Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Results & Banter - Dec/Jan 05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: WAB Not Cold and Heartless!!!

Check out this link to the Royal City Record's Dec. 15th edition.
http://www.royalcityrecord.com/issues04/123204/sports/123204sp1.html
There you can see the photo of WAB and his helpers.

The feel good story of Christmas 2004 has to be WAB and his Sapperton players serving meals over Christmas to the seniors and other needy folks in New Westminster. When contacted with the news, Larrson was reported to be in deep shock stating that it must have resulted from some funny smoke fumes wafting into the adjoining Sap dressing room a few weeks back, punishment for having just beaten his Leopard mates.

WAB's pal Sid was too busy loading coal into WAB's Christmas present to provide the reporter with his comments on this abrupt change in WAB's demeanour and new found community spirit.

"Teaming up for Christmas giving"
Tom Berridge, Record sports
The Sapperton soccer club has no plans to play the wild rover any more.
The Sapperton Rovers, a fixture in the Vancouver Metro Soccer League premier men's division for the past 10 years, are giving back to the community in a more personal way this Christmas season.

The men's team and members of the M&J Rovers Metro Women's premier league side are collectively volunteering their time to bring the festive spirit to seniors at Century House this month and to those less fortunate at St. Barnabas Church on Christmas Day.

"I don't know why it happened. I just decided that's what I wanted to do and we're doing it," said Sapperton men's coach Bryan Wevers, one of the original Rover players who formed a core group of players from Club Ireland that put down competitive roots in the Royal City in 1994 after the Queen's Park Rangers folded one year earlier.

Wevers, who was part of Sapperton's first league title in the premiership in '96, made the resolution with his wife back in January, and together with former Royal City minor soccer president Peter Vranjkovic, quickly found venues where they could volunteer.

Eleven Rover players turned up at Century House last Wednesday to bus tables and serve a seasonal repast to a full house of seniors. The club will also serve a Christmas lunch for seniors at the Moody Park hall on Dec. 20.
Over Christmas, players will decorate the dining room at St. Barnabas Church on Fifth Avenue on Christmas Eve and then help host the needy for a holiday dinner midday.

"I think they (the seniors) were surprised that so many people from one organization would come out and help out. They were really grateful that we came out," Wevers said. "It was the first time we had gotten involved. It was fun. We worked hard but we wanted to. And we all came away feeling great."
When Wevers took the idea to the team practice, 25 players immediately put their names down on a signup sheet after the training session. "I said, 'you don't have to do this, but it will make you feel good.' I think most people wanted to do that, but they didn't know where to start."

Of the 44 men and women playing for Sapperton, all but a handful signed up for one of the four planned outings. Those that couldn't make one of the dates will likely make a donation of clothes or other needed items.
"I think we have it pretty good and it almost makes you feel bad thinking about others. It just hit me. I needed to do this and I loved it, and we're going to do it again and again," Wevers said. "Soccer players don't do this sort of thing, but they said, 'It made me feel good.'"

Despite living a municipality away in Steveston, the lifelong Richmond resident feels a greater attachment to New West, where the Sapperton club is based.
Ever since coming to Sapperton's east side, Wevers has put on affordable summer soccer camps for youth in the Royal City, while taking time out from his contracting business to do so.

But this time, Wevers wanted to do more and branch out beyond his sporting roots.

"I want Sapperton (soccer club) to be really a part of the community. When we move back to Queen's Park, I want to start something. _ I want that type of organization where we are known in the area. That's what I want. I just want to be a part of the community and help out in that community."
Wevers challenges other city groups and athletic organizations to do something together to help people unknown to them this season.

"I've been there playing soccer for a long time and I just feel a connection there (New West)," Wevers added. "That's where I want to be, where there is a sense of community."

crafty cokcney

Nov 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
sid said:
maybe !but not very highly likely!there is more chance of seeing a spotted owl(hey besty) than a bush team winning the Bcs :bronco:

sid

Photo recently taken in Burns Bog - DELTA!!!!!!! :D

Merry XMAS Sid... ;)

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sid, I've heard some pigs can fly!!! Look at those pegs :rolleyes:

BTW, congrats to Alex Elliot, great kid and a promising footballer...

BTW also, well done Sapperton and WAB for their thoughtfullness and dedication to a greater good in life... You should all be proud of yourselves!!!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big bloody deal...

Charity isn't a one time a year thing. I think Sapperton is getting this confused with it's team of the week nominations. It's a big responsibility, being charitable, like owning a puppy. I myself and the rest of Surrey United have been taking it a much further this entire year. We give to this homeless guy at the park, though he does have a burnout trans-am he lives in, but I would hate to be politically incorrect or stereo type the guy (Sanyo) at this time of year it just wouldn't be cricket. Anyway, every Monday and Thursday we charitably donate our 'recyclables' onto his front yard. It's actually the hood of his car... but who am I to argue with him about the name. He doesn't have teeth for a reason. He must pull in a at least 30 cans per... add it up over the entire season and that's quite a tidy little profit. Tax free I might add. Though before you say that isn't that much, WAB, remember our season doesn't end in March like yours, we extend to at least to early May.

