Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is BC Youth Soccer Okay? Apparently so...this year

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, just trolling through the old threads/discussions here and came across this one - it's amazing how much things just really stay the same!

It really seems that things are not getting any better though, it may argued that Metro-ford is finally getting to the stage where their youth is staying home and the Wolves are benefitting.

Everywhere else though, you have to wonder... one of the first posts in this thread mentioned Burnaby as a senior organisation to watch out for... well, maybe if you're in Div 1 :D

Youth aside, there just seems to be a plethora of suitcases in the senior leagues. Where's the loyalty? I mean, it's one thing to jump ship to a team like BRM, but what does it say when an impact player such as Matt Mori goes through 4 teams in a short period of time?

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I coach U15 Boys with Alouette Metro the club I grew up playing with. From U14 (possibly U13 this year) to U18 kids in Vancouver & the whole of the lower mainland have the option of playing “metro” soccer, a quality league for elite youth soccer players. After Metro then what? After metro kids in the Fraser Valley have nothing. You go from playing top quality organized soccer in Vancouver, to in my opinion a not so quality FVSL men’s league. I believe the massive gap between the FVSL & the VMSL is due to good soccer players leaving there district after metro in search of the same high calibre soccer offered at metro which FVSL unfortunately does not provide them with because past players have left (a vicious vicious cycle)

Let’s put it this way, I have a kid on my team who’s 14 & is the captain of the U17 National team. If he wasn’t a sure thing to turn professional at some level I doubt GEU is in his future!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: playing up a level or two

Originally posted by: Jock
Let’s put it this way, I have a kid on my team who’s 14 & is the captain of the U17 National team. If he wasn’t a sure thing to turn professional at some level I doubt GEU is in his future!
Instead of TTPing players and it's league for not being up to "your standard", maybe look at yourself in the mirror...It is situations like this that is the root of the problem in our sport locally, nationally and internationally... There needs to be programs in place so quality young players that aspire to play at the highest level possible don't get stuck into the trend of "playing with their friends"... This talented kid is Captain of our U-17 National squad yet plays his club football at the U-15 level!!! Unless the kid has been approached and does not want to play up then this is disgraceful... Shame on any coach (at the metro level) that doesn't do "their part" in progressing these kids further up the ranks... I know Jonesy was a fantastic player in his day, but it seems to me many of these coaches with BC certs and National coaching levels were underachieving players in their time... Developement outside of our kids coaches personal agenda's and the "political bubble" is the major problem hampering our game in this country!

Good luck to all the coaches out there. Your dedication is admired, however I hope it is for the right reasons... Coaches are like Cops, some are in it for all of the wrong reasons... That said, the majority are underappreciated...

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guiness,

The only reason I know of him is because he goes to the school that I teach at and he's "schooled me" 1/2 a dozen times during intermurals soccer. He's one to watch for in the future, that's for sure.

I agree with your argument. Push the boy on if he's that good. Our club at MF has always had that motto, hence the many players playing at the Premier and Whitecap level. I think the premier side had a 16, 17 and 18 year old play this year alone.

I don't know the history at other clubs/districts but it could be that the older teams might not have the coaching or the right protection for the player to go up to the older age group and thrive. It could be that the player is training a ton at the NCT with the older boys and that this is "his" recreation and fun. He also has less risk of being injured. The boy mentioned isn't very big.

Like I said before, this might not be the case in this instant. You also have to agree, if he's playing at the national U17 level, the boy is developing fine where he is. Maybe it is a good thing he is where he is.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Jonesy

if he's playing at the national U17 level, the boy is developing fine where he is. Maybe it is a good thing he is where he is.
I disagree... He is obviously doing fine for now, but how many young lads at that age have dominated in years past only to faulter at making it pro over seas??? The Whitecaps best local talent have not been able to break into the EPL or even stay with the lower Divisions with the exception of Craig Forest, Nick Dasovic and more recently Jim Brenan... Sulentic is finally sticking in Germany (even if it's only his first season), Clakey didn't last in Ireland, Franks didn't stick at either PSV or Hibs, Niall bounced around 1st & 2nd Div. clubs, Kindel and Kusch played a season or 2 in Belgium...
My point is players who dominate at home rarely even stand out abroad... We need to push these kids earlier (if that's what they really want) and further push our so-called politically positioned personel to utilize their contacts and get our kids over seas at a much younger age... At very least, hopefully we have them training with older boys at the NTC...

