Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Girls Metro Soccer Results

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The ref's jersey was a nice blue and black combination. :) As for the knickers, I can't comment, and if I could, I still wouldn't.

We play Abbotsford on the weekend but I don't think I will be there because we(Club Ireland) are playing on Sunday at 2:30.

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
CD goes 5 for 5

Hate to toot the horn on the golf cart this early in the morning, but here goes: I was 5 for 5 on the results from last weekend and if I was playing the spreads with Guido in the dark alley, I would've cleaned up quite nicely!

Last weekend's U18 girls metro results (if you care!):
Bby 3 PMoody 1 (I called 4-0)
Semi 2 N Shore 1 (Called 3-1)
Surdel 0 Abby 0 (Called 2-2)
Van 5 Eagle 1 (Called 4-1)
Only blip was CVI winning 3-1, not covering my 7-0 prediction!!

Predictions for this weekend:
Abby 1 Rich 1 (two low scoring teams, but Richmond has gotta be due for a reward after playing CVI well)
NShore 2 Surdel 1 (Surdel tough defensively, but NS has some aggressive forwards)
Eagle 2 PMoody 0 (ER has got to be due for a win and they have 2 quick strikers who will benefit from PM's turf)
Semi 2 Van 2 (tough to call, taking the easy way out here)
BBY 2 CVI 1 (Gotta be a homer on this one)

Top 4 teams in the standings are playing each other this weekend, so the top 4 may look different come Monday.

I am missing my best mid and best striker this weekend (one at the U19 Nat camp and one in N Carolina on a recruiting visit) but I know Nanaimo is missing at least one at the Nat camp as well so a few players will need to step up on both teams to get a result. The return ferry ride is always so much nicer with a win!

That's it for now....

CDwonderingifRichmondgirlswillstillheartheCaptainshoutingallthewayinAbby:rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good predictions, CD. There will be no need to hear me shouting from Vancouver, as I will be in Abbotsford watching the game. I am taking a break from playing this weekend and I feel that I am obligated to go to the game. Good luck this weekend. I have to go pick 3 winners for my $200 bet, so I don't have time to predict this weekend........

Semi/Van - will tie

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong on #1......

Well, CD was wrong on the first (and most important to him) prediction.....Burnaby went down 1-0 to Nanaimo. We came out strong and finished with a flurry but a few mental lapses in between and a 6' tall keeper kept us off the scoresheet today. The intensity was great between both teams, with the game being played with great end to end action.....and without kick and run...it was quality soccer both ways. A couple of yellows thrown in after things got a bit feisty too:(

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparently, we didn't fare too well on the weekend.

Date Status Home Team H - A Away Team
Sep 08 2002 League North Shore Selects 2 - 0 Richmond Metro
Sep 15 2002 League Port Moody Ice 1 - 0 Richmond Metro
Sep 22 2002 League Richmond Metro 0 - 5 Vancouver Force
Sep 29 2002 League Richmond Metro 1 - 3 CVI United
Oct 06 2002 League Abbotsford Extreme 6 - 0 Richmond Metro

Apparently, it was 1 - 0 at the half and a goalkeeping change was made. The change obviously had a HUGE impact on the final score.....

So we are finally officially at the bottom of the league. Upon seeing this, I had to go find a team that is actually doing worse than us in another league, so I did. There really IS always someone who is worse off......:rolleyes:

Date Status Home Team H - A Away Team
Sep 08 2002 League Abbotsford Thunder 0 - 3 Ladner Rockets
Sep 15 2002 League West Van Jets 8 - 0 Abbotsford Thunder
Sep 22 2002 League West Van Wildcats 10 - 0 Abbotsford Thunder
Oct 06 2002 League NSGSC Bluejays 5 - 0 Abbotsford Thunder

They have only played 4 games and given up 26 goals. We have played 5 games and scored a goal while ONLY giving up 17 goals. Man, that Abbotsford Thunder team really sucks !

:wa: :wa: :wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SurDel 1 Richmond 1

We earned our first point of the season and definitely deserved it. It was a very chippy game with a lot of whining Surrey parents. Anyway, we actually won the game, but Johnny Wong the ref who used the word dumb as a noun, disallowed a goal on a free kick because he wanted to move the girls back 10 yards. I had a player take a quick free kick and NO ONE asked the wall(that was setting up) to be 10 yards away. Our girl scored the goal directly into the open side of the net. This would have put us up 2 - 0. He came over to me after I informed him(politely of course) of his shoc-king call and asked if we could calm down saying..

