Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters Div 2] Results & Banter 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [VMSL Masters Div 2] Results & Banter September 2009

Westside Rangers 7 or 8 New West Reds 1

Well, apparently I got the short straw......

Not sure what impact this will have on the rest of the season, but rest assured we won't be overconfident in the next one.

Thnaks for taking on the burden of this behemoth; I just puked a bit in my mouth reading it, so I can't imagine how it was to write it.....

No doubt that the best team out there won the game, but we didn't do too much to get in their way either.

We'll be okay after this and should return to the way we can play....just have to chalk this one up to "lessons learned"

Trece - It looks from the scoreline like it was a squeaker; one too many crossbars?

Peter: what was the story with the 'dogs?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Azzurri:

A squeaker, but no crossbars. No finish, either, unless you count the stack of empties we donated to our local kids' committee at Casa Trece.:rolleyes:

Very sloppy, ugly soccer. We got the first one on a ball that skipped past about 4 of their players from about 35 yards out. It barely made it to the net, but somehow managed to elude their keeper, so we celebrated it anyway. Hurrah, we thought, things will finally go our way. Not to be... :mad: They evened it up within 5 minutes on a collective brain fart by both of our centre backs (no, I was NOT on the field) which allowed about 4-5 stumbling pairs of ankles to flail the ball into our net. Remember when I said this was ugly?

Second half we spent most of camped out in their end of the park and once again couldn't buy a goal. A counter-attack with about 15 minutes to go had one of their otherwise invisible midfielders slide the ball into the back of our net. 2-1 CAI. I let the wrong guy take a penalty shot (again:rolleyes:) and we missed our best opportunity to salvage a tie and what was left of our shredded dignity. Their keeper (fcuk, he's big) guessed right and went to his left, and that's the way it stood. I owe Sparky an apology; he should have been taking penos since he signed with us, but the guy's so quiet nobody realized he wanted to take them.

Not many positives to take away from this one. We played like shite, lowered ourselves to the awkward style that their big guys fumble around with in the middle of the park, and our results showed it.:mad::mad::mad: Hagi had no real bearing on the course of the game even though there were a couple of his special oddities (what should have been a drop ball upfield he told our keeper to pick up and punt:confused:).

Anybody want to buy some slightly damaged players for an over 40s team? I could be selling some off soon:rolleyes:

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

WS Dogs 3-1 WS Originals

We started out ok and went up by 1 early. We had some good possession and were unlucky not to have another or two. The tide started to turn slowly but surely...they finally got the equalizer midway through the second on a great end run, another a little later and a late insurance goal to wrap it up.

They were better than us on the day and their constant pressure wore us down. We've got to compete a lot harder if we want to avenge this one on the home leg.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Altogether, a crappy weekend for the posting fools in Div 2 Masters....:(

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Crappier for some than others though...but I agree with the sentiment.

The last time we played Roma was 2 or 3 years ago and I think they beat us 5-0 or something at Clinton.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

New West Reds 3 Covercrete 4

I lost the toss this week and have to post a review of our negative result (funny how we don't have to even have a "toss" when we win, eh Behemoth?)

Well we managed to employ a similar defensive tactic as last week and spotted Covercrete a 2-0 lead. This was aided by my own ninja like wiff-kick at a clearance. I think we we can call our defensive scheme "shock-and-awe"; as in we were shocked at the speed of their attack and were cursing "awe-fcuk" as we fished the ball out of the net. We managed to trade goals once before the half and went to the sideline with a 3-1 deficit.

We had a better 2nd 45 minutes and scrapped our way back into the game. Their defender blatantly handled the ball in the box and was sent off. We notched the PK and then scored on a header as we pressed their diminshed numbers. Thye seemed to tire somewhat and we had a few opportunities to go ahead. However, they mangaed to work the ball into the corner very late in the half and scored on a cross that should have never got over. 4-3 for Covercrete.

I thought a draw would have been fair, but the soccer gods and Covercrete thought otherwise.

Our excellent start to the season and the lofty postion at the top of the table seems to have taken place a long time ago in a place far far away.:(

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

If I was inclined to predict things, I'd have predicted that a later game start and the flu bug would not be helpful for us, and I'd have been right. No starting keeper available due to work; no back up, and no back up backup. #5 choice stepped up to the task and did his best despite his chronic hammy problems. Starting 10 players (out of 21 on the roster) doesn't help, even when you're facing the Dumpster Diver and his friends in the other net.:rolleyes:

Excuses over. They were up 1-0 before our 11th player found the field, and added another one through Howie's hands (he says he couldn't see it without his glasses) before the half. Rejigged formation, and got one back after about 10 minutes of pressure. Back into their end, and threw the kitchen sink at their net, but had another scud missile chip Howie to make it 3-1. We launched another occupation of their end to the point where they had all 11 of their guys in the box, and got another one back.

Sparky took a hard clearance in the bread basket and went down, so we called for our guys to put the ball out to make sure he was okay. They did, but because Sparky had gotten back up in the meantime, Earwax didn't throw the ball back to us, but put it up to one of their own players who launched a 4th scud past Howie. Not real classy,:mad: but shite happens (a little too frequently for us). We pressed again, and got that one back, but too little too late. Final was 4-3 to Earwax. Kudos to Dougie and Tony for apologizing after the game, but it will be remembered for the rematch. Tough one to lose given the effort that our guys put in, especially in the 2nd half, but you have to make do with what you've got....