BTW, good luck to Keegan Ayre... Has anyone heard how he's doing???

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps best local talent have not been able to break into the EPL or even stay with the lower Divisions with the exception of Craig Forest, Nick Dasovic and more recently Jim Brenan
Those are excellent examples JC! Whitecaps through and through! Where or how do you come up with this stuff?

:D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs:

Is that a spellcheck option that can come on when you type anything to do with BC Soccer? Never noticed that one before.....

:D

Trece

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was trying to have an intelligent and well thought post you ungrateful old bastards!!! Fcuk it... Fcuk you all... I hate posting issues that matter... When I have something important to say (IMO) Regs comes on and slags my typo's... When I TTP, the same ungrateful bastard tells me to stay on topic!!! Which would you rather see??? Canne win!!!

Yoyo'sforever.

BTW, the smilie option hasn't worked in a couple of weeks??? Conspiracy???

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wasn't on about typos, I was trying to point out that none of the 3 you said were 'exceptions' were Whitecaps (well nick was/is but that was after the fact).

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: playing up a level or two

djones said:
Are you talking about Gant? Great little player!
Yes!

Guinness said:
Instead of TTPing players and its league for not being up to "your standard", maybe look at yourself in the mirror......

You have taken what I said out of context. All I am saying is after U18 Metro players at my club don't have much to look forward to. In my opinion the VMSL in closer to youth metro soccer, most kids from Alouette & GEU live in Maple Ridge Pitt Meadows & more often than not end up playing within the GEU mens program of the FVSL. I'm not knocking players or the leagues they play in; I’m simply stating my opinion!

As for Braden Gant, the boy is only 14 years old & the fact that he's playing with the U17 national side tells me he’s doing a
little better than "fine"...

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Braden is still playing with Alouette by the time he’s U18 Metro there’s something wrong. Sorry he isn’t the best example of a player graduating from Metro to men’s Premier!

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
djones said:
Guiness,

I don't know the history at other clubs/districts but it could be that the older teams might not have the coaching or the right protection for the player to go up to the older age group and thrive. It could be that the player is training a ton at the NCT with the older boys and that this is "his" recreation and fun. He also has less risk of being injured. The boy mentioned isn't very big.

Like I said before, this might not be the case in this instant. You also have to agree, if he's playing at the national U17 level, the boy is developing fine where he is. Maybe it is a good thing he is where he is.

Jonesy is right, if he's 14 years old and on the national U17 team then he's doing great. He doesn't need to play U17 or adult socccer now.

According to BC's top sports planner, with a PHD in Sports Planning, Dr. Istvan Balyi, from the age of 11-15, soccer players who want to become elite players have to master all the skills, which requires 4 practices per week. That is the most important thing, not which age group they play in. In some respects playing at ones own age group can compliment this approach because aspiring elite athletes should be using the acquired skills in games. From age 15 on, they should work on physical development, strength and speed and team play.

On another note, did a CSA coach really appoint a 14 year old boy as captain of a national U17 team. How can a 14 year old lead 16 years olds? Can you imagine testosteroen laden 16 year olds taking direction from a 14 year old. Not likely. Its not fair to a 14 year old to make him captain of a team with 16 year olds on it.

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
PV said:
Jonesy is right, if he's 14 years old and on the national U17 team then he's doing great. He doesn't need to play U17 or adult socccer now.

According to BC's top sports planner, with a PHD in Sports Planning, Dr. Istvan Balyi, from the age of 11-15, soccer players who want to become elite players have to master all the skills, which requires 4 practices per week. That is the most important thing, not which age group they play in. In some respects playing at ones own age group can compliment this approach because aspiring elite athletes should be using the acquired skills in games. From age 15 on, they should work on physical development, strength and speed and team play.

I agree with both PV & Dr. Balyi...

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by:PV
According to BC's top sports planner, with a PHD in Sports Planning, Dr. Istvan Balyi,
"Top sports planner"... That's one of the funniest titles to ever come out of BC... Do you need a white board, padded room and a relaxation tape to complete this??? Honestly lads, he may be an intelligent fella, but what he knows about developing elite professional footballers in this Province and Country is very close to zero... The CSA doesn't pay money to this guy for his advise surely??? That would be shoc-king!!!
As far as the weeman captaining his older peers, I must agree... Just because he is talented and has a bright future in the game doesn't mean he should be subjected to any added pressures... After all, he isn't used to playing with older kids for the majority of the time... I'm sure the older kids don't like the idea of him being the little general so to speak???

