Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nations Cup 06' - Results & Banter

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, the 50/50 prize money was claimed ... about $300.00 ... He must have been a popular lad when he got back in the beer garden.

Speaking on behalf of the organizers, I'd like to thank everyone who attended and/or participated this year's tournament. Leading up to this year's tournament, there were many uncertainties, including the venue change, implimenting Friday night games, lack of an outdoor beer garden, and the fact that the fine folks at the Whitecaps thought it would be a great idea to steal our name and hold their event on the same weekend.

But in light of all of that, the people who make this tounament what its is (the players and supporters) stepped up and showed their support. For that, the organizers thank the local soccer community for the ongoing support.

Congrats to all the winning teams and individual players award winners.

We look forward to getting back to our old stomping grounds at Hugh Boyd for next year's event as we work toward the 2007 Nations Cup.

Cheers.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have 3 beer tickets left. I assume I'll be fine to use them next year. There seemed to be about six or seven beer gardens going on at once. :D ;)

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ladies' Nations Cup 06'

Well, I've had 27 hours to digest what happened for the second year running. What an unbelievable finish to a rather average (uneventful) game. The game was not pretty, nothing close to reflecting the quality skill from the experienced players on both the England and Ireland teams. I'm happy that we came out on top but I think the entire Women's division should be congratulated for proving we are an exciting addition to a great tournament.

I'll leave my comments about the overall organization of the tournament in a private email to the committee...BUT...I must comment on some of the kinks that still need to be worked out. It was fantastic to be in the setting with the Open Men and Over 35s division, but truly disappointed in having to compete with the two finals going on at the same time. I've been a spectator for over 20 years in this tourney and I didn't get to enjoy the men's final this year (yet alone their medal presentations). Is it too much to ask to stager the finals or at least play one after the other???

I was called two days prior to the tourney to do some Assistant Refereeing. (I'm not sure if these guys were aware that I was playing an important role in 'defending the title' which I needed to focus on). That being said, I really wish I said 'yes'. I love the fact that we had three officials on the pitch, but most were not confident. Kudos to the young ladies who helped out, and I really hope that the experience has helped them gain the confidence needed to be efficient, fare, and decisive referees one day. The centre circle needed a bit of help...at times, but I commend the guys for keeping their heads in the game and not focusing on the bozos in the crowd.

This tournament has been great exposure for the local female players and I will continue to be a part of the Nations Cup for a long time. I hope to get back on the field and actually play more than five minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to dedicate a goal or two to that 10 year old girl from Surrey I met while watching our game ;)

~Nations Cup Women's Division Liason~
~SC
P.S. I've had a few offers from the Men's side of things, and I'd be willing to take a team on for next year...I expect payments in beer:eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bozos in the crowd? Nice one.

Mens' side approaching you? Nice one.

I would like to thank the supporters who let the ref know how poor of a job he was doing. :) Well done, One Dart and Dartsinthehood. :D

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Ladies' Nations Cup 06'

SC said:
Well, I've had 27 hours to digest what happened for the second year running. What an unbelievable finish to a rather average (uneventful) game.

I thought it was quite exciting, especially when we were getting chance after chance at different times...:) A crossbar, two posts and a red card, that's some drama...

The game was not pretty, nothing close to reflecting the quality skill from the experienced players on both the England and Ireland teams.

Ugly result, but there was some fantastic play.

I'm happy that we came out on top but I think the entire Women's division should be congratulated for proving we are an exciting addition to a great tournament.

We definitely need to avoid the "haves" and "have nots" situation that has plagued women's soccer forever. Is Nutmegs taking out citizenship elsewhere this year? :p

ralphwiggumwhothoughtenglandmightwininpenaltiesandnowknowswhatatrueenglandfanfeelsallthetime :D

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

SC said:
Is it too much to ask to stager the finals or at least play one after the other???

The Dragon Lady returneth...;)

I agree with you dahlings that not being able to watch other finals while playing in another sucks a bit.

But don't forget that the Open Semis are a bigger draw than some of us, well, less spectacular age groups and other gender finals. :D
It's tough to have 6 big games without some overlapping of times.
To be able to play in a final alongside the big boys is something I will definitely take even if I miss watching another due to the great atmosphere there.
It is awesome being part of it. :)
Plus, some spectators have mentioned they like being able to look at two big games going on at once.

My two bits and I'm sure the organizers will look at all constructive comments like they always do though to ensure it stays as the best summer tourney out there.

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another great weekend at the Nations it's got to be the best run and most competitive tourament around.

