Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 2017 VMSL Div 2 Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I swear to god, if the "snow" cancels games this weekend I may stab someone...

That being said, in the meantime here are my Baseless Predictions for Round 2 :D

Preliminary Round: 18/24
Overall: 18/24

Round of 32:

Gastown v Campo B
Well I picked the wrong Campo team to advance from the first round. A big step up in class now as their opponent goes from a fellow CAT team to a Division 2 squad. Campo will have a well prepared game plan, as always, but Gastown should have the pedigree to progress from this one. Despite having fallen from the once lofty heights of Division 1, Gastown are a solid Div. 2 squad and should fancy a bit of a cup run in a weak quarter of the draw.

HK Hrvat v Bombastic A
Lots of similarities between these two inter-divisional rivals. Both teams are in fifth, with comparable point totals and both are coming off first round byes. Both are enjoying somewhat of a renaissance this season, after finishing in the bottom half of the table last year. Hrvat are in good form presently, unbeaten in four stretching across "Snowmaggedon" and that include a win over including a win over third place Burnaby Metro and a draw last weekend with second place Sarajevo. Bombastic have been more unpredictable, with results varying much more drastically than their opponents; plus they've allowed an eye popping 41 goals against which is joint 4th highest in all of Division two. Add to this that Hrvat always seem to go a few rounds in the cup annually and it tips the scale in favour of the 2A lads.

Burnaby Metro Athletic v Royal City A
One of many contenders for MOTR and it's current 3A leaders Royal at Div. 2 promotion hopefuls Bby Metro. Royal City are enjoying a dream debut to life in the VMSL as, with three game remaining, they are fully in control of their League Title and promotion hopes. Simply winning out will see them join Div. 2 next season. Bby are hoping to escape Div. 2 and seemed to be in the drivers seat this past weekend against current league leaders 13th Legion, before twice squandering the lead to remain 3 points back of promotion. At the time of the cup draw Metro were high enough to be seeded, but in truth their form has been less than convincing of late. Just a solitary win in their last five matches, and that came in the form of an 11-0 beat down of league bottom dwellers PCOV, which is hardly promotion pedigree. Perhaps a game against lower league opposition is just what the doctor ordered then? Royal City will pose a challenge, as their two headed monster attacking brothers have scored at least 37 goals between them (goal scorers in Div. 3 are not the most reliably reported so it is quite likely even more than this). However, if Burnaby can contain these two, who are Div. 1 quality players at least, that will pretty much dry up the New West club's offence and Royal city do give up goals regularly, with only the lone clean sheet on the season. The should play right into Burnaby's hand and I would expect to see them march on to play likely another top Div. 3 team.

Bombastic B v VAFC A Celtic
A decent upset for the Bombastic CAT boys over Div. 3B second place Bosna in the first round. On paper Celtic, who are up to fourth in 3A, should be less of challenge that promotion pushing Bosna. That being said Bombastic still have to be the underdogs in this one, given their win last week was only their third of the campaign. Trece's boys drew a by into the second round and haven't played for a month. While there might be some rust, I still expect to see VAFC progress from this one.

13th Legion v Burnaby Select White Eagle
Match of the Round here as first in 2A plays second in 2B, though Burnaby would be in first if they win their game in hand. What a show down this is, as both teams surely have ambitions of winning this cup as well as promotion. So the competition will lose a major contender at the second hurdle, but which one? 13th Legion have emerged from relative obscurity to become promotion favourites. Even when they were expected to fade, they have kicked on including this past weekend when they came from behind not once but twice to rebuff their title rivals Burnaby Metro Athletic. The Legion are full value for their league position having lost out right only once on day one of the campaign. White Eagles have rebuilt their program from their Serbia days and are in the hunt to return to Division 1. A loss to Harps just prior to the first snowfall has kept Burnaby from getting any separation in the promotion race, but they are still in pole position to go up as they turn their attention to the cup. They got a nice mid-week warm up fixture in as they cruised past Sea to Sky so there is no worry of rust heading into the weekend. It's a classic tough to predict cup clash and it truly could go either way. 13th Legion have been turning heads all season and I am going to stick with them to continue to lap up the spotlight. Also their goal difference is vastly superior to that of Burnaby and when you are looking for fine margins to separate the sides that just might do it.

VUFC Rangers v France FC
Pretty prousd that I called this upset with France knocking off PCOV in the last round. However, my CAT over bottom Div. 2 prediction blew up in my face when VUFC swept Rino's Fury without getting out of first gear. VAFC looked good posting a 5-1 scoreline, but France FC shouldn't be overlooked for punching above their weight class. I think there's decent odds on another upset this weekend, but Rangers were very convincing against Rino's. I'll say this one needs PKs and VUFC slip through.

