Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Division 2] Results, Banter & Predictions - Jan 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Personally, I think they should just take the top sixteen teams from Bonefish's power rankings:)

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Problem is that they typically start Cup before teams finish playing their entire season, so how would they determine the placings of teams? If a 4th place team in 2C, for example, had played 10 games and the team in 5th had played 8, but was only 1 point behind, who gets to go in the Cup? Also, quality of opponent has to be considered even if teams have played equal games. The only way this could fly is if the season is played entirely by all teams, then the Cup play is at the end.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teelay said:
Problem is that they typically start Cup before teams finish playing their entire season, so how would they determine the placings of teams? If a 4th place team in 2C, for example, had played 10 games and the team in 5th had played 8, but was only 1 point behind, who gets to go in the Cup? Also, quality of opponent has to be considered even if teams have played equal games. The only way this could fly is if the season is played entirely by all teams, then the Cup play is at the end.

Yup...definitely some teams going to be disapointed by this for those reasons. Puts the league in a tough spot as well as they can't really control the number of games each team has played to date. No real winner here.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In taking a quick look at the Div 2(CAT incl) Standings.
2A: No real controversies in picking top 4 teams
2B: Alemania has a real chance of being screwed.
2C: City had they not been docked 3pts would be potentially bending over.
2CATA: Either Lobbans and Surrey will have some reasons to bitch
2CATB:City FC Rangers might get doubly penetrated and Bombastic will be the fluffer.

If you want to make it Quote-UnQuote, Utopian Fair, their are two options without a time machine, weather machine or both. Play into summer or do not play at all. That is not going to happen so perhaps for those teams that are on the "bubble" some sort of draw or further analysis of records could be done.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cheers Bonefish.

In the 2c side we also have 8 minutes to play in a game we are up 2-0 in. Can't argue about the points being docked as that was a mistake one our part but at least one of our teams should get in. If not we would be rather pissed off about it.

As for the CAT side, we are 2 points out of second and have played 2 less games. i am assuming the league will go on a points per game played basis or this will be a aserious issue to those teams getting jobbed with less games played.

I have no problem with the 16 team cup play thing going on, but the league should do their damndest to make sure they have games scheduled on every single turf field and available spot that there is when the fields are open.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to say that right now I am very thankful that we got off Hillcrest and took a full time spot at PG Turf this year.

Blaze, perhaps you could swap home spots between your 2 teams to ensure the CAT team gets games in on turf over the next few weeks (assuming we get back to the usual rain outs instead of snow outs). I'm sure your 2C opposition won't mind playing with the cows at the grove :D

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have a spot at our Turf field to play on now for the CAT team. We have had 1 forfeit and 1 snow out or whtever on it so far as well as one it's too late to change it. The too late too change one was psotponed as Beach Grove had water in a couple of spots too make it unplayable.

We have moved the cows off the field now. We are farming sheep there now. :D ( Insert or come up with jokes as you like, that was the point.)

I am sure they won't decide for 2 weeks on the final outcome of who is in and who isn't. We have 4 turf times available on 3different nights ofthe week so getting games in shouldn't be all that difficult, if the league is going to be aggressive in scheduling them.

TS

Jun 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
bandcamp said:
so on to RFC for another fun tilt this Saturday! Should have our team back for this one as the Seahawks are on the road.

I was looking fwd to playing you guys, too but doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon. We're coming off a great win over Douglas Park (3-1) and were looking to keep playing in the hopes of making a deep cup run. If the Cup is shortened to 16 teams, some teams will definitely get screwed. But that's nothing new when it comes to VMSL decision making. So we're just gonna have to sit and wait for Azzi's plan of attack, as warped as it may be. There are some strong teams in div 2 this year: Polonia, Signmaster, Primo, Richmond, Romania, JB's, GD's, YFC, and CAT teams, whom I know nothing about. So the shortened cup play should result in some great matches. Maybe the way it should always be?

TS

ps- hoping to play the JBs in the cup and renew an old rivalry (now that we actually have a squad)

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would rather they do the opposite. Axe any games in seasonal play that won't affect promotion and focus on Cup play... with all teams involved.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teelay said:
I would rather they do the opposite. Axe any games in seasonal play that won't affect promotion and focus on Cup play... with all teams involved.
If they started the cup early enough, such as within the next month, they should be able to get everyone in. After two weeks, 75% of the teams would be out of the cup and could play makeup games on any available fields left over after the cup games are scheduled.

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why don't they just postpone cup play until the majority of the regular season play is complete and then decide to play all teams, reduce the numbers or not play at all.

I haven't really thought it out when you decide that the majority of games are played. I've always wondered why cup play was in the middle of the season instead of closer to the the end. In years past, teams had to play back to back league games to make-up missed games and some teams just did not finish the season. They could play back to back cup games instead. I believe that regular season play is more important.

But to simplify things, just play all teams or just don't play.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vinnie said:
But to simplify things, just play all teams or just don't play.
It is not as simple as that. League Cup begets Provinical Cup which in turn begets National Cup. As of March 31st, there are not a whole lot fields available as spring/summer leagues for non-soccer sports begin as well as the "fallowing"(maintenance) of high use grass fields. With these time constraints in mind and given the number of make-up games already on the table(Must be approaching 200), the only way to meet both the cup and league play requirments is to reduce the Cup entrants in as judicious a manner as possible.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Correction....

bonefish said:
It is not as simple as that. Div 2 League Cup begets Provinical B Cup which in turn begets a passing mention on the BCSA website. As of March 31st, there are not a whole lot fields available as spring/summer leagues for non-soccer sports begin as well as the "fallowing"(maintenance) of high use grass fields. With these time contsraints in mind and given the number of make-up games already on the table(Must be approaching 200), the only way to meet both the cup and league play requirments is to reduce the Cup entrants in as judicious a manner as possible.

:D

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dezza must be munching his brain power enabling, kittles and bits today... :D
Yes, in the narrower context of Div 2 (read a bunch of Beer drinking mofo's most with 2 left feet) we don't get out of the province. I stand corrected.

In last years cup...most of the teams that played in the Round of 16 were top teams. And of the ones that weren't, they were there by virture of having byes in the early rounds, or they were paired off against weak(er) teams. There were hardly any "serious upsets".
Anyways, it sucks not getting to play soccer that is due to you but maybe there will be a silver lining...I mean Golden Boot Certificates for those that get bumped...

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well on the official website the reduction in teams in Cup is pretty much a done deal with further reduction a definite possibility. Lame.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bonefish (or any other JBer),
What are the odds of us playing tomorrow evening? Someone mentioned that North Van didn't get as much snow as the city. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0