Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters Div 2] Results & Banter 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [VMSL Masters Div 2] Results & Banter September/October/November 2009

Looks like a couple of upsets/disappointments:
WS Knights beat the Rangers....

The Knights sure have an impressive Goals Against Average....only 4 allowed in 8 games!

steve a.

Not Bright
Jun 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I would have to give big Mike the nod as the top keeper in the masters 2a for sure. He could easily be playing div 1 open , one heck of a shot blocker. Keep the momentum going good job knights.

cheers , the rattler

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Guess it's either "the nod" or "the kiss of death.":D

We made him look pretty good against us last time out; didn't really give him anything to test him with. Have to change that next time...:D

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

I can't beleive that we are already at the half way mark in the season (with the exception of the odd postponed game):eek:

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

New West Reds 2 Killarney Spurs 2

Well, Hastings Bowl lived up to its billing as the best draining pitch on the planet as it should virtually no signs of the millions of litres of rain that fell over the preceding 24 hours; Trece Verede was kind enough to open up the dressing rooms so we could stay dry for a few more minutes before the game...kudos to Trece for that :D

It was a spirited game that saw the Spurs go up 1-0 on a quality finish on a corner...even though it was a bit against the flow; the score stayed that way until the half. We equalized early in the first and started to really dominate the play. We got caught on a counterattack and their forward (sorry Trece, I don't know his name...is it Sparky?) who had been causing problems for us all game, coolly slotted a strike past our keeper after a great pass cut back from the goal line. We managed to get an equalizer after a wicked corner beat their keeper straight from the corner arc :bronco:

Final 2-2; I must say with all do respect to the Spurs, that if we could have finished even a small percentage more of our chances, we would have had achieved the result and got the three points. But that is why we play these games.

Thanks to the Spurs for a swell-contested match; I think if you guys keep up this effort, the points will be more abundant in the 2nd half of the season....

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Caribbean All-Stars 2 WS Knight 1:eek: wow....

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Azzurri:

Trece Verede
who?:confused::D

1. Nope, not Sparky. He played in the midfield, and set the play up. Robbie was the forward.
  2. both your goals were actually in the second half, not the first.
  3. your first goal came from bad marking - our outside mid didn't pick up your open guy on the back post, and that's where it came from.
  4. the wicked corner was actually a screened play as someone's fat arse:rolleyes: eclipsed the ball for our keeper until it was past him. More of a lucky break than anything else.
  5. don't really think that either team had a clear advantage in chances; you guys did have more of the play, but your big guy couldn't get close enough to get a proper sniff, and Robbie missed a clear sitter in the 2nd half that should have also put it away for us. Basically neither team really finished well with the exception of Al's first half goal; that was a beauty.
Both teams were missing offensively-minded players today (hey, Warren can offend just about anybody:D), so a game with full rosters would have been very interesting.

Things are finally starting to point in the right direction for us. Hopefully we can climb out of the basement a bit faster.

Trece

ps - according to the Most Excellent Site, Caribbean beat Rangers, not Knights.:D

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Caribbean All-Stars 2 WS Knight 1:eek: wow....

They played the Rangers not the Knights. Aren't the Rangers the ones who thought they were upset last weekend by losing to the Knights? :)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

That would be the same teams, although Freddy was the individual who posted that it was an upset. Not sure which of the 57 Westside teams he's playing for this week...

Anyone see this game?

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

He's playing for the one that lost 2-0 to Surrey :(

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Trece, we prefer to be called the "Originals". Freddy plays with us but we go by that name, not our vintage.

The Knights were the only Westside team to not drop all the points. It's tightening up all over and I'm not just talking short/shirt-size.

Trickster

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money

All-Stars 2 Rangers 1

All Stars 2 chances, 2 goals. Rangers umpteen chances and couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards, except the 1, that was from a penalty.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

....[*]the wicked corner was actually a screened play as someone's fat arse:rolleyes: eclipsed the ball for our keeper until it was past him. More of a lucky break than anything else....

