Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [FVSL D1] Results & Banter - December 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, I did. Post #2. Said I was waiting for JBN to post the rule on a professional foul.

Actually, you mention professional foul well after the fact and it only comes up after both you and Dude go on about some hazy 'rule' associated with the phrases 'last man back' and 'breakaway'.

First you said,"That said, game changes when your last man back takes Jamie out on his breakaway. Should have been a red, ref admitted after the game he didn't know that was a rule."

Then Dude where's my inside voice said," On a side note...how can he not know the rule? He had a FIFA badge."

Then you said,"I really have no idea how he couldn't know that rule, and was as surprised as anyone when he admitted it."

Finally after all that, in order to cover up the fact that you don't know what you're talking about, you make a half-hearted stab at a piss-take criticizing JBN's pedantry while indulging in excuse after excuse for why you were only just now getting around to explaining yourself, by saying,"Works been very busy, can't TTP at work anymore. Plus I was waiting for JBN to paste the direct part of the referee's handbook on professional fouls."

Neither the last man back rule, nor the professional foul rule exist in any rule book or set of laws of the game.

I pity the poor ref who has to officiate any of your games. He must have to deal with players asking him if he is familiar with the "non-goalie player touching the ball with his hands rule" or "twisty-hips throw-in rule" or the "put a name on it rule" or the "unlimited subs rule", oh wait a minute, they're allowed to do that in the Valley aren't they?

At the risk of being pedantic, here's the rules as they pertain to your situation.

Sending-off Offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he

• denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent
moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a
free kick or a penalty kick

Cautions for unsporting behaviour
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned
for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:

• commits a foul for the tactical purpose of interfering with or breaking
up a promising attack

Denying a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity

There are two sending-off offences that deal with denying an opponent
an obvious opportunity to score a goal. It is not necessary for the offence
to occur inside the penalty area.
If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity and a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s
handling the ball or fouling an opponent, the player cannot be sent
off but he may still be cautioned.
Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding
whether to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring
opportunity:
• the distance between the offence and the goal
• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• the direction of the play
• the location and number of defenders
• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring
opportunity may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an
indirect free kick

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for that Jinky, I for one appreciate Stall and Dude getting me off your radar ;)

~Six Of One/Half Dozen...

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, that's what I figured.

Did it cross anybody's mind (a short trip for those concerned I know) that it was interesting how a FIFA ref called such an otherwise excellent game, failing only to apply the mythical 'last man back' rule?

Or did everyone other than these two FVSL stalwarts fail to get their personal correspondence from Josepp Blatter via special FIFA carrier pigeon informing them of the 'rule change'?

Stop bogarting the FIFA rule change pigeon guys, the rest of us feel so left out.

those words have never been said before in that order and I claim my $5 prize.

hmmm i have always thought it existed but could be wrong, i copied this report right off the fifa website about spain and usa in the u17 game.

FIFA.com
Spain staged a remarkable recovery to come back from a man and a goal down to defeat USA 2-1 in Kano. The match couldn't have commenced in a more harrowing fashion for the Spaniards, who were at a numerical disadvantage inside two minutes, and behind on the scoreboard within four minutes. Sergi Gomez suffered the ignominy of a red card following a last-man foul on USA striker Jack McInerney.

But then on the other hand according to the fifa laws of the game it doesn't clearly state it as the "last man rule," just as i think someone already posted denying the opposing team a goal-scoring opportunity.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But then on the other hand according to the fifa laws of the game it doesn't clearly state it as the "last man rule," just as i think someone already posted denying the opposing team a goal-scoring opportunity.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

Well that kind of illustrates my point. Even FIFA hacks are perpetuating this last man back myth. It is only one of several factors a referee must take into account when deciding whether to give out a yellow or a red.
Too many of us are ignorant of the laws of the game (offside on a throw-in?) and in this situation many believe that if the guilty party is the last defender, he should receive an automatic red-card. It simply isn't always the case.

JBN, rather than ask people to move on, why don't you split the posts in this thread pertaining to this subject and put them in a thread of their own. You are a moderator I assume?

