Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

General Banter

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big Trade

A trade between the Pacers and the Bulls went through this morning.Jalen Rose,Travis Best and Austin Croshere to the Bulls for Mercer,Artest and Miller.Rose must of wanted out of Indiana cuz he is by far the most talented player out of this lot.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Slight correction there, Jimbo...

Here is the trade - The Bulls acquired Rose, Travis Best and rookie Norman Richardson, along with a conditional second-round draft pick, in exchange for Miller, Ron Mercer, Ron Artest and Kevin Ollie.

Some theories:

1) Rose wanted the PG spot to himself but found a battle for minutes with surprise rookie Jamaal Tinsley and vet Travis Best.

2) Rose was feuding with Isiah Thomas over playing time and the continual shuffle he was going through in regards to positions (Rose was playing the 1, 2 and 3 this season on a regular basis)

3) Obviously a youth movement for the Pacers. Mercer comes in and plays the 2/3 position Rose was straying away from. Artest gives them an excellent young, on-the-ball defender, something they lost when Harrington went down with injury. Miller gives them a big body in the paint to help O'Neal with rebounding and the constant double-teams he sees. Losing Rose and Best also gives the bulk of the PG minutes to Tinsley, who will be backed up by Ollie.

4) I think both teams upgrade from this trade. Best was totally expendable for Indy, but will be a major contributor to the Horri-Bulls. Mercer, Miller and Artest will all get quality minutes with the Pacers and each fill a need the team has been lacking all year. A thing to look out for in Indiana - the youth - Tinsley, Harrington, Bender, O'Neal, Artest, Miller, Mercer, Croshere - all of these guys have played under 4 years of pro ball and all are on the upside of their potential. Indy could be a force in the next few seasons, when these guys fully mature.

Wildcard is obviously Rose. If he can maintain his scoring touch and defensive presence, he gives Chicago a go-to guy and a team leader, something they haven't had in a long, long time. On the flip side, he could just fall into the losing attitude that goes along with being a Bull. Time will tell.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
just to give some perspective...

With this trade, Krause traded away the top three Bulls scorers for a guy who averages 18.5 points per game (Rose) and a backup PG who averages 6.9ppg (Best).

Artest, Miller and Mercer all average over 12ppg. The more I read about this trade, the more I think Indy got a steal. Walsh is a good GM.

Krause is a fat GM. If he thinks Rose is going to be a superstar, or someone he can build a team around, he's in for a shock. Indy tried that until they realized that he's no better than Reggie Miller is/was, and that Jermaine O'Neal would be the leader of this team for years to come. Thus, Rose becomes expenda-Bull.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jim Rome

Thanks Sensei

I was listening to the team this morning when Jim Rome reported this trade,he was so caught up in bashing the Canadian olympic hockey team to Mike Tyson that he mixed up the players involved.Serves me right to listen to a knob like that.:eek:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nevermind Romey, howabout that bitch from Beantown who called Lemieux "Fario"? Talk about a lack of brain cells...openly mocking the world's greatest active player before the medal round....hopefully it comes back to collectively bite the US in the ass. Wankas.

I think Romey does have a point about Gretz trying to motivate the troops with his little speech at the press conference last night. Do you think The Great One actually believes all the stuff he was spewing? I doubt it. Just a good strategical move by a guy who wants to bring out the emotion in his troops.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big Trade in Big D

SH,

I was hoping you would have some insight into this huge trade that made last night.
I know everyones mind is on hockey, but this is a biggy, for Nash's team.

HOScouldDUNKinhisday:cool:

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is a huge trade, and another example of why Cuban is an awesome owner. Sure, he runs his mouth and can be a bit of a sideshow, but he's simply not afraid to drop big bucks to improve his squad.

I don't know how Van Exel will fit in with Dallas. He's a huge talent but often regarded as a headcase and a poison in the locker room. Nelson has a choice - does he stick with Nash as the starting PG, or go with a guy who has better numbers and athleticism in Van Ex? The only thing that put Nash on the all-star team and kept Van Exel off it was the fact that Denver stunk while Dallas had the best record in the West. It'll be hard to justify sitting either guy. Many question if Van Exel will be content with being a back-up, or playing less than he was in Denver. Given the fact that he wants to get on a winning team, my guess is that for one season, he'll swallow his pride and just ride the wave into the playoffs. Remember, he hasn't seen post-season ball since his early days with the Lakers.

