Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

WorldCup 2002 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aye Carumba

Belgium 2-0 Scotland
The Scots sent everyone bar Sullivan upfield for a stoppage time free-kick and were caught on the break for the second, with Goor despatching the ball past the exposed goalkeeper.
Ee-gads! You Scotsmen are conspicuously quiet this afternoon.

Keeperwho'srootingfortheScots

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sweden Through.....

Sweden beat Turkey 2-1 after dramatic late goals by Henrik Larsson and Andreas Andersson here on Wednesday to qualify for the 2002 World Cup finals in Japan and South Korea.

Sweden, who play Azerbaijan in their last game on October 7, are now assured of winning Europe Group Four winners.

Hakan Sukur, known as the Bull of the Bosphorous, put the home side ahead on 51 minutes and Turkey looked to be heading for victory before Larsson and Andersson snatched victory with 88th and 90th minute goals.

The Scandinavians are the 11th country to ensure their berth. They join champions France, hosts South Korea and Japan, Argentina, Poland and the five African qualifiers Nigeria, Senegal, Tunisia, Cameroon and South Africa.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
crackers...

Dunno if any of you were able to see them but England's goals were top quality last night. Albania did what everyone thought they would and defended in numbers and kicked lumps out of Beckham the whole time but to no avail. England's captain was brilliant again last night. Albania were a far better and more organised side than the pitiful sausage-botherers last Saturday night who only just beat the Albanians in the last minute when they played them. Based on yesterday's results, the krauts had better watch out for Finland though the game is rather meaningless and I don't fancy their chances in a playoff particularly against the Ukraine. Though there's never a good time to be German, this particular time in their history must surely rank as a new and unprecedented low. Pity.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
top draw

Yes Fastshow,

I agree. Also another player who had 2 excellant 90 minute games was Gary Neville. He showed his experience and even some fancy footwork. He worked hard in defense but was critical to the captains offense who made plays in getting the goals. He was a good all round player.

It was good to see England play there game even when the Albanian squad were intent in not making it easy. England went out and won the game. They peservered, even through Tiredness and bad decisions, Ashley Cole and Steve Macca respectively; were still rewarded with great skill, patience by Fowler. Super Goal!:D

The whole team again played and won as a team. It was like watching a real football match. What looked good on paper looked good on the pitch.

Old Trafford awaits the travelling Young Guns of Football, England.
laters...

hedKandi

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hekandi,

Did you see the game? I'm not saying England didn't deserve it but they were giving the ball away in their own half of the field and were fortunate not to let one in.

Owen's goal was a defensive gaffe (why didn't that deep defender just pick him up instead of running past him?) and Fowler's late goal was nice but on the whole I thought Albania were going to bag one to tie it up...hardly a convincing victory.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not Convinced!

Peter,

I did see the game, Convincing - NO, a win none the less.
Owen's goal was a defensive gaffe (why didn't that deep defender just pick him instead of running past him?)

Now why didn't the defender JUST pick Owen up. In Hindsight I'm sure every defender has that thought that, hell even I do. Owen right now is a Cheetah in pursuit of prey. He is sharp, quick and his work rate is getting the pay-offs you would expect for a striker.

As for defensive gaffs the same could be said for the German Goal, the equalizer, the goal to make it 3-1 and a few others. Plus a whole shwack of goals week in, week out, across the football pitches of the world!

It was not going to be the same game as it was against The Germans and yes I thought Albania were going to tie it up and feck it up for the English who at times in the 2nd half looked out worked.
Ashley Cole's pass, Macca's great clearing header (Jeez!), attacking break downs in Albania third of the park did no wonders for my foot manicure!

I had bitten off my finger nails while watching the Germans:rolleyes:

Winners is for Grinners:D

hedKandi

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From Soccernet.com

Belgium meet Croatia to decide who wins the group. Scotland can still finish second, and the runners-up meet Denmark, Czech Republic or Bulgaria in a play-off.
If Belgium defeats Croatia and Scotland beat Latvia, Scotland and Croatia are tied on points. What is the tie-breaking procedure? Does Scotland need to improve their goal-difference or what? What must happen for Scotland to finish second?

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Maybe England don't have it so bad after all.....

And I thought missing Owen was bad.....from sporting-life.com

Four regulars out of Germany's lineup....

Germany coach Rudi Voller will be without four key players for their crunch World Cup qualifier against Finland on October 6.

Dietmar Hamann, Thomas Linke, Mehmet Scholl and Alexander Zickler were all missing when Voller named his 20-man squad.

Liverpool's Hamann is suspended after picking up a yellow card in the 5-1 hammering by England earlier this month.

The Bayern Munich trio of Thomas Linke, Mehmet Scholl and Alexander Zickler are all absent through injury.

Midfielders Berndt Schneider and Lars Ricken have been brought back into the fold as cover for Hamann and Scholl for the match in Gelsenkirchen.

Germany are level on points with England, who occupy top spot because of a far superior goal difference.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's men face Greece at Old Trafford on the same day.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Belgium/Croatia/Scotland

It's going to be interesting to see what happens tommorow.

