Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Results & Banter – February 05’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the team that represented this province better than anyone else in over 10 years is an embarrassment to the league and club less than 5 months afterwards?

You're missing the point - Peg could not win a league game for another 2 years and still win everything that matters every year. And they are certainly on track to do so :D

Here's one for you guys though: If Peg were to go on and repeat this year, who's the embarrassment then?

Discuss.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
While I can't definitively claim this, it would seem logical to assume that had British Columbia played under the standard seasonal structure as the rest of the country, many seasoned Peg guys could have returned from PEI and called it a career, capping off a fine 2004 season with a National Championship, and would have been justified in doing so.

Instead, they came back nearly a month into another VMSL premiership campaign. Without going too overboard on the comparisons, it's like playing regular season games a week after hoisting the Stanley Cup, or playing a three-game interleague set after winning the World Series. It is hard to get amped about the premiership's regular season when you don't have to be a competitive regular-season team to make provincials. Hell, you don't even have to be a premier team to make provincials. Just keep winning Imperial Cup games, which was already mentioned.

What would have been a travesty was if Peg just packed it in (although they are playing a boatload of CAT guys in between goalkeeping cameos from Davey) altogether. But you can't accuse them of that, as they are one win away from earning another berth in the Provincials.

As for the club itself. I know I'm going to open a massive can of worms here, but what the hell. The darling of the Valley, Surrey Youth Soccer, was supposed to be churning out brilliant prospects by the dozen since SYSA bought Peg several years ago. You cannot blame any of the veteran Peg guys for what transpired this season, especially since there should be upwards of six million graduated Surrey Youth products ready to fill the voids on the premier team. I don't need to start on about how long several of the Peg guys have been playing in search of a national championship. To insinuate that they somehow "owe" assurance of staying in premier is laughable. If you have the talent in place, going down to div.1 and heading back up isn't embarassing at all. Indo and Croatia can lay claim to that.

Besides....like nobody saw this coming. It's really funny that people become aghast when Regs verbalizes what all Peg's results since November indicated anyways. "Wow, I can't believe Peg doesn't seem interested since winning the Nationals!" Yeah. What a shocker. You know, sometimes this holier than thou stuff really wears thin.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets get one thing straight. I am very proud that a team from BC won the championship. It shows well for all of us. I truly wish it happened every year.

Regs said:
So the team that represented this province better than anyone else in over 10 years is an embarrassment to the league and club less than 5 months afterwards?
Not to the league, but to themselves at this time, yes. Last year, when we were struggling, it was an embarassment to myself. Especially if we were relegated.

On a totally unrelated topic, I notice the "Birds Love Champions" heading has been down for some time.......hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

And on a side note, today in the Province paper, my 1988 Richmond High basketball team is considered one of the top 4 ever in the province.....Stayed tuned about the fantasy tournament outcome. ;)

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gerry Herdenson said:
WAB
Why are you so worried about Pegasus, AFC, Polonia and other teams? The way Sapperton played yesterday :eek: with a Div. 1 team :eek: should be on your head.
GH, why are you worried about me? I read many posts. It seems to me that everyone talks about everyone else. Isn't this a forum of opinions? Then what the hell is it? Lets face it, if we all just posted bullshite about ourselves, this would be a very boring site.

Waiting for a reply.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
my 1988 Richmond High basketball team is considered one of the top 4 ever in the province.....Stayed tuned about the fantasy tournament outcome.

Did you start, WAB? ;) :p Seriously, who was in the starting line-up? I only remember Brian Tait, Ron Putzi, and Joey deWit??? :confused:

To stay on topic, it can't be a good thing for Pegasus. Yes, winning the Nationals was great but I can't see how the team couldn't get themselves prepared enough to avoid relegation. I wonder how many players will leave to play premier football. It seems to be the norm nowadays, unless one gets paid to play in div. 1....... :rolleyes:

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cerebral smallsy said:
i still can't believe they overlooked the 87' provincial champs...maple ridge ramblers. shoc-king.

