Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Friendly vs. Man City

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even as a Man Utd fan, last night was great. The fans were awesome, and even according to Knights twitter he said Wright-Phillips said that Empire felt like being back in Manchester. Team 1040 has people calling in complaining about City didn't bring their "stars" these people can have felatio with a gorilla. Man City brought out a team of internationals and put on a good night. Not sure what these people want, I guess they can go see likes of Ronaldo and Messi on a regular basis and aren't happy with anything. The field was rough but you could clearly see the difference between MLS and EPL. Dzeko and Johnson flew when they were on the pitch. And yes MB10 some of those guys were massive! Wright Phillips goal was a cracker. The fact of swapping all the players is fine by me, its a friendly and getting all your players a chance to play against a team like City is understandable, especially with a big game coming up against SJ. Over all a fun night IMO, and hope we ge the opportunity to see big clubs like this every year. I also loved the southsiders "overrated chant" ;)

First of all, we should appreciate that Man City played the game. The field was horrible and it would be interesting to hear what really happened to Toure (it looked that he twisted his ankle). Again, I really do not know how many teams would play a game on a field like that one so hats down to Mancini and his team.

Secondly, Whitecaps pleasently surprised me during the first half. It is obvious that Camilo, Hassli and Rochat are really good players, there is no question about that. Yes, I do understand that it was a friendly game but these guys should have played longer; it would be much more interesting.

To those who think that Man City did not bring the best players I'd ask to name some who did not play. Forget about Tevez; he is moving to play in Brazil.
Why do I have a strange feeling that some of those who complained did not have a clue that this was Man City, not Man Utd, and that Ronaldo moved from Man Utd. I guess they expected to see Ronaldo playing for Man Utd and were upset when their favourite did not show up.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
6-1 for City.
Our lone goal being an own goal coming off a City goal kick where the goalie turns around and shoots it in is own net out of pity for us thus giving the hometown fans something to cheer about .

Kinda late, I know, but then again...
FYI, that happens, it's a corner kick for the Caps my friend, not a goal.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree RL RCD. They were in their rights to tell the Caps thanks, but no thanks. Hell, I doubt that local officials would even allow a FVSL game to be played on a surface so poor.

Thanks ManCity, pure class. That more alone may have created a fan in me. I've never liked Red jerseys anyhow.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

thx for the info.. how the hell do you know that?

would make for a good trivia question.

Very Suprised by the Level of play Whitecaps played with in the first half.. They look good on a slow nasty pitch.. If they played out of Moberly Park they 'd be undefeated..

at times in the first half the football looked like two english premier sides were playing

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First half was the most I've enjoyed watching this year (other than that first game vs TFC).

Too bad about all the subs but as mentioned, understandable.

Camillo had a flyer... he is likeable when he stays on his fcuking feet.

Hassli ran miles showing - he is quality in that respect and once the Caps get a couple of players who can figure this out and play off of him, this team will get results.

I will give a mulligan to the new guy, hopefully he was treating that as a walk in the park :)

couldn't agree more. The pitch, as has already been stated was absolutely an embarassment! it looked like someone stuck grass into the sand at jericho beach. everytime a player on either team wanted to get going a huge hunk of sod and sand turned up???

english lawns my arse!

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Has to be a re-taken goal kick.
You can only count the ball in play, after it leaves the Penalty Area.
If there was a free kick outside of the box and the defender kicks it straight into his own goal, then it would be a corner kick.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has to be a re-taken goal kick.
You can only count the ball in play, after it leaves the Penalty Area.
If there was a free kick outside of the box and the defender kicks it straight into his own goal, then it would be a corner kick.

Sorry, FIFA LOTG my Friend (excerpts below). Not common situation but it can occur and typical catch-you question for newbies. I have seen both answers around but when you see a knowlegeable ref or organization instructing new refs they make it clear that it's a corner kick. Confusion comes from ignoring that that the goal line do bound the penalty area so when the ball crosses the line it actually leaves it.

