Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Girls Metro Soccer Results

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still undefeated in 2003

Richmond 0 Burnaby 0

We completely outplayed Burnaby today and were very unlucky not to walk away with the three points. Granted, I missed the first half. The reffing was exceptionally average, despite a blatant missed call in Burnaby's 18 yard box. It was a wreckless challenge and it should have been a penalty. Either way, we deserved a lot better than we got. Bring on Nanaimo/Semi/Vancouver..........

;)

P.S. The above information is false, except for the missed penalty call. Burnaby was in our half for most of the second half but we did defend well. We didn't create much again. As for Vancouver, Semi/Nanaimo, they are by far the best teams in the league. My early prediction is a Vancouver win this year.......

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not too much to add.....

We completely outplayed Richmond yesterday. We also had a blatant PK missed when Richmond's keeper decided two fists forward into our players head (with the ball on the ground) was the best way to challenge a 50/50 ball. Richmond crossed center twice in the second half....once to start the kickoff and once on a long ball when our sweeper did take out their forward (I agree a PK could've been called). Burnaby can pass the ball and make plays with the best of the teams in our league, but can't put the damn thing in the twine! Very frustrating. We outplayed Semi and get a tie, and then we thoroughly outplay Richmond and get a tie. The world doesn't make sense somedays!

The above is completely true:D

Mr. Shamrock, keep up the plan. You guys defended well and yours is the type of team that will "shock" someone or pull off an upset in the first round of cup play. Happens every year....and I predict this year your girls will be the one that will upset a higher seed. I just hope we discover what a goal feels like before we play our first cup game:rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
U14 Burnaby v Guildford

BC Soccer Central has the score between these two from this past Sunday as 14-0 in favour of Burnaby. Given that Guildford is a pretty sharp squad, and had only given up 8 goals previously, I was wondering if this was an error? And if not, what the Hell happened?

14-0 ... Even BD's ladies didn't get smacked around like that. How does a 13 year old recover from that? Hell, how does a coach recover from that?

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Addicted?

Hey FB, I know you and I are soccer fanatics, but now you've gone overboard! You're checking out U14 results???? I wonder if this was out of pure boredom, a relative on the team, or you are indeed planning for the Extreme's future well in advance by scouting this young!?!:D

CDthinks14-0scoresareuglyforeitherteam:eek:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
CD...

Let's just say that my interest in the U14 division is related to a potential future soccer opportunity for myself.

As for the Xtreme... If any of your players are interested in trying out, we have an ID session this Saturday, 6:00pm at Port Moody turf. (Hoping to secure same time and place for next week, too.)

I know it's short notice, but you might have some players who are interested.

Good luck this weekend.

FB

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll pass it on....

Hey FB,

I'll pass the word to my girls.....I really only have 3 or 4 that want to go somewhere with soccer though (college or premier).

As far as luck.....we'll need it. We play Semiahmoo (defending 2 time BC Champs).....in the last 2 games against them we had identical 1-1 ties....we seem to get up for these games! Could be a good game for the Tric-Cities Canadians...errr, I mean, Extreme to come and scout for talent!:p

:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tric-Cities Canadians...errr, I mean, Extreme:rolleyes:
Haha.

For the record, we'll have some non-Burnaby Canadians players to announce in the next week or two. But, if you were building a team, would you not want players from the team that has won the Province Cup two years running?

Eventhough I am obviously biased, I wonder why the Burnaby Canadians aren't held in the same regard as UBC and Surrey. Last two years, we were "lucky", or so I have been told by people that know such things.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, I digress. Good luck to all the TTP'ing U18 teams this weekend. And if any of your players are interested have them get in touch with the Xtreme - xtremesoccer@shaw.ca

FBcuriouswhyonlyCDandtheCaptaincomearoundhere...where'stherest?

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
A comeback for Burnaby!

