Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

North Shore Coaches Soccer League 2003/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who us? Let them run up the score?

Ah, what a difference a week makes. Was back to reality for the boys in blue as we faced an always dangerous Norvan squad, and they lived up to the billing. Make the final 9-0 for the lads in the nasty Swedish kit. Kudos to all the Lupites, we kept going right to the end, even generated a chance or two. Robby Brown was his usual stellar self, although in somewhat of a testy mood due to the inclement weather. Congrats to Mark Waring, off to finally get married next week, although last time he tried this, Canada2000 collapsed. :D Who are you flying with this time? Just so I can dump my shares.

lupoman

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Freybe 2, Pegs1

Pegs seriously outchanced Freybe (shots were something like 20-4 Pegs), but Pegs were seriously outworked, outdefended, and outgoaltended. Pegs opened at 12 minutes with Tony Pensato scoring after about 5 good saves by the Freybe keeper. A subsequent giveaway by the alternate Peg left back (not concussed Harry who was on the sidelines after having a tree fall on his head Saturday
icon11.gif
) tied it on Freybe's 1st shot of the game and seriously shifted the momentum of the match . The backup Peg keeper, nervous as a bride on her wedding night, had a relatively innocent shot hit him in the hands and squirt between them on Freybe's second shot to give them the lead at the half. Freybe then tenaciously defended their lead 'til the end. It did not help our chances when Jua had to leave at the half or that Jim Easton found a cheap flight to Cabo
icon6.gif
on the internet Sat night to make it an even 6 starters who no showed. Alan Easton had a gutty game, going 90 with a broken rib while his older bro' sipped Margaritas. Full marks to Freybe though, the realy gave their all, probably qualified for the BCs, and ended our 2 year undefeated streak. Hopefully they show as well in the Provincials. Well done.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
WCOTSL/VMSL Amalgamation Initiative

I see that a/m two leagues are going forward with a proposal to merge, subject to consensus approval by WCOTSL in June/04.

Watching with interest...

GO COVESIDE! EASY ON THE SAT NITE PINTS!!

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
C-Side ........... since we had a little bit of a brain fart last week, and it might impact our league title, I am willing to propose an offer to the Coveside lads. Remember, this is not for just you, but your team. If you do take points off Norvan this weekend (win for Coveside or a tie), I am willing to donate a flat (24 pack) of beer for your achievements. More than likely we will be by your match after ours, so I will be able to pay on the spot if the result is a positive one.

What better incentive is there for a team than beer?????

Jags

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JAGS said:
C-Side ........... since we had a little bit of a brain fart last week, and it might impact our league title, I am willing to propose an offer to the Coveside lads. Remember, this is not for just you, but your team. If you do take points off Norvan this weekend (win for Coveside or a tie), I am willing to donate a flat (24 pack) of beer for your achievements. More than likely we will be by your match after ours, so I will be able to pay on the spot if the result is a positive one.

What better incentive is there for a team than beer?????

Jags

Thanks for the offer, but things are so bad in our camp right now, that I had to play 90 mins last week. So it's not pretty. We usually play them well, but who know's. Coveside will give it there best. Just in case, we all drink Guinness, 24x $14.00 each, are you sure!!! :rolleyes:

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
90 Minutes????????? I'm sure the body was a little bit hurtin the next day.

You may drink Guinness, but we are on a tight budget and donate either Lucky lager or Molson Canadian. I trust you would prefer the latter.

Jags

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
JAGS said:
90 Minutes????????? I'm sure the body was a little bit hurtin the next day.

You may drink Guinness, but we are on a tight budget and donate either Lucky lager or Molson Canadian. I trust you would prefer the latter.

Jags
Cside,

Jags may be a Rangers fan, but he is still a Scot remember...just be wary of the fatty to DV 60 yard punt breakout to catch your backline 1 on 1. Play 'em like you did us in the summer final and you'll be fine...and tell your bro's to bring their 6 studs...

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank Christ..........

The season from hell is over. Another waxing today at the hands of Malones....at least the boys never quit, managed to get a nice goal off a corner early in the second, but it was way to little, way to late. We were missing way too many starters to make a decent game of it, and it took about 30 minutes for the lads to even wake up.By that time it was already 5-0.....game over. So anyone who was counting on us to beat Malones...sorry...not today. The summer ,however, is just around the corner, hope always springs eternal. Congratulations to Norvan on taking the league title, and good luck to all teams going to the provincials.

lupoman

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We've Only Just Begun ................

Lupoman ........... sorry to hear about the result yesterday. Sounds like Malones started strong and put a few away early. I sensed it was over early when a few of the fans watching your game strolled over to our pitch to see what was going on. We did not have the same luck early on, but put a few away before the half to get things rolling in the right direction. Did the 9 goals that slipped between the Lupo pipes have anything to do with goaltending :p ;) :D ???? I thought that you lads would be able to build on the victory vs. Rams a few weeks back.

