Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 Division 2 Cup 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the draw date fast approaching, I just wanted to express my excitment in prospect of facing some of you TTP'ers from group C -- namely the JB's, PG's, and NK's. In fact, if I had to choose someone to play against I'd have to pick Godlike. I can't wait to make some of you eat some crow. :p

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Groups.....

Group 1
1 Optima FC
2 Elephant Walk ‘A’
3 Champlain Heights
4 Burnaby Heights

Group 2
1 Point Grey United
2 Cliff Avenue United
3 Westside Knights
4 Pt. Grey Rangers ‘B’
5 Signmaster FC

Group 3
1 Alemania FC
2 Bosna SC
3 Nomads
4 NK Hrvatska
5 'B’ United

Group 4
1 Binger’s Army
2 Bombastic SC ‘A’
3 North Shore Utd. Primos
4 Richmond Cougars

Group 5
1 North Shore Utd. JB’s
2 North Shore Utd. Falcons
3 Westside ‘C’
4 Burnaby Fury

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that nice for NK

Group of Death would have to be our group with 3 tough teams. one being ourselves, while the other 2 being Leagues leaders Bosna and Alemenia. Gonna be interesting. Could see the wildcard coming out of this group.

Boycs

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone understand what the league is doing. Apparently the Div 2 CAT teams play off against each other and then are slotted into the round of 16. I fail to see the point, why not just put everyone in randomly?

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe this point was brought up a few years ago. The point was that the Div 2 league groups were becoming so small that each team only got to play 14 games a year -- down from the previous 18 (we used to have 10 teams to a group -- now it's 8). Then half the teams in the cup would get knocked out after the first game of the cup competition.

To placate many of these teams, they created this round robin which (1) immitated the World Cup format, and (2) guaranteed each team at least 3 more games to their season.

The CAT teams, on the other hand, play a few more games in their season -- 17, I think -- so they just have a one-off phase to qualify for the knockout round with the rest of the teams.

I for one, like it.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Predictions

This thread has been too quiet lately. Let's get the predictions started.

Group A
1. Optima FC
2. Champlain Heights
Optima will walk away with this group, while the remaining three compete in a turtle race. Champlain will pick up 2nd spot, simply due to Elephant Walk's lack of scoring and Burnaby's lack of defense.

Group B
1. Point Grey United
2. Cliff Avenue United
Would be the toughest group if not for the Point Grey Rangers and Signmaster FC. However, Godlike will rear his ugly head again and talk his way into 1st. Cliff Avenue will be tied on points but 2nd overall due to goal difference. Look for the Westside Knights to battle for the Wildcard position.

Group C
1. Alemania FC
2. Bosna SC
Perennial front runners Alemania will take 1st yet again, while the former Division 1 relegates, Bosna, will limp their way ahead of NK Hrvatska to take 2nd. NK Hrvatska will batttle with the Westside Knights of Group B for the Wildcard spot.

Group D
1. Binger’s Army
2. Bombastic SC A
Although, not necessarily the highest quality group in the bunch, Group D will certainly be the tightest. Look for a three-way tie for 1st -- goal difference being the only thing separating the North Shore Primos from the knockout phase. Marty's Bombastic boys will be on a mission to do well in the Cup.

Group E
1. North Shore JB's
2. North Shore Falcons
This will be the biggest cake walk of the competition. The JB's could sleep-walk through this group and still come out in 1st place. If the JB's come out with anything less than 3 wins, it's open season on piss-takes. The Falcons pick up 2nd, because they're simply not as bad as the C-Men or Fury.

CAT Teams
Group A: Surrey United over Bombastic/Lobban's
Surrey will demolish their opponent. Bombastic or Lobban's? It doesn't matter which.

Group B: Meralomas over Vancouver Olympics Ouzo
This will be the Match of the Week. It'll be tight, but the Greeks will self destruct when the Mermaids shut the door on them.

Group C: Hagar's over Metro-Ford
Almost to close to call, but with the way Metro-Ford has be falling lately, Hagar's will pull through.

Group D: Western Union Sarajevo over Firefighters
Although their position in the standings doesn't reflect it yet, Sarajevo will be a team to deal with. The Firemen won't notice that they've got 4 games in hand in the standings and will take them too lightly.

Group E: WFC Rangers over ICSF Calabria
We lucked on this one. By far the easiest team to draw on the bunch. Look for a shutout.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ask and ye shall receive

Keep, you were hoping for a matchup against a 2c team in the cup and it appears that it might just work out that way. Be careful what you wish for though;) It appears that if we win our group and the JB's win theirs (fcuk, my grandma's over-90's team could win NSU's group) we play off for the right to kick your team's ass and send you spiralling out of the cup:p BTW, still no word from Godlike but if we end up playing you I'll go over to his pad and drag his hungover self out to the game personally, just for you. Your predictions are pretty much spot on it seems, so combining that with the fact I'm feeling lazy I'll just second yours. I'll bring one of the crows from North Van for you 'cause I sense you're feeling hungry :D

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
F.Y.I.

CAT Group Preliminaries

Group A
T.B.A.
(Winner of Bombastic B
v. Lobbans B)
v.
Surrey United C

Group B
McBride Park February 24, 2002, 2pm
Meralomas B
v.
Vancouver Olympics Ouzo

Group C
Loutet Park #3 February 23, 2002, 2pm
Hagar's B
v.
Metro-Ford Lions

Group D
South Memorial Park NW February 24, 2002, 2pm
Firefighters C-Lects
v.
Western Union Sarajevo

Group E
T.B.A.
WFC Rangers
v.
ICSF Calabria

the insider

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New Cup Schedule

Well the league has done away with the round robin groups... so you all need to revise your predictions for the Cup. I might as well have a go at it too...just the first round though.

