Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WorldCup 2002 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
excellent

Thanks Cside,

Whomever was saying that Gerrard's goal was a cracker from 35 is full of it :D

It was good but only from about 25.

~TB.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just for you, CD

From sporting-life.com:

ELLIOTT UNHAPPY WITH CROATIAN DIVERS

Scotland defender Matt Elliott has accused several Croatian players of diving during Saturday's goalless World Cup qualifying draw at Hampden Park.

The Leicester City star admitted to being frustrated by the cheating tactics of their opponents which could have hit Scotland's bid to reach the finals in Japan and South Korea.

Mario Stanic even tried to win his side a penalty in the second half after throwing himself to the ground following a challenge from Everton defender David Weir.

But Slovakian referee Lubos Michel was not to be fooled and he booked the Chelsea frontman for diving.

Elliott admitted that Scotland had to be more careful when tackling the Croats, but was quick to praise the official.

The former Celtic target said: "Particularly early on there was one or two exaggerations to say the least.

"Mario Stanic got booked for going down in the box and the referee did well, but this is just to be expected.

"The slightest touch and they were falling over so we had to be wary of that.

"Stanic dived a lot, like one, two or three of them, but that's part and parcel of the game really."

Scotland's hopes of making next year's World Cup finals are still hanging in the balance with two games remaining.

They are level on points with Croatia, but travel to Brussels tomorrow two points behind Group Six leaders Belgium.

The Belgians, not having played at the weekend, will also be fresher than the Scots - but Elliott insists they will be ready.

The Filbert Street favourite added: "We had to roll our socks up against them (Croatia) and we found it hard to get the ball off them and get behind them.

"They kept ball very well and the lads had to do a lot of chasing and were feeling the pace a little bit at the end.

"But come Wednesday, after three or four days rest, everybody will be fired up again because games don't come much bigger than this with qualification at stake and two games to go."

But Elliott admits he and his team-mates are still haunted by Belgium's last-minute equaliser at Hampden Park.

In May, Scotland threw away a two-goal lead in Glasgow against 10-men and the players have tried to forget the memory ever since.

But Craig Brown's side now want to set the record straight and secure the three points that could give them the ticket to the World Cup finals.

Elliott said: "Yes, it's difficult not to see that goal, that's all we've heard ever since that second goal went in.

"We still feel the pain of it now and felt it in the build up to this game.

"We do think what could have happened with two more points in the bag and it does still sticks in the throat.

"But we have to be reasonably happy with a draw from this game and try to win against Belgium. There's still plenty to play for and we'll keep going."

Elliott admitted he was shocked to see Rangers' out-of-favour striker Billy Dodds on the bench for Saturday's match.

But he believes that the former Dundee United and Aberdeen marksman is the player who can score the goals in Brussels.

Elliott revealed: "I was personally surprised Dodds didn't play because he's certainly got a nack for goalscoring.

"Hopefully he'll make up for it on Wednesday night. He's been looking good and he's got the confidence.

"It's not all doom and gloom and we're still in with a shout and hopefully Billy will respond.

"He should play on Wednesday because he always has that nack and unnerves teams because he's a busy player.

"He is sharp, got a good touch and he gets himself into the danger areas and hopefully he will be the difference on Wednesday."

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hard to blame Elliott for being bitter. He was made to look like quite the fool on several occassions during the game.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More accurate

Sensei,

This little article will give you as close to an accurate account of the game that I've seen on any of the sports interenet sites.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 1 September, 2001, 17:51 GMT 18:51 UK
Scotland breathe again

Dodds and Hutchison troop off after the goalless draw
BBC Scotland football pundit Chick Young admits Scotland were lucky to come away with a point against Croatia but feels our World Cup hopes are still alive.
Funny thing, but I haven't been to a barbecue all summer.

However, for half-an-hour at Hampden on Saturday I felt like I was attending one.

Scotland were on the spit-roast as Croatia tore them apart and gave them a general grilling.

There could be no doubt that this was the Croatia of three years ago - teasing and tormenting, showing their fabulous ball skills and craft.

Scotland looked like sad plodders alongside them.

I feel we have better players than Belgium which was never going to be the case against Croatia

Chick Young
It was X-certificate viewing and I really felt that the first goal was going to come for the Croatians and I wondered what the Scots were doing in the same movie.
As it turned out, we might have stoled the points which, to be honest, would have been the biggest burglary since Ronnie Biggs and company perpetrated the Great Train Robbery.

At the end of it all, there is just one question that matters - what happens next?

Basically, if we cannot take the three points in the King Bedouin stadium in Brussels on Wednesday night, then the World Cup party is over and we can make our arrangements for next summer by filling the fridge with beer and buying a new telly.