You say the season is over? What about the League Cup and the upcoming weekend tourney? We are just gearing up for what we hope will be a good league cup run (if you can call two games a run) and then that weekend tourney and right into the BC's. Still a little bit of footy to be played before we get a couple days off and then summer starts.

Our match ended 6-0 yesterday vs. Seymour and it could/should have been a few more. We started slow, since this was the first time we played on grass since the mid 1970's when our suspension was handed down. Well, it seems like it was around then when this ruling came down ..... right around the time the original Starsky & Hutch was on. We created a few chances early on and should have had a couple. Yours truly and Denis Acili had a few shots from outside the 18 yard box, that went wide. Denis and I chatted after the game and it was clear that the goal posts had been moved since the last time we played or practiced at Inter River #6 ........or it had something to do with the park being built on a landfill site and it clearly has caused the posts to tilt and shift away from where we were shooting. Alan Easton opened the scoring around the 25 minute mark with a Ronaldo like finish on a volley from 25 yards out. He added to his account shortly after with a quality finish (to be honest, I have no idea what type of goal it was, but all of Alan's are quality, so this one had to be as well - I think I was busy putting ice on the beer). Our third goal came from our Czech International defender, Rude Von Rudy with a goal off his flowing Pavel Nedved like locks. He skyed above their 5'2" Asian International right back and headed it home. 3-0 at the half for the Mighty Flying Horses (that is a Pegasus for those who failed greek mythology). We came out in the 2nd and Penz scored early to make it 4-0. Penz celebrated this goal by running to his vehicle, starting it and driving away. Still confused about that. Alan bagged his hattrick on a nice little flick by Mike Fin over the defenders and into the box, where Alan finished nicely (did I mention all his goals are usually quality) and the points were sewn up. Final goal by D. Peastool on a nice finute from just inside the box. We had numerous other chances, but lacked the focus and the intensity that hopefully we will have in the weeks to come. Strangely enough, we did not give up our usual goal against in the final 5 minutes to rob our three keepers on the day of a clean sheet. Overall, not a bad day of soccer and good to get a run on grass ............ even though, it only took me 89 minutes to figure out I was wearing the wrong boots for the field. I should have taken Sir M's advice (given to me in the 89th minute, when I asked) that 6 studs were the call of the day. However, Sir M chose to start with a set of 6 studs and since he last wore them in the 1970's on our last game on grass, they quickly became a set of 4 studs.

Cooler travelled up to Carson for the second half of the Norvan v. Coveside game. 0 - 0 at the half and I already had the 24 Canadians on ice for C'Side. However, Norvan slotted three in the second half, two by the Gus Pilarinos look-a-like and one by Danny Vaughn and Norvan sealed the league. You always know when Norvan feels they have their game in hand when they bring on the Kevin Keegan stunt double in the 80th minute.

Congrats to Norvan on winning the league. Not that I'm bitter (which I am), but we did win both games vs. Norvan this year, but the 3 ties in our first 4 games killed us ......... oh yeah, there was also that 2-2 tie against Blewridge a few months back that fcuked our season royally. Only us to blame and we will redeem ourselves with a run in the BC's.

Really looking forward to the next 6-7 weeks of soccer. Here is hoping for a good showing by all the North Van teams in the BC's. Let's hope that we don't draw each other.

Any idea when the draw is to be held if the first game is April 17/18?????

Jags

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: We've Only Just Begun ................

Really looking forward to the next 6-7 weeks of soccer. Here is hoping for a good showing by all the North Van teams in the BC's. Let's hope that we don't draw each other.

Any idea when the draw is to be held if the first game is April 17/18?????

Jags[/QUOTE]
Or maybe we should want to draw them, we were 4-0-0 against the other two NS sides in the BCs, outscoring them I think it was 14-4 in the process...

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sir M .............. you're right that we might be better to play some of our North Shore counterparts. We have had good results against both Malones and Norvan and know what they have in their arsenal. We also seem to prepare ourselves differently against these two sides and lift our game to the level of our opponent.

Truly is a shame that Norvan will be missing both their leading scorers in the BC's due to them being under 35. I guess they will have to rely on Pole or Big Head for goals.

Jags

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
JAGS said:
Sir M .............. you're right that we might be better to play some of our North Shore counterparts. We have had good results against both Malones and Norvan and know what they have in their arsenal. We also seem to prepare ourselves differently against these two sides and lift our game to the level of our opponent.

Truly is a shame that Norvan will be missing both their leading scorers in the BC's due to them being under 35. I guess they will have to rely on Pole or Big Head for goals.

