Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 FVSL Div. 2 results and banter: March '05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane Power

Feb 27, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
When the Coyotes put it together, they are a dangerous team. I think they've played well lately. We also tied them 1-1 in a game earliar this year in which we couldn't finish our chances by their keeper. It's not over yet though as we still need 4 of a possible 6 points to clinch. Our last game will be against the Clones and anything can happen. They played us very well last time in a game that could have been won by either team. Not to mention we play the "red-hot" Coyotes next Tuesday. We aren't taking anything for granted at this point.

Slider said:
Yeah, whatever pressure was on the Canes is now offically off. Congrat's. I wouldnt say we shite the bed against the Coyotes, that wouldnt be fair to them. They came in with seemingly little to play for and did a great job, we only had a handful of scoring chances, and their big fella in net showed some great hands. We probably shoulda put the game away but... we have no excuse, we were pretty healthy, missed just a couple bodies. One more game and a few more beers. :(

Backline16

Mar 1, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
thedude said:
...however when a team is beating another team, it is up to team that is winning team to set the tone...

Sorry, could not disagree with you more.

If you come to my home pitch, stink up the place by sucking and then start popping off cause you can't play... you get what you deserve. Antagonism is part of the game, obviously there are limits. IE: rascism, abusive language, et al... but the rules of the game stipulate a code of conduct. My point is it is incumbant on both teams to keep it about the game, not about churning a player into a rampage. But let's face it, when a player gets a reputation as being overly sensitive to verbal taunts, who among you would not use it to your advantage. Mental toughness is part of the game.

I have been accused by other players on opposing teams as having no class, because I talk alot, all game long. To my team and to the opposing team. I see it as part of my job as a stay at home defender to take the heat off the mids in front of me by painting myself as a bit of a target. I also do from the side line when I'm not in the game. I have played 22 years and never had a sending off, I play the game hard and clean.

My point is in the grand scheme of things, I don't see how a player who is running around hacking and sliding the pitch trying to hurt someone has more class than the guy who uses a surgical striking, rapier wit to gain a mental advantage.

Backline16

Mar 1, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think most of us would love to see the game played pure, but the reality is, in the heat of the moment, things get said. Especially in lower leagues. Before anyone takes a piss at me, I play in lower a lower league. That said I also stand by the value of getting in someones head, but will concede there is a time and a place for such banter. When you are already hammering the opposition, it does no real good to push for violence. I only wish refs would protect players a little more than they do, so maybe it wouldn't come to the players taking in to their own hands as a means to protect themselves. Nothing calms a game down more than a sending off.

whack

Feb 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over confidence has caused some of us to struggle, so no need to say congrats just yet, we still have two tough games to go, and anything could happen. The coyotes are a good squad, i stated last week that your guys game would be close with them, and as it will be with us. Hopefully we finish the season strong as getting promoted to div 1 was our main goal this year.

Slider said:
Yeah, whatever pressure was on the Canes is now offically off. Congrat's. I wouldnt say we shite the bed against the Coyotes, that wouldnt be fair to them. They came in with seemingly little to play for and did a great job, we only had a handful of scoring chances, and their big fella in net showed some great hands. We probably shoulda put the game away but... we have no excuse, we were pretty healthy, missed just a couple bodies. One more game and a few more beers. :(

Sheep

Nov 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some interesting stuff you guys are saying.

Does anyone know what happens when a game is abandoned? Does the winning team get the points? Does no one get the points?..... or does the game get replayed?

wolfman

Nov 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
yes, I agree.. why dont you both apologize and make up...
both teams are in the wrong...make up now... this has gone way to far!

anyone for golf?

Big T

Oct 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sheep said:
Some interesting stuff you guys are saying.

Does anyone know what happens when a game is abandoned? Does the winning team get the points? Does no one get the points?..... or does the game get replayed?

