Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scottish Premier League News 2005/06

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anton Rogan said:
btw, convincing win by Rangers today. I'm sure the evil horde are pleased.

Yes, and I'm sure most of them (surprisingly) will be hoping for a Celtic win on Wednesday.........:)

Hearts are 3 points clear of the Huns now going into the split............IF Celtic win on WEdnesday.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anton Rogan,
New West
1980-present
position indoor or outdoor.
caps lots white.

My google search turned up a painter from New West.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alikira here on Bawbag's computer at school.

40 is right, RF, and 23 points is also right. :D

GIRUY. :D

Hail Hail

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Thank you Tim Bits

Rangerforever said:
Congrats to Celtic on winning the SPL.

How many titles is that now?

40 something?

;)

As usual, RF, the only one to muster up enough class to congratulate the champions. :)

Stand up for the champions please........

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am fcuking standing, ya bawbag. Always having a go aren't ya.

Would have sent a congratulatory note yesterday. However, I was to busy trying to jump off the roof.

Congratulations to Celtic. But you're one star behind us. So, GIRUY

Buckfast

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting article

Celtic chief wants Arsenal defeat

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell would prefer Arsenal not to win the Champions League this season.
A victory for the English side or Villarreal could force Celtic to qualify for next term's group stages.

And Lawwell told BBC Sport: "We'll only be there if this year's winners qualify directly from their league.

"We'll be cheering on Barcelona or AC Milan as they look like qualifying. Hopefully, that won't annoy Arsenal, but we have to be self-centred."

If the current domestic situation stays the same, Celtic will profit if Barcelona or AC Milan lift the trophy in Paris on 17 May.

Barca are currently 11 points clear of Real Madrid in Spain's Primera Liga, while Milan are nine points adrift of leaders Juventus and two points clear of Inter Milan in Italy's Serie A.

Celtic won the Scottish title on Wednesday with six games of the season still remaining after a 1-0 victory over Hearts.

But Lawwell stresses that he expects a greater challenge from the Edinburgh club, boosted by the financial backing of Russian owner Vladimir Romanov, and Rangers, who will give incoming boss Paul Le Guen money to reshape Celtic's Glasgow rivals.

And the chief executive points out that direct qualification for the Champions League would give manager Gordon Strachan greater flexibility in the transfer market during the summer.

"It was a great, great feeling to regain the championship, especially to finish it so early," he said.

"But we understand what's happening at Hearts and we understand what's happening at Rangers.

"So we'll strengthen in the summer as we know we have to get better."

Hibernian defender Gary Caldwell and Scotland colleague Kenny Miller, the Wolverhampton Wanderers striker, have already signed pre-contract agreements to join Celtic at the end of the season.

And Strachan has expressed his desire to complete any additions to his squad before the summer's World Cup finals.

But Lawwell said: "That is the goal. How realistic it is depends on the availability of players. But, if it takes longer, it takes longer.

"Our priority will be to have a squad capable of retaining the title and doing even better domestically.

"And, if we have got into the Champions League group stages, we want to give a good account of ourselves."

Lawwell said that talks were ongoing with veteran midfielder Neil Lennon and he expected young forward Shaun Maloney to sign a new deal.

Striker John Hartson, who has had problems in his personal life, has hinted that he could leave, while veteran midfielder Roy Keane has questioned whether injuries will allow him to continue next season.

But Lawwell said: "We had a bid for John in January and we said he wasn't going and John didn't want to go.

"We will sit down with John and his representatives in the next couple of months.

"Roy has got another year to go. There has been a lot of speculation around that, but we're hopeful.

"He appears to be enjoying it. He loves the club and he enjoys being around here."

I had no idea about Scotland being bumped in the CL if a non-qualifier wins it, ie Arsenal or Villareal possibly, and had no idea about Gary Caldwell and Kenny Miller going to Celtic.

Cnuts...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A few brilliant goals today by the 2006 Champions. Nakamura had a fantastic game and treated the fans to two great goals. The defense was a little suspsect with Varga/McManus/Telfer(can't see why that ****er plays at all let alone every ****ing game) and Wilson who was the only consistent defender today. Marshall was in net and looked shaky at times but made one amazing save when it was 2 - 0.......

Stand up for the champions and in the race for second spot, both teams won so there is no change. They play each other the last game of the season and that could determine the CL berth......

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some good stuff from the Hun media at the start of the season..

:)

This is a good read that shows just HOW FAR OFF one can be with blue tinted glasses. ;) :D

The Express: Eck will tighten his grip
Express, The (London, England)
July 29, 2005
Author: CHARLIE NICHOLAS
Estimated printed pages: 3

RANGERS for the league championship and I'm not basing that forecast on Celtic's Euro humiliation in Bratislava. I made up my mind Alex McLeish would get the better of his old Aberdeen and Scotland mate Gordon Strachan to keep hold of the crown two weeks ago when I took time out on holiday to put the SPL in focus.

And the gap on prize-giving day could be several points. It will certainly be more than the slender winning lead Celtic handed to Rangers on the final day of last season.
I still don't rate Big Eck's side as world-beaters, or capable of making a serious impact on Europe, but they will be too strong both mentally and physically for Celtic.

