Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whitecaps Opener - March 19th 2011

steve a.

Not Bright
Jun 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow epic home opener what a way to start the season ;

Good suggestion by reedie we need a song that will unite the crowd as one that should be plastered on the inside cover of the next home game program or handed out instead of panchos. Next those drums were amazing bringing a party like atmosphere to the game that got you going even after the toronto goals. I think keeping those drums is the key to the atmosphere don't know if the other side of the stadium had em but it would be great for all to hear. Great way to start the season hopefully we can keep this great momentum rolling into the next game I know i'll be glued to my seat for the away game. Hope all had a good time can't wait for the rest of the games definitely a happy customer after the front of the house fiasco that was the purolator experiment. Thought Hassli looked good and Chiumento was very creative but like most have said against a very sub par toronto fc we shall see in games to come how the team develops. I nominate reedie to be in charge of organizing a song and then forward it to the caps brass ;).

cheers to all see you at the next one,

the Rattler

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would venture to say there are a helluva a lot more sophisticated fans in our town than most other MLS cities. The Caps know that and need to exploit it.
Hj

Then don't think the fans are stupid and tell us that it is a sell-out. If there was more demand for the opening game then they would have lifted the tarps.
I bet over the summer they will be lifted if they keep winning.

hard ballz

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was looking around and only saw Regs section which was 207 that had the only section with the drums. I could hear it nicely from 202. It was a very lively atmosphere and a lot better than the Canuck's game's. Hopefully, people give this a chance and jump on the bandwagon and see where the ride takes us.

Hardballzalsonominatesreedie

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
but it would be amazing to see the entire crowd sing a song together, other than Oh Canada. Here is my suggestion: "Oh when the Caps, go marching in, Oh when the caps go marching in...Oh Lord I want to be in that number, when the caps go marching in....and so on". It can be sung at various times during the game and it can be sung at varying speeds, with or without clapping, as they do in England. Somebody needs to organize this. :cool:

How about chanting "so and so (insert other teams' name) sucks, so and so sucks, so and so sucks!!!! I don't recall that ever being done :rolleyes:

At the match yesterday, also in the beautiful people section of 207 :cool:. As has been mentioned, it was a terrific atmosphere but the beer lineups are atrocious. If you wait for the halftime whistle, good luck getting a pint before the second half starts. With alot of Saturday afternoon games on the schedule and alot of familiar faces in the crowd, there will be a real party atmosphere as the weather heats up. Might have to hit the gym as I might have the shirt off on the sunny side of the stadium :rolleyes:

As WAB mentioned, the Grizzlies won their first home opener in the last seconds of overtime. I was there and thought it was pretty awesome and exciting. They then lost 18 or 20 in a row. Hopefully things will be better with the Caps!!

SF

Team Canada

Mar 19, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll echo what everyone else is saying... fantastic atmosphere, and you really couldn't have asked for a better way to kick things off: Lots of action, Toronto getting thumped, the guys you wanted to see shine, did. And aside from the game itself, having great weather and enjoying the view from the south end of the field was pretty spectacular.

It was also nice to see how many typically non-soccer fans were getting into everything as well. I was at the grocery store after the game and had my Caps jersey on still, and had 4 people (young and old) in a span of about 10 minutes ask me how the game was, and they seemed genuinely excited about it.

Yeah, they were able to take advantage of a shockingly bad TFC back line so I'm still not sure what to expect going forward, but I'm still pretty geared up for it!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For some reason an American station here in Palm Springs picked up the TSN feed even though it was 2 Canadian teams. Was great to watch!

No idea who the announcers were but one of them called Chumiento "The Magician" and it was pretty fitting I thought. Played some great balls and everyone looked sharp. Nobody really stuckout as undeserving of being out there.

Heres hoping they don't go the way of the Grizzlies.

23000+ fans seemed to like it yesterday.

Did anyone have issues with there transfer of seats to Empire from where they bought at BC Place?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
very nostalgic for some of us older ttper's. an absolutely fantastic atmosphere the whole way through. I was in section 227, great seats and a huge group of TFC fans to take the piss out of in 228. ran into lots of fitba friends....can hardly wait for April 2....plenty of spots to hook up pregame on the North side of Empire..

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few things:

Not opening gates until 1 hour prior to kickoff = BAD
Beer lineups = BAD
TFC = Really BAD ;)

Everything else was first rate. The atmosphere was increadible. Our seats in section 209 allowed us to have the samba going without it being right in your ear. Also ran into a ton of people. You can include me in that group that Reedie affectionately labelled, the more sophisticated fan that had abandoned the Swangard years. I didn't think the day would live up to the hype, but it did!!!

Agree with the song thing. Get it going!!

PS. Demerit is a fcuking stud centreback, and Chiumento was the best player on the field in the first half. Adrian Cann is horrendous!!! :eek:

"Oh when the Caps, go marching in........."

:bronco:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
One correction Bronco, Adrian Caan is a horrendous fullback, as a centre back he's VERY good.

Aron Winter is the reason TFC is going to struggle, as reedie said: Trying to get a total football system going with the plugs that fill most of the lineups in this league is a recipe for disaster.

If there were 9 other guys as skilled as Maicon Santos and Dwayne DeRosario on the park for TFC they might be able to do it, but TFC Just signed that Soolsma kid from the 4th tier of the Dutch leagues....

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was sitting sitting in front of the TFC supporters and full credit to them they sang right till the end. We did give some of it back to them, mostly just comments with some whitecaps cheers and of course the always popular whats the score? chant. Hard to compete with songs when they have been together for 4 years and it's our first game. I did have fun giving the gears to two lone birds in front of me who were TFC supporters just outside their group. I always say pick on the weak straglers outside the herd to make yourself feel better. Over all it was a blast and I hope our section gets it together before Seattle comes to town with their 500 supporters instead of 50 or 60 TFC supporters.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has anyone seen the douchy game day official that issued Dunfield that yellow for excessive celebration? What does said douchy official have to say for himself?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't believe Paul has a TTP account... maybe Walks can ask him for you :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear that Paul Ward was kinda like Spiderman- a super hero with an unofficial Peter Parker like spokesperson in Walks.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think I might be the only one with a moan from Saturday. Somehow I'm surrounded by a bunch of drunk, ignorant, wanna-be brits, who think it's really cool to stand for every minute of the match, and like to scream-sing at the top of their lungs while sadly not even being in unison. :mad:

Yes, that's right I am in Southsider central even though I picked seats at BC Place which would be at the opposite corner from them. The current Caps website even lists the support sections as 216-222 on the single match tickets page.

I've phoned the Caps to ask for a seat switch and was told they would see what they could, but options are limited as they are nearly sold out. If that fails, then I'll be the guy in section 214 blowing my vuvuzela for 90 minutes straight.

I should say that everything other than the morons in my section was top class. So well done Caps.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
didn't you see Teitur break the vuvzlea over his knee?

Vuvzela's are not permitted ;)

also, Roberto at the Caps FO has been really good stepping in and relocating folks that are unhappy with their surroundings... some folks were unhappy about the full 90 minutes stand and have been moved to the north end, and some folks at the northend that were told to sit down all game have been moved to the southend...

basicaly it's expected (ticket fine print be damned) that from corner flag to corner flag of the southend the entire area will be a full 90 stand/sing/chant/drunkenness and stupor.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0