Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So with these signings and guys we let go, did we really get better? Or does it just look that way on paper?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude has it right. These guys have been drinking the medicine provided by the so called experts and local media. Stop reading the local rags, get stuck in annd bring back a fcukin result!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I may have posted this elsewhere....
:rolleyes:

I get the desire to have Morales on the pitch...his overall quality is undeniable. That said, he is a bit of a square peg in a round hole.

Everyone loves Laba- count me as one- but the insistence on having him on the pitch means we have a massive hole going forward. Weather Morales is playing deep or high, we have a hole because of Laba's inability / insistence on not getting forward and playing box-to-box.

I loved Gershon Koffie as a player, but I was also one who supported moving him because his salary was high (casualty of the league), and he'd become redundant in our system. That said, if you are going to stick with this formation, and you are going to insist on having Laba, you MUST insert Nico Mezquida into that box-to-box role. Ahead of Ferose, and CERTAINLY ahead of Flores (WTF, still shaking my head at that one).

Again, tactics. How does it happen that Nico, after the proven success he showed last season, drops so far down the depth chart?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude I thought I read that somewhere. I'm pretty busy so please choose one site to post in so I don't have to read things twice.

I hope we have seen the last of Flores and Smith I didn't like what I saw last year but was willing to give them another chance to prove me wrong, they both played even worse then I remembered. Aird for me looks okay on the ball but he just seems clueless defending. I was saying last week to the Rangers supporters who sit next to me that it is difficult for him to defend with his knuckles dragging on the turf. The midfield needs a true box to box player or someone who has a tendency to stay further up the field because Rivero is left by himself up top. Laba is fine if not better by himself. Look at the difference with the way Sporting pressured our back line and the amount of time their back.line had on the ball.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is how it works: I like discussion. If there is no discussion, it means I need to go somewhere there is some. That said, I'm taking a new approach, sharing thoughts in different forums, because I am an equal opportunity poster. Besides, I like TTP discussion better. It's more intelligent, and less jock-sniffy. It just needs to be less of a Dear Diary situation.

We have a big hole in the middle. The more I think about Lion's post, the more I agree. That said, back to Morales' quality...it's undeniable that he is the most talented player we have, and we need to find a way to use him.

What the fcuk did Nico Mezquida do to fall so far out of favor w/ the boss? He wants to support young players? Great. Place them where they can develop, that is what the USL squad is for. Nico must be fully baffled in camp right now, because he has two guys that aren't even close to his savvy and ability taking his minutes.

My feeling is that given time, and not much of it required, Aird will grow into the role. But now the heat is on, there is NO more time. His next start is critical for him...he'll need top show defensive competency, plus show his ability to overlap and contribute to the attack. Beitashour's boots are tough to fill, no doubt.

I think if it were me, my line-up would look like this next week:

Ousted
Aird Watson Parker Harvey
Bolanos Morales Laba Tetchera
Rivero Kudo

Let Morales play in that deep lying role he loves, play Rivero sitting back some as your target man, and bring in Kudo to do what he was brought in for- to finish.

Everyone goes on and on about pre-season...who the fcuk cares? Who cares if they won, and who cares if Kudo looked like shite? It's pre-season, it's only meant to prepare players for the regular season, and to evaluate your bubble players.

My only hesitation on my line-up would be at fullback, as the conservative side of me wants Harvey moved over, and Sam brought in...but honestly, I don't know that you actually gain anything defensively, there. May as well let Aird work his way through it, and Sam win the spot back properly, not through right side deficiencies.

Last edited:

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Dude and friends,

So a flat 4-4-1-1 I guess? With Riveiro playing a little deeper? I like it, and think that has to be the next look.

My main thing is, I don't believe Morales and Laba can do it in a 4-4-2. yes they compliment each other, but they are not balanced players. We need a 3rd player in there, that is balanced and is box to box. Laba nor Morales is box to box.

Morales is our most skilled players, agreed. Laba is our best ball winning, holding mid, agreed. But in a way they hand cuff the team.

I feel Morales can ONLY play the 10 spot. He doesn't have the legs to grind and chase guys in a holder roll. So Morales hand cuffs the team. Yes you want him on the pitch,.. but then need to build around him in that 10 spot.

Next step is for sure to have him beside Laba and him split our D and get on the ball and be the team quarter back, cause its not like we play through Laba anyways.

How I see it is same issues with Pirlo. yes he is one of the best in the world and a great QB in there.. When you have the ball he is magic.. but when you don't have the ball, Pirlo isn't grinding, winning balls, headers, up and down the park.. so Pirlo FORCES the coach to play a 3 man middle. With Juve, Italy, even NYC now.
You need 2 box to box guys with Pirlo to balance the middle. (Marchisio and Pogba) (Vidal even)
(Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka) a balanced middle 3.... (so dreamy those Old Milan days)

Or with Italy, he had De Rossi and marchisio protect him, they did the running and shut down play, win the ball, and play through pirlo.
Marchisio was box to box, De Rossi the lynch man, shutting teams down laba style and Pirlo the link up man.

