Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Globe & Mail: Whitecaps Win MLS Expansion Race!

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Prospect of MLS franchise coming to Vancouver looking good

BY IAN WALKER, VANCOUVER SUN MARCH 13, 2009

The Vancouver Whitecaps could be awarded a Major League Soccer franchise by as early as mid-week.

Discussions between the defending United Soccer Leagues First Division champions and North America's premier soccer loop continue to progress, and barring a setback over the next few days, an official announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

Vancouver has long been rumoured to be granted one of two expansion teams for the 2011 season.

The Whitecaps' bid is the strongest of the four remaining candidates — which includes Ottawa, Portland and St. Louis — and recently jumped to the top of the list of potential suitors with Miami's decision to withdraw from the running earlier this month. Atlanta and Montreal also dropped out of the bid process.

While Local radio reports on Friday indicated a deal between the Whitecaps and MLS was in place, club president Bob Lenarduzzi said that just isn't the case.

"They're premature," said Lenarduzzi. "We're still talking. It's not done. We're hopeful, but as of right now it's not done."

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
wtf the music makes me think im waiting at the doctors office. thx for the link though..

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good stuff, thanks for the link!

The only downer, and it is a small thing, but I find the website a bit disappointing... it could/should have been much more engaging. As it is now, it's blah.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Since I didn't see it, have any terms of how MLS is going to deal with the player development system that the Whitecaps have in place, since they frown upon such development?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Garber was just on Team 1040 and said it is something they are still looking at. Mentioned that the model that the Caps have in place now is something that the league may want other teams to follow.

The other thing that came out is that the expansion fee was $35M cash.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Garber was just on Team 1040 and said it is something they are still looking at. Mentioned that the model that the Caps have in place now is something that the league may want other teams to follow.

The other thing that came out is that the expansion fee was $35M cash.

Not bad, saved a cool $5M. If other teams started to develop like the Caps, would the draft disappear? What would colelege players do, go to the highest bidder? I would hope they would follow a European model as it's odd we're the only 2 countries whose talent is found by a draft.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Models can also evolve. Likely the MLS has an interest in protecting the NCAA system, thus the draft. The European models- I don't think- involve nearly as extensive University athletic programs.

Why not a combined system, similar to the model followed by the NHL with respect to NCAA and leagues like the BCJHL? What would stop the Whitecaps from doing what they do now regarding player development under a non-proffessional type contract, and using the NCAA as another place to send some players for further seasoning?

If other clubs followed this model, the end result may in fact be a stronger NCAA system. The draft may evolve into a way for teams to get their hands on unattached players

This is great news, BTW. Very exciting say for football in this city and country. I'll be alooking into seasons tickets.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

I think the key stumbling block with the MLS is that it is the league that actually "owns" the players (for lack of a better term) - players sign contracts with the league, not the individual clubs.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I maybe getting ahead of the game here, but is there any info yet about exsisting season ticket holders and the transfer, or relocation to b.c. place stadium and your tickets? do we go back on the list, or do we get to chose our seats?. no doubt the price will go up.

also, i'm personaly excited about this because of what was recenlty anounced at a managers meeting for indoor at 8-rinks. that chelsea will be playing seattle july 18th in seattle. this makes me wonder, could eurpean teams such as chelsea, maybe real madrid and other big ticket clubs, could this lead to games between the caps and them here in vancouver?...cause that would be awesome.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs you are right. The big stumbling block is that MLS owns the players contracts.

This however could be changed very quickly.

The league set up this way to avoid the repeat of the miscreant's led NASL fiasco of the late 70's early 80's.

The owners are mostly of other Sport's Business Fame (Krafts own the Patriots and N.E. Revolution, Anschutz's group owns the Lakers and AEG also owns the Galaxy, Hunt family owns the Giants IIRC and an MLS Franchise) which are all typical Sports Franchises that are based on the North American Draft style of system vs the Caps Euro-style Pyramid Club System.

The Club System will always make more sense to Purists, and could prove to be more cost prohibitive, yet more potentially lucrative longterm with the export of players to Europe if brought up in North America (Ie. Maurice Edu transfer to Rangers, Caps residency having players sold/onloan to Energie Cottbus)

Mallett was just on the Team 1040 and Ball asked him what the deal was with this and he said the Caps group would not have put pen to paper without getting some feeling that the BOG would listen to the Caps reasoning on keeping the Pyramid Style Club system.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I maybe getting ahead of the game here, but is there any info yet about exsisting season ticket holders and the transfer, or relocation to b.c. place stadium and your tickets? do we go back on the list, or do we get to chose our seats?. no doubt the price will go up.

also, i'm personaly excited about this because of what was recenlty anounced at a managers meeting for indoor at 8-rinks. that chelsea will be playing seattle july 18th in seattle. this makes me wonder, could eurpean teams such as chelsea, maybe real madrid and other big ticket clubs, could this lead to games between the caps and them here in vancouver?...cause that would be awesome.

Yes,

Current and New USL Caps Season's Ticket Holders go to the front of the line and don't need to put down deposits as of yet. Those go on sale to the public on Saturday.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm told by good sources that ticket prices at BC Place will cost (on average for seasons tickets) in and around $15-$20 per seat for the "Cheap Seats" and range up to $60-ish per game for the Club seats that are going in for both the Leo's and Caps after the refurbishment of BC Place.

However I have been to some awesome meetings with another rep from the Southsiders group with the Club and they are really going to strive to have the supporters served in an awesome way, including the potential for some standing only terrace style areas. :D :D :D

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm told by good sources that ticket prices at BC Place will cost (on average for seasons tickets) in and around $15-$20 per seat for the "Cheap Seats" and range up to $60-ish per game for the Club seats that are going in for both the Leo's and Caps after the refurbishment of BC Place.

However I have been to some awesome meetings with another rep from the Southsiders group with the Club and they are really going to strive to have the supporters served in an awesome way, including the potential for some standing only terrace style areas. :D :D :D

Stoked about that!!! $15-20 isn't too bad either, even though it's an increase in my current ones, well worth it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have 2 boys whom I want to take to games.

If the Caps turn this thing into a circus like Toronto FC did, I will boycott and do everything I can to discredit the club.

:D

Southsiders in the terraces, TTPers in the club seats. The pecking order I see will stay the same in the future.

:D

Hawkvalley

Mar 17, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs Saputo is a smart guy. He loves Qubec he wants to stay Canadian. You will have maybe two three Canadians on you Vancouver side if they go to MLS as they are.What was that country they just went to play? Four guys will come from that country.
I just can not see you guys thinking straight. Just think about. We are better off with seven Canadians in a A league. You might see Cunucks owners buy the BC place and srew the guys out of place to play. It might be his team yet. You never know.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0