Today, Gordon finds himself in the same position Alex was in only a few months ago seemingly unwanted and pondering about his future.

And that's after only one game in charge of the Celts!

I have little doubt Alex would have been on his way if chairman David Murray had persuaded Graeme Souness to return to Ibrox.

Alex appeared to be in an impossible position, with a stop-go, patched-up side trying desperately to hang on to Celtic's coat-tails.

McLeish is made of stern stuff, though, and turned Rangers around through sheer grit and determination. He was well rewarded.

Now I have been far more impressed with McLeish's signings when compared directly with the players Strachan has recruited for Celtic.

Huge question marks hang over every single new Celt, even Japanese Bhoy Shunsuke Nakamura.

And, right now, the likes of Paul Telfer, Mo Camara, Jeremie Aliadiere and Maciej Zurawski are not Celtic class. They may be in time, of course, but on the other hand, they may not.

Zurawski rejoices in the nick-name of Magic and he showed in Bratislava how he could disappear - just like that.

McLeish identified the players he wanted and went out and nailed them.

Frankly, I like the look of Rangers new boys Jose Pierre-Fanfan and Federico Nieto, while Brahim Hemdani could be the perfect midfield partner for new skipper Barry Ferguson.

And we all know the capabilities of Ian Murray, now he has left Easter Road for Ibrox.

Provided By: Financial Times Information Limited
Industry Group: Arts Entertainment & Recreation; Spectator Sports; Sports Teams & Clubs
Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved.
Record Number: A2005072912-8ACA-EIW,0,XML,EIW

The Express: EXPRESS SPORT'S TOP TEAM MAKE THEIR PREDICTIONS
Express, The (London, England)
July 29, 2005
ANDY McINNES CHAMPIONS: If Rangers can steal the title by default from Celtic last time, then with the same luck and added quality they can wash the floor with them this season.

JIMMcLEAN CHAMPIONS: Rangers will edge out Celtic. Alex McLeish's side look better equipped in terms of quality of player, allied to more strength in depth.

GARY KEOWN CHAMPIONS: Rangers. Ibrox boss Alex McLeish rebuilt the core of his team last season and that element of continuity should give his team the edge over Celtic.

GRAHAM CLARK CHAMPIONS: Rangers. The Ibrox side look for the first time in ages to be the slightly better equipped of the Old Firm and new signing Jose Pierre-Fanfan looks the part.

Company Name: Rangers Football Club PLC
Record Number: A2005072914-8ACA-EIW,0,XML,EIW

The Daily Record: Spread betting: Rangers stick-on for glory
Daily Record, The (Glasgow, Scotland)
July 30, 2005
Author: SAM SPREAD (COLIN DUNCAN)
Estimated printed pages: 1

RANGERS have yet to kick a competitive ball in anger but Celtic's Euro shocker has handed them a huge boost ahead of the start of the SPL campaign.

Throw into the mix what happened on the final day of last season at Fir Park and it will take something special for Celtic's ageing side to recover sufficiently to mount a serious title challenge.
Punters have been piling into Rangers to retain their crown after Celtic's 5-0 hammering against Artmedia and they are now 4-6 on the fixed odds.

However, Rangers still represent decent value on the spreads.

Alex McLeish appears to have a much stronger squad than his former Aberdeen team-mate Gordon Strachan - and there is the promise of two more new signings.

Injury to Chris Sutton, arguably Celtic's best player, is another blow for Strachan and all the more reason for backing Rangers.

Sporting have an Old Firm title index which offers 10 points for the champions and a further three points for every point either team finishes clear of their rivals.

Buy Rangers at 12 with the Ibrox men needing to finish a point in front of Celtic next May to be in profit. I think the margin of victory will be a lot more than that.

Tomorrow buy Gers supremacy at 2.2
Record Number: A2005073057-8AEA-EIW,0,XML,EIW

The Daily Record: Football: RANGERS
Daily Record, The (Glasgow, Scotland)
July 30, 2005
Author: Jim McLean

AFTER Celtic's flop in Europe, I can say with certainty that Rangers will end the season with another SPL crown.

Judging by the way Celtic went about their business against Artmedia Bratislava, you'd take the Ibrox men to win it at a canter.
But I don't expect Gordon Strachan's team to play as badly again and if they improve the championship could still be close.

The biggest problem at Parkhead is the lack of spirit and the vibes coming from there have been negative all summer.

On top of that, Rangers look far stronger than 12 months ago so I definitely can't see past Alex McLeish and his players.

We look like having a competitive top flight and I don't believe Hearts and Hibs will be fighting out a two-way battle for third place.

Dundee United will be there or thereabouts and Aberdeen are also capable of claiming third spot - but I'm not sure we're going to be watching a lot of brilliant games.

Only Rangers and Dundee United have impressed me with what they've done in the transfer market and I can't claim to be smacking my lips in anticipation1st - Rangers. Definitely. McLeish's signings since January have been excellent and getting Barry Ferguson back has given them a boost.They may have won a watch with Jose Pierre-Fanfan, who could turn out to be as good as Jean-Alain Boumsong.

