Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2003/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
It is not a matter of him trying to give Scotland a better chance in the long term by playing the likes of Burke, Hutton, etc....If he had more money, he would be doing exactly what you're saying he isn't doing.

Shammy,

Playing the likes of Scottish talent in the Scottish Premier League WILL change the face and quality of the National side.
The clear facts started with Souness back in 1986 with the "Anglo Invasion" at Ibrox...The majority of young football fans look up to thier idols and their decision making, and the majority of kids in Scotland either support Celtic or Rangers - fact. Therefore when OF players pull out of the Scotland squad for reasons best known to themselves, it doesnt take much to sway an OF firm supporter to discredit and not support the Scotland set-up. These 2 clubs have destroyed the possibility of a solid Scotland side. Signing second rate foreigners year after year has spoiled the young talented Scottish footballer. So my point with McLeish is, he is only playing with the cards he is dealt with..thats all he can dae! Its good in my eyes that he is turning to Scottish talent, whether it be good or bad, its still Scottish, and that is what is important to me.

Rant over,

Oor Wullie

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oor Wullie,

I think you missed my point. MON has played the same, if not MORE Scottish players this year than Feck. That is why I don't see anyone 'following McLeish's lead' as being a valid point. Anyway, it would be good for the national team in the long run BUT the bottom line is who pays the players wages? It should be an honour to play for one's country BUT club football is where the money is. The better a club does, the more money it makes(normally). So once again the business end of the sport takes precedence(sp?). So we can all agree on several things. Celtic is FAR better than Rangers right now. Right? Scotland's national team is mince right now. Right? MON is a FAR better manager than Feck. Right?

Stand up for the champions.......

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sutton named top player

Sutton displays his award on Sunday evening
Celtic's Chris Sutton has been named Players' Player of the Year by his fellow professionals in the SPL.
His team-mate Stephen Pearson took the accolade for the Young Player of the Year at an awards ceremony in Glasgow on Sunday night.

Sutton's contribution to Celtic's championship win and Uefa Cup run has been immense.

He played in several positions throughout the season, scoring 27 goals in all competitions so far.

In the First Division, Clyde striker Ian Harty won the award after his 14 league goals took the club to the brink of promotion to the SPL.

Paul Tosh of Forfar won in the Second Division, having bagged 24 goals over the course of the season.

And in the Third Division, Stranraer's Michael Moore's 25 goals, which have taken his side to the top of the league, was honoured.

Sorry oor william, Sutton's English.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done to the Bigyun. Thoroughly deserved.

I see Henry won the EPL player of the year surprisingly. :rolleyes:

I was just watching an interview with the scout who discovered Henry when he was thirteen..

"When I first saw Henry, he didn't do anything special.....except score all the goals in his team's 6 - 0." Priceless. :)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bucky,

I thought he was a bosman but he is still looking at being paid in the vicinity of 30 000 quid a week. That seems to be a lot of money for a young player and low bank roll? Either way, I think it will be a good signing for Rangers, but I don't see him having enough help in the backline with the likes of Moore, Malcolm, and Berg.

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

Rangers' backline was the arguably the worst ever. I would have selected Fastshow (circa Peg days?) over Moore. At least he would have entertained opponents with his trash talking. Ask Luc?

Boumsong should make a significant contribution with his grit. Too many handbags in the squad. That is the one and only thing I admire about the current Celtic squad. Fcukin' bead rattlin' bastages. I'm sure RF can add to the list of things he admires about Celtic..........

Buckfast

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Buckfast said:
Captain,

I would have selected Fastshow (circa Peg days?) over Moore. At least he would have entertained opponents with his trash talking. Ask Luc?

Buckfast
That's unfair, I wasn't that bad for Peg in my second spell with them. Greg, Mandy, Roger Moore would have made better fullbacks for the 'Gers this season.

And trash talking? You've got the wrong man. Too busy getting my breath back for chat, innit.

Answer your fcuking e-mail, munter.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Buckfast said:
I'm sure RF can add to the list of things he admires about Celtic..........