Looked wicked from my position at the corner arc:D

And please accept the most humblest apologies for the errors in the post....I was in a hurry to get it out in between halves of the PVRd Lions game:)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Cracovia 2 Us 1

What happens when a good ref doesn't have a good game?

I am not intending to blame the result on the ref. Us not finishing enough chances had at least as much of a bearing on the game if not more. It's just frustrating when you see a ref you know come out to your game and you're thinking "great! We've got one of the good ones," and he has a stinker.

For the most part, very well-played at high pace with a lot of intensity, even for old farts like us. We scored about 3 minutes after the opening kickoff, and set them back on their heels. They evened it up right before the half on a missed offside that saw their striker about a hash mark and a half behind our sweeper before the ball was kicked to him. Winning goal was scored with about a minute left in the game, as our keeper made a great initial save but none of our guys could get to the rebound in time to prevent their guy from having a free one.

The bad stuff: our striker was mugged from behind in their box while on a break towards the net - no call. Still feel this should have been a penalty, but not given. There were a large number of extremely tenuous advantages given (both ways) when players rode through tackles that resulted in nothing developing except bruises. Most bizarre: Cracovia have a guy who consistently took one-handed throw-ins, but never got called for it. Basically a whole laundry list of odd or missed calls that didn't reflect well on the skill and experience of the man in the middle, and the game suffered as a result.

All I can say is that I hope he does better in his next outing. We will try to as well.

Good luck to all who actually get to play tomorrow.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

New West Reds Zip/Nada/Nil Van Utd 4

I see that our match was the only Div 2 Masters' game to not be postponed thanks to a good-draining turf pitch at Andy Livingstone and a decent weather on Sunday.....tunred out that was a bad thing

The game was a fairly well matched afair in the 1st half that ended in a 0-0 draw. Van U upped the pressure in the 2nd half and got a goal on a lcuky break as a shot deflected of a defender's foot and dropped under the bar. We really lost our steam and gave up a 2nd one shortly thereafter. The wagon ride got extremely bumpy and ground to a halt as all the wheels fell off our team's wagon in the last 10 minutes as we gave up two more.

I beleive the frustration of our biploar-like season is taking a toll....

First 5 games : 4 W 0L 1D
Last 5 games: 0W 4L 1 D

It's a tough way to have a .500 record....

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Knights vs. Ajax - Postponed.

Our game was postponed at game time. Both teams ready. Lots of players, lots of wind, lots of cold, lots of frozen turf, which apparently is why the ref called it off. Some say, he might have had other arrangements. all I know is we had a couple of hours gained without the mrs....

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Hey No. 2, same issue for us - DeRangers vs. Spurz PPD as well due to frozen pitch. Some of our guys asked the ref if he could just start the game half an hour later, and he declined:

"there might be another game scheduled after this one."

Us: "Are you kidding? This is Quilchena. Nobody else would play here."

Ref: "Okay, how do you know that I don't have a hot date after this?"

Us: "Because we know you too well..."

As No. 2 knows too well, there is no way that Dieter would have a hot date at noon on a Sunday...yes, that Dieter.:D

Nice quiet late morning in the park with nearly-chilled carbonated hop-based beverages with no game. Anybody actually get to play?

colemanj

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Us Old Timers actually got to play, up on old Kilmer skating rink even. Croatia v Columbus tilt, there was no way the ref could say no... years of Willingdon experience to call on, so easy peasy -- seen lots worse. Cold wind though.

Two days of sunshine, magic weekend. You should have taken advantage of Saturday. See you during the break.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

... Anybody actually get to play?

We did (New West Reds), thanks to the excellent nature of your home pitch Trece (Hastings Bowl); the wind of the inlet was a touch chilly at times though.

2-2 draw with the Caribbean All-Stars was the result; we clearly outchanced them by tenfold, I would guess, but the lack of finish reared its evil head again.:mad:

Of late, we've had too many games where we didn't hang on to points we should have secured....you feel the pain of the the 1 point draws at times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0