Even before I watched Celtic on Wednesday I fancied Rangers to win the title but now I'm sure of it2nd - Celtic.

Record Number: A2005073035-8AEB-EIW,0,XML,EIW

Evening Times: WHAT OUR EXPERTS SAY
Evening Times (Glasgow, Scotland)
July 30, 2005

ALAN DAVIDSON

Champions: Rangers Alex McLeish's side have the strength and experience to retain the title, while Celtic's chemistry is yet to be established.

DARRELL KING

Champions: Rangers Eight of the players who won the title at Easter Road are likely to start tomorrow, so the spine is there and confidence can only have grown.

MATTHEW LINDSAY

Champions: Rangers. New Celtic boss Gordon Strachan's summer acquisitions look to fall some way below the high standard needed at the Parkhead club.

ALISON McCONNELL

Champions: Rangers There is actually very little between Celtic and Rangers, but Celtic's tendency to selfdestruct could be costly.

BERT MITCHELL

Champions: Rangers Big Eck has utilised the Bosman market to bring performers of proven Euro pedigree to Ibrox and, while that is no guarantee of success, it represents ace against king value when compared to Coca-Cola championship plundering.

Record Number: A200508013B-8B19-EIW,0,XML,EIW

The Racing Post: FOOTBALL: GET SET FOR TITLE ROMP
Racing Post, The (England)
July 30, 2005
Author: Stuart Carruthers

RANGERS have a great chance to end the sequence of alternating champions in the SPL - and they could really turn this season's title race into a procession, writes Stuart Carruthers. While the Gers won the league last season only because of Celtic's selfdestruction in the final two minutes of the campaign, they are fast progressing forward while the Bhoys have hit reverse.

The side Alex McLeish put together last summer was always going to take time to bed together and they started so badly that they almost cost Big Eck his job.
But they turned things around and, following some more shrewd signings in the close season, the power in Glasgow has surely switched to the West End of the city.

Brahim Hemdani and Jose PierreFanfan have moved from France, Ian Murray has joined from Hibernian and the Gers have also snapped up promising young striker Federico Nieto from Argentinian club Almagro. . .

While Rangers have moved forward over the summer, Celtic are going through a transition period and have taken a massive leap backwards.

It would be no surprise to see the Gers do what the Bhoys did to them two years ago and win the league by a massive margin.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair makes one wonder about the definition of "less contentious," doesn't it?

Somehow, I don't think that "Fenian bastards" was quite what they had in mind, though. Just call it a hunch....:D

Trece

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: UEFA ruling

I have to be honest.

The Billy Boys is probably my favourite Rangers song.
To me the fact that we're 'up to our knees in Fenian blood' has everything to do with sectarianism but it doesn't offend me personally.
I don't know why.
For some reason the historical conflict between Rangers and Celtic and that religion was (and still is I guess) a big part of it adds to the atmosphere for me.
Sorry, I guess I'm twisted that way.
It's a catchy tune and I like it.
I have goose bumps remembering watching Rangers beat Aberdeen in a League Cup final one year with McCoist stuffing one in the 90th minute to win it.
To see about 70,000 faithful in a sold out Hampden sing it and throw their fists in the air in unison to the song was a thing of beauty to me.
We were playing the Sheep Shaggers not Celtic.
They're not Catholics, they're fcuking Sheep Shaggers. ;)
Religion had nothing to do with it.

I gotta tell you also.
I love 'The Sash my Father wore' too.
It could be my second favourite. :D

ChristianForever

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: UEFA ruling

Rangerforever said:
I have to be honest.

The Billy Boys is probably my favourite Rangers song.
To me the fact that we're 'up to our knees in Fenian blood' has everything to do with sectarianism but it doesn't offend me personally.
I don't know why.
For some reason the historical conflict between Rangers and Celtic and that religion was (and still is I guess) a big part of it adds to the atmosphere for me.
Sorry, I guess I'm twisted that way.
It's a catchy tune and I like it.
I have goose bumps remembering watching Rangers beat Aberdeen in a League Cup final one year with McCoist stuffing one in the 90th minute to win it.
To see about 70,000 faithful in a sold out Hampden sing it and throw their fists in the air in unison to the song was a thing of beauty to me.
We were playing the Sheep Shaggers not Celtic.
They're not Catholics, they're fcuking Sheep Shaggers. ;)
Religion had nothing to do with it.

I gotta tell you also.
I love 'The Sash my Father wore' too.
It could be my second favourite. :D

ChristianForever

Aye a thing of beauty. "Up to our knees " and all that stuff. Interesting at what UEFA said about not charging them. See the SPL and government...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4907724.stm

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness said:
Loathing is something I just cannot grasp?!

Follow, Follow.

Apparently posting something significant is something you can't grasp either.

Huns 1 Aberdeen 1

Hearts 2 Killie 0

5 points out of second Loyal

Congratulations to the Celtic U-19 team which clinched the league AGAIN yesterday. Murray Park conveyor belt of talent continues to pay dividends.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0