Nelson has long been regarded as a basketball genius who defies convention and goes with messed-up lineups. So, this trade with Denver could be a blessing is disguise. Realistically, he could throw out a lineup of Nash-Van Exel-Finley-Nowitzki-LaFrentz. They'd have a small backcourt, but a big frontcourt to compensate. He'd also have a nice bench with Abdul-Wahad, Najera, Wang, Bradley and Buckner.

What this trade really did was make Dallas one of the few teams that could stand a chance of beating the Lakers come playoff time. LaFrentz is a great shot-blocker and an good inside presence. Lots of teams, espeically eastern conference ones (where every team is starving for some size) were vying for his services.

I think the Mavericks figure that if you can't contain Shaq and Kobe, you have to outscore them. Offensively, there's not a better team in the NBA right now. They have 5 starters who average over 15ppg, each capable of taking and hitting big shots in the clutch. That makes them extremely hard to defend.

They're also much more versatile now. LaFrentz gives them something of a post scorer, which Howard never really did. They can run and gun, which is obvious, but now they're also a good spot-up shooting team who can execute in the half-court.

But the defense still sucks. It'll be fun to watch in Dallas though.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forget defense, the fcuking NBA sucks

At what point does one get sick and tired of shite like this? These fcukers are given WAY too many chances. A fcuk like this, should just have his fcuking contract nullified, although his 12 illegitimate children might suffer. He is a fcuking cnut.

Kemp suspended for violating terms of drug program
AP Photo

More Photos

February 22, 2002

TUALATIN, Ore. (AP) -- Portland Trail Blazers forward Shawn Kemp was suspended indefinitely without pay by the NBA on Friday for violating terms of the league's anti-drug agreement.

The NBA said the suspension will continue until he has resumed full compliance with his treatment program. Kemp, who also has battled weight problems, left the Blazers late last season for treatment of cocaine abuse.

``Obviously we're very sadly disappointed, but we're very supportive of Shawn and his efforts in his personal life. We're pulling for Shawn,'' Blazers president and general manager Bob Whitsitt said.

Kemp, who signed a seven-year, $98 million contract in 1997 after moving from Seattle to Cleveland, is averaging 5.8 points, 3.2 rebounds and 13.6 minutes in 52 games this season, his second with Portland. Each game Kemp misses will cost him $141,889 of his $12.77 million salary.

``I talked to Shawn a little while ago,'' Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks said. ``He's a little sad, a little disappointed in himself. He says he's going to come back, he's going to do everything he has to do to get back.''

Last season, Kemp took a leave of absence from the team with eight games left in the regular season. Three days later, the Blazers said he would enter a substance abuse program.

He averaged 6.5 points in 2000-01, his lowest output since his rookie season with Seattle in 1989-90.

In Portland's 90-84 win over Seattle on Wednesday night, Kemp had 10 points and six rebounds in 20 minutes. He had seven points in the Blazers' 94-79 victory over Atlanta on Thursday night.

``Shawn's been wonderful all season,'' Whitsitt said. ``He's been on time, he's been early, he's been putting in extra work. From a basketball and teammate perspective he's as good as I've ever seen him in my entire life.''

Kemp, a six-time All-Star, was one of the league's rising talents when he was with Seattle. During the 1999 lockout, his weight ballooned to more than 300 pounds, and his production dropped.

When Kemp left an Atlanta drug rehabilitation center last year, he said he had one goal: ``Just to be great again.''

At the start of the season, Kemp was Cheeks' first player off the bench, playing power forward and center.

Although Kemp, 32, was not suspended by the league last year, the absence counted as Kemp's first strike against the anti-drug policy. It is up to the medical director of the substance abuse program to determine if this latest incident counts as strike two.

Players with three strikes face a two-year ban from the league.

``My understanding is that as soon as Shawn is in compliance, he will be available to play,'' Whitsitt said.

Fcuking overpaid drug addicts.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is basketball in Canada over?

The Raptors are doing everything they can to miss the NBA playoffs. So what are the chances of them moving out of Toronto?
Vince seems uninspired, Wilkins is old school, no defense, could missing the playoff make people uninterested? 13 losses in a row and counting.

Just a thought at a topic, any comments?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They look horrible.

I watched the Dallas game last night and its clear that this team has too many passengers and not enough captains. Yeah, that's right, they need a Burnsie.

Seriously though, its obvious that Wilkens and Carter are awful for this team at the moment. Both are very talented at their respective positions, but neither have the "fire-up-the-troops" mentality or demeanor which is desperately needed during a 13-game losing streak.

