Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Nation's Cup - tournament banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, you missed Bruce and I by about 3 minutes.

We tied England 0-0 and will meet them again in 55minutes. Kick-off 3pm. It should be interesting as I coach against Ralph Wiggim...again :wa:

I'm so happy of the outcome thus far, the ladies are doing well!

I'll report back in around 2:30am (Monday) if Craig keeps me on the dance floor :D

+SC

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

You'll be happy to know that the Eire lasses beat England in the final. 1-0, I think.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Semis had Italy V India

India was winning 1-0 at half despite Italy having more possession.

Carribean V Scotland

By the sounds of it, Carribean were up 2-0 at half.

Greece v Scotland

Despite playing a man down for pretty much the entire game, we did well to press Scotland for the Group Win.
They went up 1-0 when our player stopped the ball from crossing the line with his hands. Automatic Red, and a PK.
1-0 Scotland 10 minutes in, and it looked like the route was on.
We battled hard to tie it up before half.

Second half we went at them hard, and they seemed a bit disorganized.
Frand Randazzo scored a cracker, curling it into the bottom corner to put us up 2-1.
Then, I dont think we touched the ball...and they came at us in waves.
I am pretty sure they were playing with 14 guys....but I never had a chance to count. They kept coming, and coming, and finally were rewarded with a tieing goal with under 10 minutes to play.

2-2 was the final, and Scotland went through.

It should be noted that, if First Nations had beaten an already eliminated Portuguese side they would have advanced to the semis.
Portugal won 2-1.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Italy V India

I was paying more attention to the Scots and Caribs during the first half, but managed to hear India go up 1-0, only to give up the equalizer, and then to go ahead and win 2-1. I tried to watch the second but couldn't get past the wall of Indians.

Carribean V Scotland

Caribs dominated on the score sheet 3-0 in the first. Don't know if Scotland ever managed one, but when I peered over they certainly didn't look like they could.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Carribean on winning the tourny. It is a real accomplishment to not only to last the weekend physically but to win games like they did, outscoring their opponents 6-0 in the semi's and finals is huge.

I do want to start a conversation about the one aspect of the tourny that comes up every year but doesn't ever seem to be resolved. Each year there are players that clearly play for countries that they should not be representing and my question is why do the orginizers of the teams want to do this. This tournament is about pride so why does winning take precedent over that. The tournament officials want to do something about this I am sure but the question of how or what can they do.

So I ask for suggestions here..................like should a player that plays for one team one year have to sit out a period of time before they can play for another????? Or should they need permission from there previous team to play for someone else. Should team lists be submitted before the start of the tournament with the person's ethnic background recorded ( not sure if that is even possible).

Anyways off to the hot tub.................

Congrats again and well done Willy :D

John

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If your ethnic background had to be recorded what percent scottish, English etc would you have to be and how would you need to prove it. If you are Dutch for instance and their is no team can you play for anyone. I don't think you should be able to play for one team one year and another the next. That totally takes away from the tournament

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scotland should have never signed knvb, but that is another story, more importing, how did the O-30's make out, did Coach lead his Engerland to the promise land or was it India that mucked out the win for this very tough division.

What time did the Beer Garden shut down, 5:30 or 6, either way, I am sure the pubs are all happy about the Richmond Lickher laws. No fun Richmond.

hos

Any good rumours on the weekend?

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some side notes from the Nations Cup:

YBK - tournament MVP. Donald looked terrific, especially in the semi against Scotland, made life very difficult for anyone marking him.

Anklebreaker - tournaments top defender. 1/3 of L.O.D. played terrific all weekend and was well deserving of this award.

India - won the O-30's and 0-45's, and went to the final in open. A very good showing.

Looking forward to next year's tournament, always well run with good officials and a great atmoshere. Well done and thank you Richmond Olympics (United)

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do want to start a conversation about the one aspect of the tourney that comes up every year but doesn't ever seem to be resolved. Each year there are players that clearly play for countries that they should not be representing and my question is why do the organizers of the teams want to do this. This tournament is about pride so why does winning take precedent over that. The tournament officials want to do something about this I am sure but the question of how or what can they do.
I agree whole heartedly...but the only comment I have to say to this is that everyone (with the exception of a select few) are Canadian...so if that were the case, we should have 16 Team Canada's. That being said...a chap who clearly an "Apple"...should think twice about playing with an "Orange" ... or in the case of the Scottish Team B A N A N A S!!! :wa: :D :D :D

