Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Globe & Mail: Whitecaps Win MLS Expansion Race!

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is what I got off wikipedia.

"Each team plays 30 games, evenly divided between home and away matches. Each team competes against every other team twice, home and away, for a total of 28 games. The remaining two games are intra-conference matches, often highlighting geographic and conference rivalries.

MLS has four berths in the CONCACAF Champions League. For CONCACAF Champions League 2009–10, qualifying teams include MLS Cup 2008 and Supporters' Shield winner the Columbus Crew, Supporters' Shield runner-up the Houston Dynamo, MLS Cup runner-up the New York Red Bulls, and 2008 U.S. Open Cup winner D.C. United. Columbus and Houston are automatically seeded into the Group Stage, while New York and D.C. are required to play in the Preliminary Round.

MLS also has four berths in SuperLiga, a competition jointly organized by MLS and Mexico's national football governing body, the FMF. The top four overall teams from the 2008 season, excluding those participating in the Champions League, qualify for SuperLiga 2009. This includes the Chicago Fire, the New England Revolution, the Kansas City Wizards, and Chivas USA."

Sounds pretty good to me so far, depending on prices of tickets. Nothing like a good night out at the caps game in the garden.

This excludes Canadian teams though. This is why they have that new 3 team canadian challange thing tournament. Actually it excludes canadian teams from some of the above mentioned. Not sure which or how as its sorta confuseing to me. We are defin out of the US open Lamar Hunt Cup.
And Canada is allowed 1 team through our chamionship to enter the CONCACAF Champions league,,,would we get 2 teams in if we win the MLS Cup?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
This excludes Canadian teams though. This is why they have that new 3 team canadian challange thing tournament. Actually it excludes canadian teams from some of the above mentioned. Not sure which or how as its sorta confuseing to me. We are defin out of the US open Lamar Hunt Cup.
And Canada is allowed 1 team through our chamionship to enter the CONCACAF Champions league,,,would we get 2 teams in if we win the MLS Cup?
The Canadian Cup is called the Voyageurs Cup or Commercially known as the "Nutrilite Canadian Champions Cup" which is a bit misleading as the Canadian Version is vastly different than the Lamar Hunt US Open cup which allows all amateur sides (Ala our FVSL, VMSL, VISL, PCSL, etc leagues) to represent as well just like the FA Cup does in England or the SFA Cup does in Scotland etc. Last year again there was a cinderella story run by Hollywood FC (An amateur side out of LA that knocked off some USL clubs and an MLS side too IIRC, that is filled with former stars and actors like Vinnie Jones, Alexi Lalas and others)

The Nutrilite Cup or V's Cup is just between Whitecaps FC, L'Impact De Montreal, and Toronto FC.

I would assume that if a situation ever unfolded where let's say TFC wins the MLS Cup and Whitecaps win the V's Cup yes, we would get two berths to the CONCACAF C.L. since they are all seperate entities in the view of CONCACAF just like the FA Cup is a seperate entity from the Barclay's Premier League in England.

Edit: They did knock off an MLS team, that was done by someone else in '07, but I can't be arsed to look it up... here is a link to their wikipedia page.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canadian Cup is called the Voyageurs Cup or Commercially known as the "Nutrilite Canadian Champions Cup" which is a bit misleading as the Canadian Version is vastly different than the Lamar Hunt US Open cup which allows all amateur sides (Ala our FVSL, VMSL, VISL, PCSL, etc leagues) to represent as well just like the FA Cup does in England or the SFA Cup does in Scotland etc. Last year again there was a cinderella story run by Hollywood FC (An amateur side out of LA that knocked off some USL clubs and an MLS side too IIRC, that is filled with former stars and actors like Vinnie Jones, Alexi Lalas and others)

The Nutrilite Cup or V's Cup is just between Whitecaps FC, L'Impact De Montreal, and Toronto FC.

I would assume that if a situation ever unfolded where let's say TFC wins the MLS Cup and Whitecaps win the V's Cup yes, we would get two berths to the CONCACAF C.L. since they are all seperate entities in the view of CONCACAF just like the FA Cup is a seperate entity from the Barclay's Premier League in England.

Edit: They did knock off an MLS team, that was done by someone else in '07, but I can't be arsed to look it up... here is a link to their wikipedia page.

do you own shares in wikipedia?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is Mr. Base explained in wikipedia?

On topic: can't see how they could / would ever, ever change the name. No way, no how.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
You can bet your bottom dollar that a fourth team will be added to the V Cup sooner than later...CSL Champion or national Amature Champion is my guess.
Oh and that other team to upset the MLS team was from Texas.
I am very excited for 2011.
Soccer is a growin

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0