Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see VMSL raised their referee and ar rates..

This is cut paste from their website:

As discussed at the AGM, the league is increasing referee fees $10 per head referee and $5 per linesman across the board for 2017-18 to account for an increase in costs since the last increase in 2012.

For teams playing 11 home games without linesmen, this has a $110 impact this season or about $5 per player.

With linesmen, this has a $220 impact per team over the season or about $10 per player.

Thank you for your understanding.

It was discussed at the AGM but not passed by the members, an email went out to the Premier teams asking if they were ok with it. Since the toll bridges won't be any longer is there a need to raise them given this was the reason the refs wanted them raised? I'm sorry but this was not passed by the members and \i have no issue with a raise but the reason given by Kevin Deliba was the increase was for tolls. Can someone answer or at least let us know which Premier teams agreed with the change?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@robj the way I read the email wasn't so much that it was asking for agreement, but rather if enough people complained then they might rethink the increase. I guess not enough people complained to make the league exec change their mind.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was discussed at the AGM but not passed by the members, an email went out to the Premier teams asking if they were ok with it. Since the toll bridges won't be any longer is there a need to raise them given this was the reason the refs wanted them raised? I'm sorry but this was not passed by the members and \i have no issue with a raise but the reason given by Kevin Deliba was the increase was for tolls. Can someone answer or at least let us know which Premier teams agreed with the change?

No tolls thanks to H H
Just buying votes south of Bridges

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
But seriously....how in the hell can ref fees go up. It's getting rediculous. They are up in the valley now also. With turf fields costing $100 per hour and now ref fees and game balls....it's getting up there in cost per game. I am all for a higher standard...but not when it is pay to play...

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
@robj the way I read the email wasn't so much that it was asking for agreement, but rather if enough people complained then they might rethink the increase. I guess not enough people complained to make the league exec change their mind.

Correction at the AGM the motion was brought forward to bring the refs fees up for the BCSA meeting. The motion to bring the VMSL ref fees was put in abeyance pending a discussion with the refs and Premier teams and to revisit it for next year. I know this because it was my motion. The motion would have failed at our AGM had it been put forward knowing this I put that motion forward. It WON'T be me but don't be surprised if someone puts a motion forward to decrease the ref fees next year as there were many in that room that were against it. Just saying. This wasn't the way to go about it. I responded to the vmsl email in this topic when it was brought forward but never got a response. And mine wasn't a complaint on the fee increase, it was to follow what was passed at the meeting. The argument that was brought forward was mostly in regards to the toll fees for the reasoning behind the increase. If the refs actually claimed this as a business they could probably write off the gas, equipment they need, and tolls. Am I correct here @Rangerforever

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, but depending on how the league pays them, it may be more advantageous to simply pocket the cash than to declare the income then pay taxes.

I think it comes to them by way of cash, so no write-off in play, assuming they don't report it.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL - Correct.

You have to report the revenue to in turn claim the expenses.* :rolleyes: ;)

*This is in no way shape or form a comment on how individual officials in the lower mainland report fees for services to CRA. :D

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL - Correct.

You have to report the revenue to in turn claim the expenses.* :rolleyes: ;)
The only Reason Al Capone went to prison was
He did not pay his taxes

*This is in no way shape or form a comment on how individual officials in the lower mainland report fees for services to CRA. :D

blade

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
But seriously....how in the hell can ref fees go up. It's getting rediculous. They are up in the valley now also. With turf fields costing $100 per hour and now ref fees and game balls....it's getting up there in cost per game. I am all for a higher standard...but not when it is pay to play...

Don't we all "pay to play amateur soccer?" I am of the distinct impression that my group has been doing so for several years now.....

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Correction at the AGM the motion was brought forward to bring the refs fees up for the BCSA meeting. The motion to bring the VMSL ref fees was put in abeyance pending a discussion with the refs and Premier teams and to revisit it for next year. I know this because it was my motion. The motion would have failed at our AGM had it been put forward knowing this I put that motion forward. It WON'T be me but don't be surprised if someone puts a motion forward to decrease the ref fees next year as there were many in that room that were against it. Just saying. This wasn't the way to go about it. I responded to the vmsl email in this topic when it was brought forward but never got a response. And mine wasn't a complaint on the fee increase, it was to follow what was passed at the meeting. The argument that was brought forward was mostly in regards to the toll fees for the reasoning behind the increase. If the refs actually claimed this as a business they could probably write off the gas, equipment they need, and tolls. Am I correct here @Rangerforever

Hello Rob

Just to correct you a little bit Duliba just happened to write the letter on behalf of the VMSL ref's not any other league ( Utah :) ). We all asked for the raise because we felt we deserve one. To do games every week we are asked to travel to all corners of the Lower mainland, and we don't have the luxury to "playing home gates every 2 weeks".
My truck mileage on average does at 3000 kilometers a year in soccer refereeing activates, at some parks we are required to pay for your parking. Now we are blessed by the NDP to free bridge crossing but we all know they will hike up something else to pay for the bridges.
We are also required to do BC courses which are not free and pay for assessments, new uniforms and equipment .

Before you all jump on and say we don't deserve it ( as a player I agree some referees that don't put in the work on the field )it would be unfair to punish those who do.

A lot of people do criticize but would never referee, try it and then comment.

E11even

Sep 30, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm all for referee fees to go up. $15/game is roughly $150 per team extra a season. Worth it to keep the refs motivated and do a job most of us wouldn't dream of doing. If they increase it this season and decrease it next season, that would definitely not be a taken well. Anyone know how many new refs are joining the ranks each year roughly?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello Rob

Just to correct you a little bit Duliba just happened to write the letter on behalf of the VMSL ref's not any other league ( Utah :) ). We all asked for the raise because we felt we deserve one. To do games every week we are asked to travel to all corners of the Lower mainland, and we don't have the luxury to "playing home gates every 2 weeks".
My truck mileage on average does at 3000 kilometers a year in soccer refereeing activates, at some parks we are required to pay for your parking. Now we are blessed by the NDP to free bridge crossing but we all know they will hike up something else to pay for the bridges.
We are also required to do BC courses which are not free and pay for assessments, new uniforms and equipment .

Before you all jump on and say we don't deserve it ( as a player I agree some referees that don't put in the work on the field )it would be unfair to punish those who do.

Hopefully the extra income will allow a good lot of you to upgrade and get stronger eye glass prescriptions. And if there is any extra left over they can use it to call the occasional cab so they can leave the centre circle and visit the 18 yard box the odd time

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello Rob

Fair enough on your correction, all I was trying to say was this was not supposed to happen this year. I have no issues with refs, outside of one game last year, and thank god we only had him once, no it wasn't you :). I was happy with reffing. I wasn't against the increase but it should not have just gone into place because of the motion I put forward, and yes it was me that put it forward to take it to BC Soccer.

Cheers old man :)

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully the extra income will allow a good lot of you to upgrade and get stronger eye glass prescriptions. And if there is any extra left over they can use it to call the occasional cab so they can leave the centre circle and visit the 18 yard box the odd time

Better ask to raise the ref's fee's even more if I need to get glasses and a cab or shall we just send you the bill Akslop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0