Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters Div 2] Predictions, Results & Banter 2010/2011]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: VMSL Masters Div 3 Results and Banter, 2010-2011

Horses won 3-1. I am told that the fact JAGS, Eagles, and league leading scorer JVD being absent made a difference. And I am also told that Bro being away was huge.

Danny may be getting called back up very soon Luch.

Sir M

Thanks for the update Sir M. Looks like the Horses have wrapped up promo. DV is always quality.

~Luch

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Catch-up time. One-goal games can be extremely deceptive: you can be honest with yourself and say "we didn't play well enough to hold a lead/tie" or "we didn't deserve to win that one;" or you can lie to yourself and say that "it was a close one and we were really in it."

Goo Boys 2 Us 1 (or: An Example of What Happens When You Only Decide to Play for 30 Minutes of a 90 Minute Match). For 60 minutes, they sucked but we sucked worse. We played real soccer for 30 minutes and were only able to put one away. Poor effort and a deserved result.

HNK 3 Us 2. Prefaced with the following disclaimer: having your 2 starting centre backs sitting out with accumulated yellow cards at the same time is not conducive to winning games. Especially when a 3rd back is away on vacation... That said, we came out flat and gave up 2 bad ones in the first half. Woke up in the 2nd half and tied it up, then lost one of our strikers to a badly-called 2nd yellow and couldn't keep the momentum going. They made an opportunity out of nothing and put their 3rd in with about 2 minutes left.

The man in the middle was very clearly out of his depth, and should return to his comfort level, which would seem to be about U16 bronze... Our forward deservedly picked up a yellow card for a fairly rash challenge, but wasn't really on the radar. About 75 minutes in, he received the ball and turned, shielding the ball from his check just by using his body. There was contact between him and his check, which looked pretty incidental to everyone present except the ref, who blew the play down. We thought "okay, he's giving us a free kick for the defender contacting our forward from behind..." except out came the yellow card, followed immediately by the red. Mr. Ref was adamant that he saw an errant elbow that nobody else did. Sucks to be us...

Yes, Sir M, that was me with the big malamutt puppy. The Daemonspawn and La Señora are both involved in Scouting, so we attended the parade and cenotaph ceremony. You should have come over and said hello.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I should have said hello Trece. You are right. Next time...M.

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I may relegate myself to only coaching duties the remainder of the season. Huge win for the Horses yesterday. Congrats to all of them. It was great to get the result on the way home from Maui!!

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Westside 2-1 Killarney

I don't think we've ever done very well coming back from a tour (I personally wasn't in Chile but most of the guys who were at the game were). But there's always a first time...

We scored 2 quick ones and I thought it was going to be a long night for the Trece and his Spurs but the tide changed somewhat and they scored one to come back to a one goal game. I thought we deserved the points but when it's close like that anything can happen.

Good to see Trece out on the field, you big hack!

Cheers, Peter

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Hello yerself, ya bearded old coot!

Relatively accurate account of the game by Peter but a couple of things to add.

Chewy summed it up pretty succinctly: "we start bad." That's been the case for our last 3 one-goal games in a row. Not helped at all by the tight windows that the Vancouver Parks Board uses for field allocation: kids were practicing on the field right up to our scheduled kick-off time, so no real warm-up for either side led to an even more disjointed effort than normal.

It took Peter's guys about 3 1/2 minutes to walk through our defense and put the first one away, and then the second one went in slow motion past our disinterested keeper about 3 minutes later. Down 2-0 less than 10 minutes in. Some very choice words for the back and a couple of subs later, we woke up and pushed back. Our goal was scored on a nice counter about 30 minutes in, and that was all for the game's scoring.

I'd say we had the best chances as we pressed for the 2nd half; with a couple of free kicks especially: one drifting just wide of the far post due to the extremely lightweight new Chilean game ball brought back by the Westside guys as a souvenir, and the other just tipped over the bar by their keeper with just a couple of minutes left. We pressed hard but didn't generate the results we needed.

Note for Eagles: not even a sniff of single malt available. You might have to lose the change room key for these guys...:D

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sorry Trece on the scotch front. We are all on a self-imposed 4 days off drinking. But, now it is friday - game on :knvb:

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

WV 6 - Westside 1. We went down early and it was 1-1 at the half. Hillcrest is a touch below a cow pasture. Merks made some great saves early for Westside. We started the 2nd half a bit better and got a few early. Merks had to leave the game, which was a shame. Some thought it was dirty play, but it was a 50/50 ball and the ball hit Merks in the head and then he hit heads with Acko. No forearm or arm raised, like some thought. Westside then had a few injuries, which got them down to 10. Good bunch of lads on Westside.