Jags,

What about Pilrainous (or is that Big Head), or the dangerous twin k? PS I dont think we really lift our game, its more like the opposite...and we will sorely miss Chico, not many players can balance a pint on their head while dancing a jig without spilling a drop, not to mention his wise strategic advice..."If you don't give up a goal, you are going to win or tie more often than lose"...

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
was it only nine?

Seemed like around 20. Every time I looked up there was a Malones player with the ball and no-one in between! Not saying our defence played poorly or anything ......and I would say it probably would have been 6-0 if Jason was in net. What can you do, unfortunately they showed up with more than 9 players and didn't seem keen on an OG to start the match. :rolleyes: Didn't mean the whole season was over, the fun stuff starts now, as you said with cup play and the L/G Tourney. We will be looking to defend our "b" pool championship, would be a real morale boost heading into the summer.Good luck to all, let's see if we can get that provincial cup back to the North Shore! :wa:

lupoman

biggs

Oct 9, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jags,

PS I dont think we really lift our game, its more like the opposite...

Sir M

Confidence is one thing, arrogance another. Looking forward to Sunday.

Me thinks it would be to the benefit of our league if all NSCL teams have a solid showing this year as last year our league was given the royal trash talking. Thankfully you guys made the semis and heres hoping you improve on that this year but not on the backs of Norvan or us.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
biggs said:
Jags,

PS I dont think we really lift our game, its more like the opposite...

Sir M

Confidence is one thing, arrogance another. Looking forward to Sunday.

Me thinks it would be to the benefit of our league if all NSCL teams have a solid showing this year as last year our league was given the royal trash talking. Thankfully you guys made the semis and heres hoping you improve on that this year but not on the backs of Norvan or us.
Biggs,

What I was telling Jags was the truth: we tend to play better against better teams, and seem to not play to our potential when we play against sides lower down the table...we lost all of our points this year to sides 4th place or worse and this cost us the title, and that is our fault.

I hope all of the NS teams do well in the BCs as well.

biggs

Oct 9, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Sunday Peg vs Malones

Not a bad game on the weekend, besides the final score. Glenn got a out of sorts giving away a penalty that was not worth giving - he had a chance in the final seconds to make amends but failed on his 1st touch and the fat lady was singing. Bobby B. was a little pissed at the world and let all on and off the field know about it. The way he was going at the start, it looked as though all on the sidelines were on their way to Mahon if they wanted to watch a game.

Looking forward to the Norvan vs Peg final. Here's hoping for a close game and not the blowout Peg handed Norvan last time around.

B.B. needs to work on his fitness.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peg 2 - Malones 1

Not a great game yesterday, except for the result. We fielded a fairly strong lineup, with the exception of Jua being absent and Penz needing 3 hours to stretch and get warm. I think Jua was off on a golf/snowboarding/wine tasting holiday. Being a Firefighter, that usally takes place every two weeks.

We had not a bad start and then there was the second minute of the game. It was not that early, but we did have an early defensive lapse in judgement and had a cough up on the back line. This generous offering fell to the feet of Malone's Roberto Carlos, Purdy (they are about the same height and that is about it). Purdy not knowing what to do with the ball inside our 25 yard line panicked and tried to kick the ball out of bounds, but it fell to Malone's version of Ronaldo, Mama Cass (they have the same haircut and that is about it) and he slid it into the corner of the net ............ 1-bagel for the bad guys. Our backs were to the wall, we were starring adversity straight in the eye, it was an uphill climb and all that other shiite that the Canucks are now hearing on a daily basis. We came on after this goal and notched a nice goal off a free kick just before the half. Jimmie E. to brother Alan at the near post who flicked it on to Haggis and he made no mistake from 6 yards out. As Biggs mentioned, first half highlight was B. B. warning the whole Peg sideline that 'one more peep from you lot and I'll toss the whole lot of ya'. Being one of the team beerman, I was trying to take a positive from this warning and thought of the chance for 11 guys to get red cards for yapping. Yappy reds = flat of beer. 11 x 24 = lots of free beer for the cooler. Anyway, no cards were shown. Second half we carried the majority of the play, but could not notch the go ahead goal. Malone's had a couple chances as well, but they too could not finish. We scored the winner on a PK by Jimmie E. with about 15 to play. Penz was pulling down in the box by Glenn 'Sybil' Audette and our ticket to the final was all but secured. A couple late chances by Malones, but we secured the fort and earned a ticket to the final vs. Norvan. Looking forward to that match in two weeks as I'm sure Norvan will be up after our 6-0 spanking of them a couple weeks back.

Unfortunately, we had a few injuries out of yesterdays match. Fin with a pulled thigh muscle and Alan E. with a knee sprain. Hopefully both will be available for selection in two weeks. MOTM for all the running and havoc he generated on the Malones backline was Penz. He didn't have his usual finish, but still made thing difficult and created the winning PK.

Jags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0