Preliminary Round

Game 1: Bombastic FC ‘B’ vs Lobbans ‘B’ : Even though Bombastic B have only won one game this year they should actually be favoured as they are playing a team with a worse record - 0 points for Lobbans so far in the league this season. Bombastic wins. R&B Raven Cream Ale all around!

ROUND OF 32—2002-02-23/24

Game 2: Optima FC vs Burnaby Heights - Optima have won both matches in the league this year against BH by a combined score of 9-1. More of the same I'm afraid.

Game 3: Hagars ‘B’ vs Metro-Ford Lions - Lion's might be leading CAT B but they are beatable. This game goes to penalties. However, I think Lion's have better nerve and will win anyway.

Game 4: Nomads vs Westside Knights - Westside are the more experienced side. Nomads like to sit back and hope the other team doesn't score. Knights will be the ones with the clean sheet.

Game 5: Alemania FC vs ‘B’ United: Newsflash! B United will show up with a full team... but it won't make a lick of difference. Alemania in a walk.

Game 6: Bosna SC vs NK Hrvatska: Bosna will be shocked... by how absolute crap NK actually are after hyping themselves up so much in this forum.

Game 7: Elephant Walk ‘A’ vs Champlain Heights: Elephant Walk is a sentimental pick because Tony Ceh, the guy that runs the team, is such a nice guy - and because I wonder if CH will even bother to show up.

Game 8: Cliff Ave Utd vs Pt Grey Rangers ‘B’ - Cliff Avenue is a lock at home.

Game 9: Firefighters C-lects vs WU Sarajevo - no home field advantage as South Memorial is home for both sides. I like Firemen's experience in this one.

Game 10: North Shore Falcons vs Westside ‘C’ - Falcons are young and have done well in the league, but the C-men bring more flats of beer to the park in a season than all other teams combined. C-men will upset.

Game 11: WFC Rangers vs ICSF Calabria - Rangers near the top in CAT B, Calabria are only a monsoon aided draw against Bombastic B

Game 12: North Shore JB’s vs Burnaby Fury - JB's are on a roll and even if they weren't they'd still beat Fury.

Game 13: Point Grey United vs Signmaster - Point Grey will win this one... especially on their home park. By how much will depends on which of their players are available to play.

Game 14: Meralomas ‘B’ vs Vancouver Olympics Ouzo - Could be a good one. Lomas have only lost once all games involving Ouzo have been very close contests. There are always a couple upsets and I think this could be one of them. Ouzo will win.

Game 15: Binger’s Army vs Richmond Cougars - Cougars won't be used to the size of the Montgomery pitch after playing on that postage stamp of a park in Richmond. Binger's by a few.

Game 16: Bombastic FC ‘A’ vs North Shore Primos - This match could be one of the best. The clubs know each other from league play last season (each winning once). While Primos are not in contention for promotion like Bombastic they have won their fair share. Both teams have given up 21 goals. However, Bombastic gave away 16 goals in their first three games and just 5 in their last 9 with 5 shutouts. Primos only have two clean sheets and those were against last place Signmaster. Conclusion - defense wins championships. Bombastic A in a close contest. (Of course I'm biased!)

Game 17: Winner of Game 1 vs Surrey United ‘C’
Surrey United have a very fit side that just keep coming at you. Can Bombastic B (my predicted winner in the prelim match) cope with the Tempo. Since the prize for the winner will be a date with Bombastic A I think Bombastic B will have that extra little bit of incentive.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice!

That makes you, Keeper, and The Captain the only Div 2ers with a set of balls :rolleyes:

~TB.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cup Draw

Game 16 ... perhaps the most interesting of all. I'm of course bias on the other side and would have to say the Primos will take this one. Due to injuries and shoddy defense, the Primos have been on the wrong side of more than too many games, but are due for a break out game. With guys back from injuries etc. I expect the Primos to win this one. 2-1 in a shootout.

That said, the Primos have always had poor luck at David Lam, so that could be the achilles heel.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some of you may be happy to know that I'm going with the JB's to pummel Godlike's butt. Then again, it won't matter in the end. ;)

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
NK Rolls on to Round of 16

For all you poolers who picked NK, Congrats as we put Bosna out of the Div 2 Cup with a close 1:0 game. Game played at Clinton park which was shite, cow pasture, ankle breaker, whatever u want to call it, it was crap. Both teams had chances. NK's defence was stronger and NK burried there lone goal with less than 10 to play.

NK rolls on!! Whose next???

Time to Celebrate :)

watcher

Oct 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
bosna gone

Anal Insider....You were right. Bosna would be shocked. Just not the way you thought they would. So go tell the stutterer and all the rest of you NSU freaks that if youre still around come the finals NK will still have the last laugh...... P.S. Cidkid......An astute selection on your part correctly predicting that the good train NK would be back on track to smash ther lesser balkan neighbors.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ethnic clashes are a crap shoot

Fcuking Croats :mad: Why can't you knuckleheads show more consistency? You get wolloped your last game and then you go and knock out my Div 2 Cup champion...

I'll just have to be satisfied with knocking Croatia A outta the Imperial (and the Provincials at the same time) :rolleyes:

~TBwhocongratsthefcukersanyways.

mickster

Aug 15, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
NKH wins ??????????

Watcher, BJB

how the hell did you guys pull that one off. You're a bunch of decent guys but you're all shite footballers. Bosna must have been on crack, maybe they hooked up with Godlike prior to the match to get some celebratory "stuff" and just got into it too early. You guys are a "crock of crap" and won't go far, sorry guys but your season will soon be over. Maybe you'd do better in an over 40's or maybe even a girls league.....No you'd get your butts kicked there too.....

Mickster, still on a high from the C-C-C-Canada Win !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0