I don't want the girls to think I am a dumb

Tre-men-dous stuff. Anyway, it was a point and for our efforts, we get to play last year's provincial champions next week. :confused: Unfortunately, the Captain and Marco Polo will be playing against Norvan, probably very hungover......

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby in a slump??

Good result Captain. I wish I could have been as happy about our result as you were about yours:rolleyes:

We played Vancouver and what a game it was. Battle of the goalies. The score could have been 3-0 either way with all the shots and offensive chances from each team. An end to end game that proved to me how poorly some of our kids shoot the ball when under pressure. They look brilliant in training with time, but put them 9 yards out with only the keeper to beat, and we fell apart numerous times! Taylor (Van's goalie) did make some brilliant saves, as did mine. Score ended up 1-0 to them with the Vancouver coach comforting me after the game with "that was the best game we've had all year"......thanks, but we have lost 2 in a row now and the girls are losing confidence in our strikers! May be time for drastic measures up front. Can you say 3-3-4 to generate some goals:D

CDwishinghehadthemagicpotionforgoals:wa:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby gets a last minute win!

U18 metro girls action: With the score tied 1-1 and Burnaby swarming, a chop-job by one of the Abby defenders resulted in a free kick from 20 yards out.....top shelf on a great blast made it a 2-1 win which Burnaby needed after the last two close losses to the top teams.

Any other results?

CDthinksAbbyisthemostphysicalteamhehasseenthisyear:eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby 1 Richmond 0

Hard to believe that we didn't score today. :rolleyes: We actually played well today defensively, only giving up a goal on a well taken free header off a corner. The ref was shoc-king, which is nothing new. Burnaby's keeper should have been sent off and given a penalty against her for 'Rocky' like actions. The Burnaby parents were behind me and they were very surprised that the ref did nothing. Anyway, there were a few attitude problems on the field today but I guess that goes with the age/territory. Number 20 was the best player on the park today, especially since she was able to mix a physical game with some skill too. I assume you were missing a few players today, Cartdriver? I thought we did okay with our 13 solid players.....

:rolleyes: Congrats to Burnaby for the win and we play Eagleridge next week and we will be seriously looking for our first win......:)

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was it really that close?

With all due respect to my Irish friend, I don't know if his game report was painted with the brush that truly depicts the game. CS states that Richmond should have scored. I do believe that disbelief over not scoring usually follows an offensive display with shots, chances, and constant pressure.......but come on, you guys got near our goal just enough times to confirm there was indeed turf just inside the 18! How many shots did Richmond get ON goal? 1 or 2. I lost count at 1. How many shots TOWARDS the goal? 2 or 3. Again, I lost count at 2. Not exactly a team that peppered their opponent with shots and should've been rewarded with a goal?! My keeper summed up the game best afterwards: "that was so boring, I didn't get any work.....what was with you guys, you so played down to their level." And not to be a "should've/could've" guy, but with some better Burnaby execution in the final third, it could've been quite a different scoreline. About 60% of the game was played in the middle third of the park....with about 30% played in Richmond's defensive third. Again, not exactly an overpowering offensive game for Richmond....although they did play well defensively. I don't know the tall girl's number in the middle of park on the back line, but she did well challenging balls all game long. I knew a last place team that can't score playing against a middle of the pack team that can't score would be ugly, and that it was. Probably Burnaby's ugliest game this year as far as execution and capitalizing on their chances. We started with 14 healthy out of 18 and ended with 13...so not too bad for numbers although missing my best defender and top goalscorer with food poisining (mom said that...I call it a bad hangover!) didn't help our cause. I agree that our keeper should've got a yellow for the shove/punch/claw that she administered....but come on Captain, your parents cried out like the DC sniper was at work again? Us, with our many years of men's soccer under the belt, realize that happens at nearly every stop in the play after a scrum.....guy says something, the other guy gives him a straight arm....but I understand these girls are much more fragile:confused:

Bottom line on CD's game report: Both teams are going nowhere fast until they learn how to pass to the right color jersey....and learn how to SCORE! So many ugly giveaways and wasted buildups. Through balls to my girls on this day seemed to mean "knock it really hard so it rolls all the way to their keeper". I counted at least 11 or 12 times that Burnaby worked the ball up the park and wasted the buildup with a bad cross or balls rolled into the keeper. Not pretty to watch.....so I am sorry if CS was happy and liked the game....but this coach was embarrassed and laid into his troops after this one!

