Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Division 2] 2007-08 Combined Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallKicker

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Monday 8pm vs Friday 9pm. I think the decision on which is more problematic would be best answered by persons(teams) other than you and me to avoid...the bias.
Classic line from that game came from one of you players who was bringing the corner flags out of the shed with 10mins left to kickoff and with only 6 blue Norvan Jerseys in sight..."Do I need to put these out?"

Both of those times are non-ideal, I don't think one is worse than the other. They're certainly not an excuse for losing a game, as any team in any league has to be prepared to play games outside of their comfort zone.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both of those times are non-ideal, I don't think one is worse than the other. They're certainly not an excuse for losing a game, as any team in any league has to be prepared to play games outside of their comfort zone.
I think that those matches are both good and bad for the home teams. Top teams will be extra motivated for those games because they are irritated at having to drive out there, such as us in the first game in Ladner. The drive home is much longer if you lose.
On the other hand, teams that are a bit lower in the standings won't be as motivated and probably won't be able to get a full squad out on time on the longer journeys, such as JB's last week. It cuts both ways.
Ultimately, I prefer either of those away games to having our home games moved from Point Grey to the hell-hole that is David Lam. :mad:

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, and with regard to which of the two choices is worse, I prefer going to Ladner on Friday. The pitch is newer and far better than Confederation, especially in the rain, and most folks don't have to work early the next morning.

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oggy, I understand your frustration of having to play on a crappy David Lam field.

HOWEVER, you must take into account that you guys are playing Div 2, and at the end of the day, the higher Div's take priority. Div 2 and 3 will always get the crappy fields.

You should have been around before when there were not as many turf fields. Strathcona, Moberly, etc were the norm.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Classic line from that game came from one of you players who was bringing the corner flags out of the shed with 10mins left to kickoff and with only 6 blue Norvan Jerseys in sight..."Do I need to put these out?"

Our Club president actually. He had been in North Van for a school function earlier that evening and that is why he was late.

We only can get evening times at the field, be it Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights. We would rather play on turf than have to use Beach Grove or any of the other dodgy south delta grass fields we would have access to. Last year we tried to have our CAT and Club teams play Saturday night (7pm and 9pm) and our u21 plays sunday night 7pm. The league vetoed that and we had saturday night u21 games, friday night club games and sunday beach grove CAT games. This year we have the Cat and U21s playing saturday night and on a club basis it is great as guys stay or come early to support the other team and it makes it less time consuming for those of us involved with the management side of things. 1/2 of our guys normally roll into the Landing after home games anyway so this gives evryone a chance to socialize as well. ANd for our u-21's it gives us older guys a chance to embarass them in front of their "young" girlfriends. :D

The league is against sunday night games apparently but they are going to be losing that argument eventually when teams keep getting turf allocations during that time.

The monday night thing is difficult as most guys work the next day so it is a bit of a pain in the ass but i would rather play it on turf than maybe play it or maybe not on a winter sunday.

I would think we are going to see more and more of these evening games on turf and might even start to see teams that have home games during midweek at some point. I don't care to be honest as long as there is lots of notice as a midweek game is no differebt than training. ( although everyone would proobably show up:D. )

I happened to like playing at David Lam over the years. Until the strike this year the field has not been terrible during the winter and you cannot beat the scenery on a warm fall/winter/spring day.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oggy, I understand your frustration of having to play on a crappy David Lam field.

HOWEVER, you must take into account that you guys are playing Div 2, and at the end of the day, the higher Div's take priority. Div 2 and 3 will always get the crappy fields.

You should have been around before when there were not as many turf fields. Strathcona, Moberly, etc were the norm.
I've been around for several years in various leagues here and played on maaaaaany shitty fields including those. Strathcona is bliss compared to some of the summer league pitches. My frustration with David Lam is more personal, since YFC spent our first two seasons with that as our home pitch. Objectively viewed, there are worse pitches, but I have a personal dislike for that place which wasn't helped by the league moving the two biggest games of our season up to that point from Point Grey to David Lam. Even when it was our home pitch, I was glad when the PB essentially closed it for the season in early October and our home games moved to Strathcona, Memorial, and Kensington.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army, how come you guys can't get on Association?

Is the turf at Winskill any good?

No idea. Actually we had one game scheduled for it earlier this year but moved it to Holly. I believe between the Ladner boys/ girls clubs and delta united it is booked. That may have changed but last year it was definitely like that and seeing we have become accustomed to the turf don't really want to change now.

Noone actually uses it and it is great shape right now as i was by there a couple of weekend ago.

Winskill Turf is pretty nice. Still fluffy and they have benches with cover on the sideline plus enough area to warm up in withut being on the field.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army, you obviously didn't drive by association this past week when the ditches overflowed to about 10 yards onto the highway side of the field. It is a great summer pitch but in the winter it can't handle water at all, the municipality closes it early so as not to damage it.

BallKicker

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yeah, I love how a div 2 top of the table match gets moved for a mid-table Div 1CAT game 3 or 4 days prior to the match. It really shows how much the league admins care for us muckers in Div 2.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Army, you obviously didn't drive by association this past week when the ditches overflowed to about 10 yards onto the highway side of the field. It is a great summer pitch but in the winter it can't handle water at all, the municipality closes it early so as not to damage it.