It's not admiration Bucky, it's respect.

Something you and the Captain fail immensely on. :rolleyes:

See, I can't stand Chris Sutton.
I fcuking absolutely hate the Sassanach (That one was for you Fasty). ;)
But, I respect what he's done for Celtic.
See?

Well done Chris Sutton.

It's about as elementary as getting your taxes into your accountant in a timely manner, well before the fcuking deadline, and not hiding behind an email from your missus to cover up for your uselesstittedness.

:D

How's the wedding plans coming?

Bet that refund could come in handy.

Love & kisses,

RF

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny old Scotsman not getting his taxes in on time.

I rather like the fact the SPL's Player's Player of the year would be about as welcome at Bisham Abbey training with the England squad as Big Ron Atkinson at the Notting Hill Carnival.

When will Sutton be eligible for selection by Berti McVogts?

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe MON is not as Brilliant as we thought.

Celtic open Lennon talks

Neil Lennon has had a rewarding year at Celtic Park
Celtic manager Martin O'Neill has started talks with Neil Lennon designed to keep the Northern Irish midfielder at the club for the rest of his career.
O'Neill believes that the 32-year-old midfielder has had his best campaign since joining from Leicester in 2000.

"I've had a general chat with his agent recently and, over the next few weeks, we'll talk a bit more," he said.

Lennon said: "There have been tentative talks and, over the next few weeks, we'll see how things develop."

The sometimes controversial midfielder had recently remarked that he might be tempted by the prospect of ending his career in Spain's La Liga.

But he is not ruling out remaining at Celtic beyond the end of his current deal, which ends next season.

"I'm nearing the end of my career and I'm determined to make the most of everything that comes my way," he said.

Lennon eyes Spanish move
"I'm part of a good team with fabulous players and this year has delighted me.

"Personally speaking, this has been the best season for me simply because of the way we lost it last year."

O'Neill has already persuaded Alan Thompson and Chris Sutton to sign extended deals and wants Lennon to remain at the heart of his midfield.

"Neil has done tremendously well this season and I'd say that this is the best season he has had in the near-on four years that he has been here," he added.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
steve1234 said:
Maybe MON is not as Brilliant as we thought.
I know the mere suggestion that Martin O'Neil might not be the dog's danglies is tantamount to coming out against motherhood or kittens but he should really get away from Parkhead in the off-season before he finds his already-inflated value nose-diving. Yes, he's guided Celtic to league titles and League Cup wins but those have been against uncommonly weak Rangers sides. The real test of his managerial nous came in Celtic's European adventures of the past two seasons. Both years they've come up wanting and against opposition they really could have beaten. Now, with their only world-class player on the way out, he'll really have a job to do if he wants to even come close to repeating their recent marginal success.

He needs to get to White Hart Lane PDQ, that's the easiest job going in world football at the minute as any improvement would be considered a huge success.......

Neil Lennon to Spain? What part? Ibiza? And Alan Thompson? EPL cast-offs.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey, Mr. England, fcuk off. ;)

You're somewhat correct, Fasty, for a change. He has done a fantastic job with mediocre players. Yes, some of these guys are EPL cast-offs but he certainly has them playing to their potential, unlike their previous coaches. Give the man a wee bit of money and we'll see how he manages in Europe. As for you comment about them beating teams in Europe they should have been beating.......Barcelona, Stuttgart, Liverpool, to name a few over the last couple of years...I disagree. Celtic overachieved against these teams and I'm sure MON had something to do with it. Against Bayern Munich, Celtic outplayed them in Germany but didn't get it done in the end. The debacle against 10 man Anderlecht....the penalty in the last 5 minutes against Lyon.....and so on. They have been very close with an average group of players.

So, STeve1234, I agree with you about Lennon. I think MON is inflating his value a little too much. Yes, he wins tackles but does very little in the offensive end of things....

