Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters A Cup 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The cup draw is supposedly being done today.

I'll update this post once the league updates the Excellent site with the draw.

Can Wickham make some noise and get a BC berth this year?

PRELIMINARY ROUND
Game 1: Surrey United vs Cliff Avenue 'M-A'
Game 2: Wickham FC vs Cracovia FC
Game 3: Metro-Ford Firefighters vs Westside Bulldogs
Game 4: Westside FC 'A' vs Romanian FC

ROUND OF 16
Game 5: Sapperton Rovers vs Winner of Game 1
Game 6: Winner of Game 2 vs Winner of Game 3
Game 7: PCOV 'A' vs Winner of Game 4
Game 8: Meraloma SC vs RCIU Athletics
Game 9: West Van FC vs KLM Alemania
Game 10: SFU Royals vs Lobbans FC
Game 11: Columbus FC vs ICSF Inter
Game 12: ICSF/22nd Avenue Lions vs Shaheen FC

QUARTERFINALS
Game 13: Winner of Game 5 vs Winner of Game 6
Game 14: Winner of Game 7 vs Winner of Game 8
Game 15: Winner of Game 9 vs Winner of Game 10
Game 16: Winner of Game 11 vs Winner of Game 12

SEMIFINALS
Game 17: Winner of Game 13 vs Winner of Game 14
Game 18: Winner of Game 15 vs Winner of Game 16

FINAL
Game 19: Winner of Game 17 vs Winner of Game 18

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
The cup draw is now posted above in the first thread post.

We certainly have our work cut out for us :(

At first glance, the bottom half of the draw looks easier than the top half though barring any real significant upsets, the 5th spot in the league standings should get a BC berth for sure.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The first thing I notice is Sapp has to play either SU or Cliff at least 2 more times this year. That in itself will act as an equalizer between us and make for a great game in the round of 16. The draw is definitely not favourable for any of us.
#2. Wickham will get to prove itself as a Premier team. They get MFFC and then a "stronger" Prem opponent in the next round if they manage the upset. This will guage where they stand as a Premier squad.
#3. West Van & Columbus have a walk to the semis.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do we know when the first games are being played and so on?

Personally I don't think it matters who you draw ect....it is all about how you are playing going into the games! That said I do like our draw:)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Going by past years, I would expect the prelim round to get going the weekend of the 13/14/15, ie, in 2 weeks.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
much like the open imperial cup draw, i have a hard time accepting that the division 1 teams get a bye past the "preliminary round". the worst div 1 team (lobbans at the bottom of the standings) gets a bye into the round of 16 againts another div 1 team...shite show.

Planks

Oct 9, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,
That is what we thought last year and then we ran into Shaheen, They beat us. WTF. So never underestimate your supposed lower opponent.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
much like the open imperial cup draw, i have a hard time accepting that the division 1 teams get a bye past the "preliminary round". the worst div 1 team (lobbans at the bottom of the standings) gets a bye into the round of 16 againts another div 1 team...shite show.

Huh? Lobbans aren't at the bottom of the standings and will give whoever they play a very good game.

T-Idiot

Sep 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,
That is what we thought last year and then we ran into Shaheen, They beat us. WTF. So never underestimate your supposed lower opponent.

Must have been Shaheen's Midget Keeper that played stellar ......

Planks no need to respond I already apologized to Sir M and Dic'n'Cid
for my Bad feedback on Shaheen
Not saying i was dishonest just that the two Times we played them
their goalie drove up to the net in a clown car

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, on a more interesting note. I notice that ICSF Inter will play Columbus in their respective first round games, and then the winner will go up against the winner of Shaheen and the proverbial 22nd Avenue Lions. I must say, I hope, for entertainment purposes that the Lions go through to meet Inter or Columbus. Those will be excellent games, hopefully all on grass in the East End! I say play them at Callister park...:p

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah Trece...but Beaconsfield will never have the atmosphere that I heard Callister Park had...what happened there anways? I used to live nearby and would take my son on the swings but I would have loved to play in the ole park. Trece, you are old enough. How was it?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
SCK, I am old enough, barely. I remember my dad taking me to the Croatia vs Columbus games or Columbus vs Firefighter games there when I was a kid. It was amazing. I just remember Sergio Zanatta spitting on players, and also fans charging the field and going after the ref...I must have been maybe 6 or 7 years old. Needless to say, to travel over there at the time, it was pretty cool for a little kid. They had demolition derby there too if I recall correctly. I also seem to recall Billy Grant and Al Cattley who later on would be with Peg in the formative years, but I could be going senile.

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Sir M. for the history lesson!! What memories those must have been. My wife's famiglia has many memories there too. Not sure about the spitting incident but Italians could have been responsible for such actions. In any case, maybe this belong on another thread of how Vancouver's soccer roots began. It is a shame we don't have such a park although one could argue that Kinsmen or the Seamen(not sure of spelling) Centre is representative of many other memories.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Smartarse...

Yes I am old enough. Callister Park had the stands demo'd in 1971. Since I didn't live here then, I don't remember games at the park, but a lot of older friends and relatives have mentioned them.

From what I've researched, the PNE was using the park up to 1969, when the carpet was put into Empire Stadium. Apparently they swapped the carpet for the park space with the city, and since the visionaries at the Parks Board couldn't see any reason why anybody would want to play on grass when there was a brand new state-of-the-art carpet available:rolleyes:, they trashed the stadium and started planting trees instead, and we lost some more history.

Swangard opening up around the same time (1969) may also have had something to do with its demise...

If anybody cares, yes, there were amateur games played at Empire as well. The Industrial League (amongst several others) played there, and I got some games in as a wide-eyed kid on the same field where the Whitecaps were packing in 25-30 000 on a regular basis.

Too long ago....

Trece

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
SCK, I did not mean that as a reference to any group (for example, Italian-Canadians), but one thing I really remember is Sergio spitting on people, and his heavy shot. Its amazing how time distorts one's memory, but for some reason I have vivid recollections of him taking a direct free kick from some 20 yards out or so, and it hitting the crossbar (west side of the field) and actually seeing it bending backwards several inches from the force of the strike. For all I know now, some 40 years later, it was a complete hallucination, but I think there is some basis for that somewhere deep in the Sir M memory bank. Fascinating for a young boy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0