Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [FVSL Premier] Results, Banter & Such October 09'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canuck I agree...but what about in 4-5 years when all the VMSL teams are up in the new division..what then..still 2 Premier divisions ?

canucklehead

Mar 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canuck I agree...but what about in 4-5 years when all the VMSL teams are up in the new division..what then..still 2 Premier divisions ?

To be honest Ghouse, I'd still bet that the 2 relegated teams from VMSL Premier and the top 6 Div 1 teams would end up on top at the end of 18 weeks...

In the VMSL Premier, you don't know who will win from week to week. Sure you might have your picks, but there is far more competitive balance in that league then any other, hands down.

Curvature#2

Sep 30, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the PM - Aldy game w.r.t "no touchy touchy" (really wish i had heard this comment haha)

I agree that there were some fouls called with some very minimal contact, but over the course of the whole game, the ref was very Consistent which is all that you can really ask for. As players we knew how the game was going to be called from the opening whistle.

Personally I thought he called a very good (albeit tight) game.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canuckl I do agree with you. I have been to most VMSL Prem and a few Div 1 games this year and the league is strong. Some of the Div 1 teams are very strong.
Funny though..Because I have a team in div 2 I go to some of those games and it seems FVSL Div 2 and 3 are stronger (plus we play a bunch of div 2 friendlies vs VMSL)
Why it changes after that ? . I think its because of travel. Alot of good players in the valley stay with their buddys in div 2 to play, to share rides and drink beers. Div 2 between the 2 leagues seems different in age and attitude aswell.
Still ya the VMSL Premier and div 1 is stronger for sure..But if you havent noticed the FVSL has gotten better, and as the population grows out in the valley and more guys move out there...With this new division and some of the valleys youth teams getting older...We shall see what happens in the future.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still ya the VMSL Premier and div 1 is stronger for sure..But if you havent noticed the FVSL has gotten better, and as the population grows out in the valley and more guys move out there...With this new division and some of the valleys youth teams getting older...We shall see what happens in the future.

We’ve been saying that for years, and over the years, what we see are certain teams becoming strong, then hitting a plateau because they simply don’t get the week-in/week-out competition offered in the VMSL. The Valley hasn’t gotten much better, just certain teams: Langley, ACBC amongst have improved…and when it comes time for Provincials, they are not prepared due to the overall lower competition.

I have no doubt that, given a year in the VMSL, Langley and ACBC would compete. They may be mid-pack, but they’d compete. Thing is, after that year, it doesn’t matter anymore. They would be “in the club”, and benefit from more movement of players from within the league.

What will be different this time is that now all the Valley teams are “in the club”, just like all the VMSL teams. I think the league loyalties will be thrown out the window. Currently, the VMSL stays strong because the best players want to play there. It filters down to their 1st division. We see so many of the best Valley grown players playing out there simply for that reason. Now, with the new league promoting one team from each of the VMSL, VISL, and FVSL, you will see players unable to latch on to one of the BCPL teams move to the Valley to bolster a strong team in order to aim for promotion. Especially next season. Which ever of PAU or Poco that doesn’t make it will be in a position of being able to attract some pretty good players.

Also, I agree w/ whoever said they should just re-name the divisions accordingly: Premier becomes 1st, 1st becomes 2nd, 2nd becomes 3rd, etc.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
...and that's why you see so much opposition coming out of the VMSL. They have more to lose, less to gain.

surreyu

Sep 23, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hypothetical question....

When the 3 valley teams make it to the BCPL will they keep their current squad or start recruiting players to compete with the vmsl teams?
When Surrey U made the jump to the vancouver league they started to recruit players. By the start of the second season I think there was only 2 or 3 players from the original squad that helped them get to the vancouver league. Needless to say this did not sit well with some.

Bollocks

Oct 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good question!

IMHO they should've been recruiting ASAP ... as in last summer. Thinking the current FVSL squads can compete week-in/week-out in the BCPL as is ... well that's crazy talk. If they'd been recruiting VMSL level players then they'd have a year to build up "club loyalty" so there would be less fall-out (as in SU's case).