I agree that:

LAW 16 – THE GOAL KICK
Procedure
The ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area

But:

LAW 1 – THE FIELD OF PLAY
The penalty area
Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line, 16.5 m (18 yds) from the
inside of each goalpost. These lines extend into the fi eld of play for a distance
of 16.5 m (18 yds) and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line.
The area bounded by these lines and the goal line is the penalty area.

LAW 17 – THE CORNER KICK
A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal
line, either on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the
defending team, and a goal is not scored in accordance with Law 10.

LAW 10 – THE METHOD OF SCORING
A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between
the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the
Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the
goal.

LAW 16 – THE GOAL KICK
A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing
team

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Venturing way off topic here... but I'm going to agree with Tulio on the interpretation of the goal kick scenario.

The Laws of the game state that a goal kick is re-taken if it is touched before leaving the penalty area. In this case, it leaves the penalty area (crossing the goal-line) without being touched. Since the law also states that "a goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team". We then revert to the standard rules for a ball crossing the goal-line (outside of the posts), and since it last touched a defending player, a corner kick is awarded.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting to hear that all of the Man City players were wearing heart monitor holters in the 2nd half with the data being sent back to the coaches on the sidelines. I guess they were not happy with the work rate in the 1st half. Very tough for players to hide nowadays with all of the technology. Thankfully our new signing was not wearing one last night but, as Regs said, give him a mulligan.

:cool:

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, FIFA LOTG my Friend (excerpts below). Not common situation but it can occur and typical catch-you question for newbies. I have seen both answers around but when you see a knowlegeable ref or organization instructing new refs they make it clear that it's a corner kick. Confusion comes from ignoring that that the goal line do bound the penalty area so when the ball crosses the line it actually leaves it.

I agree that:

LAW 16 – THE GOAL KICK
Procedure
The ball is in play when it is kicked directly out of the penalty area

But:

LAW 1 – THE FIELD OF PLAY
The penalty area
Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line, 16.5 m (18 yds) from the
inside of each goalpost. These lines extend into the fi eld of play for a distance
of 16.5 m (18 yds) and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line.
The area bounded by these lines and the goal line is the penalty area.

LAW 17 – THE CORNER KICK
A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal
line, either on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the
defending team, and a goal is not scored in accordance with Law 10.

LAW 10 – THE METHOD OF SCORING
A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between
the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the
Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the
goal.

LAW 16 – THE GOAL KICK
A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing
team

I still think my answer is correct. You cannot score in your own goal from your own goal kick, unless the ball goes outside of the 18 yrd. box and blows back in, with wind, then it would be a corner.
Kicking it directly into the goal from a goal kick would be a restart with another goal kick.
Any Referee's want to clarify?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think refs are allowed to post on TTP, or so I've heard :rolleyes:

Speaking of refs, last night's official was shoc-king. Anyone seen him before?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I still think my answer is correct. You cannot score in your own goal from your own goal kick, unless the ball goes outside of the 18 yrd. box and blows back in, with wind, then it would be a corner.
Kicking it directly into the goal from a goal kick would be a restart with another goal kick.

I have a coed cup game tonight so I will pot one in our net off a goal kick and I'll let you know what Herb calls. That should settle any disputes.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Totally agree. How did he not deem the pitch unplayable? He should have sent both teams home after the pitch inspection.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I was waiting for that topic to pop up...

diabolical...kjohnsob and I were BBm'ing all game and were both shocked to see Mauricio give Janicki a stern talking to for a nothing little foul, then moments later Balotelli hammers Wes Knight in a completely dirty play and nothing...crickets...

:eek:

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Well, I won't argue with you.
Let's do this, next time Canada plays Brazil in a World Cup I'll try to ask the Brazilian coach to get our keeper to kick one in and we'll see what the Ref call will be. That will set the dispute. ;)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0