Actually, we won the AAA title in 1987 (my grade 11 year - the Ramblers probably won the AA)......wait a minute.......We won it all in 87, the pinnacle of high school sports, and then we came back the next year, went undefeated in the season , and won it again. Now, Regs, what would Peg have done? ;) :D

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Did you start, WAB? ;) :p Seriously, who was in the starting line-up? I only remember Brian Tait, Ron Putzi, and Joey deWit??? :confused:

Captain, I'll reply to that and then let it lie. Myself and Damian Rodd were the other starters. All of us played for the provincial team that won the Western Canadian Select tournament in 1987.

Lettingitgo...........WAB

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My apologies, WAB. I honestly couldn't remember because it was alway Putzi and Tait who got the 'press'.

I still can't believe our 86 Richmond High team wasn't mentioned. We almost won the back-door game against Gord Klammer and the Burnaby Central Wildcats to get into the BC's. I'm sure if we got there, we would have won. :D

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey WAB, you should go out and get a football helmet and some shoulder pads for your goon. He almost got badly injured crashing the net last Sunday during his two minutes of regulation time played.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier thread, and you lot are gabbing about late 80's basketball. This pisstaking is harder than it sounds. I'm at a loss i don't find any of this funny at all. Where's terry when you need him.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,
yep, should have been honourable mention :D.

Remembering good times at BC Place......

Oh Ya! Didn't we, well you, put together a brilliant team that won the BC Place indoor 3 on 3 b-ball tourney! The Pinnacle of all basketball!

Tryingtogetontopic, WAB

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WAB,

I completely forgot about that championship team. I believe it was the Captain, WAB, Randy Celebrini, and I can't remember the 4th. It didn't really matter though because we just gave to ball to Randy and watched him . :D

Reminiscing indeed.......

To stay on topic, Club Ireland will be merging with Richmond United and the Blaze next year to form a 'Superteam', which will win first division and be promoted to premier. We will then win that but will have the whole league against us because we will be paying players. On top of that, we will start fights/brawls every second game and I fancy our chances against anybody. If we're really desperate, we might play the 'race' card, or the fact that most of us are from Richmond/Tsawwassen - the RT card.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steve1234

We have to mellow it down once in a while, for the Moderators get upset if you express a valid opinion. But from what I hear from TTPers at the games, is that I express opinions that others think, but never say. If that makes me a lightening rod, so be it.

Reccos,
What can I say, our guy is aggressive and a little wild at times, but he has made Chris Tood better. Their battles at practice have paid off big time. Chris is on fire, just like he was 4 years ago, and enjoying the Prem. A lot of guys have "graduated" from those CAT teams and have made an impact for Sap.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
WAB,
next year to form a 'Superteam', which will win first division and be promoted to premier. We will then win that but will have the whole league against us because we will be paying players. On top of that, we will start fights/brawls every second game and I fancy our chances against anybody. If we're really desperate, we might play the 'race' card, or the fact that most of us are from Richmond/Tsawwassen - the RT card.
LOL :D :D Hillarious stuff!

But are you really merging with someone? Richmond used to have superior teams...the players are all there, they just keep playing out of the area.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ironic:

WAB getting all excited about basketball games in the same VMSL Premier threads that he is accusing a defending National champion of being an embarrassment.

:rolleyes:

You should learn to respect a champion a little bit more than you have ever shown on here WAB.

coach

Mar 3, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zaurrini said:
I think the embarassing part of it is...
why do they not consider league games (particularily the last 6 or 7, where they knew they were MUST wins)...dare I say "important Games"

Not showing an interest at staying in the Premier division shows a disrespect to the club.

Granted, this discussion will be MOOT when they lose to Clan.

IMHO
Fil.

How the hell do you you know Zaurrini if the boys did not think these games were important.
The boys I talked to were trying to save this thing with all there might!!

This coming from a guy who bailed on Inter!!!!

Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0