Well done to all the winners, 5 games in hot weather is hard.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ranger, correct me if I'm wrong but by putting a few matches on Friday night should open up some time slots for a staggered Sunday final:confused:

Coach England,
Perhaps my expectations were too high with the talented players playing in the finals. I just didn't see the skill and consistency that they are capable of otherwise there may have been some goals in regulation time :confused: I hope they bring 'it' in the game against Cheatside tonight:)

Alikira, I was referring to the O-45 Men's division, don't worry your coaching gig is not in jeopardy :p

Thanks to the Nations Cup organizers:)
+SC

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ralph Wiggum said:
Is Nutmegs taking out citizenship elsewhere this year? :p

I believe that if you look at my birth certificate it does say Canadian on it.

BTW, Ralphie, why do I get all the flak when I only played about half a game for England last year and I wasn't even technically signed up for the tourney. I think some of your pokes should be at a certain blonde center midfielder who played for you last year but switched allegiance for the tourney. Ask the Cheatsiders about her, I'm sure they might know who it is. ;)

Congrats to SC and Ireland on the victory - I agree that the game wasn't the best display of women's soccer, but I think the PK's were exciting.

IMO, the best game of the women's side and what could have and probably should have been the final was the 5:45pm Saturday game between Canada and Ireland. It had it all - good hard tackles, lots of goals (4), and even some spilled blood. :eek:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are 5 'finals' in all, correct? You would need a minimum 7 hours I would think to make sure each game was showcased on it's own.

Doable? IMO, no.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The finals could be staggered but it would mean the tournament would have to take a gamble. Play games on Friday night and finish the round robin portion on Saturday. Possibly a risk but most people have been coming to this tournament for years and will continue to do so........

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I must say the 9pm game on friday nite that we played againt portugal was just the perfect setting... A nice summer's nite, wit the sun setting, not 35 degrees, cold bevi's and soccer. The ref was crap, but atleast he didn't take off with the ball and say no soccer for you!!! :D

PS If they can get one game in on friday and 2 on saturday that would be better i believe... There for you don't have to play 3 games on Sunday.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
BJB said:
PS If they can get one game in on friday and 2 on saturday that would be better i believe... There for you don't have to play 3 games on Sunday.
Those were exactly my thoughts when I saw the schedule for the Open Men. No wonder the young legs of India won it.

As for the staggered finals, at almost every summer tourney where there are mens and womens sides the two finals go at the same time. It sucks for the womens game since most will watch the men and I myself would like to see both finals (especially if I'm playing in one). But I just don't see it changing any time soon. :(

Ralph Wiggum

Jun 10, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:
I believe that if you look at my birth certificate it does say Canadian on it.

BTW, Ralphie, why do I get all the flak when I only played about half a game for England last year and I wasn't even technically signed up for the tourney. I think some of your pokes should be at a certain blonde center midfielder who played for you last year but switched allegiance for the tourney. Ask the Cheatsiders about her, I'm sure they might know who it is. ;)

There are several, I just like to pick on you. :D

Can'tHeadABall

Mar 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

nutmegs said:
....I think some of your pokes should be at a certain blonde center midfielder who played for you last year but switched allegiance for the tourney. Ask the Cheatsiders about her, I'm sure they might know who it is. ;)
Nutmegs, FYI but I believe she was originally going to play for us last year before she ended up on England but it's a mute point now. We're just happy to have her.

mutmegs said:
IMO, the best game of the women's side and what could have and probably should have been the final was the 5:45pm Saturday game between Canada and Ireland. It had it all - good hard tackles, lots of goals (4), and even some spilled blood. :eek:
Definately the best game IMO. Nice to see you in action Nutmegs, now I feel honoured to be able watch you live and in action :rolleyes: from the bench.

CHAB

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The comments are appreciated and the more we get the better the tournament will be so keep them coming.

Here are a couple of points on the above issues:

We could not play any more games than we did on Friday night as it is we weren't able to get the teams that finished last a pint in the gardens:(

We could not staggar the womens and mens finals as we only have the field for so long on Sunday. We could have moved the ladies to Richmond High instead of the Men's Over 45s but we thought maybe you would prefer to be at Minoru infront of the crowds:rolleyes:

This was the first year having 3 officials for all games and generally it was received very positively. There are always the odd occasion when you don't get the best 3 but overall it was an improvement.

We are looking forward to going back to Hugh Boyd next year and continuing to provide you all the best Nations Cup Tournament around:D :D

Leanstilltiredanddidn'tevenplayagame

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0