Scotland must win by more than 7 goals and have croatia lose. But Croatia won't lose! well they better not!

Croatia 3 Belgium 1
Boksic scores 2 Vlaovic 1

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PM's

BJB,

Answer your private messages that I sent you.

BTW, I have to agree with your prediction.:cool:

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You guys sound unsure.

Prosinecki suffers a stroke at half time tomorrow but no one notices. Jarni commits to his new club side Sportstownska and pulls out of the match.

Croatia lose 3-0 to the Brussel Sprouts in Zagreb.

Scotland are beating Latvia 7-0 with one minute to go when Steven Pressley directs a simple back pass into his own net to send Croatia through to the next qualifying play off,.....

...in which they lose to Stilian Petrov's Bulgaria.

Ah well.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ha! (pause), Ha, Ha....

#1- Prosinecki laughs in the face of death. He is a Ghod...who smokes 30 Marlboro a day.

#2- Croatia have never lost a competetive match in Zagreb....or in Croatia for that matter...I think?

#3- Scotland's current line-up will be lucky to get 1 against Latvia. Pressley scoring on his own net is possable.

#4- Stilian Petrov is a very good player and I'm betting on Bulgaria to win today. They will also beat Belgium in the WC playoff.

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KING DAVID

I don't know who saw the England - Greece game today, but what a finish. A 2-2 draw saw England through to the finals as Germany tied Finland 0-0.

England were complete shite for the first half as they went into the break, down a goal. On the goal Ashley Cole was made to look like a complete donkey as he jumped into a tackle and was megged on his way to the ground. The player took the ball to the line put it across, Ferdinand got a toe on it and the Greek lad hit the ball first time into ther bottom corner.

Second half England came out gunning for a goal nothing came of it. About 25 to go Beckham has a freekick on the left side. As Sherringham runs on the pitch he goes to the front post and flicks one passed the keeper (not a bad first touch). As we're all still celebrating Ferdinand gets the wrong side of the player, 2-1 for Greece. At this point Erickson is thinking about taking the other 10 players off and letting Beckham try it himself ( I thinck Becks touched every blade of grass today). With 2-1/2 mins. into the 4 mins. added time Becks gets the ball center of the net 30 yards out beats one player spins around the next and is taken down 22 yards out. Germany game ends nil-nil, Germans await will they be through. Becks then steps up and pots it, If you give him enough goes at it he is bound to hit one. England are through, Germany has to wait for another day.

All in all the game was shite, but the result was enough to mack me happy for the day.

Becks was the man of the match, Greek keeper played very well as well.

Scholes and Gerrard were the terrible, as was Ashley Cole.

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Barmby was even worse...

Animal,

Good summary of what was a shocking game. I would put Barmby in the shite catagory too. The BBC site only gave Martyn 6/10. I thourght he was the only other England player who could hold his head high. No chance on the 2 goals and a couple of great saves to keep us in it.

Englands 'pub league tactics of booting the thing up the middle at every chance were a complete disgrace.

heskey did ok in the 2nd half in the left midfield spot.

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
England Shite

The england squad who played today ,for most of them they where shite, there passing was shocking for a team who should have had no problem winning the group , especialy with the players they have, if beckham had hit that last free kick just like every other one he had,england would be in tears.Why don't england mix up their free kicks instead of having spice boy trying to hit the net, i think martyn done really well, the back four where made to look slow and uninterested in tackling , just like most of the english players.I don't know why barmby got on the pitch, and the same goes for scholes, Sven has players , playing who can't even get on with their own club team, i think this should be a wake up call for england , if they play like this they won't last longer come 2002.

icantbelieveigotuptowatchthat.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Croatia Thru.........

Celebration in Zagreb and all of Croatia today as Middlesborough striker Alen Boksic netted the winning goal in the 76th min. This game should have been 4,5-0. But Croatia was unable to take chances and bury them. Prosinecki hit crossbar on penalty, but what was interesting the goalie came out a good 6 feet during the shot, is this allowed?? But boksic came through once again like he did in Ukraine before WC98 to get Croatia into the WC98.

Looks promising for the Croats! Can we repeat WC98 I hope so!

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time for the Scots to congratulate us Croats here on TTP

Croatia 1 - 0 Belgium

The goal came in the 75th minute when Prosinecki took the ball out on the wing, he turned to the TV cameras, winked, and said "watch this". He sent a 40 yard inch perfect pass to an on-running Balaban who sped past his Belgian marker. In the mean time Prosinecki lit-up a Marlboro and waved to the crowd...at the same time Boksic who realized what was about to happen told his two Belgian markers "this is it, get ready" then dropped and did 5 push-ups at the top of penalty area.

By this time Balaban's marker had climbed up on his back and wrapped his arms and legs around him while Balaban was taking the ball down to the near corner of the post. Boksic got up from doing his push-ups and made his way to the top of the 6 yard box. Balaban, who's ear was being bitten by the Belgian on his back, looked up to see where Boksic was, adjusted his salami to make room for his right peg and sent a low pass back to Boksic, who already had his hand in the air, and he cooly finished past a hopeless Belgian goal keeper. Euphoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0