Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gold Copa

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did you guys see that sequence? US hits the post, back to Us player who shoots, Hirsfeld saves, rebound goes to US player shoots, blocked by Canadian defender on the line, rebound goes back to US player who shoots at open net, Hirsfeld makes another fantastic save. Classic Canadian defending.:rolleyes:

Sorry about the grammer (writing style or whatever).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Associated Press

PASADENA, Calif. -- After 120 minutes of mostly watching his teammates play at the other end of the field, Kasey Keller finally got his chance to make some diving saves.

Josh Wolff and his U.S. teammates outshot Canada 36-10, but couldn't find the back of the net.

The U.S. goalkeeper batted away two penalty kicks after a scoreless tie in regulation and overtime Wednesday night as the United States beat defending champion Canada 4-2 on penalty kicks to gain the finals of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament.

The United States faces Costa Rica, a 3-1 winner over South Korea in the other semifinal, for the Gold Cup championship on Saturday at the Rose Bowl.

The U.S. team dominated the game, outshooting Canada 36-10, but could not get the ball into the net until the penalty kicks.

Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, Jeff Agoos and Clint Mathis each made his penalty shot against goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld, who had kept Canada in the game by making 15 saves -- to Keller's 3.

"We were a little unlucky not to get a goal," U.S. coach Bruce Arena said. "We clearly deserved to win this game. I give Canada credit for fighting hard for 120 minutes, but in all honesty, I think the better team won."

As his teammates were making their first four kicks from the spot, Keller sprawled to his left and blocked a low liner by Kevin McKenna, Canada's first kicker. After Paul Stalteri and Dwayne DeRosario made their kicks for Canada, Keller dived to his right and blocked Tam Nsaliwa's shot to give the United States the win.

"I thought we played great, probably our best performance," Donovan said. "We were a little bit unlucky, but we did everything we needed to win. It wasn't our night, though, until the end."

On a chilly night when temperatures dipped into the 30s, attendance was only 7,241 in the 90,000-plus seat Rose Bowl. Several U.S. players, including Cobi Jones, DaMarcus Beasley and Donovan, wore gloves.

Hirschfeld, a reserve goalkeeper who has been filling in because starter Craig Forrest is recovering from cancer, was spectacular in goal during regulation and overtime.

Hirschfeld and defender Jason DeVos combined to stop a flurry of four shots within seconds during the 54th minute. Josh Wolff's shot from 11 yards hit high on the left post and bounced back in front of the goal. McBride then shot from 12 yards and Hirschfeld stretched and batted the ball forward and straight to Wolff.

Wolff made a hard bicycle kick toward the net, but DeVos headed the ball out, to McBride. McBride shot again, only to have Hirschfeld tip it away and out.

Mathis had been out since June because of torn knee ligaments. He made his second appearance in as many games, again entering the game as a second-half sub, this time for Wolff.

Wolff started in place of Ante Razov, who strained a groin muscle in Sunday's 4-0 U.S. win over El Salvador and also will miss Saturday's championship game.

The United States is 8-9-4 all-time against Costa Rica, which finished first -- and the United States second -- in the CONCACAF group in qualifying for this summer's World Cup. The two national teams split their games during the qualifying, however, each winning at home.

The United States has beaten the Costa Ricans all three times they've met in the Gold Cup tournament.

Costa Rica is led by Paulo Cesar Wanchope, who scored twice in the semifinal against South Korea and has four goals in the tournament.

The trip to the finals will be the fourth for the United States, which won just one of its earlier three Gold Cup title games, defeating Honduras on penalty kicks in 1991, the inaugural tournament.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Late night

CDK, that was some actionin front of the net!!! Hirshfield had a great game and was a little unrucky on the PK's... The Canadian team did us proud even with a limit ability level and Funding!!! US big bucks looked to dominate, but Hirshfield was on fire... 1:30 am I look at the clock struggling to stay awake watching the match and then I can't sleep!!! Fcuk!!! ah weel, we earned some more money to go into the Lenardbobaduzzi fund!!!:rolleyes:

GoCanadaGo-nextuptheOlympics!!!:D

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No matter how shite their style is, you can't knock the boys for their heart and commitment.

Also, missing players like Bircham, Forrest, Corrazin, Pesch and Radzinski. Not world beaters, but it forced guys like McKenna out of position and could have made a difference.