I'd like to point out some serious flaws in Sappertons propaganda machine too
a liar said:
When Wevers took the idea to the team practice, 25 players immediately put their names down on a signup sheet after the training session.
Yeah...I really believe Sapperton has 25 players, let alone believing they all train.
more lies said:
Wevers, who was part of Sapperton's first league title in the premiership in '96,
larrson said you won in 2000. You're not calling him a liar are you? Have your 15 minutes of fame, you're doing a good thing, but before you sign the book deal remember the time and elbow extensions we're putting forth in Surrey.

Merry Ho ho... has a totally different meaning where I come from.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you, everyone.

KNVB,

Actually, on Thursdays on the turf, we have around 25 - 28 guys consistently from both the teams. Kudos to your Surrey boys' efforts. Sapp usually scrooges with our empties and I cash 'em in to buy practise balls.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny thing is, KNVB usually pumps up practice balls!!! ;)

Guinnessneverlikedpumpingballshe'dratherfillbottles!!!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If anyone is interested in a little X-Mas break soccer action, I hear that the Bby. Capitals are taking on Sporting today at noon, at the Burnaby Turf. Wanted to get out to the match, but this bronchitis is keeping me house bound with no pints in hand, very bitter to say the least.

Any other X-mas break action other than Slurrey training 3 tmes a week and Sap. serving turkey?

hos

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sap has games every Thurs, 8 PM @ Mercer.

This week, Dec 23, Norvan SC is the probable opponent.
Thurs, Dec 30 vs probably Richmond U.
Thurs, Jan 6 vs Indo or Sihk.

Last Thurs we played Vcr Olympics. Final 2-1 Sap!!!!!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
11 guys wearing Surrey United gear beat Van Oly's 2-0 last night. Not much to say really considering I struggled at times to remember the names of team mates, but Van O where, IMO, completely mince... all 38 of them.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
but Van O where, IMO, completely mince... all 38 of them.

Despite fears of being labelled a grammar nazi, I cannot let this one go by.

Dave.

Please.

where refers to a place or location.

were is the suppletive singluar past subjective form of been or to be.

You're better than this, big cat. I know you are.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right.

Cheers.

40 sniff's of a wet keepers glove for me and my typo...

~Big Cat

PS. Meow

Skip

Jan 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone fancy a friendly??

Any VMSL side interested in playing Peace Arch United in a friendly?

We have a bye the first week back and could use our field time on the weekend. We also have the turf on Tuesday/Thursday nights. If any of the options below are appealing, PM me:

-Tuesday, Jan. 4 or 11, 9:00pm on the Newton turf
-Thursday, Jan. 6 or 13, 9:00pm on the turf
-Sunday, Jan. 9, 12:30pm on the grass at South Surrey Athletic.

Mucho turkey......must get moving. :D

~Skip

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Tenative friendly

Coops was speaking with Doug Roselund (coach of Columbus Clan) about a possible match next Thursday, 6th... Will confirm if and when I find my baseball...

With love, Guinness

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know Langley played Metro Ford tonight, but I've yet to get a result. I saw LFC2 lurking, maybe he can give us the dirty details.

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
knvb said:
I know Langley played Metro Ford tonight, but I've yet to get a result. I saw LFC2 lurking, maybe he can give us the dirty details.

MF 3 Langley 1

The usual. Before we know it, down 2-0 in a blink of an eye, look's like were playing Brazil, I mean watching Brazil, settle down and play with these guy's just fine. First 15 was as described. Next 30 MF definately moved the ball with more pace but poccession and chances were pretty even. Second half was even with virtually new teams on the field for both teams. Seeing it was our first run in 3 weeks, I would say we survived with their first team and outplayed their reserves. MF looked way younger last night than they did in August. I'll stoke the fire a bit and say that it would not be a terrible draw for a valley team come May.

One black mark on the evening from my perspective. Get a bloody ref for the game. Or be clear when you want a scrimmage. And don't have a club guy sit in the middle of the park with a water logged whistle. No excuses, but the second goal was preceded by two obvious off sides that had our guys just shrugging their shoulders as to what was going on. 25 minutes before a foul was called. Last 20 minutes of the game was a chop fest, nobody hurt on our side but a couple MF limped off. Hopefully OK but you could see it coming from both sides. Any referee with balls would have tossed the guy who chopped our guy from behind on a breakaway, professional or simply for the hack.

Anyways well worth the run regardless. Gotta get used to the pace.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
LFC2 said:
MF 3 Langley 1

Next 30 MF definately moved the ball with more pace but poccession and chances were pretty even. Second half was even with virtually new teams on the field for both teams. Seeing it was our first run in 3 weeks, I would say we survived with their first team and outplayed their reserves. I'll stoke the fire a bit and say that it would not be a terrible draw for a valley team come May.

Looks like the valley is ready for ANOTHER serious run at the Prov. Cup :rolleyes:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looks like it is a good thing that Langley didn't play Inter the other night. What happened in the Peg vs. Surrey Rangers match today out at the NAP?

hos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0