Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Results & Banter January 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
the word "socceroos" in a div 1 thread.... WTF? The world is gonna end and i'm gonna puke

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe Bombastic has approached improving and developing their team the right way and evidence proves that they have improved steadily year over year now for many years...and will continue to improve in my opinion. They have built a club system which is the only way to go if you are not part of the 'big' clubs. If you do not do this your team is a house of cards that can fall apart at any time.

The fact the VMSL is squeezing talent down by reducing teams in the upped divisions can ONLY mean that div 2 will be MUCH stronger next year. There is no other way around it...there are only so many spots amongst the Premier and Div 1 clubs so the players that can't cut it up there (or don't want to) will be playing in Div 2. A small % will move away from the VMSL but the majority will be in Div 2 with their relegated team. Half of Div 2 will be gone to Div 3 so you are left with a mix of the top half of Div 2 and the bottom half of Div 1...so I don't think Teelay's comments are too far off here.

Top half of Div 2 to bottom half of Div 1 is not a huge difference in calibre; a difference yes but not too big. I've said for years that we should have 10 teams per division all the way down, even if means having a Div 6 (see VISL ). Then there will be parity. 30 Div 2 teams is a joke but at least the calibre will be significantly higher now.

As for the Socceroos I must admit that I am floored that they have not self destructed as they have every year since I can remember. I don't expect them to be in second by year's end (and they really aren't in second right now as they've played a few more games than the teams below them) but give them credit and don't think they are the same team from year's past. Their management are drunk but they must have added players this year.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
But it's not half of div 2 getting demoted.

f) The bottom 9 teams in Division 1 will be moved to Division 2.

g) The top team in Division 2 (the winner of a round-robin play-off series among the winners of each group) will be moved to Division 1.

h) The next 20 teams in Division 2 will remain in Division 2.

i) The bottom 9 teams in Division 2 will be moved to Division 3.

j) The top team in Division 3 will be moved to Division 2.

So those 9 demoted div 1 teams will be playing against 21 teams of lower calibre next year, and the likelihood is that only 1 or 2 will be promoted year after year. It's really a death sentence for some of those teams, as their better players will not stick around to play in lopsided div 2 matches.

I don't agree with the idea of Div 1 to N with 10 teams/div and neither does VISL as you'll notice they've converted to a pyramid structure too. I'm just saying it needs to be a proper pyramid. It makes no sense having more teams in Div 2 than Div 3. So ideally it should 10 in Prem, 10 in Div1, 20 in Div 2, and 30 in Div 3

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not really disagreeing with you Dezza as I am on board for reducing the number of teams at the top first and foremost...and how they structure in the more rec divisions is something we could debate all day long and I could go either way. I do look forward to the overall quality of div 2 soccer being better next year as it has been pretty poor over the last bunch of years.

The bottom half div 1 teams are not that much better than the div 2 teams any way. Bottom of div 2 for sure but they will be gone. Mid pack div 2 will struggle big time.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who will win out of 6th place div 1 A vs div 1 B in play off to stay up in div1 next season ?
who is the best over all team in div 1 this season ? berg what do you think ?

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmmm this is a good question albeit a tad early because there is still a lot to play for as far as 6th place goes. From what I have seen I give the edge to Cliff versus anybody so long as they actually show up since it appears as though some other team has been donning the orange for quite some time now. With all the ex-University players that are on the roster these guys really should have been competing for promotion but alas all that glitters isn't gold.

As far as overall best team, and again based on what I have seen, I would have to go with Akal. Low scoring you say? Sure, but show me another team that is UNDEFEATED. Akal gets my respect despite their so-called unsexy soccer because at the end of the day nobody gives a f*** how you win ( or tie :D ). Zero losses speaks volumes.

That's my $0.02 thanks for asking SmartCoach!

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmmm this is a good question albeit a tad early because there is still a lot to play for as far as 6th place goes. From what I have seen I give the edge to Cliff versus anybody so long as they actually show up since it appears as though some other team has been donning the orange for quite some time now. With all the ex-University players that are on the roster these guys really should have been competing for promotion but alas all that glitters isn't gold.