Coquitlam Metro Ford Lupi v Astro
Another tasty one as Metro Ford finally get a test of their merit. They have been untouchable as far as Div. 3 so far this season and are the lone remaining team in the whole of the VMSL without a loss after their big cousins fell to Peg in Premier this past weekend. Lupi were gliding past Ante-Up 7-0 at the time and now get set to face a Div. 2 team in Astro. Astro are mid table and Metro Ford will doubtless fancy there chances, especially on home turf. Astro got past Punjab Hurricanes on the road in round one, but it was far from convincing and the Tri-Cities boys are likely already eying up a possible second promotion campaign. Needing only one more win (or a Strathcona loss) to confirm their spot in Division 2 next season, they have only the cup left to focus on. I expect to see them move on.

Greencaps v NorVan Vikings
Greencaps were high enough to be seeded at the time of the cup draw, but have gone 1-1-1 through the various snow delays and now sit fourth. NorVan needed some last minute heroics to stun Div. 2 Serbia last Monday, can they ride that high and do it again against at team 3 places higher up the table this week? I wouldn't think so, but hey that's why we play the games. It should be straight forward for Greencaps, who are clinging to the promotion race after their recent dropped, but maybe lightning will strike twice.

Strikers v Joga Bonito
Well upset of the season without a doubt. Joga Bonita win their first ever VMSL game against a team a cumulative 39 odd places higher than them in the standings. To put this in perspective, Joga still trail Burnaby Selects AFC in Div. 3A; a team that folded after playing only half the schedule. Defending champions Strikers got past Unicorns in the last round and surely Joga will be a free pass to the Round of 16, though I am certain Harps were thinking along the same lines last week!

Snipers v Westside
Another good cup clash with an upper tier Div. 3 team matched against quality Div. 2 opposition. Snipers are just at the edge of the promotion fight in 2A while Westside are ready to pounce should Royal City falter in 3A. Westside coasted past Royal Dutch Cousins in the opening round, while Snipers needed PKs to advance past Twin Arrows. Certainly Snipers are battle tested, and have tested their nerves via that shootout, but Westside will be up for this game to be sure. Got to trust the Div. 2 pedigree in this one, but I'm not ruling out an upset.

Euro FC v Meraloma
Again a good midtable inter-divisional battle in this one. Both teams skipped past lower league opponents in the opening round of games and will fancy their chances of moving on. It's a toss up but Euro have the better stats across the board (points per game, goals against and goal difference; while goals for is essentially a saw off). A leaky defense is never a good thing to have to keep an eye on heading into a cup tie and Loma's first clean sheet of the season came againsr Div. 3 Ex Patriots last weekend. Euro, haven't exactly post numerous clean sheets themselves, but they have shutout promotion candidates Sarajevo and have allowed a single goal or less 6 times compared to Meraloma only holding opponents to 1 goal or less on 3 occasions in league play. Add it all up and I'll take Euro in this one.

Cliff Sr. Cobras v Siaron
The only all Div. 3 match up of the round and it's a domestic one. First versus third from 3B for the third time this season, with current league leader Cliff having claimed all six point so far. The Cobras are superior across the board statistically which, combined with their previous pair of victories, would lead you to believe that this one should be a slam dunk. That's the beauty of the Cup though, it's the perfect time for Siaron to land a sucker punch. I'm betting on Cliff pulling off the win, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see a classic cup turnover.

Shaheen v West Coast Celts
I've pointed out on multiple occasions that Shaheen have a fantastic draw and the Div. 2B leaders will ease into things with a visit from Div. 3 West Coast. Not much to analyze in this one. Barring a melee, a la their cousins West Coast Saints in the previous round, Celts should be seen off without incident.

Sarajevo v NorVan Storm
In the most difficult section of the draw we have the MOTR runner up as second from 2A host third from 2B. Again both teams likely have cup title ambitions as well as an eye on their respective hotly contested promotion races. Sarajevo come in on the back of a costly two points dropped against HK Hrvat. Meanwhile NorVan should off the rust with a 7-0 thrashing of PCOV in the cup. Safe to say this one won't be 7-0! In trying to find a difference between these two, it's tough as they have identical goal differences. Sarajevo is the defense oriented team, while NorVan has more goals for. A fascinating tie in prospect here! I'm expecting a low scoring affair in this one and that favours Sarajevo, but NorVan seems in the better vein of form and will be confident of scoring goals after filling the net the last time out. Coin toss here and I'm going to opt for penalties in this one. I'll say Sarajevo has enough Div. 1 pedigree left after being relegated at the end of last season to get this one over the line.