OD, back with Delta united we were the last team to play on it for 6 years running. We killled it sometime in beginning of december each year. It never got closed until then and after it had 3 games on it every weekend by december it was a grassless muddy hellhole( it was great to play on though:D).

After the snowfall it got wet and muddy. Until then it was pretty good, no mud as noonw is using it and the holes in the goals look to ahev actual grass like substances in them and not the gravel/sand/barkmulxh mixture of summer

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, I love how a div 2 top of the table match gets moved for a mid-table Div 1CAT game 3 or 4 days prior to the match. It really shows how much the league admins care for us muckers in Div 2.

It honestly doesn't matter where you play as both teams are dealing with it. i would like to play on turf but i would be happy playing at Beach Grove or any mucky field if that is all we had. We just want to play. We are scheduled at Strathcona this weekend are hoping we can get the game in. Noone wants to miss games.

BallKicker

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It honestly doesn't matter where you play as both teams are dealing with it. i would like to play on turf but i would be happy playing at Beach Grove or any mucky field if that is all we had. We just want to play. We are scheduled at Strathcona this weekend are hoping we can get the game in. Noone wants to miss games.

True enough, but everyone has preferences. Would you guys be thrilled if you had to play at Beach Grove at noon on a saturday because the league wanted a 1CAT game on the turf that has been your home field all year? Probably not....

The worst part of the deal is the change of date and/or time. When people have arranged their schedules and made other commitments, a change like that can screw over your lineup. Again, it's the same for both sides, but it sucks when it happens.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Although both teams are dealing with the same pitch, the surface will definitely suit certain teams and players more than others. Our game against Bosna a couple of weeks ago was a case in point. They were playing for a 0-0 draw from the outset, and the muck and Kensington almost let them get away with it. I don't think there is any way that game would've gone down to the last minute on turf. In the same way, you guys drew with Bosna on grass, but should kill them on turf in Ladner.
Shitty fields are a great leveler- something we Blackburn supporters are very thankful for when Chelski and the Arse come to visit.:D

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
True enough, but everyone has preferences. Would you guys be thrilled if you had to play at Beach Grove at noon on a saturday because the league wanted a 1CAT game on the turf that has been your home field all year? Probably not....

But the league has no time allocation on the turf field we use. We pay for it not the league. It is expensive for our club considering we use it for 5- 2 hour blocks every 2 weeks on average. ( We also have an informal weekly time that noone else uses and we use if guys feel like practicing on a monday. Not sure how the field allocation works everywhere else but i believe the league has a bunch of allocation itself that it schedules as it sees fit.

Jun 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
BallKicker,

Westside FC has been around a long time. My guess is they have first priority over Point Grey Turf before any other club. Their traditional home field of Hillcrest is under construction, so they got moved to Point Grey.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
True enough, but everyone has preferences. Would you guys be thrilled if you had to play at Beach Grove at noon on a saturday because the league wanted a 1CAT game on the turf that has been your home field all year?
Actually, as Dezza pointed out, Point Grey was off-limits that weekend for the university championships. Scheduling the 1CAT game must have been an oversight by the league, and they ended up cancelling it the following day. The league has bumped Div. 2 teams for premier teams in the past, but that wasn't what happened on that occasion, and it's never happened to us.

BallKicker

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah yes that's right.... although I do believe we did get bumped the week after that (vs. C-lects) for a Div 1 game. At least we play at point grey most of the time :)

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah yes that's right.... although I do believe we did get bumped the week after that (vs. C-lects) for a Div 1 game. At least we play at point grey most of the time :)
That was the C-Lects home game. The 8-1 was our home game, and it was moved because they were still refinishing the track at Point Grey.
Nice and frosty out there this morning- see if anything gets cancelled this weekend due to frozen pitches...

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Below is Week 15 which will be 2007's last installment of the Bonefish Combined Rankings.
Westside Knights are inching closer to a top 5 ranking so make sure the apple reserves keep coming in 2008. Div2A/2C group leaders need to watch the Turkey intake if they want to survive the dogfight at the top of the standings as there are only 4-6 more opportunities to put your bid in for promotion. Finally, Cup play is just around the corner to help answer those questions about which group has the stronger teams.

A safe and happy holiday to all.

1. Shocking Results: NK Tumble out of the top 10 with their 4-0 loss to Bosna, Shaheen drawing vs Kosova, and Bombastic fails in their "Truly Undefeated" quest with a 0-0 tie vs PG Rangers.
2. Biggest Drop: NK(12th), Norvan(21st), B-United(29th)
3. Biggets Climb: Unicorns(10th), Bosna(14th), Hellas(26th)

Code:
TWk	LWk	DRank	Grp	#Games	Team	      PwrRank	WktoWk
1	1	1	B	13	BOMBASTIC SC	148	0
2	2	2	A	13	YALETOWN FC	133.5	0
3	4	1	A	14	RANGERS FC 'A'	122.5	1
4	3	1	C	13	GN SPORTING	119	-1
5	5	2	C	13	GREEN DEVILS FC	100	0
6	6	2	B	12	DOUGLAS PARK	98	0
7	7	3	C	12	W.SIDE KNIGHTS	97.5	0
8	8	3	A	13	PCOV 'A'	89.5	0
9	10	3	B	13	SQUAMISH FC	85.5	1
10	13	4	C	12	UNICORNS FC	75.5	3