Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Messi the best ever?

Is Messi the best ever?

• Total voters

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best. Look at the physiques he plays against. And destroys teams, making it look easy too.
Maradona and Pele are great, but I feel Messi is the one. Call him Neo.

Agree 100%. Maradona and Pele played against scrubs for the most part. The way athletes are all so fine tuned today it's almost inpossible to own a sport. Would Gretzky be putting up 92 goal seasons in today's NHL? No, because the players today are so much better than back then. What Messi is doing against today's top competition is ridiculous. And he's only 24?

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If he doesn't win Ballon D'or again next year, its a farce. Only player that should compete with him is Van Persie. Ronaldo has a ton of goals this year too, but RVP and Messi for top 2 next year, no one else is having seasons like this. 1 man dynasty.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Messi is the best. End of. This is a stupid Poll.

The only thing he hasn't done is win Internationally, at least a big tourney, and for the most part the Argentina MNT is appalling at the moment, or have players that are seriously retarded- Like Tevez.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd like someone to make a salient argument as to how they would think he's not the best, although that #9 was a beast for NC Blues, he'd kick Messi almost as hard as Dude.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Exactly.

Until he gets the Jules Rimet trophy in his hands or dominates at the WC it makes for debate.

He is fcuking amazing though and will be talked about for generations like Pele or Dude.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tim - sorry, but I can't even read your post as I get stuck on that narrow little waist and luscious ass that is begging to be mounted. What did you say?

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
If he doesn't win Ballon D'or again next year, its a farce. Only player that should compete with him is Van Persie. Ronaldo has a ton of goals this year too, but RVP and Messi for top 2 next year, no one else is having seasons like this. 1 man dynasty.

I never got to see Pele or Maradonna play so i can't say for sure who's the best. But even as an Arsenal fan i know you can't compare Van Persie to Messi realistically. I used to say Ronaldo was better but i now change my mind as Messi just keeps getting better and better. And he has scored a World Cup goal, just a single one but none the less he has.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be the best you have to dominate on the biggest stage (Marino was a great QB but no Super Bowls, Montana has 4)
Pele won 3 World Cups....12 goals scored in them
Messi 1 goal in 2 WC played in

Pele 92 games for Brazil.....77 goals
Messi 67 games for Arg.....22 goals

Messi is a great player and he might be regarded as one of the greatest in due time, but not yet
oldtimerstickingupfortheoldguys

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
He plays a central midfield role for Argentina at the top of a diamond with Rodriguez, Mascherano, Gago and Gutierrez, with Higuain/Teves/Milito and Aguero in front of him. He's 24 FFS.

He Doesn't exactly have the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Sneijder, etc feeding him at Argentina either. He also plays provider there, not so much as a finisher as he is for Barca... it's a totally different setup.

Pele is 71, Best would have been 65, Cruyff, 64, Beckenbauer 66 Maradona is 51, Romario is 46, Zidane is 39, Ronaldo is 35, These men are the ones named when this discussion comes around, and for based on what I know and have seen it's probably down to Pele, Best and Maradona based on individual skill, honours, and achievements as well as career length etc.

Of these men 2, maybe 3, played in modern football with training, highly specialized coaching etc... Played against proper defenses, played in a globalized game when you have the best of the world playing in the best leagues. Pele never played club football in Europe. He never played in the Champions League. Best was Northern Irish and never won squat as an international. Maradona only won the 86 world cup by cheating, an act of brilliance, but cheating nevertheless.

To Call Messi not as good as some of these at the age of 24, with what he has already won is foolishness imho.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RIP
George best has to be the greatest ever !the game like jonnyblowsgoats says has changed ,imagine trying to score a goal playing on muck filled pitch & using a size 5 ball harder than boreds slicked back hair!Imo The only thing GB hasn't laid is his hardwood floors!he partied ,played & scored big goals for united & for n IReland !he filled stadiums like they we're going outta style and he had a look for the lassies
Messi would of learned a thing or two about the game if he played with best...a true student of the game

Sid

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
He plays a central midfield role for Argentina at the top of a diamond with Rodriguez, Mascherano, Gago and Gutierrez, with Higuain/Teves/Milito and Aguero in front of him. He's 24 FFS.

He Doesn't exactly have the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Sneijder, etc feeding him at Argentina either. He also plays provider there, not so much as a finisher as he is for Barca... it's a totally different setup.

Pele is 71, Best would have been 65, Cruyff, 64, Beckenbauer 66 Maradona is 51, Romario is 46, Zidane is 39, Ronaldo is 35, These men are the ones named when this discussion comes around, and for based on what I know and have seen it's probably down to Pele, Best and Maradona based on individual skill, honours, and achievements as well as career length etc.

Of these men 2, maybe 3, played in modern football with training, highly specialized coaching etc... Played against proper defenses, played in a globalized game when you have the best of the world playing in the best leagues. Pele never played club football in Europe. He never played in the Champions League. Best was Northern Irish and never won squat as an international. Maradona only won the 86 world cup by cheating, an act of brilliance, but cheating nevertheless.

To Call Messi not as good as some of these at the age of 24, with what he has already won is foolishness imho.

I have to say JBN, I normally like reading your posts but was blown away when I read this absolute mind-boggling rubbish.....with all due respect :)
He scored a goal that shouldn't have been allowed......some might argue the same when England won back in 1966 but let's not open up that shite.
Maradona, at 25 years old, put an entire country on his back and dragged them to that final and won it.....and with, I believe lesser players than they have today. Maradona did it at club level in Spain and did it in Italy with a team that had for the most part, plumbers.

I think wee Messi is nothing short (pun intended) of a genius. He's an absolute pleasure to watch. I also had the pleasure of watching Maradona in Scotland at 17 go through a technically sound (lmfao) Scotland team. They are different players....the game has changed, yada, yada, yada.
Pele was doing things in the fifties that Ronaldinho was doing at Barcelona. Best was a master class.

If Messi goes on and wins a world cup, I think there is a very strong argument for it. For me, Maradona and Pele were gods........with the edge going to Maradona.
Why can't people ever remember the goal of the century after that hand of god goal.....or the fact that Argentina looked like they could have scored at will and totally dominated England. It was Maradona's world cup and for all the right reasons in my book.

I can only thank my lucky stars that I have been fortunate enough to have watched both these legends in my time and for what it's worth, I truly hope the wee man lifts the WC in 2014 because not only does he deserve it because of his talent....he deserves it for remaining the same humble lad that has had the footballing world at his feet for some time and for some time to come.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not arguing the fact cause like i said earlier i never got to see Pele or Maradona play, but put this into perspective, had Messi of decided to play for Spain instead of Argentina then he would have won a world cup by now. He also would of fitted into the Spanish national team a lot better than he does at Argentina mainly cause there's a lot of Barca players on the team, and the Argentinians put a lot more pressure on Messi than what the Spanish would have. So would he have been the best ever then? I don't think saying someone hasn't won a world cup is a good enough argument, it is after all a team sport.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0