As far as overall best team, and again based on what I have seen, I would have to go with Akal. Low scoring you say? Sure, but show me another team that is UNDEFEATED. Akal gets my respect despite their so-called unsexy soccer because at the end of the day nobody gives a f*** how you win ( or tie :D ). Zero losses speaks volumes.

That's my $0.02 thanks for asking SmartCoach!
I agree with you but this sunday we will try to break Akals undefeated RUN

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dezza, agree with you that 30 teams is too many in Div 2, but regardless, when you lose the worst 9 teams out of a division and add 9 teams that are the top calibre in that division, the quality of soccer will increase!

Take us (Point Grey Rangers), for example, we are mid Division 2 (4th place) and are looking at remaining in Division 2 next year (probably - given we win a minimum of 2 of our remaining 7 games...). Next year if rosters remain status quo we would definitely be fighting for survival. Given the fact we're an older team and have a definite beer league practice schedule (practice, what is practice???), we will have to add a few very solid bodies to the lineup to remain in the top half of the league. But it almost goes beyond that - do we have to adjust our attitudes from beer leaguers to something a bit more serious? Because whilst we have some very solid talent on our team, it's just a good run and some fun for all of us. I've played in Division 1 and mentality there is definitely different from Division 2 (although calibre of Div 2 is better now than 5+ years ago).

So I think next year a shift in mentality is needed for existing Division 2 teams if they want to remain competitive. Calibre will be higher. Not significantly, but enough to notice. There won't be any gimme games that there has been in the past.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
^^^Teelay...with all due respect, and I mean this sincerely (since I myself am thinking about it unless I turn my fitness around something fierce :D ) , have you considered Masters soccer? Not sure what your age level is but if you are really a beer league kind of team maybe it's time to leave the ranks of Men's and move on to Masters?

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
^^^Teelay...with all due respect, and I mean this sincerely (since I myself am thinking about it unless I turn my fitness around something fierce :D ) , have you considered Masters soccer? Not sure what your age level is but if you are really a beer league kind of team maybe it's time to leave the ranks of Men's and move on to Masters?

We have about 5 guys eligible for Masters and we have a Masters CAT team (Westside Knights) so us old guys have a place to play when we can't compete in Open. We have a team that can compete in the new Div 2 but will have to add a few Primos :) as we've got a connection there already and they are STINKING up Div 1!

Mercurial

Sep 17, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Someone please tell me what in the blue hell is up with that "Friends United" team with 107 goals against or some ridiculously unfathomable rape-like figure like that?:eek:

Well they are friends united, united in getting pissed drunk at the end of every match to keep their egos barely above water, like only the closest of friends can do:D

In all seriousness though.......

W T F ?!?!??!!??!

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Someone please tell me what in the blue hell is up with that "Friends United" team with 107 goals against or some ridiculously unfathomable rape-like figure like that?:eek:

Well they are friends united, united in getting pissed drunk at the end of every match to keep their egos barely above water, like only the closest of friends can do:D

In all seriousness though.......

W T F ?!?!??!!??!
This team came in late only spot was on cat A according to our president when i asked after we won it was a joke for our players to play this level of team as cat A was div 1 cat last season ,they are a Iranian team from north shore league.
play is lower than vmsl div 3 nice guys though good sports not there fault they ended up in the wrong div,they do not drink.
they have no team play at all and the worst goalies i have ever seen
most of them do not even know the rules .

Tuna

Jul 4, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
This team came in late only spot was on cat A according to our president when i asked after we won it was a joke for our players to play this level of team as cat A was div 1 cat last season ,they are a Iranian team from north shore league.
play is lower than vmsl div 3 nice guys though good sports not there fault they ended up in the wrong div,they do not drink.
they have no team play at all and the worst goalies i have ever seen
most of them do not even know the rules .

They should be encouraged to drink and drink rather heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0