Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Free Agent Frenzy!

jungleboy

Jun 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you think these owners don't know how to structure their finances to avoid taxes and bring taxable income down you're dreaming. While my statement on this was simplistic so is yours. I actually don't know how the Canucks are structured in ownership by Aquilini.

Your franchise values are more complex than you suggest if you look at Forbes.com and search "The business of hockey". Your view is sort of wrong.

Team owners are not dissimilar to house buyers who want their home investment to appreciate as the value of capital appreciation is what most owners of teams are ultimately seeking.

My original point was whether the Aquilinis need to make money on the Canucks in a big way or not as one fan on radio speculates that maybe they want to reduce payroll.
Enjoy the article.

Will Owning an NHL Team Go Out of Style?

Given that, The Wall Street Journal asks "Is Owning a Sports Team a Losing Bet?"

The real reason that wealthy men own sports teams, besides the prestige factor, is that the club can provide an extremely awesome tax write-off and can appreciate in value over time.

QUOTE]

obviously your not a tax expert, but lucky for you, I'm in the biz. Also 2 guys in my tax group works for the Aquilini Investment Group.

Is this detailed enough for you?

The non-capital loss streaming rule in subsection 111(5) may generally be summarized as follows:[40].

· There must be a loss(es) from a business.

· “That business”, i.e., the business in which the losses were realized (sometimes colloquially referred to as the “loss business”) must be carried on for profit or with a reasonable expectation of profit throughout the particular taxation year after the acquisition of control in which the non-capital losses are being deducted.

· the non-capital losses carried forward may only be applied against:

o income from the “loss business”, or

o where properties were sold, leased, rented or developed or services were rendered in carrying on the “loss business”, income from another business “substantially all the income of which derived from the sale, leasing, rental or development of similar properties or the rendering of similar services” – the so-called “same or similar business” requirement.

The following provides more detail with respect to the requirements of subsection 111(5) and the above points.
(a) There must be a loss or losses from a business.
Although losses from property and losses from employment also fall with the definition of “non-capital loss” in subsection 111(8), it is only losses from a business that may be carried forward to taxation years ending after control of the corporation has been acquired, subject to the loss streaming restrictions.

(b) The “loss business” must be carried on for profit or with a reasonable expectation of profit throughout the particular taxation year after the acquisition of control in which the non-capital losses are being deducted.

The “loss business” is the very business which was carried on by the taxpayer and gave rise to the losses in question. Thus, it must the “same business” which is being carried on after the acquisition of control. In other words, the “loss business” must be continued after the acquisition of control. Whether it is the “loss business” which continues to be carried on after the acquisition of control or whether it is a “separate business” is a question of fact.

YES, appreciation is the key factor in owning a franchise in Canada, not the writeoffs since the tax act prevents non-capital losses from being utilized in other non-related business. Of course we have other vehicles to decrease taxable income such as flow-through shares, income splitting, shell companies off-shore. But this is beyond your level Recco.

Remember you are copying and pasting US magazine articles.

Didn't think I would get a chance to TTP tax style.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stop it.

I come to TTP to get away from talk of taxes, holding companies, accountants, etc.

Don't make me log on to Facebook.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gillis is having a presser at 2:30 this aft.

Hopefully another announcement...I can't see him having a presser just to announce to the world that they landed Bernier's rights...

Eklund is reporting that the Buffalo Van trade is part of something bigger...

Rumours are involving Edler, Bieksa, Pyatt, Cowan and Picks (not all, but some combinations of) for Combination of Pominville or Stafford and Afinogenov and Kotalik...

Rumours also abounding that Vermette in Ottawa is in play for a Canuck Defenseman

also, Canucks are in play for Filppula (either offer sheet or trade)

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gillis is having a presser at 2:30 this aft.

Hopefully another announcement...I can't see him having a presser just to announce to the world that they landed Bernier's rights...

Eklund is reporting that the Buffalo Van trade is part of something bigger...

