Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FIFA Womens World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Finally watched my first game yesterday, and it was exactly as I thought it would be...really slow, really tough to watch. That said, I want to support this for all the reasons mentioned previously, but it is painful.

At least now I get to take my daughter to the Canada game on Sunday, Father's Day, and her birthday present. That will be fun.

As for Sinclair, I am hoping it's more a case of Wonder Woman in the Invisible Jet, and she hasn't landed yet. I agree, why you wouldn't tailor a system around her is baffling to me. I think they need her in the middle, in a role and system similar to the Caps, a modified 4-2-3-1, but just give Sophie Schmidt the green light to attack, while Sinclair plays a true #10, with the clear focus on attacking, but laying way deeper so that she's involved in the play.

I suppose that will depend on who they draw...

I also agree w/ all has been said about Buchanan, very solid. And, what else can be said that hasn't about Ashley Lawrence so far, she was very good yesterday, and she gave me some hope that Canada can advance past Sunday.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lawrence and Fleming are the two players who need to be (and can be) developed - Fleming is only 17 but has good pace, and right now, a concrete block for a foot. She needs to learn some patience as a finisher. Not sure I'm sold on Schmidt as a forward, but especially not with Sinclair. There's no way they can work together by playing wide on opposite wings like they have been, and most of Schmidt's best work has been from her coming out of the midfield (especially if she keeps insisting on taking all of the free kicks, wherever they are on the field). The best game I thought Tancredi played was when she was on the bench yesterday.

Wonder Woman needs to start living up to her hype, or start getting subbed out if she's not going to be effective - past it is past it.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece...is there an obvious sub for Sinclair? I think my feelings on this is that there isn't one right now that can step into her shoes. No Kara Lang, certainly no Sydney Leroux. She simply needs to be better because there is nobody else. I'm suggesting a change in formation that sees her getting the ball earlier, rather than trying to play her almost as a lone striker (I know they aren't, but she's playing so high up, and her strike partner was so ineffective, she may as well have been).

The other thing is, even in her limited touches, her control is SO MUCH better than most of the other girls, you can't afford to have her out.

Me thinks that Canada's success, or lack thereof, will rest on her shoulders...which is no surprise to anyone.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude, the only thing I can see as a replacement is to push Leon into the middle and then Belanger back up front with her, and have Fleming right behind them. Your point is well taken, however - they don't have anyone really ready to step into Wonder Woman's cleats yet. She is/was a generational player.

I had a couple of thoughts about this, though - Sinclair is really the epitome of the "reluctant leader" stereotype. When her team mates are interviewed about her a consistent theme is that she does her talking on the field if at all and leads by example. Being in the spotlight like she is right now is probably not a very comfortable situation for her, and under the microscope probably even less so.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lawrence and Fleming are the two players who need to be (and can be) developed - Fleming is only 17 but has good pace, and right now, a concrete block for a foot. She needs to learn some patience as a finisher. Not sure I'm sold on Schmidt as a forward, but especially not with Sinclair. There's no way they can work together by playing wide on opposite wings like they have been, and most of Schmidt's best work has been from her coming out of the midfield (especially if she keeps insisting on taking all of the free kicks, wherever they are on the field). The best game I thought Tancredi played was when she was on the bench yesterday.

Wonder Woman needs to start living up to her hype, or start getting subbed out if she's not going to be effective - past it is past it.
Sinclair's contribution has been poor in the games so far, her work rate is not the best & she closes down like a lazy forward does.
If that was Rooney having performances like that, he would be subbed & the media would slaughter him.
It seems that Christine has a "free pass" in this tournament, she needs to step up.
No runs to receive the ball, not much effort from my view.

I found it interesting watching the American TV feed today and the interviews and pieces on their player's.
Most of the stuff looked like modelling shoots, rather than talking about the game.
It was more like "Entertainment Tonight".
Same with the Canadian team.
What about "Let's win it for Christine"?
What about the other players?
Too much hype and not enough substance.
I think they have gone too far with all of the nonsense of "Player Psychology and "Rah Rah".
Not enough work done on the training field to sort out how they should play.
The girls are acting like "Rock Stars" rather than footballers.
Have they lost the plot?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think collectively, they might have lost the plot.

I read an article the other day (before yesterday's game) where Wambach blamed her scoring woes on the turf. Something along the lines of doesn't throw herself around like on grass and is scared of getting hurt.

