Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gold Cup 2007

mehmet

Aug 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty disappointing for the Canadians, but if they had taken their chances earlier in the match, the offside call in ET wouldn't have mattered.

I've been out of touch with Canadian soccer, but how many of the boys in red play in MLS and how many play in the English Premiership? Just curious to see if the MLS is making (or is going to make) a difference to Canadian soccer...

Keep up the good work keeper!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jazic, Onstad, & DeRosario play MLS as does Harmse, Pozniac (sp?) and Sutton (all subs)... another key player who didn't play this tourney from MLS is Jim Brennan.

EPL the only player at this time is Stalteri.

DeGuzman plays La Liga in Spain.

Hutchison plays in Denmark.

Most of the others play in lower levels in Europe. Except for Martin Nash.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, I've heard the same thing, DeGuzman MVP - he also made the starting 11 squad as did Hastings... Stalteri was honorable mention.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought Stalteri made the starting 11 all-star as well.

(So glad the cameras edited out Donovan's wrist-kissing today.)

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
2007 CONCACAF GOLD CUP™ All-Tournament Team Best XI :

Goalkeeper: Franck GRANDEL (GLP);
Defenders: Felipe BALOY (PAN), Richard HASTINGS (CAN), Frankie HEJDUK (USA), Carlos SALCIDO (MEX);
Midfielders: Walter CENTENO (CRC), Julian DEGUZMAN (CAN), Pablo MASTROENI (USA), Pavel PARDO (MEX);
Attackers: Carlos PAVON (HON), Blas PEREZ (PAN).

Honourable Mentions :

Goalkeeper: Jose Francisco PORRAS (CRC);
Defender: Jorge Samuel CABALLEROS (HON), Paul STALTERI (CAN);
Midfielder: DaMarcus BEASLEY (USA), Jose Andres GUARDADO (MEX);
Attacker: Jocelyn ANGLOMA (GLP), Landon DONOVAN (USA).

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What are the chances of De Guzman's brother playing for Canada for World Cup Qualifying? He is one of the best u-21 players in the world.

Apparently he is trying to get a Netherlands passport, as he has some ties to the country, so he can play for them in the World Cup.

If by chance he plays for Canada, it would be a huge boost for the team. Too bad we couldn't add Hagraves as well, would make for a pretty strong team. Hargraves is obviously out, but we can hold hope for De Guzman.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonathan de Guzman is viewed as one of the best young players in Holland, having started over 65 games for Feyenoord (Ok we won't hold that against him) in the last 2 years, either in UEFA or in the Eredivisie. Some people mention him in the same sentence as Kalou, Kuyt, and Wesley Schneider. Bear in mind though that the Dutch U21 side has won back-to back UEFA Championships, hammering Serbia just a could days ago in the final, so competition will not be easy Jonathan to achieve a spot on the National side. I think you will see him with a big club in the Premiership in the near future though, and will probably lose interest in playing for the Oranje once he leaves. But he has been in Holland for the past 8 years or so.

Some discussion about this if anyone is interested:

Jonathan De Guzman Thread - Page 2 - Soccer Fans Network Forums

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Marcel De Jong is another hotshot - rising star that plays in Holland (PSV ?) and is in the same boat as Jonathon De Guzman. At one time De Jong was in the running for a spot on the Dutch national team but was over looked at the very end. His star has now cooled off a bit but he still won't commit to Canada UNLESS things don't work out in Holland. He would also definately help.

He's actually Dutch and only lived in Canada for a very, very short amount of time. Usually, it's the other way around (Hargreaves, De Guzman etc...).

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
De Guzman and Jacob Lensky are the two young Canadians playing in Rotterdam for Feyenoord. They are both trying to pull a "hargreaves" but for good reasons. they were both told when they were younger that they would never play for the Nats, by current coaches of Nats team, then youth program coaches.

Again, the nice little renaissance the CSA is enjoying at the moment is still a far cry from where they could be if they had all of their sh1t together, rather than most of it...

And Atiba Hutchinson is most likely making a move out of Denmark to England, Scotland, Holland, or Spain if you trust the Sky Sports and Beeb sport sites...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honestly what coach would ever say " you will never play for the national team." Maybe they were denied at the time and told they need to improve this or that to get to the national level. Don't believe everything you here. Just because Hargreaves didn't make the team at 17 or whatever doesn't mean they wouldn't have wanted him if he stayed in canada and became a standout like he did in germany. Its an excuse they use to play for a better team.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutely,
But when you are told by a coach in this country that you are not being picked, or do not make the grade, and are told in such a way that obviously rubs you the wrong way and is said with no respect, or not in a "coaching" way what would you do?

I know a guy who still plays around Vancouver in various leagues and divisions who played in the youth program for Canada. Same thing, a family dispute with another well known soccer family here in Canada blocked his progress...

Politics are politics, but when Soccer Moms and Cliques are running Youth Associations all the way up to the BCSA And the CSA you know why we haven't qualified for a WC since 86.

De Guzman and Lensky are two kids that escaped Canada at the ages or 15 and 16 (Lensky from Vancouver to Celtic at 15 and De Guzman from TO to Feyenoord at 16) and where relative unknowns who have grown into great players.

Hargreaves simply moved to Munich at 16, what he did was bad simply as he never spent a day of his life with an Address in England. His dad is English, but if he did what De Guzman and Lensky are trying to do he would have been capped by Germany.

You guys can't tell me that you wouldn't do the same if given their history and set of circumstances...honestly anyways.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
De Guzman has been in Holland since he was 12 I believe...

I also believe that a strong "attitude" held by these players' parents has more to do with the kids leaving, i.e., my kid's shite doesn't smell - fcuk you, than an all-out rejection by a national team program.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I also believe that a strong "attitude" held by these players' parents has more to do with the kids leaving, i.e., my kid's shite doesn't smell - fcuk you, than an all-out rejection by a national team program.
That may be so in some or many circumstances (I don't fathom an accurate guess), however listening to that CBC Radio: One program and hearing DeGuzman's situation, I can't help but shake my head at the behaviour of the provincial (in this case, Ontario) soccer association. And I wouldn't be surprised if it happened more than once.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the "Did You Know" archive...

Canada has some players in their player lists that are not really Canadian but have a parent that is. Marc Bircham, Will Johnson and Issey Nakajima-Farran are a acouple to name a few.

Listed under players that could have played for Canadian National Teams is...

Landon Donovan! Yes that Landon Donovan that we've come to loathe and hate. Apparently, his father, Tim (a semi professional hockey player) was born in Nova Scotia and lives in BC (?). As a bizarre coincident, Landon was born in Ontario... California.

Some more useless information...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0