Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Results & Banter - October 07'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was less than 10 feet from it and to me he was offside by 2 or 3 yards when the shot was taken. Regardless, 1-0 for the Sporting who are a pretty good side and making due with what they have right now.

It's tough to know already that second is the best we'll probably be on our side...

Eh, it's tough to know...........oh I won't bother.........let's just say if we were in your position we would be a lot happier. :D

Tommy Johnson

Oct 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL needs a upgrade in refs and lino's ,

This is a major understatement. Was a witness to the circus that is Rene at the Inter/Sapp game. I know, we all know it and its been said before, but this guy has got to go. Just when you think he has mellowed or is getting better, he takes it to another level. How can the refs not start to be held accountable? Why does that mickey mouse discipline court back them up 100%? Not only does he antagonize the young Inter goalie but grabs him by his collar. Hmmm....refs grabbing a player, that doesnt seem right? The best thing he did yesterday was give me a great idea for a hallowe'en costume. He needs to go the way of Mauritzio, before he crosses the wrong player and gets his accent slapped outta him. More Docherty, more Walks and maybe just a tad more of Miro.

Tommy Johnson

Oct 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
The VMSL needs a upgrade in refs and lino's ,

This is a major understatement. Was a witness to the circus that is Rene at the Inter/Sapp game. I know, we all know it and its been said before, but this guy has got to go. Just when you think he has mellowed or is getting better, he takes it to another level. How can the refs not start to be held accountable? Why does that mickey mouse discipline court back them up 100%? Not only does he antagonize the young Inter goalie but grabs him by his collar. Hmmm....refs grabbing a player, that doesnt seem right? The best thing he did yesterday was give me a great idea for a hallowe'en costume. He needs to go the way of Mauritzio, before he crosses the wrong player and gets his accent slapped outta him. More Docherty, more Walks and maybe just a tad more of Miro. Otherwise a rather dreary day what i thought was adanac. Couldnt tell because of the knee high grass.

sandbagger

Aug 27, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
what i thought was adanac. Couldnt tell because of the knee high grass.

Just a heads up to both Croatia and Surrey U. You guys might want to be pro-active this week in getting your game moved. Adanac is in terrible shape and should not be played on. If the league doesn't move the game, you'll end up like us yesterday having to play because of referee's discretion (or lack thereof).

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting fact, Norvan have played all their games, minus one at Kinsmen Stadium this year. Talk about a front-loaded schedule. I know it all works out the same in the end but doesn't it make you wonder if there really is such a thing as "homefield advantage" in local soccer?

I personally think that teams with field-turf as a home pitch, have an advantage on that surface.

Seds

Sep 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
RE: Homefield advantage

Interesting thought. We played a ton on turf last year and did fairly well on it. I think the rationale of the league (which I agree with) is to get as many games on Kinsman while it's still relatively dry. When it's in good condition, Kinsman is one of the best pitches out there (which doesn't say much), but once the rains hit, it's off to the turf pitch. As for home field advantage, is there really a difference if you're playing in Vancouver, Richmond, or Surrey? Does the ground count? Well not if you are regularly training on turf anyways.

Regardless, I think we'll have to test that theory of your's on Friday Gomesy. ;)

PS: Agreed - better linesmen would be nice to have in this league

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know if I agree with Kinsmen being one of the "best" fields out there. What's with the turf in the 6 yard box? Why not make the entire 18 turf? I know they want to protect that area because it's always the first to turn into mud, but come on. That's got to be a nightmare for the goalies. Maybe it's me, but I find Kinsmen somewhat small. Well atleast it's natural grass and not as bumpy as Adanac.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aside from the turf inside the 6 yard box as mentioned, the biggest problem I have with Kinsmen is that it runs DOWNHILL from the North to South!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kinsmen (or is it Kinsman?) is a quality place to play in terms of 'atmosphere', in fact I don't think anyone can come up with a better set-up in the Lower Mainland... it was even better until some knob burned it down :mad:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes it used to be quite the place Regs. And still good, but the aluminium stands are not quite like the old wooden ones that Joe Bill would charge up into and take physical action against his critics.

But I though I would throw out a few predictions just for the fun of it for this coming weekend.

Metro Ford vs Inter on the turf on Saturday: Inter by 2.

West Van vs AFC on Friday on the turf: West Van I figure.

Westside vs Indo on Friday on the turf: Tie.

Sporting vs Norvan on the turf on Friday: Sporting by 2.

Firefighters vs Delta Metro Blaze at South Memorial: Tie.

Croatia vs Surrey Utd at Adanac: Surrey cuz of the long grass.

PS I am pretty sure Kinsman slopes from East to West, not North to South. So, a word of advice, if you are on the changeroom side, always carry your pint in your right hand.

Unless of course you are in the Buffalo Club.

Seds

Sep 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
RE: Kinsman

Operative phrase being "which doesn't say much." Yes, it is sloped and has turf in the 6-yard box, which is a bitch, but don't forget the bog on the northeast side at the top of the box :p. When it get real nasty, I'd rather play on turf any day.

I too remember the days of the actual stadium, which was always a good show when you could buy beers and meet pies and watch a decent match. What other pitches out there would you rather play on? UBC is decent in the summer. Cloverdale is good, too. How is Towncentre these days? While we're on this topic, what about getting Swanguard for cup play (semis/finals)? I remember when we'd play there every year for the Coastal Premier Cups. You can't go wrong with that pitch.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd put Cloverdale Athletic as the top pitch in the VMSL, followed by Hastings Bowl.

Trintity Western has the best I've played on anywhere.

Adanac is the worst.

Reeder

Nov 10, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kinsmen (or is it Kinsman?) is a quality place to play in terms of 'atmosphere', in fact I don't think anyone can come up with a better set-up in the Lower Mainland... it was even better until some knob burned it down

I agree. Although the atmosphere is a little different when you're playing under neath the stands :) Maybe I was too young to appreciate it fully. Town Centre isn't a bad venue. If one memory sticks out in my mind it's the cup final between Peg and Powell River. Great atmosphere from what I remember.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside 1
Croatia 1

one of those games where both teams should be happy with the point, but disappointed not to have all three.
croatia was all over us in the first half. some uncharacteristic poor finishing let us off the hook. could have easily been down a few, but we got to the half at bagels.
second half was a much better effort on our part. a fantastic 25 yard free kick from dancing bear beat didar at full stretch inside the post. up 1-0 and belief that we can take the points. a few minutes later, one our young ubc kids hits a screamer of a free kick from 40 yards and rings it off the underside of the bar. would have been an unbelievable goal, but wasn't to be. we absorbed some pressure the rest of the way but seemed to be in control. heartbreak in the last minute as sulentic gets in behind and sneaks one under our oncoming keeper who played very well. gutted to lose the three points so late for the second time in three weeks, but, as stated above, we'll take the point for the effort against one of the better teams we've faced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0