Sheep,

The winning team after 70 mins does not always get the points. Perfect example is the game between us and Whalley in the CAT div. We played 75 mins, Whalley was up 3-1 and then a brawl ensued. Both teams were fined and had bonds placed against them. The league scheduled a rematch but both teams thought that might not be best cuz of the bad blood. The league then ruled that both teams would not play the game and Whalley would get 0 points.

guru

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Backline16 said:
Antagonism is part of the game, obviously there are limits. IE: rascism, abusive language, et al... but the rules of the game stipulate a code of conduct.

I have been accused by other players on opposing teams as having no class, because I talk alot, all game long.

I don't see how a player who is running around hacking and sliding the pitch trying to hurt someone has more class than the guy who uses a surgical striking, rapier wit to gain a mental advantage.

You're wrong in so many ways... Antagonism is part of the game? ? ? Where did you come up with that? I've read alot about soccer, coaching crap and rules and regulations etc, and I've never read anything about verbal antagonism. As a matter of fact, if you bad mouth a player on the park, the ref can eject you for verbaly abusing another player, not necessarily by foul language, but by trying to encite and by poor sportsmanship. So in fact, it's NOT part of the game. If you use this as YOUR term for "part of the game" it would leave the door open to other peoples interpretation, such as "racial slurs".

Also, I didn't read anything in the post you replied to about : "....running around hacking and sliding the pitch trying to hurt someone ...". What I read was about the winning team setting the tone.

A slag in jest is one thing, but badgering just to bug someone is pathetic. Ya... that's what the game is about, pissing people off. Yer all class :rolleyes:

guru

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know who Ref'ed this game? Tigers vs Canes.

I know this topic was closed several posts ago, but the common denominator seems to be the ref letting this one get away.

Hurricane Power

Feb 27, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The ref was the older fellow Keith. He is a nice guy and a solid referee, but he was probably the wrong referee for this type of game as he is not the take charge type. I don't lay blame on him though as the Tigers really took advantage of him. I think we should just let this subject rest though as the league will deal with it tomorrow when they meet. The referee's report probably hasn't even been examined yet as it usually doesn't come in until Monday or Tuesday when something like this happens.

guru said:
Does anyone know who Ref'ed this game? Tigers vs Canes.

I know this topic was closed several posts ago, but the common denominator seems to be the ref letting this one get away.

Backline16

Mar 1, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
guru said:
You're wrong in so many ways... Antagonism is part of the game? ? ? Where did you come up with that? I've read alot about soccer, coaching crap and rules and regulations etc, and I've never read anything about verbal antagonism...:

You're right guru, you have never read anything on antagonism in sport, but that dosen't mean it dosen't happen!! Have you ever been to Professional sporting event!! Those guys are all over each other from the word go. Trash talk became part of english lexicon due to the NBA, but there no how to books... "Yes guru we have your copy of Talk Shite for Dummies"

Michael Jordon, and Larry Bird are considered to be the classiest players to ever play in the NBA. Both were lurid trash talkers.

I realize this is a soccer forum, but I have never been to england and seen a pro game so I don't have any examples good antagonists in the premier league. But didn't the BBC want to ban day time games with Audio after Rooney used nine obsenities in five seconds or something last week??

I think we may have to agree to disagree guru, I understand there are limits. Racism has no place in the game, as I stated earier. The only time players every really get singled out and really pushed is when they respond in such a way as you know they are off their game.

Last year I grew a beard and let my hair grow out a bit. We were away to GEU and I said somthing to there sideline about playing time to those who were seeing limited minutes. I got lit up, for the rest of the game they called me Sam Roberts, and were all over me. I can take it, never got upset, sure after 40 minutes of SAaaam! sAaaam! I was tired of the insults but would never respond any more, it would have made it worse! If you give it you've got to take it. Needles to say the beard came off and the hair got cut before Wed practice.

