Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So 55K for the opener? Cool!

Oh wait... this is Vancouver.

Sunday's match between Kaka & Villa with 60K is impressive.

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
So 36% sold out!!! Hate to open up more seats because everyone hates more revenue. But who wouldn't be happy making 1/3 of the income you could make?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually I would add Morales in there too, he was mince today.

Such a promising start, don't know what was said at the half but whatever it was... don't fcuking say it again because that was shite in the second.

Too bad we were Harvey'd for the winning goal, that was a metro selects league move on his part turning to the lino with his hand up as the play was breaking :mad:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would argue the Caps have some of the same fundamental issues as last season. In Laba we have a completely defensive minded player, breaks up the play and works his bag off, great in his role. Now your other holder or box to box midfielder needs to connect the play and be thinking go forward first and sideways or backwards if nothing is available forward. For me Tiebert is not that, he is a busy body, yes I think he works really hard and gets about the pitch and has shown massive improvement. However I'm not sure he has that natural class and vision needed to pick a pass and open up the field. But maybe I would argue he could improve and grow into it like hendo at Liverpool( obviously not at an EPL level but MLS level). Right now he isn't that and maybe Koffie isn't either. I'd ponder putting a Morales as a sprayer in a deeper role but then he has to contribute defensively and can he actually be relied on. That would allow Mezquida(sp) to play as an attacking mid. Personally not sold on the mix that started today.

At centerback I'm still not overly impressed. Physical, yes but I thought we were talking of the modern day centerback who has actually ability on the ball. I'm not impressed with much other then their ability in the air. Harvey don't get me started. and we just seem young and immature going forward sometimes, especially our depth off the bench as its just young speed.

I'm not off the wagon or anything and believe we will have a successful season but feel we could use one of our center mid pieces to address our need of a top class wing back or a top end winger. Really Rosales is a high mid playing on the right. So we have (Morales, Rosales, Laba, Mezquida, Tiebert and Koffie). All good players but all naturally through the middle. Maybe I would rather see Tiebert at left back for Harvey. Still missing some pieces.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bulljive they lost the game in the middle of the Park. TFC head way more grind to their game. Caps stood and watched TFC moved the ball. You are right they are not so skilled in the back. But I have bigger concern, in my opinion they are not fast enough east west in the back.
Hurtado head to be in the first half to tire out TFC mids. Coach is young he is trying yet. I think soon he will bring the hard nose guys in first. Skill is good but it's more about hart and wanting to work you ars off. That part was lacking in the Caps game.
As older Irish man used to say sand the dam ball to top guys and let them play with it.
Playing with it in the back normally cost you a goal or two.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whitecaps lost the game because of the two huge mistakes made by Harvey (the first one when he was not paying attention to his two central defencemen, stayed at the back and left Altidore in an on-side position and the second one when we was jogging back, then stupidly slowed down to signal to the linesman offside which, by the way, did not exist, ended up on the wrong side of the forward, and the ball was in the net).

Kah better than I expected. Waston was his usual himself (in short, a beast). Laba made unusual number of mistakes (apparently he was injured recently if we can believe those commentators) but his job will not be easy in Whitecaps uniform as long as his other "defensive" midfielder is everywhere but not at the position he should be playing (cannot deny Teibert that he works hard but, man, that guy either has no clue what a positional play is or he thinks he is a big shot and he can do whatever he wants). Let me ask all of you knowledgeable soccer guys here some very simple questions:

1) How many times Tiebert was closer to the Toronto's goal than any of his offensive midfielders? The answer is: numerous times!
2) Is it logical to have a guy in the team who obviously continues doing the same stupid things he was doing last year?

I agree that Teibert should be tested as a left back (but, for whatever reason, I think he still would be running everywhere so not sure if the change would do any good).

Rosales was really, really god first half. I am losing a patience with Manneh (pardon Kekuta now) although he did make a couple of nice crosses/passes to Rivero. But, what can we say about a guy who plays in MLS and continues to forget where the hell the ball is when he tries to dribble. Whitecaps II team has some better players than Kekuta, Hurtado, and Mattocks so hopefully somebody will have balls to see that and do something about it.
Morales was not at his best but we cannot deny some great long passes (and if they resulted in a goal or two we would be talking in superlatives about Morales today).