JAGS

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

So, by my calculations, the Horses clinch the division with today's win. Congratulations.

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Hopefully Merks is okay - great guy on and off the field. Luch not sure if your calculations are right. By the way - I had a great match at Wailea Blue today. Good job today horses!!

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

It was a fun game, I could have used a sub at the 60 minute mark but, alas, when I cried out for one the only answer was the clinking of the beer, the screech of the cooler hinges and the sighs from ice application to bruised limbs.

I would like to think that with a few more guys and a few less game day injuries, we could have given you guys more of a game, but at the end of the day, we're an O-45/50 team and we can't wait for a division to play in within the VMSL and you guys belong in 1st at least...Merks is ok.

Peter

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Time to bring a thread back to near-life...

A little bit of catch up for our viewing audience:
  1. The ball is the round thing that bounces in the middle of the pitch (as opposed to the beer bellies on our midfielders, which also bounce in the middle of the pitch).
  2. The ball is the item that you are supposed to kick.
  3. Don't kick me unless I have already kicked you first.

Finally a little bit of luck in our last game before the break, as we took advantage of the sorry state of the NK choo choo and derailed the old train. Doubly good, as we had suffered 4 straight one goal losses prior to that. Nuff said about Watcher's problems; it was still good to catch up with Vincenzo & Son on the field.

Tomorrow brings an end to our extended hiatus as we finally get to meet the Flying Horsies on their park with a VERY depleted lineup (who goes on holidays in January anyway?), so we're hoping that they take it easy on the basement dwellers from the far side of the table and don't lock us out of the change rooms...

Also, as we are unlike some other clubs and can actually afford a second set of jerseys, what colours should we expect to see on the Winged Ones? Eagles, we are expecting salmon on the BBQ, especially with so many of our East Van lads having to wander into unfamiliar territory on the other side of the bridge...

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
re: [VMSL Masters Div 3] Predictions, Results & Banter 2010/2011/2012

Trece, Eagles is up in some unholy Hedonistic thing with the bear cubs at Sun Peaks and doesn't have internet access. But I believe that the Horsies normally will wear white shorts and socks, and either royal blue tops or white tops...Sir M

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sun peaks hedonist camp wow. Salmon is great up here!!!

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I thought you said you didn't have internet access Eagles.

PS: put your clothes back on. Its cold outside.

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Just figured out how to use internet on my gal gails phone. Off to the only nightclub in sunpeaks. It is called madaddys! Classic. Hot tub after

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Post a comparison to the Velvet Underground later Eagles...

Sir M

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Sir M:

No comparison there. The bar in Sun Peaks is full of healthy young skiing types, and Eagles & the Bear Cubs. The VU is full of well, Eagles & the Bear Cubs. There is nothing unholy about Sun Peaks unless the Daemonspawn and their evil cousins are there (I do have family in the area).

Yesterday's game however, was quite unholy, as both teams looked to have added substantial amounts of rust and turkey. The score of this defensive struggle ended up 7-3 for the Horsies, as both teams struggled to play defense (although we struggled a bit more with the concept than they did).

West Van have a very good offensive side. Heck, Brolly and DVaughn are offensive to everyone.:D They play textbook control soccer, with a very good sense of where their team-mates are moving to, so there was a lot of one-touch played that would have been pretty to watch if we weren't trying to defend against it. Defensively, it looked like they were missing as many players as we were, as there is no way that a team that is supposed to be as good as these guys are should give an old slow guy like me time to take a ball down at the top of the box, tee it up for a volley and put in in the back of their net.:rolleyes: If that's not the case, they will need to bolster the back line for when they move up to Div 2.

BTW for those keeping score:
  1. no signage at Ambleside as to which field is which (Field "B" is currently the same as Field "C").
  2. No Eagles = no salmon bbq for us (hospitality - feh!)
  3. No change rooms (glad we brought our tent)
  4. West Van wore their mud-attracting whites while we picked a slightly more aesthetic and slimming blue

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yeah there is a lot of construction going on down at Ambleside, it should be all good by next season.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Finally played another game...

Once again, a team gave the old slow guy too much time with the ball and it ended up in the back of their net.:D Problem was, we didn't keep the ball out of our net enough...:mad: Need more goal scorers...

Maplewood 2 Us 1, with Rene in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0