Hail! Hail! and stand up for the Champions, Mr. Fcuking England :knvb: :) :D

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I disagree fellows,

With the way Celtic play right now and with the lack of movement in the new players being signed Lennon is quite valuable. Captain your are right he does not offer much offensively but to be honest I don't think MON asks him to offer anything. He is there to do what he does best, defend and run the midfield. He is always in the right place which allows players like Petrov, Thompson and Pearson to be more attack minded. With the current core of players we have we need Lennon. You remove him from the lineup you are one step closer to having a midfield like the Fod.( a bunch of panzies afraid to tackle.)

Parkhead

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
"defend and run"

Lets be honest when have you seen him run.

Against Barca , He stood out like a sore thumb in the home game he rarely kept pace with his man. Watch him, and in the SPL he is magik, In Europe he must travel without his wand, Cause he is shocking.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Parkhead,

I wouldn't say that he runs the midfield BUT he certainly knows when needs to win tackles and usually does. He plays 1 forward ball for 50 lateral/back pass, which isn't good enough when we need to attack(in Europe especially). However, we could get 1 more year out of him. He is WAY too slow overall but his anticipation is good. That starts to go with age too. Of course, I wouldn't know that but that's what I've heard. :rolleyes: ;) I have a feeling that Pearson is NOT going to be the player a lot of people were talking about because he looked completely LOST in the last few games I have watched him(even against Kilmarnock). We are in desperate need of a good playmaker in midfield and of course, another striker to complement Sutton because the tub of goo will be in worse shape than he ever has when he comes back from the back surgery. I still love the Hoops though and know that we are still good enough to win the SPL next year against an even worse squad. We do need some new blood though, if we want to have any sort of success in the Champions League group stage, something the Huns will be getting nowhere near. :)

Hail! Hail!

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are in desperate need of a good playmaker in midfield

We have needed that for 4 years now. I agree we need another front runner to play with Sutton but I wouldn't rule out Hartson just yet. We need him simply because he scores goals. How many times did he score big goals for us during last years run? We could have used him this year. He has to comeback in good shape or his career is over. He wants to play for Celtic again and probably evenmore he wants to suit up for Wales. Hopefully he sees this and does what it takes to comeback in form. We need to add a front runner with some pace to compliment Sutton and Hartson.

Parkhead

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The tic's goalman back in for Sweden.

Larsson back for Sweden

Henrik Larsson is set for Euro 2004 in Portugal
Henrik Larsson has agreed to come out of international retirement to play for Sweden at Euro 2004 in Portugal.
The striker, who stressed on Friday that he would still leave Celtic this summer, has bowed to pressure from the Swedish management and supporters.

The 32-year-old quit the international scene after the 2002 World Cup.

"I spoke to (Swedish coach) Lars Lagerback on Thursday and said if you still want me I'd be delighted to play at Euro 2004," he said.

"I don't like to have any regrets in my career and I've been thinking about it for some time, but I only decided yesterday."

But he added: "There is no chance of me changing my mind about Celtic.

"I turned back on my decision of two years ago not to play for Sweden but I am sure I will be leaving Celtic after this season.

"I came to the decision that it was time to move on and I still feel that is the right choice and I am happy with that."

The Swede maintains that Spain is his preferred destination next season, but he has not ruled out retiring from the game altogether.

"There have been a few enquiries, nothing more," he admitted.

Larsson, who has 24 goals and 72 caps to his credit, came out of international retirement for one match to help Sweden win a qualifier against Hungary last April.

Swedish coach Lars Lagerback was delighted by the striker's u-turn.

At least now we're not left with Ibrahimovic as our main man upfront

From Fredrik Larsson
Have your say on 606

"We are pleased with Henrik's "yes" and we must say that we have never closed the door on him," Lagerback said.

"He is very welcome in the squad."

Some of Sweden's leading sports figures, including Uefa president Lennart Johnasson, called for Larsson to play at Euro 2004, but he had rejected the appeals until Friday.

"The break from the national team has done me good and surely made my career longer by one or two years.

"If everything works well in Euro 2004, I'll continue until they throw me out," he added.

Larsson will now spearhead Sweden's attack in Portugal this summer, where they face Italy, Denmark and Bulgaria in Group C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0