Morales is our link up man... De rossi is Laba--- WHO THE HELL IS Marchisio?

Sorry for all the Ital soccer reference... but Morales is a poor mans Pirlo. - he does not push it buy guys at pace.. he is a passer.. plain and simple.

Pirlo CAN NOT run a 4-4-2 midfield for as good as he is.. he just does not track up and down the park and shut down space with pace.. he needs a 3 man middle.

Right now we just don't have the balance.. That 3rd piece needs to bring it, and our team is fine.
Koffie did it pretty well. And I'm thinking this new guy that lead his team in minutes last year is going to bring it. I'm sure thats why they got him. Robo must be seeing the same.

But with what we have... (Blas can be the big target man, he doesn't need to be running around like crazy.. just be positional and strong, get his team up the field, which he is brilliant at. I don't care how old he is... central strikers don't need to run to the lines in a 4-3-3, so he should be still able to do it.

Riv has work rate and will work hard in that 10 spot.. on both sides of the ball. And he can play of Blaz, running through, one two's.. lots..

Blas
Bolanos riveiro Thechera
Morales Laba
harvey Parker Watson Aird (another chance)

Give this a try.. see if Morales as the qb can pick out Blas and get us up the park.

in conclusion,

I don't think Laba and Morales has it as a 4-4-2 pairing. I miss Koffie. But this is what we have.. so why not give it a look....

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My only objection to your analysis is on the top man. I like having the luxury of bringing Blas in at 60-70 minutes. He changes the look of the attack, and has that proven quality as a finisher, so you let him free to cause mahem on tired, grumpy legs.

Regs, Lion and I request a high five icon, that only he an I can use. For each other. No, it is not a bromance, it is better than that.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would love to see that line up and some more support up front. Rivero's work rate I never question, but the finishing isn't what it needs to be. We need that player that buries his chances when he gets them. I can't stand Dwyer but he is a great finisher and certainly handed it to us. Manneh was wide open and should have buried his chances. We need to be clinical (john madden statement of the day)

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude agreed a little. Just don't see the Kodo guy being good enough or strong enough. But he does deserve a chance.
I'm a fan of a big target man for some reason. ;) at the ripe age of 35.

Sigh.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But Lion, when the big target man is 35, and his legs are gone, you have to use him wisely, like late in a match so he doesn't tire early.

Last time I saw another big target man of local fame, he was retiring early from Buffalo Bills, while others were just getting started. It may have been a one-off performance, but it didn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence in big, old, target men.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big old striker and big guy in the back lack shape 0-2 is the reason. Flat back against fast teams will kill White Caps due to mobility of the two players.
Team has no direction, team has no pace to their ball movement it's way to easy for other clubs. Manneh looks out of shape should play 60 minutes and no more. Little T can fill in on that side. Two wing backs are way slow under attack. Kid from Win-Peg needs to let the ball running. Running in to defenders is a dumb move.Speed kills, Caps lack it due to far many touches on the ball in the back and in the middle of the Park.
Coach needs to take yoga and relax team can see his nerves. Pro players do not need a guy yapping at them during a match. Take the guy out if you think his game pace and read is not there.
UBC trails for next three weeks and we will see some wins. It would do coach great deal to run with the guys.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I did see Caps second team train today. Even second team trains at forty percent. Both need higher pace training and more focus on the task.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
let's just say there were some distractions with Koffie and I guess they decided to rely on the preseason form (Flores > Koffie by all accounts) and make their decision. Lord knows they couldn't ever part with you know who - who is making serious dough as well, by the way. In any event, this Jacobson fellow had better be a true box to box midfielder, because as Lion and others have said, they lack the box to box presence right now.

The team I assist with runs the same system as the Caps. It needs active wingbacks and you live with a bit of adventure on the d side of things. In that regard, Aird - who is a converted midfielder I believe - and Harvey are good fits. So far so good.

The problem with generating offence is that if your triangle inside has the one attacker, depending on how that guy and your lone wolf play, there can be acres of space between the two... If your wingers aren't working their tails off and reading and reacting to get into the right position, it becomes a disjointed, ineffective mess in a hurry. Doesn't help that Rivero couldn't score in a Nevada brothel and is probably already back in his own dome again.

My team is lucky in the sense that our best midfielder and maybe best player is the box to box
guy. We get a ton of help up top and back home from him. The Caps best midfielder for me is probably Laba, even over Morales. But you aren't getting SFA from him going forward. Honestly, I'd flip the triangle and get after it with two CAM's. Laba can cope. At least if you lose you might score every now and again and you'll sucker the Southsiders into renewing at an 18 percent markup for a non-playoff team - which is exactly where this is headed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0