Slider

Sep 28, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You cant fairly expect Shaven to stop people from talking about this when clearly he is busy looking for a misplaced comma or maybe a : that should've been a ;
Anyways, both teams will always blame the other in a dispute like this, whatever, give the Canes their points and leave it at that.
Could it have been avoided by sterner officiating? Probably, but thats not an easy job so I dont really feel like critiquing it. From the sounds of it, nobody was badly hurt, just leave it be.

guru

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Backline16 said:
Michael Jordon, and Larry Bird are considered to be the classiest players to ever play in the NBA. Both were lurid trash talkers.

I got lit up, for the rest of the game they called me Sam Roberts,

I lost a lot of respect for Larry Bird when I'd read about his dirty tactics... he was one of the cheapest players in the league. Shirt tugging, pokeing, jabing, clicking heels etc. The trash talk is minor to that. The whole point to begin with was about class, and I don't think talking trash to someone who's losing badly is classy.

With trash talk, I'm just like you when I'm on the side as a spectator, but never as a player... and never while I'm on the park. I may get pissed at players for late tackles or something, and give them an earfull, but I don't try and get on thier nerves with comments. But people give me that crap each and everygame, mostly the age thing.... kids get so ****y and they think they get to me, but it's all in one ear and out the other. I get called "grampa" and shite constantly, the best comment to that is to strip them or skin them, then give them a look, it bugs them more than anything I could posibly think of.

As for Sam Roberts..... I'd take that as a compliment!!

Just talked to a guy here at work from the Tigers..... it was Ziggy....

Keeper #1

Dec 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bulljive & Blazay

Any coments on your big meeting with the canes. (if you and the canes win this weekend, that is). Any worries and tatics that you will try to use to defend against the Canes potent offense.

shaven

Sep 17, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
shaven said:
As for the 'canes and Tigers issue, it is an unfortunate happening to be sure. Whatever the accurate account is, I don't want to see any more banter about it after tonight until the discipline is handed out on Wednesday, assuming it gets dealt with this week. Any further posts regarding it, by anyone, occurring before the discipline will be deleted by me, no questions asked,...This is obviously a very complicated and delicate situation, and one that does not need any more fuel added to an already out-of-control fire. Use some judgement lads, so I don't have to.

It is fairly obvious that many of you don't actually read what's posted here...so, I have now exercised my judgement on related posts, and deleted them. I stated that I did not want to see any banter about the ugly incident last Sunday, and I meant it. The only allowable postings are those related to sportsmanship, class, refs controlling a game, etc., as I believe those are valid and constructive discussions. Any references to the 'canes/GEU match in particular are not, as I have stated, particularly by those who weren't even present at the match. It is antagonising a volitaile situation, and until the discipline is handed out totally unconstructive. When the discipline is determined, we can all opine on what that means, who got the brunt, etc., but as for fairness that is only something that those present at the match and involved can judge. End of it. If you don't want your post deleted, don't touch this incident.

Now onto more productive, soccer related matters...Will Hades take 2C, and will the 'canes be able to push to the 2B title over Poco, or will the Clones play spoiler against them? Who will be relegated in 2B?? Will it be the venerable Donegals, or will they push and overtake GEU in their last matches, sending the Tigers down to the depths of Div 3???

~Shaven

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you might have missed a few Shaven :D

Wolfman I am probabley a no go for the weekend....We will have to see how the rest of the week goes.

Wolves 3 Hades 2

Taking them out of Div 1 promotion....really doing them a favor because they are NO where near ready for that move :D

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
guru said:
to strip them or skin them, then give them a look, it bugs them more than anything

Afterwards do you invite them over to your basement for popsicles?

On a side note, good luck to all the teams, NDFC, Canes and Hades by the looks of it against Port Moody in the playoffs.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper #1 said:
Bulljive & Blazay

Any coments on your big meeting with the canes. (if you and the canes win this weekend, that is). Any worries and tatics that you will try to use to defend against the Canes potent offense.

I wouldn't say worries, if we had tactics I certainly wouldn't post it on here. WE are more worried about the game against the stars, we will start thinking about the Canes when we have to. one advantage we do have is we know alot more about their team then they do about ours. I'll leave it at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0