Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA Womens World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you, Regs. More of that.

SirM...I have to ask, what did you expect? Honestly?

For me, there are very few sports where the female entertainment value is as good as the men's equivalent. Tennis is one, volleyball another, then a whole lot of individual sports, but those more for the athleticism and storylines than skill.

Being a coach of impressionable young ladies, I'm cheering this on for the inspiration it gives those young ladies, and frankly, sucking it up when I'm watching w/ my daughter. She loves it, and that's a huge win.

Bought tickets yesterday for the round of 16, group A winner vs whatever. Hoping Canada can come out on top, and we can watch the Canadian ladies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll meet her halfway...

On the turf issue, I'm 100% behind the women. It's a fcuking joke that FIFA allowed this tourney to take place on artificial turf, because there is no way in hell they'd have allowed the men to play on artificial turf for the Men's WC (I know it has been used on U21 or some other lesser tourney). There is a story today in the Province about the heat on the turf...well, no shite Sherlock? How was this overlooked? Had FIFA simply told Canada they must have proper grass pitches to their standards, CSA would have followed suit...because they needed this WC more than FIFA needed Canada to host it.

On the gender testing, I'll only say that I think there are inherent advantages that makes having changed from man to a woman would have, most specifically a baseline training as a man in her earlier years, not to mention bone structure and muscle mass. The situation would not be the same if the roles were reversed. That's about all I can say, since I have absolutely no medical training to back my beliefs up. I think the medical community is very much divided on that, too. There was the case of Michelle Dumaresq, a local DH Mountain Biker who fought to be recognized as a female racer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Dumaresq

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quick question: Are females forbidden to play in the Mens World Cup? Is there an actual rule stating as such?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So a man who isn't good enough for the Mens World Cup can't play for his country in the Womens World Cup but a female who is good enough for BOTH, CAN play in both?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Logical is having tests to make sure a man isn't playing in a female competition and NOT trying to label it as discrimination.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Meh, you can call it what you want. And call me what you want. I just have my beliefs on this, and unless a medical professional can give me a clear argument otherwise (i.e.: there would be no advantage gained from a transgendered athlete competing as a female), I'll again side with the fair competition argument.

That said, there is a definite REAL HUMAN side of this I don't like. It's cruel to pull a girl off the pitch, and test her, based solely on appearances. For the rest of her life, that girl will always be associated with gender testing every time someone googles her name and it links to Wiki. I don't like it, and I don't this it's cool. I am totally not OK w/ the tsunami effect the testing has on their lives, but I can see why it's actually needed.

Sucks. No matter what way you slice it, there are no winners.

So, what the world needs is clear medical evidence showing how there is no advantage gained after a certain amount of time having made a change (there are also those very rare cases where the person is born w/ both chromosomes, which I know even less about). Then this type of cruelty can be put away.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
You two are definitely onto something that will be more and more a hot topic over the next few years (if it is already not; there have been, over the years, some serious debates about that issue).

In my opinion, in order to avoid any controversy it is better to put a clear barrier in every sport and label it clearly as men's or women's.
Changes of sex (which is, as we know, possible nowadays) is potentially a huge problem for any sport if some high profile athlete decides to do that (using this only as an example). The same applies to transgender people. Unfortunately, any attempt to make things "clear" and "fair" in this case raises another controversy, it becomes a human's right issue, etc.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@RL RCD , thanks, that is issue here. It's considered discrimination apparently to make sure the competition is fair?

So why even have a mens and womens separate World Cup in any sport?

@Dude - my point is using discrimination is a stupid way to contest this. Why are WNT playing U16 Boy teams to prepare for a World Cup?

I'm not even sure if we are debating different things as you say you side on fair competition which the whole gender test is in place to ensure?

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, testing should not be seen as discrimination. I understand your point in a case when one person (due to "her" appearance) is the only one tested but Regs, I believe, is talking about something entirely different here.

It looks to me that big sport's organizations still did not address seriously any of these issues and that was possible because they did not have a high profile athlete involved into any of these controversial situations. But, just imagine if Caitlyn Jenner (born William Bruce Jenner) decided to change sex in mid eighties or find any guy (high profile athlete right now) who'd do it now and then wanted to compete against other women!? Would that be acceptable? I am saying "No" and that is why I said that a clear barrier must be set and sport labeled clearly either men's or women's.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...en-s-world-cup-proves-controversial-1.3105274

Two local female players quoted in the article alluding to discrimination.

"It's a bit of a discriminatory thing." said Katie Thorlakson, who played for Canada in the 2007 World Cup. "Are the men playing on [artificial] turf? No. Are the men getting tested for gender? No."

You've got to be fcuking kidding me.

Funny thing, I believe the quoted player there is on the team @bergamascho once referred to as "transgendered monsters"

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back on the field...

Interesting reaction from the crowd in the section where I was to the penalty shot awarded in the Japan/Swiss game. Smartasses were yelling "are you Norwegian" at the ref...

From my perspective in line with the net, it was a legit call, even if the Toblerone-munchers with me didn't agree.

Sliver

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't think it was a penalty. The keeper makes the save and then collides with the onrushing player. What's the keeper supposed to do after getting a piece of the ball.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@RL RCD , thanks, that is issue here. It's considered discrimination apparently to make sure the competition is fair?

So why even have a mens and womens separate World Cup in any sport?

@Dude - my point is using discrimination is a stupid way to contest this. Why are WNT playing U16 Boy teams to prepare for a World Cup?

I'm not even sure if we are debating different things as you say you side on fair competition which the whole gender test is in place to ensure?
Ah, I think we are on the same page here, sir. Your probing questions confused me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0