Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The World Scene

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hargreaves is in today. Lots of subs at the half, but no mention that Hargreaves came out.

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Final Holland 2 England 0. Sounds as though the game was far more lopsided than just two. I hope the Dutch can build upon this result and dispose of the Irish just as handily.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
While Martyn, 35, would not go so far as to suggest his rival [Seaman] is too old, he feels tonight's friendly against Holland represents his opportunity to make an unanswerable case to be in goal in Germany next month.
After allowing 2 goals within 1 minute today, who would you come back with against Germany? Granted, it's just over 2 weeks away (enough time to forget about todays loss), but honestly, does England have a real number 1?

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For a guy who can't play the position....

Keeper,

Although we agree to disagree on the quality of Plant of the Apes, I think you may be onto something here.

At this time, England's keepers look either too young or too old.

Seamen is finished, there is no doubt about. Comes up with the spectacular from time-to-time but lets in his fair share of softies.

Martyn is certainly capable and has made many a "Gordon Banks" type save, but is suspect on his handling. Like on van Nistlerooy's goal tonight.

David "Calamity" James. How can a guy whose nickname is "calamity" have a shot at being the number one.

Richard Wright. The guy who ran Craig Forrest out of Ipswich has plenty of potential, but lacks international experience.

Paul Robinson. Like Wright, plenty of potential but even less experience.

First the first time, maybe Scotland's goalkeepers are better. So stick it up your arse, Jimmy Hill.
:D

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OLD Keepers

I feel that Seaman still has the ability to lead the English squad in goal, just as Peter Schilton(sp.) did 11 years ago when he was 40 in goal in the 1990 World Cup.

A keeper with International experiance is far more valuable than a young exciting keeper with none.

Even though the older keeper may not still have the athletic ability.

How took over for Schilton in goal for England when he retired.
And,
Does anyone know the average age for starting national team keepers in Europe.

HOS~:confused:

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sullivan better than all of them

Biased?

Probably, as he plays for my beloved Tottenham, but Neil Sullivan is better than all of the above mentioned.

Seaman is all washed-up (sorry, couldn't resist); James is just shite, Martyn is to old and seems to be shaky when out for England.

It's got to be Richard Wright, even though he's joined the scum now at Highbury. He lacks experience at international level, but he'll have to get it sometime.

Sully is top drawer though!

Daz

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

I believe Chris Woods took over for Shilton.

Using Shilton as an example of over-aged greats is a lowfty benchmark. I guess the same could be said about Dino Zoff, but these guys were an exception to the rule. Can you name another +40 year old keeper who was still considered "world class"?

Daz,

Finally you are talking sense. Nice.;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of Spurs...

TalkSports had a radio interview with American Kasey Keller this morning. Apparently he has signed with Spurs.

What do think about that Daz?

~TB.

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't think Martyn played that poorly. In fact, without him the line at the half could have been 4-nil. Did he mishandle the Zenden effort? Tough call. It was a laser, and those are hell to manage, let alone hang on to. Hell the Captain can't catch a muffin tossed to him form his daughter. Martyn probably shouldn't have tried to control it, especially since he deposited at Ruud's feet, but that is an easy judgement from the cheapseats.

Reality... England showed no sign they were going to try for goal anyway, except went Davids sent Owen in all alone in the closing minutes. More reality, the Dutch shouldn't be to pleased as they were clearly playing England's B squad. Hopefully it will boost the Dutch confidence heading into Ireland and I hope the Irish confidence is waning a bit after shitting the bed with 10 minutes to play and up 2- cob. And I hope the English were able to iron out some question marks marks because I sure as hell don't want a German victory next month.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wonderful result

CD,

It couldn't have been a better script for the match, particularly from a betting stand point. Fantastic really.

I knew the Dutch would thump England. They are far superior and it would be a shame if England actually made the World Cup and Holland didn't. But, the Irish have to get in there some how.:)

I think Ireland knew I needed a tie for that big payout........

Yours in international football,

Captain.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captian,

What's funny is the thought of you jumping in the air and screaming, "Yeaahhh!", after Davor Suker slotted the PK and broke the homeside's fans hearts....:D

Btw, I'm having trouble logging on to Will Hill...how's your connection?

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Neil Sullivan

Regs,

I think the signing of Keller is good. He's only 31 and although he intends to compete with Sully, he will really be there for back up.

They tried to sign a few others as back up but nobody fancied their luck against our Scottish gem. Keller is pretty experienced having just come back from a couple of years in the Spanish League, as well as being with Leicester and Milwall for a good few years in England. And obviously US International exposure.

He should have been the starter in 1994 for the US over that ponce Tony Meola. What a joke that was!

All round, I'm very impressed with The Hod's summer rebuilding. I think Poyet will be on fire if he can avoid injuries and Ziege will be hungry to get back into the German WC 2002 squad. Then there's Sheringham who, at 35, is in awesome shape and probably has 2 or 3 years left in him.

Looking forward to Saturday's opening double header on Sportsnet.

Daz

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Poor

CD,

The connection has been piss poor. I am trying to get my NAP in at the 3:55 at Salisbury (Surprise Encounter - which will probably be a 3rd favorite) and haven't been able to do so. I am only going to put $25 on it to make it 5 in a row. Crap, wrong thread. I'll finish the rest over there.

Yours in hating the New York Mets,

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually.....

CD,

I didn't see or hear the score until I came home and noticed that my account had increased substantially. So I didn't cheer when Davor scored but I did when I saw my account. :)

Captain

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From Uefa.Com:
. . . while Germany beat Hungary 5-2 in a match to celebrate the Hungarian Football Federation's centenary.
I wonder what Hungary was doing to celebrate.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Super Cup: Liverpool 3 - 2 Bayern Munich

The European Super Cup, played out on neutral territory in Monaco between the Champions' League and Uefa Cup winners of the previous season, is the only club trophy available to Bayern that they have yet to win. And on Friday evening, in a sparsely attended game in the tiny principality's Louis II stadium, the trophy eluded Bayern once again as a powerful Liverpool side secured a narrow 3-2 victory over the German champions.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see it -- I heard from Number 2 that he and a few others saw it at Penny Lane or Hippo's. He said it was a good game: Liverpool went up by 3 and Bayern battled back to make it close. Perhaps he'll comment . . .

max blink

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
locations for Germany vs. England?

Can anyone out there suggest a good place to see the Germany vs. England game on Saturday morning/afternoon (preferably a neutral location)?

max

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0