Scouting report on Eagleridge: they have a very good midfielder and defender....against us, after about twenty minutes, they put them both up front and started knocking long balls to them....it caused us some problems going backwards too much and getting possession back. They work hard on their checking, but if you string a few passes together against them, they let up a bit on their pressure and drop back.

We have Semi next week:wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WTF?

Cartdriver,

Please reread my post.

Hard to believe that we didn't score today. We actually played well today defensively, only giving up a goal on a well taken free header off a corner. The ref was shoc-king, which is nothing new. Burnaby's keeper should have been sent off and given a penalty against her for 'Rocky' like actions. The Burnaby parents were behind me and they were very surprised that the ref did nothing. Anyway, there were a few attitude problems on the field today but I guess that goes with the age/territory. Number 20 was the best player on the park today, especially since she was able to mix a physical game with some skill too. I assume you were missing a few players today, Cartdriver? I thought we did okay with our 13 solid players.....

I said we played well defensively . There was a roll-eyes smilie beside my comment about scoring goals. We have only fcuking scored 2 goals this year, so my comment could be construed as facetious. Your team was unable to move the ball, as you state because we had clogged the middle. When you play balls up the middle ALL the time, the end result is usually going to be easy pickings for the goalie. As for your goalie, she should have been red carded. Simple as that. As for our teams going nowhere quickly, you're absolutely right on that call. Fortunately, I knew that from the start of the year given our sheer numbers and talent. However, I have seen improvement in my girls and I know they are still enjoying playing. Certainly not because of our results but we are getting better. We will NEVER be able to compete with the better teams in the league because of talent. As for possession, you're starting to sound like Dazza.

BTW, what was with your warm-up? I thought I was watching a C.S.A. practice session. That is the first time I have ever seen cones and pinnies out for a pre-game warm-up. Maybe we need to do the same and we might get a result...........On the other hand, I don't think so because I have so many players that are out of shape that they would be knackered before kick-off. :)

Thanks for the scouting report on Eagleridge. As for Semi, you could be in for a long afternoon. They have a lot of pace and your back line wasn't the quickest I've seen this year. The majority of their strength is in the midfield, so it might not be a bad idea to stack an extra midfielder and try and shut them down as much as you can.

Captain who KNOWS his teams is going nowhere quickly.....

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
They teach you these things at school!

CSA look-alike? I'll take that as a compliment based on our current awesome world cup teams:rolleyes:

Our achiles heel used to be extremely slow starts and thus ending up a goal down 10 minutes in against any level opponent due to not "being ready". I have tried everything from a 15 minute slack warmup to a full 40 minute high tempo session.....kind of settled on 25 minutes with a few grids, ball movement, pressure, talking....I am glad to hear it looked pretty though as it is the only way they even resemble a team ready to start the game with all of the above traits.

While we're having fun picking apart each other's coaching......what was with the "3 Jim Robsons" on your side. (You and 2 others!) I thought you guys were going to wear out the sideline turf and your vocal chords! At one point, I think you made it 35 yards down the field at a full run faster than your girl did with the ball (all the while calling out the play by play loud enough we could hear on our side....very impressive)! I guess the old adage "do your coaching at practice and let them play in games" doesn't apply in Lickmond......but then again, that chapter in the CSA handbook was right after a proper warmup, so you might not have read that far:confused:

Kind of cute though....reminded me of U9:D

Sorry I took your facetious comments too seriously. This is something I am working on in my weekly coaching clinic with Holger:D

I think your comment about NOT being able to compete against top teams may be off a bit.....you guys clogged up the field well, fought for loose balls, were first to many 50/50 balls, are getting better every week, and had a bit of a plan with what to do with the ball. These are all things that could make you one of those dark horses that surprises a seeded team in playoffs.....just hopefully not us!!