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually John that is part of the reason why I won't even go try out/sit as a sub (I don't think I can start anyways) for the Greek team. I can understand 1 or 2 ringers but I went to watch the Greek team play and in their first game the starting lineup had 6 Greeks on it and 5 Italians. The response I hear from some is that there will be too many politics if it's all Greeks or there isn't enough of us quality wise. I say B.S. to this. Also I know I'm not the best player, heck I'll say 90% of the players there at the tournament are fitter and better than me but at least I can pop on a jersey and play for pride and I'll give it my all knowing that I will be battling for Greece. I look at the team and you see all these non Greeks and I feel like saying what's it to them even if they do win? Like you I ask why is that allowed but oh well until something is done then it'll happen year after year.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
gilly said:
always well run with good officials and a great atmoshere.
I'm not so sure about that comment. Walks I wish you were there for the sake of Ralph Wiggim's heart condition. ;)

I was told to post for the sake of posting at 4:32(plus) am. It was nice to see Joe Billy lighting it up on the "Capital" Dance floor tonight. Demo and Coach, always a good laugh - I hope you made it out to Abbotsford :p

Nut "I picked the wrong team to play for" megs was unable to answer the phone past 1:15 in order to receive directions to the 'new' location.

Tuna and MacDonald made out for awhile :eek: I hope the couch was cozy:)
It was great that Burnsie called from Dublin, to hear that I've officially taken over the "Head Coach'' ing position of the Club 'I' ladies:p

Again, so many stories, so many memories, so many pictures (150 plus) :D I'll post them when I get some time :eek:

Conductor, I will always charish Sam and Mario in my post celebration festivities, as well as Kate and Megs :cool: I'm glad you didn't have to play coed today.

It's funny how the silverwear makes everyone feel like a champion :wa: (pictures to follow)
Congrats to Carib for taking the Open Men's division :)

+unbelievablallyimpressedwiththegirlsSC

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just posted another another three quickies from a Saturday game:
  • Greece v. Germany*
*All players shown are certified Greek.

http://www.takethepiss.com/multimedia/browseimages.php?perpage=90&c=575

Termatofylakas,

I agree whole-heartedly, but I imagine some teams do so in fear of not having enough players. Did you play the year the Greeks won the over 30's? That's what happen then, but at least then, "we" (I'll always think of myself as Greek that summer) went by the name United Nations.

P.S. Nice to see you've become a Premium Member! :cool:

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did I play on that Over 30's? No...I still have another 7 summers to go to reach that level. Like I said earlier a ringer or 2 to field a team fine. The Greeks have enough to make a team I just don't know why we don't do it. Also when did Greece win the o-30's?

P.S. Maybe the Greek team needs a German coach (not you Keeper) so they can win just like at Euro 2004.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The United Nations (aka Mostly Greece) won the over 30's . . . hmmm, let me think about it . . . ummm, I think it was '99. They could only manage about 7 or 8 Greeks so a handful of Westsiders helped out. I wasn't of age yet, but don't tell anybody.

Damn, that was a great summer.

soca

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
anyone wanna share wut happened in the final between india vs caribs? wut went wrong with india? or are the caribs too skilled?

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would say after the spanking the Caribs gave Scotland it's a case of them being brillliant and nothing wrong with India.
I heard they were phenomenal.

Well done to the winners in my category - England O-38s - Congrats.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whair to start on wut went wrong :rolleyes:

If I could sum up the Caribs this year in a word it would be : speed. Pure and simple they ran 110K an hour for 60 full minutes. It took Scotland 40 minute to figure out we had to punt them in order to slow them down. The problem with that was they were moving too fast to get a lick on. The speed was insane to play against. I've always fancied myself as pretty quick but for the first time in my life I knew a little about what its like to be RF, with-out the cholesterol issues.

The chalky Napoleon Dynamite linesman c0cked an off side call when Criminal was sent in and scored. At that point a 2-1 game may have been a little different, but I doubt it.

India looked good in the final but they had the same issues we were in being able to keep up with all the skill they had and at the pace they had it at. One or the other is alright but when they almost all had both it made for a long 60.

I think they were TTP out of us when they threw on a couple of white guys and we still didn't touch the ball.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
a dutchmen with the ttp name KNVB playing for Scotland. I would go out of my way to spit in your direction. Saying things like we when describing scotland is shocking and disgraceful how was the bowl of Oatmeal this morning you fukcing wanker(spelling??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0