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness said:
"Top sports planner"... That's one of the funniest titles to ever come out of BC... Do you need a white board, padded room and a relaxation tape to complete this??? Honestly lads, he may be an intelligent fella, but what he knows about developing elite professional footballers in this Province and Country is very close to zero... The CSA doesn't pay money to this guy for his advise surely??? That would be shoc-king!!! Quote

Actually Balyi is paid by Sport BC to advise them and all the sports organizations in BC.
He didn't know anything about soccer in BC before moving here from Europe, where he got his PHD in sports planning. Last time I checked European countries do know something about soccer. Balyi has done extensive resarch on the subject and sems to have read all the published resarch articles on the subject, including articles which have been subject to peer review and debate. During a conference I recall that he said he had been paid by some national Irish sports organizations for advice. That doesn't mean that just because the Irish have hired him that he must be good.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BC youth soccer will always be OK, but is mediocracy something to strive for now??? Must be a Celtic thing???
Originally posted by:PV
During a family dinner I recall that he said he had been paid by some national Irish sports organizations for advice.
Must be your Da!!! I guess that why you are defending him soo strongly???

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I read this little snippet on another website while researching the latest development in youth soccer in the US (gawd, are they so much more progressive and organized than we are!). Apparently, the US Soccer Federation has started a new 64 academy team league involving some of the biggest youth club teams (and MLS youth teams) from around the US. They have divided them up, geographically, into conferences and Washington State has two teams: Crossfire Premier and Washington Premier who will travel around the west coast playing teams like LA Galaxy, Colorado Rapids, FC Portland etc... I happened across this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GersMan
And then there's that Toronto team which doesn't count for us, but will probably have a very good youth setup sooner rather than later.

Side note, but the best player I saw this year, easily the best on a very strong club team that had a national pool player, isn't doing ODP and isn't apparently on anybody's radar. I said, "What the heck?" Then somebody told me he lives in Canada, commutes to his Detroit club team.

Dang Canucks.

A Canadian, living in Canada, going across the line to play for a US youth team. Could this become the norm with all the beaurocracy BC Soccer has put into place?

Now, I have been approached about having some of my players picked up for a team competing in the Washington State Cup (believe it or not, it's totally fine with the WSYSA). Due to the fact that we would lose them for our provincial cup run made the issue moot (in fact, they went on to win the state cup without our boys). With this league set up and talk about having it like junior hockey where boys who make these teams who would have to travel in living in 'digs', could this become the norm for top Canadian youth players?

We just played Washington Premier in a very recent tourney. Without making a ton of excuses (we're in preseason/they're finishing tournament season... they have no boundreys or districts on players /we have a small district... they are 1/2 a year older... blah blah blah) they clobbered us and really looked the part. In fact, we didn't play half bad - they were just that good. At one time, a few years ago, we could compete with this team but now...

These are youth club teams and not state run teams or ODP (Olympic Developmental Program) teams. Why can't BC Soccer allow our youth club teams ,if they want to, to follow suit so we can compete in the same environment?

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We just played Washington Premier in a very recent tourney. Without making a ton of excuses (we're in preseason/they're finishing tournament season... they have no boundreys or districts on players /we have a small district... they are 1/2 a year older... blah blah blah) they clobbered us and really looked the part. In fact, we didn't play half bad - they were just that good. At one time, a few years ago, we could compete with this team but now...
This reminds me when I was playing youth around 7 years ago, our team had reached the final in a local pre season tournament and were facing Tynecastle from Washington state. There players didn't look like your typical athlete, they were small and geeky and were supposed to be a mediocre team in their league so we thought we had the win in the bag. They ended up embarrasing us 4-0 in a no contest match and their parents were all chanting "USA USA" after the game.

Our BC summer games team made up of 4 metro teams combine went to a tournament in Bellingham to play against clubs from Washington the same age and we were barely competing. Don't even get me started on my basketball experiences playing against American teams.

Seems like things haven't changed nowadays, the American attitude about sports is way more serious and competitve than ours, plus they have more funds, unless were talking about hockey of course.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0