WTF?

MC12

Apr 9, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sinclair's contribution has been poor in the games so far, her work rate is not the best & she closes down like a lazy forward does.
If that was Rooney having performances like that, he would be subbed & the media would slaughter him.
It seems that Christine has a "free pass" in this tournament, she needs to step up.

I found it interesting watching the American TV feed today and the interviews and pieces on their player's.
Most of the stuff looked like modelling shoots, rather than talking about the game.
I think they have gone too far with all of the nonsense of "Player Psychology and "Rah Rah".
Have they lost the plot?

This is SPOT on. Games have been painful to watch

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Have they lost the plot?

This is a great post, as usual from you.

Maybe they have lost the plot. Maybe they are enjoying the spotlight a bit too much.

And your shout on CS is exactly what we are seeing, in that as target person, she's failing to make the runs, either intelligent runs to open space for others (hell, she IS considered one of the top 3 strikers on the planet, she SHOULD draw at least one, likely two players to mark her runs), or diagonal runs to put herself into space / scoring positions. Bottom line is she's not doing those things, and it's tough to watch, because we all know she has the intelligence to do so. What it screams to me is she's fallen into the trap where you lose confidence in your teammates to recognise those runs, and make the plays. Maybe it's my confidence level that has fallen w/ respect to her teammates abilities, I dunno, but I wasn't seeing it. I saw way too much hump and hope for my liking.

But, for us to expect the same quality, just at a slower pace, then top men's footy, is just unrealistic.

But it can be better, she can be a lot better, and she has to be a lot better, because there is nobody else. I don't think so, anyhow. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about women's footy can comment, but I just don't think sitting her now will accomplish anything. Better, the coach should put down the pom poms and motivational speech, and pick up a fcuking whip. If they are tied or down at 45 on Sunday, kick over a Gatorade stand or something.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting game last night under the bubble with nearly a full house of semi-knowledgeable 'Murken fans. They do love their team even when they have no clue what's actually happening on the field...

Bubba sits down beside me and my group with our green jerseys on: "so, are y'all from Nicaragua?"

"Umm noo..."

Bubbette, being the brighter light bulb, corrects him: "Nahgeeriuh. They's from Nahgeeriuh, not Nicaragua." Bubba muttered something under his breath, went off to get a couple more glasses of weasel piss, and wasn't see again until near the end of the game. Bubbette moved over and dropped the following bombshell: "so, are y'all from like an African Studies department? Y'all aren't really from Nahgeeriuh?"

"Umm noo..." WTF? No, we're just locals." What fcuking planet are you from, lady? I understand "living a sheltered life" but it never occurred to her that someone at a game might not support the same team as she does, or by extension not share much of the same of anything..:eek: Oh well, at least she was polite about it....​

Sydney got her usual hometown welcome :p:rolleyes: when she came on the field, and there were a couple of WTF moments from the officiating, but not a bad game overall, despite a dubious 2nd yellow for a red. Nigeria is a centre midfielder and striker away from being able to contend seriously, but they gave it full effort even when down to 10 players.

Canada will be playing here. Their opposition won't be decided until after today's games finish, but let's hope "win it for Christine" is accompanied by fires lit under a few arses, including hers.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better, the coach should put down the pom poms and motivational speech, and pick up a fcuking whip. If they are tied or down at 45 on Sunday, kick over a Gatorade stand or something.
This.

Every time I see the camera cut to Herdman on the sidelines, he appears to be in cheerleading mode, turning to his bench or the crowd "Golly gee, did you see that move? Fantastic try!"

Maybe a bit over-the-top observation but it makes me wonder if that is what it takes for female players at this level rather than telling them it needs to be better, you're playing like shite.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do Brazil Woman's Team have 5 stars over their badge?
I can understand the Men's team having them there, they have won 5 World Cups.
The Woman have not.
Do the American Men's team have stars over their badge for the times that the Woman's team have won World Cups?
I think not.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do Brazil Woman's Team have 5 stars over their badge?
I can understand the Men's team having them there, they have won 5 World Cups.
The Woman have not.
Do the American Men's team have stars over their badge for the times that the Woman's team have won World Cups?
I think not.
And if the Brazilian women win this tourney, will the men's team put star #6 on their jerseys???
I think not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0