I think actually the FVSL teams will over the long run have a competitive advantage over the VMSL suitcase teams in the BCPL. Look at the facts in the Valley ... Strong club systems, GVRD's population growth, the cost of living in town, the cost of driving to town -> all these point towards a Valley advantage to attract and keep quality players/teams several years down the road.

What I want to know is how Azzi sees this as an advantage for the VMSL?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
surreyu...deffinitely think this will happen. But, isn't this the natural progression anyhow? And how is that any different than any other current VMSL team? Look at the turnover on teams over the years. Everyone seems to have a suitcase half packed as it is.

More to the point...I kind of see two scenarios:

1. The FVSL Premier league as we know it will be decimated.
2. The FVSL "Premier" league teams will very quickly be replenished w/ suitcase carrying players from the VMSL, who weren't able to latch on to a new BCPL team, looking for an easier way in to the BCPL than through the VMSL.

I think that- sooner than later- you'll see a massive evening out of the "new" FVSL & VMSL top tiers.

Round and round we go..

akal number one

Sep 23, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canuckl I do agree with you. I have been to most VMSL Prem and a few Div 1 games this year and the league is strong. Some of the Div 1 teams are very strong.
Funny though..Because I have a team in div 2 I go to some of those games and it seems FVSL Div 2 and 3 are stronger (plus we play a bunch of div 2 friendlies vs VMSL)
Why it changes after that ? . I think its because of travel. Alot of good players in the valley stay with their buddys in div 2 to play, to share rides and drink beers. Div 2 between the 2 leagues seems different in age and attitude aswell.

Div 3 Fraser Valley may be better, but I'm not so sure about div 2. Might be a bit more even then you think.

Just by looking at the standings, Guildford is in first by a landslide in your division. I've seen them play and while they have some good players, they aren't that great of a team. If they are having such an easy time, I doubt the level is that great to begin with.

I'd be up for playing a game against you guys during the winter break. (We are Desmesh btw) It would be best if you kept it as the div 2 team, but if you want to bring the prem guys for some reason than so be it. I know most of them from playing against them in PCSL and African Nations/ Nations cup. I'd rather just play your div 2 team get a sense of the level.

I'd even go as far as saying he could give most of the FVSL div one teams a good run.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
No doubt....

Let's get this back on track... Further posts about BCPL stuff that is not relevant to October's FVSL Musings will be deleted.

This thread exists for a reason.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
In a Friendly tonight ACBC 3- Surrey United FireFighters 3.

Super game ...end to end action. Everyone played well. Baldock saved a PK.
We were up 3-1 with 10 to go and just couldnt hold on as they threw everything at us.
Wow are they good. You have to stay focused for a full 90 or the good teams will catch you. Disapointed and yet very happy with the result.

outkast

Jan 30, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I personally think Langley would get thumped in the VMSL week in week out. In the valley, they are big and strong, and yes finish well. Too many VMSL sides play it on the deck and would turn them inside out. Along with way more quality strikers in the VMSL, that could exploit the Langley defence. With a few more players a team like PoCo would fair much better, as well as PAU.

Too their credit Langley has done decently in the Provincials in the last few years, but it's due to other teams not knowing what to expect, and if you get caught up in the long ball it works to LUFCs benefit. Once teams figured out there rather predictable style, the goals would stop coming and they would struggle.

Ive had my chance to play in both leagues, and hump it up the park works in the FVSL, not the VMSL.

Sorry JBL.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree on your synopsis of the two leagues, but disagree on LUFC's abilities. Most of their players are not one dimentional, it's just that if you can win consistently w/ one style, why wouldn't you continue w/ it?

Ghouse...don't take Cloughie's dig personally. He get's his sphincter in a knot every time I post, weather it is about Poco, Langley, silver platters, or bad weather.

Forcast looks bad for the next few days, BTW. Lots of rain.

Oops. Looks like I can look forward to another Cloughie PM tearing me a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0