Rumours are involving Edler, Bieksa, Pyatt, Cowan and Picks (not all, but some combinations of) for Combination of Pominville or Stafford and Afinogenov and Kotalik...

Rumours also abounding that Vermette in Ottawa is in play for a Canuck Defenseman

also, Canucks are in play for Filppula (either offer sheet or trade)

That would be some big noise if we could land some of the Buffalo guys, Vermette would be great too. I like Filppula but even with all those guys it seems we'll have a team full of very good second liners

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In today's current NHL, I think you need two lines that can score and chew up big minutes, a line to play against the other teams number one line and pitch in and a 4th line for 4-6 minutes and to provide energy...

gone are the days of each team having a clear cut "Number 1 Line"

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In today's current NHL, I think you need two lines that can score and chew up big minutes, a line to play against the other teams number one line and pitch in and a 4th line for 4-6 minutes and to provide energy...

gone are the days of each team having a clear cut "Number 1 Line"

What happen to the big news at 2:30pm?

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry guy about spelling ii was just joking.You might think Darcy Hordichuk will not play on second line.You will see when the new season starts.Two goals or not he will be the man, to protect the kid.Kid is not going to play on the first line.They need a Carcello type of a guy with twins,they will get the points.On Second line Wellwood and Hodgson will get the points Hordichuk is needed to protect them.Third line is the best in the west.And you will see Pyatt on the fourth line if he does not pick his game way up.That is the true reason why Nasland left.
You just hold on a bit, back line will be way bigger and tougher in short time.Hard workibng plumber does not does not cut it as a capitan .Burrows is the man, and he also speaks both Inglish and French.You will see Bolduc in the lineup this year, posibly with third line.He can play the game and he can hold his own.
There is no way Sundin is comming here.He will be back in Toronto nine out of ten or he will go to Rangers.We will be bigger and tougher club then last year.Hordichuk will score fifteen goals next season.Carcello will score fifteen and we will make in to cup play down.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry guy about spelling ii was just joking.You might think Darcy Hordichuk will not play on second line.You will see when the new season starts.Two goals or not he will be the man, to protect the kid.Kid is not going to play on the first line.They need a Carcello type of a guy with twins,they will get the points.On Second line Wellwood and Hodgson will get the points Hordichuk is needed to protect them.Third line is the best in the west.And you will see Pyatt on the fourth line if he does not pick his game way up.That is the true reason why Nasland left.
You just hold on a bit, back line will be way bigger and tougher in short time.Hard workibng plumber does not does not cut it as a capitan .Burrows is the man, and he also speaks both Inglish and French.You will see Bolduc in the lineup this year, posibly with third line.He can play the game and he can hold his own.
There is no way Sundin is comming here.He will be back in Toronto nine out of ten or he will go to Rangers.We will be bigger and tougher club then last year.Hordichuk will score fifteen goals next season.Carcello will score fifteen and we will make in to cup play down.

I need some advil:(

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

So i lost all the blood possible from my eyes reading this waste of space's postes earlier, so I could actually read this one and decipher it....

Here goes:

Darcy Hordichuk is a career 4th line fighter and energy guy. If he plays on the second line and/or scores more than ten goals I will buy you a steak dinner Mr. Base, and a set of Hooked on Phonics cd's, heck, I'll through in some DVD's and Workbooks too!

Carcillo is a goon that can skate a little bit, but if Gretz and the Yotes aren't moving him...He is a third liner at best, and his skull is almost as thick as yours Mr. Base.

Hodgson is going to make the team this year!? Oh Really...If he does, that would be fantastic because since Trevor Linden only one other Canuck first rounder has made the team straight out of the draft...Petr Nedved...so if he makes the team, and sticks around for more than 9 games (where he then loses his ability to return to Junion and thereby turns 'pro') than he is truly a gem, or the Canucks are truly in shite.

