won't be here, I'll be up in the 100 Mile House area doing some stillwater flyfishing. If I was here, I'd probably go snag... I mean floss a few sockeye myself.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
trapper said:
I hear you about the nets. Disgusting. The leader length would definately work, but will they ever do it? Doubt it!

Don't get me wrong, I love sockeye too and I would much rather see guys flossing them then buying them from natives. Flossing is more of a harvest than a fishery. i just hope that by opening it up for the 4 days, if they do, that the cultus run isn't wiped out. Or any of the other endangered runs aren't wiped out. Too bad I won't be here, I'll be up in the 100 Mile House area doing some stillwater flyfishing. If I was here, I'd probably go snag... I mean floss a few sockeye myself.
maybe you can get mcdonalds to make a sockeyeofish for your belly div 1 bound !!!!!unlucky on your coaching debut:rolleyes: :p :wa:

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alright...what is new in the world of fresh water fishing?

Where are the hotspots?

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is where I am going in June....25miles off the Bermuda Isles...And its going to be hot!!

Attachments

• Tuna-Argus.jpg
    Tuna-Argus.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 81

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess you have a problem with 75deg water? This little spot on the west side of Somerset fishes well on a medium low tide...Bonefish on the fly are what dreams are made of...

Attachments

• Bonefish-LongBayWeb.jpg
    Bonefish-LongBayWeb.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 74

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts