Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Predictions, Results & Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@dezza in all seriousness, your view on the season as a whole and, given the same circumstances, would you do it again?

Individually these kids proved each and every one of them can play at the premier level. As a collective, obviously they fell short of the mark.

I don't think they deserved to go the whole season without a win. There were matches where they were definitely the better team. People may look at the stats and make statements about them, but at the end of the day they were putting the work in, showing up to training consistently and making their opposition work for the points. I think some other teams would have thrown in the towel and just forfeited games at the end.

The biggest surprise for us, at least from my perspective, was how difficult it is to recruit quality, experienced premier players when you don't already have any on your roster. I know some teams open their wallets or have special relationships with university/college coaches that push players in their direction. We had none of that. We ended up giving an amazing opportunity to a lot of young players who will be all the better for it in the future. Unfortunately that didn't translate into wins, but if even one of them ends up with a full-ride NCAA scholarship or pro contract I'd consider it a success. We could have probably built a more experienced team that would just park the bus and try to grind out results, but at the end of the day it would have still lead to relegation.

So would we do it again? Probably, but with a few lessons learned, and hopefully some solutions to complete the puzzle.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Full results from yesterday:

Inter 3-1 Pacific United
Langley 3-0 Tigers
SU 2-1 Norvan

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
5-3 Peg would have reflected the game better. Some nice goals from both teams. Agree about the man although I think if you ignore a couple of loose PK's and a silly red he did mostly okay. A pleasure to watch Jacob Lensky play. Why he isn't a starter for the Whitecaps is beyond me

Do you not know anything about Jacob Lensky and his career?

wednesday

Jun 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes actually. My bad. What I should have said was, the fact he's not a Whitecaps starter saddens me. He has more talent than a lot of the foreigners on the WC's.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The biggest surprise for us, at least from my perspective, was how difficult it is to recruit quality, experienced premier players when you don't already have any on your roster. I know some teams open their wallets or have special relationships with university/college coaches that push players in their direction. We had none of that.

An interesting point and one that has been roundly debated on this forum, though it seems to have found its way into the backgroud of late. Specifically with notorious offender Ayjal no longer a part of the league. Given Pacific's split from CCB and their relative struggles this season, I would suggest that the money there has likely dried up as well. Lots of chatter that Tanoa from 2A had opened the purse strings to attract talent for a promotion push, but that certainly went sideways so I can't image the dollars are flowing there at this point.

As for the college scenario that one is tougher to quantify. Certainly a large number of UBC's roster seems to have found it's way to Inter, but not sure there is any special relationship there, just guys wanting to play together I think. I believe Westside in Div 1 has 2 or 3 fringe UBC guys, but the rest are scattered around Premier (Surrey Utd, Peg, Metro Ford, West Van, etc.) I don't know how many SFU guys are in the league; perhaps they too are spread out among the Surreys and Coquitlams??

I think North Delta (Div 1) has a decent crop of Kwantlen and Douglas guys, but again I think guys just want to continue to play together, rather than being channelled there via a formal relationship. I was always under the impression that Rino's had a good line to the Langara program, but judging by your comments perhaps this is not (or is no longer) the case.

Anyway hopefully the trend of paying for amateur players is being curtailed. I could just be totally missing it (maybe Peg and Metro Ford and West Van etc. are greasing the wheels) but here's hoping that based on the lack of front burner discussion on this issue we are reaching a better equilibrium of guys being attracted by things other than dollar signs, thus keeping the playing field a bit more level.

two-nine

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The comments of guys getting paid started years ago. One thing I do know is that guys at West Van aren't getting paid. They are there because it is a quality team and club. That's what needs to drive players to play for clubs. Not who is offering more cash. As we have seen in the past the paid teams seldom win and more often than not fall apart.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes North delta div1 is 90% North Delta guys. Just trying to keep the talent in North Delta these days.

And not let Surrey United take them all to win cups etc? When Surrey was winning tons I would say half the guys were ND boys with no VMSL spot to play in.
From Cam Wilson, Rizel, skinner, Niall, Hlueka, Ryan Reynolds, Angus, Vinnie Stewart.
All ND blood. ;)
I'm probably missing some others.

Now we are hoping to keep them in their home town. With a VMSL Option now.(and valley as well)

It's the water here really, not the colleges at all.

#repyocity

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope you pull it off Lion.

Back in our day we were on our own and got nothing from the Youth Club or the Corporation of Delta.

Clubs like Surrey FC and Surrey United opened their arms, fields, and wallets (for kit, equipment, etc.) and guys left the scene.

You yourself went to PAU and at least the Lions had some support at that time.

Good luck,
NorthDeltaAlumniforever

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now that the Imperial Cup final is set we know that the top 7 in Prem will qualify for Provs. That means one of Croatia, Inter, Langley or Pacific will miss out.

Conveniently, those 4 all play this weekend in their final game. Small chance that if the stars aligned EDC could sneak in to the equation, but seems remote at best.

Not quite the Div 1 title/promotion race, but hey, at least there's something to play for.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A couple of huge games this weekend with BC spots on the line.

Final games for these clubs in league play:

Croatia - 28pts
Pacific - 28pts
Inter - 27pts
Langley - 27pts

Langley vs Pacific Friday @ 8:15PM
This is an INC game - is it a full replay or is there a scoreline and only a certain amount of time to be played?

Inter vs Croatia Friday @ 8:00PM

Game results:

Croatia win / Pacific win
Both teams qualify and Inter vs Langley playoff match forced

Inter win / Langley win
Both teams qualify and Croatia vs Pacific playoff match forced

Croatia win / Langley win
Croatia, Langley, Pacific qualify and Inter is out

Pacific win / Inter win
Pacific, Inter, Croatia qualify and Langley is out

Croatia win / Pacific & Langley draw
Croatia, Pacific, Langley qualify and Inter is out

Pacific win / Croatia & Inter draw
Pacific, Croatia, Inter qualify and Langley is out

Inter win / Pacific & Langley draw
Inter & Pacific qualify and Croatia vs Langley playoff match forced

Langley win / Croatia & Inter draw
Langley & Croatia qualify and Pacific vs Inter playoff match forced

Both games end in draws
Croatia & Pacific qualify and Inter vs Langley playoff match forced

I think that's it.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
A couple of huge games this weekend with BC spots on the line.

Final games for these clubs in league play:

Croatia - 28pts
Pacific - 28pts
Inter - 27pts
Langley - 27pts

Langley vs Pacific Friday @ 8:15PM
This is an INC game - is it a full replay or is there a scoreline and only a certain amount of time to be played?

Inter vs Croatia Friday @ 8:00PM

Game results:

Croatia win / Pacific win
Both teams qualify and Inter vs Langley playoff match forced

Inter win / Langley win
Both teams qualify and Croatia vs Pacific playoff match forced

Croatia win / Langley win
Croatia, Langley, Pacific qualify and Inter is out

Pacific win / Inter win
Pacific, Inter, Croatia qualify and Langley is out

Croatia win / Pacific & Langley draw
Croatia, Pacific, Langley qualify and Inter is out

Pacific win / Croatia & Inter draw
Pacific, Croatia, Inter qualify and Langley is out

Inter win / Pacific & Langley draw
Inter & Pacific qualify and Croatia vs Langley playoff match forced

Langley win / Croatia & Inter draw
Langley & Croatia qualify and Pacific vs Inter playoff match forced

Both games end in draws
Croatia & Pacific qualify and Inter vs Langley playoff match forced

I think that's it.

I don't know whether to be impressed or terrified that you took the time to spell this all out lol

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So Croatia & Inter drew 1-1

No score reported for the Langley / Pacific game

Croatia is in.
Inter is either in (with a Pacific win) or has a playoff match.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmm....

There is a wildcard in this race to qualify now as Chile got a 1-0 result over the league champs last night to pull to 25 points with a game left to play.

We could have a 3-way tie for 6th or 7th place... Awesome :)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got word Langley and Pacific drew 0-0

Croatia - 29pts
Pacific - 29pts
Inter - 28pts
Langley - 28pts
Chile - 25pts

So Croatia & Pacific are in the BCs

Inter & Langley either have a playoff game between themselves or there will be a mini playoff series with the defending Champions Chile in the mix depending on Chile's last league game.

Chile @ West Van 8:00PM March 24th (Thursday night?)

Can anyone confirm that the league will solve this with playoff games rather than goal diff / head-to-head?

Cheers,

Regs.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got word Langley and Pacific drew 0-0

Croatia - 29pts
Pacific - 29pts
Inter - 28pts
Langley - 28pts
Chile - 25pts

So Croatia & Pacific are in the BCs

Inter & Langley either have a playoff game between themselves or there will be a mini playoff series with the defending Champions Chile in the mix depending on Chile's last league game.

Chile @ West Van 8:00PM March 24th (Thursday night?)

Can anyone confirm that the league will solve this with playoff games rather than goal diff / head-to-head?

Cheers,

Regs.

The excellent site already showing a playoff match up between Inter/Langley. So I guess Chile will be added if they win and a mini tournament (AvB, BvC, CvA) would have to occur. That or they are being rather presumptious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0