Metropolitan B v Richmond Olympics
I called Metro B to be a dark horse in this competition given that Students did not enter their A team in the Imperial Cup. That theory will be put to the test this round as, after easing past a fellow CAT team in their opener, they face an upper Div. 3 team in Richmond. Richmod are third in 3C and saw off Cosmos from 3B in Round 1 with little trouble. Certainly Olympics have to be the favourite in this one, but here's my Upset Special for this round: I'll take Students B to advance to the Round of 16!

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps I'm way behind here, and apologies if that is the case, but did I hear correctly that Metropolitan 'A' has transferred the majority of their clubs Div 1 relegation threatened squad DOWN to their Div 2 CAT squad in order to 'go on a Cup run' ??

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Geez, favourites to win a game? Thanks for the kiss of death.

Actually not so worried about the rust as much as the extremely thin numbers we have available.for a Saturday game. We'll be lucky to be able to put 11 on the field, but hey, you do what you can...

Double header for us tomorrow as our over 45 Thunder play NK Hrvat in the Geritol Bowl right after the young'uns.

Nov 20, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lomas 2-1 euro. Lomas had 10 men Until the 80th minute when they had 2 sent off for dissent (both 2nd yellows) and euro scored one late and also had a pen saved earlier in the 2nd half. Reffing was poor throughout as he seemed to be favouring euros

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No keeper, because he decided "he wanted to go to the Island this weekend."
No striker or #10, because they booked a trip to Portland for this weekend. Centre back decided to go with them because it was "only a first round Cup game."
Quince Verde in goal because he had a charlie horse from training on Thursday and couldn't run. Or dive. Or jump.
Centre mid had to leave at the half to go to work.
Throw in the Bearded Wonder of an excuse for a ref who couldn't call an offside correctly to save his life, and you have the recipe for a perfect disaster.
1-0 at the half and 5-1 final, with an absolute fcuking joke of a performance by the team in white, despite 3 of 5 goals being blatantly offside. Probable the single worst showing of the season.

Well done to Bombastic who made the most of their opportunity.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No keeper, because he decided "he wanted to go to the Island this weekend."
No striker or #10, because they booked a trip to Portland for this weekend. Centre back decided to go with them because it was "only a first round Cup game."
Quince Verde in goal because he had a charlie horse from training on Thursday and couldn't run. Or dive. Or jump.
Centre mid had to leave at the half to go to work.
Throw in the Bearded Wonder of an excuse for a ref who couldn't call an offside correctly to save his life, and you have the recipe for a perfect disaster.
1-0 at the half and 5-1 final, with an absolute fcuking joke of a performance by the team in white, despite 3 of 5 goals being blatantly offside. Probable the single worst showing of the season.

Well done to Bombastic who made the most of their opportunity.
A very @Soccer Coach like post. Excellent work!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nope. I'm mostly blaming my own team here. The ref was atrocious both ways, but it was just more noticeable to us because they consistently had a forward hanging high behind our defenders, and it wasn't even that he bothered to run on to the ball from an onside position; he was consistently starting from an offside position. That sucks, but our back line should have adjusted and played deeper, and they didn't.

Like I posted on Friday night, I knew we were going to have trouble due to numbers before the game. That's not blaming everybody else, that's blaming us. If I wanted to really go postal on a ref, I'd talk about the clown we had for the Geritol Bowl following this Cup game - that was possibly the worst display of 'officiating" I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies. That guy made Haji look competent.

MKLeveron

Apr 25, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
People take these things a bit too seriously. Guys, use common sense. The city is covered in snow and experiencing congestion from all the accidents and traffics. Fields are covered in snow. There is forecast of more snow. There is no precedent of municipality clearing turf in short notice. Of course, the fields are unplayable and closed and games will not take place.
.View attachment 17883
Yes I'm sure you're the king of common sense.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Snow in the forecast again...got to be kidding me! Hopefully these Baseless Predictions get to play out!

Round of 32: 12/15
Overall: 30/39

Round of 16:

Burnaby Metro Athletic v Metro Ford Lupi
Match of the Round to start this one off. One year removed for being the Division three upstarts themselves, Bby Metro now player the lower league wonder-kids and the shoe is on the other foot. Burnaby have lived up to their billing this year and are right in with a shout at promotion. Coquitlam, meanwhile, have not lost- period. They saw off Astro from Div. 2 last round with absolutely no trouble; a complete thumping 6-1. Burnaby were comfortable enough seeing off another Division 3 leader in Royal City 2-0. So the question is then, are Lupi upper Div. 2 lower Div. 3 calibre? They know what this game means, this is their chance to prove they are as good as they appear to be, this is their chance to make the VMSL really take notice. They've already won their Division, their going up, the cup is the focus now, they're coming with everything that they've got. Burnaby still have a promotion race to win and have been less than dominant recently. No question about their ability, as I've said they have proven their pedigree in the league already, but can they resist the tidal wave of confidence and bravado swelling up from the Tri-Cities. Let's hope it lives up to the billing! My gut says to pick Metro Ford, but until they prove that they are THIS GOOD, I have to take the Div. 2 promotion contenders.