Naslund left because of Taylor Pyatt!? Perhaps his leaving had to do with the fact that the Rangers are willing to pay the Swedish Meatball 4 mill a year when he has won nothing, zero, sum total of fcuk all plus fcuk all is fcuk all.
He never won anything at MoDo, Never with Sweden at the WJHC, never at the Worlds, or Olympics, He never won anything with the Pens, and subsequently won three playoff series with the Canucks during his run here...

Alex Bolduc is going to do what!? Play on the third line and hold his own!? He hasn't seen ONE minute of NHL hockey in his entire career.

And if you are intimating that Alex Burrows should be our captain...well:rolleyes:

Can you just leave now...please...pretty please...

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry if you do not agree.But it is not easy to get the guys you think should be here.
To play against Ducks,Edmonton,Dalas and Calgary this year you will need a goon or two.We head nice guys last year look where it got Nonis and the club.
Size and speed and toughness was the factor.We were geting pushed around.Gillis made an ofer to onother guy today.Six foot three inch two hundred and twenty.Does that tell you something.He knows the club is far to small.
Nine out of ten Mason Reman will be on twins line but just the same we need a guy like Castello.Grets has spent most of his money, he will not be able to stop Gillis from taking the guy.I say Morison and Bieksa and a second round draft next year for Bomiste.Insalts do not work on me nor will i send few back.Cheers from Comercil drive.
After all Aqulinni's love Comercial drive.We say pomidor,you say tomato.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
thak yu mrbas i now no that I am noo longer the worste spellere on tpp.

Mr. Gillis is going to get his man, I just don't think it is going to be an un-restricted player. He is going after a restricted free-agent that could be very risky.
From the PNE Collessie.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay nothing more on taxes or why they own Canadian franchises.

Let me understand this. Gillis comes to town blathering with his big talk about Canucks not drafting well and Vigneault being given a sub-standard team to coach and his brilliant move to get Bernier at a decent price involved a trade that gives up TWO draft picks as opposed to one pick and maybe overpaying the guy via an offer sheet? How can you have it both ways? How does that improve things when it comes to the draft????? If the guy hadn't made these other claims, then I can see how this trade makes sense.

It is no wonder that it is only Tony Gallagher and some TV bozos who are defending the new guy. I liked the articles in The Province by he and Ian McIntyre who actually lists Steve Bernier as an option. Check that out at Canada.com.

Sundin ain't coming and never was. Read his agent's statement just out about money for Sundin being just a "benchmark" and how he is happy with the money he has made and how money is not a driver - unlike say Messier who was clearly more motivated by the money to come to Vancouver than the reality. If it is true that Sundin has not spoke to Naslund on this, then it's even further and more proof that he is mulling retirement very seriously or thinking of another eastern based team with less travel.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sundin ain't coming and never was. Read his agent's statement just out about money for Sundin being just a "benchmark" and how he is happy with the money he has made and how money is not a driver - unlike say Messier who was clearly more motivated by the money to come to Vancouver than the reality. If it is true that Sundin has not spoke to Naslund on this, then it's even further and more proof that he is mulling retirement very seriously or thinking of another eastern based team with less travel.

I don't know if he's coming or not, but think out this...if anyone has the inside scoop on Naslund, it is Sundin. Reccos, do you think the Captain of championship Swedish teams has a bit of an opinion on a fellow countryman who wouldn't know what it takes to win a major championship if it hit him in the face?

Why would Naslund be motivation for Sundin to come here? Naslund's best years are way behind him, and besides, Gillis didn't even offer him a contract. He has been on the phone in direct contact w/ Sundin. Think about it. Don't you think if Sundin said, "You need to sign Naslund", he would have?

Naslund leaving Vancouver is a good thing.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
a stipilation in the sundin contract offer has him still getting payed in year 2 even if he retires after the first year....... counting against the 09-10 salary cap (E3)

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Naslund leaving Vancouver is a good thing.
That will be true...if we can get something to show that we are taking steps forward...or...taking steps backward to rebuild!!!

Hell...stepping in any fricken direction would be something!!!

It's begining to look like Maple Leaf West!!!!!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0