That way the Div 1 thread can remain as pure as the Fraser Valley's women and TTP'ers who don't usually read the Div 1 thread may want to make comment on a subject which affects everyone in the game. Perhaps even a ref or two might enlighten us.

CS? Whistle Blower? Kevin 55 minute-half Uppal?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's my take (for what it's worth) as a hack player and more than casual observer...

The rules are what they are, the FIFA Laws, by simply reading them you can 99.9% of the time boil the pertinent laws down to an assumed ruling...

Player clean through (With a clear goal scoring opportunity), is brought down by the last man (Foul, whether or not last man) visa vis a foul removing the chance to complete a goal scoring opportunity.

I didn't see the play or the game in question... I have a hard time giving someone a Red card if he is "the last man" in his own half, or at centre... that being said I haven't personally seen anyone hacked down in a pro game or in a game of a decent level or even the level I attempt to play at, where a player is on a "breakaway", is hauled down, and the offender doesn't see red.

Jinky, I can't split this off to another forum as i only Moderate the FVSL and Caps forum, this should go into general football discussions...

My Humble $0.02 worth (read: worthless) on the matter of debate,

to get back on topic...

What are the Dewdney Crickets going to do vs the Caps this week other than get humped?... 6 suspended still :eek:
Sentinel vs Athletics will be a game worth watching for sure.

Gunners v Rangers maybe snowed out? calling for some snow in the L.M. for tomorrow...

Bollocks

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
4-1 Rangers over Port Moody

Well PM got one early after a rare giveaway by one of our defenders. But we got 4 off of set pieces to put them away. PM didn't seem interested in tackling and were a stifled by our defense. Thanks for the changerooms guys ... Appreciated.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quiet around here

OK, I will bite.
We were missing lots guys going into fri. game against PM. Figured we would have to make it a workers game, and that is how it turned out. Our D was solid, and the guys in front of them worked their butts off. Stoned wall came up with 2 big saves when it was 3-1.
That said, we gave PM a brilliant pass at top of 18 in first ten min...they finished well. We thought trouble was abrewin! Nope, we settled in and they scored an OG. We scored shortly after on another soft one (but they all count). We missed a late breakaway to keep a 2-1 halftime score. Second half went up 3-1 and finished a late cross to make it 4-1. All of our goals were off set pieces.
Not a fancy game for us, went in hard, defended as a team...harrassed them and were happy to take full points!!:D
MAYBE WE SHOULD PLAY FOR A TIE ALL THE TIME:rolleyes:

Injury-Prone

Sep 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
2-1 Delta Highlanders over PAU. Both teams missed sitters, Delta went up 1-0 on a cracker of a left-footed volley from 20-25 yards out. They kept coming (no sign of forming into the defensive shell that recent posts would have suggested).

We pegged one back on a great strike and went into the last 10 minutes tied. Both teams battled on a really slick turf. When our goalie rolled a ball to our defender it slipped off of his foot right to Delta's forward on the edge of the box. I tried to come from the center to challenge but was running on one leg all night and he unleashed a shot that could not have been better placed in the top corner.

Coming off of a 5 week break (thanks a lot cancellations) we showed some rust and they didn't play their best either. Pretty even match but they did one better. Would love to play them again (Packenham cup please?)

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
coyotes 1 - titans 2 .....we went up in the first half. they had a slight edge in possession maybe 45-55, but they failed to finish their chances. they got a nice header in the second half and a soft pk late in the game. could have been a sweet point we would have stolen but oh well. huge game next weekend at home against abby. def motw relegation battle.

Stepchild

Jun 3, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just took a look at last few game of season for PM
Peace Arch Utd - : - Port Moody Gunners
Port Moody Gunners - : - SFC Strikers
Sentinel FC - : - Port Moody Gunners
Port Moody Gunners - : - Whitecaps Prospects
Port Moody Gunners - : - TWU Titans
Port Moody Gunners - : - North Delta FC
Def. have a tough finish, probably the most difficult in div 1. Must be some tough sessions coming up since they have dropped 8/9 pts. Glad we got these games over with early in season.:D

TheMegr

Nov 7, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Abby 1- Grove 0. Man it was cold last night in the valley! :eek: Looking forward to playing the Coyotes next week in a game that means a lot to both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0