CDhopinghisgirlsshowupagainstdefendingchamps:wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
what was with the "3 Jim Robsons" on your side. (You and 2 others!) I thought you guys were going to wear out the sideline turf and your vocal chords! At one point, I think you made it 35 yards down the field at a full run faster than your girl did with the ball (all the while calling out the play by play loud enough we could hear on our side....very impressive)! I guess the old adage "do your coaching at practice and let them play in games" doesn't apply in Lickmond......but then again, that chapter in the CSA handbook was right after a proper

Actually, I believe players LEARN more from a game than any practice. If you can see a situation happen in a game and correct it immediately, this is more beneficial than waiting until the next training session or even half-time because they might make the same mistake again. You must have been watching someone else though because I never break into a sprint, even when I'm playing. I walked up and down the sideline trying to get rid of my hangover. There was one other coach(Marco Polo) and a Dad who is used to doing the line.

As for the coaching at practice bit, any dickhead can run 'drills'. I am a firm believer that everything should be game oriented and sometimes an immediate 'lesson' is important. There is more to coaching than just drills, as communicating ideas is just as important, if not more. On to Eagleridge. Do they have a big park because I was getting tired walking up and down on the turf?///

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
On to this week....

Captain: If you are playing at the same ER pitch we did, you are high atop Westwood Plateau with a great view (if the weather clears!). Bad news.....there is a sharp hill/drop-off on one side of the pitch....so if you relentlessly pace again with a hangover - one wrong step and a tumble may be forthcoming:D

As far as drills go....I guess I didn't convey my feelings well enough (my girlfiend always tells me that too, but that's a different stroy!). Repetition is one of the keys to coaching and developing (especially youth). Talking to them and directing (especially during games) is pointless if the foundation of knowledge and repetition hasn't been instilled during training. A training session with technical drills, correcting mistakes, confidence building, and tactical strategy...mixed in with some fun is my main goal on those cold Tus/Thurs nights....but again, that is probably in a CSA book you haven't signed out of the library yet:rolleyes:

This week's predictions:

Abby 2 North Shore 2 (CD hopes as this may keep both off my heels in the standings)
Eagleridge 1 Richmond 1 (ER has 2-3 very good players, but if Richmond shuts them down as they did BBY, this could be tight)
Nanaimo 3 Surdel 1 (CVI is just too talented against this Surdel team that does have a habit of tying games, but not this one)
Van 5 PMoody 0 (just too much firepower and speed from VAN, especially on PM's turf)
Burnaby 2 Semi 2 (last meeting saw a 1-1 tie with both teams playing aggressive with 3 forwards up front)

Good luck to all youth teams this weekend!

CDhatespeoplewhowishgoodlucktoeveryone:mad:
:wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's all about angles and the first win of the season!

Eagleridge 0 Richmond 3

Fcuking tre-men-dous. We had one nice goal and the other goals went of a face and tit respectively. They had one good player, number 16 but I didn't see many other players who were that strong. We defended very well again and our keeper was very solid today. They were poor crossers of the ball. Both teams had a player red-carded as both girls kicked each other after the play was over. We had another shoc-king ref but I guess we just have to live them. Anyway, it was nice to get the first victory and we fully deserved it...........

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats Captain,

After our performance that has to feel good. It's about time however, your coaching record was taking a beating!!;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, it did help a bit. Can you please explain why I had well over $100 in my pocket this morning? I assume it's from the beer fund?

I was still corked from last night and actually missed our pick-up time. Fortunately, the Renshaws came back to get us.......The girls noticed my state right away, which isn't a good thing. However, I did manage to change out of my tremendously styling TWEED suit.

Captain

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the money is from the bar last night. You paid the bill with your visa. The total was about $192.00 I think. You should have something close to that!! Those shots for Bear I guess added up. That's what birthdays are for!! I had a rough one today as well, I believe I woke up after noon.

BTW I have your Supertramp cd in my truck.

Another Saturday night special!!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking hell. There was actually $150 so one of you bastards or bastardettes owe me $44. ;) Fortunately, I had two decent wins today, and that will cover the bill. :) I will post them later once the Willhill is open again........

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I tried to give you more money at the pub and you threw it on the floor!!

The Captain is to big to accept parkhead's money.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0