Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL- Pros/Cons/Other Sports

A

AMA

BCSPL TRYOUTS IN DEC/JAN - i,ve heard that the BCSPL clubs will be having more tryouts . Are these just for existing BCSPL and Metro players or players from any level .
Some BCSPL players might choose to switch to another franchise due to a lack of playing time .

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've heard there will not be formal tryouts for existing teams at most clubs. Invites to train and be evaluated with a team is what I've heard will be standard. I think movement for those getting minimal playing time will be difficult unless they are known by another team plus it's a long drive from Vancouver westside to Abotsford with still no guarantee of more playing time. After the mini season I'll be surprised to see significant changes in a roster. Maybe 2-3 players moving in/out up/down for a typical team.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, Xavi, we know you've just moved here but there is no room for you in the HPL, as the current players have already bought, mmm sorry, earned their way onto to the squad. You're going to have to play somewhere else unless a few of the current HPL drop out due to playing time. Cheers.

Realistically, there SHOULD be a new set of tryouts for the first REAL season. Of course, there shouldn't be a charge for these tryouts as all the clubs SHOULD be financially strong now, right?

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry, Xavi, we know you've just moved here but there is no room for you in the HPL, as the current players have already bought, mmm sorry, earned their way onto to the squad. You're going to have to play somewhere else unless a few of the current HPL drop out due to playing time. Cheers.

Realistically, there SHOULD be a new set of tryouts for the first REAL season. Of course, there shouldn't be a charge for these tryouts as all the clubs SHOULD be financially strong now, right?

Realistically, coaches and TDs should be scouting kids outside of their teams. Realistically, mass tryouts, as we know them, should be a thing of the past at this level. It's time for HPL coaches to get out and watch kids playing for their metro/gold/silver teams and scout players properly. Realistically, the coaches of these teams should be getting in touch with HPL coaches and letting them know of these 'diamonds in the rough'.

Realistically, my wife would like me home for dinner one evening a week!

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Realistically, coaches and TDs should be scouting kids outside of their teams. Realistically, mass tryouts, as we know them, should be a thing of the past at this level. It's time for HPL coaches to get out and watch kids playing for their metro/gold/silver teams and scout players properly. Realistically, the coaches of these teams should be getting in touch with HPL coaches and letting them know of these 'diamonds in the rough'.

I believe this is how it is now, with potentially minor changes between seasons, including between this mini season 2011 and the start of 2012.
The minor changes coming from scouting Metro as well as quality players who opted to forego the BCPL initially and now are gravitating towards it.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
In theory, I agree that BCPL coaches should be scouting the "lower" levels. Except the schedules are concurrent. So getting out to scout could prove very problematic.

Inviting standout players to tryouts would be the best way forward. Ideally, the standout players would be referred by their lower-level coach. Who knows how often this will happen.

And yes, being home for dinner would be ideal! Same with some free time on the Saturday. Just remember these guys are not coaching soccer full-time.

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't mean to infer that spots are locked at all, only that the clubs seem to be avoiding open tryouts. Xavi is lucky enough to move to a community where HPL is not considered the work of the devil he might hear about HPL and get an invite. He's on the team and some one is then dropped.

HPL spots are not locked as of the end of the mini-season. It's the whole re-doing of open tryouts that is generally being avoided for a more favoured coordinated movement between MSL and HPL. Movement can be initiated from either direction.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Not the initial point, Gaffa.......why would there not be a new set of tryouts when there will be a new set of 'finances' coming into the picture? As for your wife having you home for dinner.....seriously? ;)

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fun with periodization by the CSA........

All this talk about rest and recovery and downtime from Nov to Feb, Wellness to W Cup.....

And I am sure the format is similar in other age groups:

Richmond Red Hot Selects, BC Girls Rep at National Championship are about to play 5 games in 5 days in Calgary. Just to make it more fun, they are playing 90 minute games as opposed to the 80 minutes they played all season.

Overall message- Please take periodization seriously, unless of course you are the people monitoring it then you can do what ever suits you.:eek:

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not the initial point, Gaffa.......why would there not be a new set of tryouts when there will be a new set of 'finances' coming into the picture? As for your wife having you home for dinner.....seriously? ;)

Its true these paid head coach,s of BCSPL clubs should be watching various games for potential players but i bet many won,t bother. The Mariners u13 boys team is a Metro team playing up in BCSPL and the South Fraser one is also prob only Metro level.
The 99 born boys Peace Arch team from the last 2 seasons was way better than the current BCSPL team.

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its true these paid head coach,s of BCSPL clubs should be watching various games for potential players but i bet many won,t bother. The Mariners u13 boys team is a Metro team playing up in BCSPL and the South Fraser one is also prob only Metro level.
The 99 born boys Peace Arch team from the last 2 seasons was way better than the current BCSPL team.

OH, the humanity! :rolleyes:

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Way better" or "won more"?? :)

If the 99 PA boys were better did they tryout for the BCPL team? etc etc etc....

Funny how these debates / conversations come full circle.

In response to Geordies post re the BCSPL coaches watching the Metro and other BCSPL games to assess the talent, I believe they are doing so, at least that's what I've seen / heard within our club.

A

AMA

All players who feel they have the talent should be allowed to attend the tryouts . As the member above writes there could be " diamonds in the rough" .
Any players dropped by any franchise will likely just go tryout at another one , therefore i reckon its mostly the same players that will be involved with a few switching clubs etc.

A

AMA

I've heard there will not be formal tryouts for existing teams at most clubs. Invites to train and be evaluated with a team is what I've heard will be standard. I think movement for those getting minimal playing time will be difficult unless they are known by another team plus it's a long drive from Vancouver westside to Abotsford with still no guarantee of more playing time. After the mini season I'll be surprised to see significant changes in a roster. Maybe 2-3 players moving in/out up/down for a typical team.

The tryouts for each franchise will hopefully be on different dates allowing players the option of trying out at other franchise clubs if they fail to make it at any of the BCSPL tryouts.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tryouts would be ... when, February maybe?

I'd be checking each franchises web page regularly - weather conditions of course being obstacle, as well as available field dates due to ongoing league play....?? Might be an issue.

Best bet is to email each franchise specifically and ask - as the web pages might not be up to date, or they might not hold trials at all....who knows at this point.

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
March at the earliest I imagine for the '00 players. I'm pretty sure most of the BCSPL clubs will not be having open tryouts for the existing teams.

A

AMA

Trial BCSPL season over and now what ?
Will these teams continue training
Will the teams be playing exhibition match,s v Metro teams
When will the players be informed if they are in or out for the new season
If players are dropped what will their options be if they don,t want to continue BCSPL elsewhere

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0