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Heard a vicious rumour that The Taterheed had signed with Earwax as well... any sightings lately?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Stew,

The Potato coming at you. Drunk and posting from Japan (Okinawa right now). In between drooling at hot Japanese chicks half my age, diving (scuba, not falling down in the eighteen) and doing a little sightseeing I just wanted to confirm the rumours. The rumours about Vinnie being a Ladyboy lover that is. As an aside, I have indeed signed with Coquitlam. Really good bunch of guys. Hopefully will get to play you guys in the second half of the season. Until then just remember, at 200ft down, you have no friends...

Dap

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [VMSL Masters Div 2] Results & Banter September/October/November 2009

Westside 2-1 Roma

It was a fine day for a game at Hillcrest: sun streaming down, warm and inviting; a bbq sitting there waiting for a post-game celebration...and I get kicked out of the game for losing my cool twice.

This is classic A.S.S. (Aging Soccerplayer Syndrome): I'm sweeping, they get a throw-in at about our 30 yard line and they start making some subs. I'm marking a guy who starts drifting to the wing and, because everyone had a man over there, I go with him. When we're about 10 yards from the sideline, the guy throws the ball in, the game is on and my guy just walks off the field. He was one of the subs.

They score 2 touches later and when I ask the ref why he allowed play to go with 12 men on the field he said it didn't affect the game (the guy was "showing" down the wing from the throw...). I said it "fcuking well did" and he gives me a yellow: 1-1.

Oh yeah, we scored a nice goal before that incident to take the lead. We then bag another on a beautiful cross and header to make it 2-1 in the second half. A little later their guy is bearing down on me 1 v 1 and he lets the ball run a little ahead. I step in and take it. He goes by me and I'm on the ground with the ball close to my feet. The guy comes back and blatantly stomps me on the ankle as my leg is stetched out. Full on lifts his boot up and comes down directly on my ankle.

The whistle blows, I get up and am incensed at this blatant act of cowardice and tell the guy what I'm going to do to him and the ref gives me a yellow (his stomp was worthy of a red) and them the free kick as I am off the field with 2 yellows.

Anyways, we hang on to win and I am not playing for at least a week I guess...

Rant over, Peter

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

...The guy comes back and blatantly stomps me on the ankle as my leg is stetched out. Full on lifts his boot up and comes down directly on my ankle.

The whistle blows, I get up and am incensed at this blatant act of cowardice and tell the guy what I'm going to do to him and the ref gives me a yellow (his stomp was worthy of a red) and them the free kick as I am off the field with 2 yellows....

Question: the stomp was worthy of a red; am I correct in assuming he didn't get it, seeing as they were awarded the free kick?

Your rant highlights a major peeve I have these days; the tendency of our fine refereeing friends to issue cards for dissent, etc., more quickly than for dangerous tackles, etc. I know that they get crap from us, but all too often, the first card is issued for someone beaking after there have been several dangerous tackles in the game:mad:

You have my sympathies Pete...missing games sucks, but at our age, it sometimes gives us a chance to heal;). At least you guys won....

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

That's correct Azzurri, the ref blew the whistle on the play (before I got up and began yapping at the cnut) but I guess it was my foul. The other guy got nothing except the free kick right in front of our net.

Oh well, I go tonight to plead my case. The same ref did the game after us and handed out 3 reds in the first half apparently. I had already left the field, feeling shame...

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Looks like Westside-Burnaby game is cancelled. Coaches just talked and the field is soaked. VMSL should have web site updated shortly.

behemoth

Dec 6, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

New West Reds 2 PCOV 3

The losing streak continues. Started out okay and scored on a bit of a lucky shot/cross (sorry Vic). Minutes later, I played the ball out to their right mid who played a perfect ball onto the head of our central defender, who proceeded to bury it in the corner 1-1 (yes, an own goal!). A few minutes after that, I watched their centre mid play an excellent give and go, then hit a screamer from 35 yards out into the top left hand corner. We battled back and scored a nice one to tie it up before the half.

In the second half, we seemed to completely forget what was successful in the first half. As a result; they had plenty of chances - and we didn't. The inevitable goal came on a great save by our keeper, then we watched them have several whacks at it before depositing it in the net.

On a personal note, for the 3rd consecutive week, I've been directly responsible for goals against. Not good enough by any standards. I tried hard - just didn't accomplish much...sigh. Know any over 40's teams looking for big, slow players?

It can only get better...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Us 4 Van U bagel

Well, so much for our perfect record. Sparky with a hat trick and our refugee from Ontario with the other. Scoreless at the half after a number of chances traded back and forth, and then Coach Trece gives the standard motivational rant. The Ontario Refugee bundles one into the net ugly style, and we go up one. For Sparky, one nicely finished, another off a penalty, and one was the result of Old Man Nadon (is he the oldest player in the league now?) making a great save off of Sparky's shot - trouble was, he wasn't in goal. Instant red for a professional foul, and goal given.

Nice job by the boys in the ugly white Parmesan cheese jerseys as we finally played up to potential. Can't say that Van U played badly, but we had their number today. Seven goals in two games says that we must be doing something right by now; about fcuking time. Onwards to next week's grudge match with the Reds, and to finally playing our way out of the basement...:rolleyes:

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Us 4 Van U bagel
..... Onwards to next week's grudge match with the Reds, and to finally playing our way out of the basement...:rolleyes:

Well done Trece......looking forward to next week tilt and getting the game in at the excellent-draining Hastings Bowl

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

New West Reds 2 PCOV 3

....The inevitable goal came on a great save by our keeper, then we watched them have several whacks at it before depositing it in the net.....

Yeah...I had a great postion to see that....from about 2 feet away.....:eek:

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Looks like a couple of upsets/disappointments:
WS Knights beat the Rangers, and the Bulldogs tie Ridge Shooters.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

The Knights beating the Rangers is an upset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0