Could you imagine if we had Hargreaves in the midfield. A position in Canada's team that so desperately lacks imagination and skill.

Furthermore, kudos to Holger for getting a make shift squad to the semi-final of a tournament where five nations are going to WC2002. I am sure we would all agree that Lennard Bobbaduzzi would not have been able to do the same.

Buckfast

PS - Zenga, I guess Hirschfeld should have held those goalbound shots instead of perrying them, eh? Tit.

zeus

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hirschfield was the reason it went to PK's but he must be the worst Keeper at Pk's I've ever seen. I watched him in two previous games and PK's are his weak spot!!!

There was a shot about a foot to his right and he dived right over it. He did the exact same thing in PK's in prior games. They should have subbed(sp) him out for PK's.

I also think Jason Jordan should be on that team.....All Mckenna does is head the ball! I know he doesn't normally play there but
they're are better forwards than him!

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zeus,

To right about Hirschfeld being a little weak on Peno's. You just knew going into PK's that Keller would make the difference.

With that said, Jason Jordan?

I rather have Niall........or Woodsy for that matter up front.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big fat horseshoe.

Latest Gold Cup prediction:
The entire U.S. team succumbs to food poisoning -- Canada advances to final as the replacement.

That was the most spectacular display of dumb luck I've ever seen. Also, I can't understand how a keeper who can come up with a performance like that end up diving over balls on PK's. I think all the extra hair must keep him airborne longer than normally possible.

zeus

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JJ lit up Agoos last year when they played San Jose so he proved he could perform at that level. Niall who? Woodsy who?

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Buckfcuk!!!

All I said like you did is that he is horrible on penos!!!!

Do you not agree?????????????

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched most of the second half and extra time. They did work hard but we are so far behind the Americans. Technically, they were superior in all areas of the field (except that fcuking plunker number 2 who was shocking). They were quicker and they were missing 7 regulars, who are playing in Europe. However, there are some handy players on Canada. Devos is pretty solid back there and I really like the skill level of Jim Brennan. Also, the colored fellow with the diabolical gloves was a VERY good defender. The keeper obviously made some great saves to keep the score respectable but the bottom line is the lack of scoring again......

CaptainwhoknowsLenarduzziisafcukingidiot

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stats on Lars

In the summer when he played for Calgary, he stopped over 50% of the PK's he had against him.

That's not bad for a keeper who is poor in PK's.

HOSwhostoppedall5PK'sonce:eek:
In a Shootout Robert! Playing for Rogers Sportsmen.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Question:

How does one ttp all 5 PK's?

Or was HOS trying to say something else? :rolleyes:

~TB.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I had a nickel everytime I heard, "and Canada dodged another bullet" during this tournament, I'd be a Premium Memeber. This Canadian team amazes me -- they're like the soccer equivalent of Inspector Jacques Clouseau.

Did anyone else see their first goal against South Korea this morning? It took, not one, but two defenders to score an OG. Unbelievable.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronze

No one thought that Canada could get by the quarters, and they were able to get a 3rd place finnish.

Look what packing the box can do, look out for the Caps in Cup play.

HOSlikespackedbox:eek:

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watched the game in short segments. It was nice to see Canada win, regardless of how they got there. The game for the most part was very boring.

An OG by Korea, that only took two Koreans to finish. The second goal was a cracker, by De Rossario, who worked hard all game.

DeVos and McKenna both made the AllStar team. DeVos, I agree with, but McKenna looked absolutely useless, in my humble opinion, in this game. I would like to have seen more games to make a better judgment on McKenna. Any comments on this guy, was he better in other games?

I'm going to say Mark Rodgers had a great game, looked strong all game and won 99% of his tackles, very impressive effort from a Delta boy.

Well done for finishing 3rd...Lots of work left to do for Holger. Politics seem to still be the over riding factor in team selection.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
McKenna King up Front

He scored some great goals for Canada during this tourney, not bad for a player that normally plays in the back.

Nice to have a guy that is 6'4 up front.

His best goal of the tourney, was actually called back for off-side vs. Martinique, but the replay showed that he was well on-side.

Canada won on PK's, but they should have won in regulation time.

Thought Lars had a strong tourney in goal for Can. also.

I think a few of the players should think about cutting the long dreads or whatever they have on their heads.

HOS

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0