Strathcona v Metropolitan B
One of two CAT teams still remaining, Students are on a bit of a Cinderella run. Interestingly, their A team is also enjoying an uptick in form, perhaps dispelling rumors of a mass player transfer. This is Strathcona's first real cup game since they waltzed past B United a month ago and then received a bye after the bizarre West Coast/America dust up. Strathcona are free scoring at the moment, posting a 9-0 win last weekend, but Metro saw off a similar caliber team last round in Richmond who have nearly and identical record in 3C. It's a toss up, but I'm saying it's not quite midnight just yet; book my Upset Special in this one!

Cliff Sr Cobras v Bombastic B
The other remaining CAT team, Bombastic, upset VAFC last time out. Sounds like it went all Bombastic's way on the day and I don't think they can expect the same this time out. Cliff at the top of 3B and are firmly in the driver's seat for promotion, while Bombastic are second bottom in CAT and have clearly over achieved to this point in the competition. This time it is midnight; Cliff to carry Div. 3 into the Quarter-Finals.

Greencaps v VUFC Rangers
Rangers have got their mojo going with a couple of cup wins over lower league opponents. Now however, it's a domestic battle and their is a reason they are flirting with relegation. Greencaps saw them off 5-3 once already this season, I would expect the Green Men (who are still in with a sniff at promotion) should be able to see off a relegation candidate from their own division.

NorVan Storm v HK Hrvat
Quite the match up in this one, with a classic Cup inter-divisional match. These games are what the cup is all about and the cup is what Hrvat are all about. Every year they go at least a round or two at minimum it seems. NorVan though are a top team, just missing out on promotion last season and in with a shout at it again this year. They also put in a classy performance to see off fellow promotion contenders from their opposite division, Sarajevo, 2-0 last week. Not to take anything away from HK's 1-0 over Bombastic last round, but in NorVan can beat second in 2A it stands to reason that they can beat fifth. Hrvat won't roll over by any stretch, they do love their cup runs, but I think the North Shore lads will advance here.

Snipers v Strikers
Both teams with 0-0 and greasy shootout wins over Div. 3 teams last time out. Neither side has been resoundingly impressive to this point this season. Complete toss up in this one; Snipers are having the better year overall and got past the stronger Div. 3 team last round. Strikers have cup pedigree, having been to the final last season, so they know how to get it done. Another shootout on the cards here perhaps. They drew their league meeting 1-1, thus it would be in form to see another draw. Snipers are higher up the table, but cup is it's own animal and experience counts. I'll say Strikers advance.

13th Legion v Meraloma
The Legion continue to march on and turn heads. They saw off a top team in Burnaby White Eagles last round and Lomas aren't quite in the same thin air when it comes to the table. In fact they are hovering near the bottom, so I should think the dream of the League/Cup Double should escape this one intact for the 13th Legion.

Shaheen v Gastown
Another domestic battle in this one and Shaheen have had the better of it when it comes to the league this season, sitting first at the moment to Gastown's eight. Gastown has the edge head to head however, winning 1-0 on opening day and then drawing the reverse fixture on the North Shore 1-1. A possible bogey team then for Shaheen and definitely the runner up for MOTR honours. Neither team in inspiring form away from the cup as draws litter their recent record. Should be yet another quality match up that could go either way, but I'll defer to the league leaders in this one.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
1-0 Lupi over Burnaby Metro. Screamer ten minutes into second half.

Bizarre night. Game started super late. There were no nets. Nets arrived 15 minutes in. Game stopped for 10 minutes to put nets on.

10pm comes around. Burnaby pushing hard for equaliser. Half the lights go out at Trillium. Ref blows for full time with three minutes of normal time left and what should been probably four minutes of stoppage time as there was a bad injury.

Burnaby just seemed to accept it. Weird.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strathcona seem to have brushed aside Metro B with ease... so that's two Div3 teams already in the QFinals... Cobra to make it 3.

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver United knocked out the Greencaps in an end to end game that ended 3-3. VUFC won 4-3 on pens.

One of the worst referees I have ever has the misfortune to witness. For both sides. I'm all for letting the game flow, but no red card for a deliberate handball by Van U player that stopped Greencaps getting a fourth, no card for an elbow to the head on a Van U player right in front of him, but he gave the free kick, and Greencaps had a clear cut penalty waved away.

He was wrapped up like Paddington Bear and couldn't run to keep up with play!

thfc

Feb 29, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouver strikers 5-1 victors over Snipers FC. Up 3-0 at half, then 4-0, 5-0, 5-1 for a final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0