Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Globe & Mail: Whitecaps Win MLS Expansion Race!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If it turns out that Vancouver can indeed "negotiate" the terms of the expansion fee, Montreal will have gotten the shaft.

In Montreal, you have really, the perfect setup with an expandable soccer stadium, proven track record in attracting and retaining a knowledgeable fan-base, and more importantly (in hindsight), a business man who knew the market and the fair price to enter the league 6 months before anyone else.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Magic? Imagine that. I thing this whole intraweb thing is magic, and bound to collaps. Invest in paper, pens, and stamps, people.

You heard it here first.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And dust collection machine thingamajiggies. Industrial ones. I would surmise a lot of dust in the collapse aftermath.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
And the gear to put the fires out in the dust collector thing-a-ma-jiggies too! ;)

still waiting for some RFQ's Dude ;)

Back on topic: One of the well placed in the business community guys I know heard this news last week and had basically all the same stuff that was mentioned in this Globe report. People requesting anonymity annoys me ;)

I am hoping above all that those losers in Porkland get the second franchise.

However that will cripple the USL if three of the big 4 mainstays in USL1 go to MLS (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and Montreal)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm *guessing* that something is going to be announced Monday or Tuesday.

It's a VERY strong *guess* that I may or may not have pulled out of my ASS.

Shhhhh.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think I need to Copyright the use of ASS now. It has become awesome and epic. Copyright pending for awsomness and epicness.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to admit, Epic is an Epic word. A word for the ages.

FAIL is just over popular right now. I have yet to decide to jump on or off the FAIL bandwagon.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it has more to do with the other team's proposals than the Whitecaps. They probably want to announce both teams at the same time, and the Whitecaps are a shoe-in. They are having a tough time making a decision on the other franchise, and things like Portland's stadium getting the go-ahead could be why they keep delaying. They have a city in mind that they want, so they're giving as much time as possible for that city to make sure it can follow through with it's proposal. Just my guess.

FriendsofSoccer

Apr 29, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Bill" has probably forgotten that he automagically "posts" here.

:D

I didn't forget Regs, and I do drop by every once in awhile. :) The FoS blog only gets updated when there's any real news regarding the stadium or MLS bid, and all of that is kind of sparse these days. I don't expect there to be anything major happening for awhile, other than a formal announcement that the Caps are in.

If you happen to pick up one of my blog posts and you find it's already about something that's been talked to death and covered here, I have no problems if you delete it.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
team 1040 just reported that MLS brass will be in vancouver over the next couple of days to anounce that them and portland have landed 2011 franchises.

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
team 1040 just reported that MLS brass will be in vancouver over the next couple of days to anounce that them and portland have landed 2011 franchises.

In the link I posted, the comments about needing to hold off on an anouncement came from Garber himself. These guys haven't a clue what they are doing next...

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
sportsnet was reporting this tonight as well, i didn't see portland named, but definitely saw vancouver.... apparently cbc and tsn were reporting the same thing

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0