It doesn't look any better in the future for the Raps, either. They've got Miami tonight, who after starting the season on a brutal losing streak are now climbing back into playoff contention. Then they hit a streak where they face a ton of tough Western Conference teams. Ainge noted last night that given how things are going at the moment, the Raps could very well be mired in a 20 game losing streak given the quality opposition they have to face in the upcoming weeks.

I don't think they're in danger of losing the team, though. They've got a marketable superstar in Carter, and have gotten well over the expansion team hump by making the playoffs the past two seasons. In terms of their former Canadian counterparts, the Grizz, they're miles ahead. Air Canada center still gets excellent crowds and the team has established some loyal fans who can part from Leaf games every now and again to watch some b-ball.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bad news for Orlando, as T-Mac went down with a scary-looking injury tonite. Left the floor on a stretcher after laying motionless for a few minutes. Early reports say severe back spasms after he was hit by Robert Traylor (that fat pig had to be good for something).

This is gonna put them out of playoff contention, combined with the loss of Mike Miller to an ankle injury. That's nearly 40ppg they lose right there. The image from tonite's game....

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dallas

Mavericks sent a hush over Arco Arena tonight.

Nash lights it up with 30.

Sacramento is going down.

Like the announcers were saying, it's just a track meet out there.

:D

GO MAVS GO

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Laker 3 peat.

Did anyone watch the utter dismantling of the Nets last week and this? I've never seen a team have such little or no fear or respect of an opponent as I did with the Lakers and Nets.

It was a piss take from he word go. There only thing that kept it some what respectable was Jason Kidd. I think he is by far the most complete all around player the NBA has know since Magic Johnson.

I'm a huge fan of the Lakers and Kobe, but Kidd is simply the best. He is one or two rebounds or assists from a triple double every night. Very impressive in today's soft scorers game.

What happened to Mitch Richmond? This guy use to be one of the brightest NBA stars now he's so far down the Lakers Depth chart he only had one hoop the entire NBA playoff's and it was the lakers last shot? What did I miss?

The other question I have is when will the East put out a team that can deal with such a dominate West? Even if Sacramento happened to beat LA :rolleyes: it surely would have been a walk for them as well.

Anyone?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Laker 3 peat.

Originally posted by knvb
What happened to Mitch Richmond? This guy use to be one of the brightest NBA stars now he's so far down the Lakers Depth chart he only had one hoop the entire NBA playoff's and it was the lakers last shot? What did I miss?

The other question I have is when will the East put out a team that can deal with such a dominate West? Even if Sacramento happened to beat LA :rolleyes: it surely would have been a walk for them as well.

Mitch Richmond never figured out the triangle offense, had a bum knee and from the get-go was just there to collect his paycheque and a ring at the end of the season. I don't know what NBA you've been watching, but he was a bright star about 10 years ago, during the Run TMC days in Golden State. He hasn't been a legit player for about 3-4 seasons. Rotting away in Sacramento and Washington will do that to you.

The East needs a few quality big men in the conference to make a run at the West. The team from the east that would have provided the best matchup for the Lakers were the Hornets, with the trifecta of big guys in Magliore, Brown and Campbell. Unfortunately for them, losing Mashburn put way too much strain on a backcourt that really featured only two players in Baron Davis and David Wesley.

Indiana's going to be the next great team out of the East. O'Neal and Miller is as good (and young) a frontcourt as any in the NBA.

Also, if the Nets played the Kings in the finals, there's no way it would have been a sweep. Six or Seven games, guaranteed.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another classs move by an NBA dickhead

Iverson will be charged with criminal trespass, simple assault, terroristic threats and gun offenses, District Attorney Lynne Abraham said. Four of the counts are felonies, and Iverson faces up to 54 years in prison if convicted of all the charges. I hope they lock the fcuker up. It is about time one of these cokcsuckers was thrown in jail for breaking the law.....

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Iverson gun story sounds loony, ... he broke down a door and had a gun...not good, but not exactly Law and Order material.

But he does sell the most jerseys of all nba'ers so this kind of thing is a nightmare. In a broad spectrum what does this say about professional sports as a role model for our society?
I know it's a bit of age-long question.
How do we keep perspective when... the "bad boys" are kind of legends in sport (Dennis Rodman) and model what a lot of teenagers and twentysomethings admire...which is fueled by the business/marketing end of sport. Society's " moral consensus" is vulnerable to the demands and spoils of capitalism. But then again, I like my MTV! :rolleyes:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0