As it happens, I said before a ball was kicked that I was much more worried about the Croatians than the Belgians in Brussels.

I feel we have better players than Belgium which was never going to be the case with the team from the Balkan States.

The arena in Brussels has the same flaw as Hampden in as much as it is not intimidating in the way that Celtic Park is for example.

I do believe that Belgium, like Scotland, are at their best away from home, which may well leave the door open for us.

Midway through the first half at Hampden on Saturday, I thought we were lost at sea, in danger of drowning in the World Cup ocean.

But strangely enough, we may yet survive - all we have to do is beat the Belgians and then beat Latvia at home to be assured of second place...and that is not beyond us.

Let's be honest, Scotland are lacking in superstars at international level and when you see Croatia play, we know we cannot match them for quality.

But as ever with Scotland there will be another twist along the way and I believe that Japan and South Korea could still be a reality for us.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
World Cup 2002 - up for grabs?

These shock results are making it look increasingly likely that next year's WC will be totally up for grabs.

If Holland, Brazil, and possibly Germany are all eliminated in qualifying, it will make for a very interesting tournament indeed, in terms of possibly having an entirely different look in the final four and final itself.

Keeper is right, Germany were absolute cack on Saturday. I'm not wanting to take anything away from England, but once they equalized, the Germans seemed very lacklustre.

England were absolutely superb though. I've never seen them play that well. The only game that comes close is the 4-1 win over Holland at Euro 96.

CDK, aren't you getting a little excited about a shite result against the Scots?

Daz :p

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excited?

Dazza,

I was utterly disgusted with the Croat preformance on Saturday. After their onslaught in the first 20 min. they were doing nothing except playing a midfield posseion game with Prosinecki and Jarni doing a little show boating.

Mind numbing is the only way to descibe that game.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
England were absolutely superb though.
I disagree. Their defense was almost as shocking as Germany's in the first half. The only reason they managed to tighten up back there in the second was because they could afford to pack their box once they secured the 2 goal lead.

Granted, they deserve to advance, however they'll have to do better if they want to advance past the first round.

France's odds on winning it all are quickly shrinking.

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oops

I don't know how, but I completely forgot about France.

I guess I should have said that the runners-up spot is up for grabs:)

England weren't in it for the first 20 minutes but after that defended well in numbers, Keeper.

What has happened to Oliver Khan? He looked slow on a few of the goals and also looked off in the Super Cup.

Daz

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I don't know about the SuperCup, but you're right. He didn't look his usual self, did he? He didn't react well to Gerrad's goal, and he looked like Coco the Monkey on Owen's first. Owen's second & third as well as Hesky's, he had no chance on.

After France, the only European teams I'd bet on would be Italy and Spain.

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do agree with you Keeper the english did look bad in the back line in the first half. But they (ENGLISH) did look dangerous all game going forward.:D :p

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Liverpool 5-Germany1

Animal, when u have such a great tandem of owen and heskey,with gerrad in the middle, u are sure to win.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
hype....

For a country that likes to pretend it's got the best keeper in the world, old Oliver certainly proved on the weekend that he Kahn't. Just as he did against Liverpool a week earlier. Seaman surprised me as he's never been a keeper I rate but his save at 1-1 was the turning point. And since he's the only member of the squad older than 27, it must be said the future looks good for England. Shame about the krauts, though, such lovely people really do deserve so much better from their national side.

Of course I'm convinced Albania will stuff England at St. Jame's Park on Wednesday and, followed by a loss to Greece, Finland will win the automatic World Cup berth.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Austrailia - World Beaters

Austrailia won the Oceanic Conference and will play the 5th place team from South America, probably Uraguay or Columbia, to qualify for the World Cup. Brazil is in.....almost.
Australia beat American Somoa (ranked 203rd in the world) 31-0 and Tonga (ranked 201) 22-0! In a total of 6 games, Australia was 6 - 0, 72 GF, 1 GA. Some stiff competition down under.

BTW-Italy is through

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blushing

Shame about the krauts, though, such lovely people really do deserve so much better from their national side.
Aaauuuhhh. I never knew you cared so much. You're so sweet. :eek:

KeeperwhothoughtFastshowwantedtostirthepotmoreoften.

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ENGLAND 2 ALBANIA 0

Fowler got the second in the last couple minutes. England just toyed with them for a while befor finishing them off.:eek: :D

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One win away

Croatia 4
San Marino 0

Two goals from the chain smokin magician...lots and lots of blown opportunities....we'll take it.

1. Belgija 7 5 2 0 25:5 17
2. Hrvatska 7 4 3 0 14:2 15
3. Škotska 7 3 3 1 10:5 12
4. Latvija 7 1 1 5 4:14 4
5. San Marino 8 0 1 7 3:30 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money