What a difference watching how Rivero moves on the field and gets open (compared to Kekuta, Hurtado, and Mattocks who can only run in a straight line and simply do not know any better). Too bad Rivero missed that great opportunity.

Carl Robinson is a big liability, in my opinion. He is not MLS caliber coach.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like you, I liked what I saw from our 2 centerbacks... I think I must be on a different planet or something because I'm not seeing all the criticism being handed out to Kah since the game?

It was him who picked out Rivero for the opening goal.

Agreed also on Rosales in the first half - he is a gem of a player.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will try and avoid pointing out the obvious obsessive tendencies and take you as your word as being unbiased. So, assuming no pre-existing obsessive tendencies about certain players (named Russel Tiebert), and also considering I was doing my best to watch this match from the Longhorn patio, where our group somehow managed to ring up the single largest tab of the weekend (kid you not, the group was pretty big, though) here are my thoughts…

1. Agree on pretty much everything said about RT on the game. I also agree I’d love to see him at LB, but only after some time in WC2 colors, to get some time working on that position, working on the basics of staying in position, staying with your man, and attacking at appropriate times. I think he has some string attributes to make him a useful player in MLS, but maybe miscast right now.

2. I liked the CB combo this weekend, but both are prone to one big mistake a game, or an untimely foul, or a few too many cards. I’d like to see a more skilled CB in that spot, was really hoping they’d keep and develop Jonny Leveron, myself. Love Waston, so, that leaves Kah out, and ? (nobody else seems ready, so maybe Parker, let him play into MLS speed) in. Kah should be the back-up to Waston, not starting alongside him.

3. Totally agree on Rosales, and he needs to be used for 45-60 minutes per match…either coming in late, or starting. Only his miles limit him from being good for 90.

4. Missed the Harvey mistakes (blame the buckets of Coronas, or the massage girls, or the shots, or….), but have heard about them. Time to give a younger pair of legs a start. Don’t wait it out, get Sam in there, while he’s still sharp from per-season.

5. Kekuta: I have a crush on him and want him there long term. Who’s a better or more dangerous option on WC2? Seriously, I want to know…

6. Coach Carl: love his philosophies, love his passion, love a lot of things. Big issue is he’s not a good chess player, and is exposed far too often. I hope he can improve on his match decisions, as a manager switch again will set this franchise back to day 1.

Very disappointing start to the season…

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding CB's, I fully expect that Rodriguez will be the more skilled option that will emerge to pair with Waston. Unfortunately he came into camp a little out of shape, so it might take a few weeks still before he can get into the XI. Hopefully there aren't too many Kah pks/cards in the meantime.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Question:

What is involved in WCFC sending a roster player to WC2? Simple loan deal, or is there more to it than that?

If that is the case, would it not make sense to send Rodriguez to UBC for some matches?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well the first WFC2 match is not until the end of the month, so 1st team training is probably the best thing for him at the moment.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
~

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well the first WFC2 match is not until the end of the month, so 1st team training is probably the best thing for him at the moment.

Think they have a friendly vs UBC tonight…free admission.

I think our 2 CB's are a bit too one-dimensional. Great in the air and physical but are weak technically and are likely to cost us from time to time against skill and pace. I noticed the team did not play through the middle backs all game. It's not like O'Brien and Jay were overly skilled either so it's kind of a wash but it sure would be nice to see a gifted CB back there.

Also of note from that game - Michael Bradley took over the second half and everything went through him and I didn't count one mistake. The little Italian is brilliant and his pace with the ball on his foot was unbelievable. He seemed to get faster when he had the ball which is ridiculous. He pulled away from the topknot do-nothing at one point in the first half like he was standing still.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bradley and Giovinco vs. Teibert.... I may be obsessed but at this point its completely healthy - the Caps get killed through the middle because he's everywhere but there... as for Harvey, I'd like to shake his agent's hand for getting him 135k or whatever it is he's on... Brilliant chicanery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0