Well, what a game of contrasting emotions from yesterday's U18 game between Burnaby and Semiahmoo at Burnaby Lake. Semi started slowly under a bit of pressure but continued long balls most of the first half that tired out Burnaby's back line. After 55 minutes, it was 2-0 for Semi and Coach CD had seen enough of his defenders chasing Semi's long/probing balls so he decided to drop his sweeper way back and spread his outside backs wider apart......suddenly the play was "spread" and controlled a bit more by Burnaby. Long balls were quickly turned into outlets for Burnaby up the sidelines and found Semi a bit flat footed on the outside of the park. A great cross in found a Burnaby striker and Semi's keeper up for a 50/50 ball.....could've been a foul either way as both had elbows up, but the ref let play go and Burnaby got the bounce and were now on the score sheet. Ten minutes later, another build up out wide created a nice lofted shot over the keeper to the back of Semi's net.....2-2 game. Exciting finish: 15 minutes left, Burnaby all over Semi.....a two-hander to the back of a Burnaby player's head in the box created a controversial PK....calmly slotted to give Burnaby a 3-2 led and the subsequent win. Tough way to win with a PK, but we'll take it over the defending BC champs!! Morale of the story (Captain, take note as you play them soon): pressure their offense and counter-attack the flanks.....we had so many more chances without playing in the middle of the park and into their hands.

CDwornoutafterrollercoastergamethatendedwellforus!!:D :D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford U14

First off, congrats to CD and a good result against Semi.:wa:

Anyhow, I've done some poking around on this Guildford U14 team and their 14-0 loss a couple of weeks back. By the way, this team is one of the top teams, and defending BC Champs (at U13).

Well from what I hear, the coach got pissed at the ref over a call, and instructed his players to not touch the ball the rest of the game. The result... a 14-0 win for an inferior Burnaby side.

Now, I ask... As youth coaches how do you feel about such behaviour by a coach. Frankly, I think it's appalling, especially at this age. This guy is a Provincial B coach, and he's enrolled in the upcoming National B course, so says his teams web page. From all accounts, again from the web page, his players pay to receive his coaching, under the guise of a soccer school. As a parent, would you not expect something a little more than this. What does this teach the kids? (I've also heard that he doesn't let his players attend BC team camps - which I can't confirm, so that could be rumour.)

This is way off topic, but as someone in the coaching "profession" (using that term lightly), it's guys like this that make it tough for the rest of us to get any respect. Ask yourself why soccer coaches aren't paid - particularly at the select level. Dance teachers are paid. So are piano teachers. Alot of rep hockey coaches are paid too. It's because behaviour like this makes it impossible for us to breakthrough the volunteer and do-gooding parent stereotypes - and be treated like professionals.

Anyhow, I'm going to get off the soapbox now. This stuff just pisses me off. They're 14 year old kids for God's sake. Get a grip man.:mad:

FBheadingbacktotheuneventfulMWSLforum:eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking disgrace......

FBastard,

That is a fcuking disgrace. This guy shoud be 'fired' for such behaviour. Could you PM me and let me know who it is? I am interested to know. Sometimes it is very difficult to say nothing when a ref, who obviously doesn't give a shite about girls' soccer makes a diabolical call, but we have to show some restraint, for many reasons. This guy proved nothing. He just showed that is okay to quit if things aren't going your way. Great stuff......:rolleyes:

Congrats on the win, CD. We play them this weekend. Apparently or team was paddled 7 - 2 on the weekend but I can't comment on the game because I wasn't there. We should receive another lump-ing this weekend too......

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree......

Yes, this Guildford thing is a disgrace. I believe I know of this coach as we were briefly in the same club 5 or 6 years ago. I say briefly as he was turfed after some shite like this went on. Needless to say, if this is the same guy, he has been through about 5 clubs in 6 years due to problems with administrators and the way he runs his teams. FB...can you post the website for the page you were talking about....I want to see if I am right about the guy. If this is the same guy, what amazes me most is that he actually had players "follow" him from club to club.....even though all the while he was being told to leave by the clubs. I blame the parents too. The club's hands end up a bit tied with situations like this when they do make the mistake of giving him the team in the first place....then it is just damage control after the fact. But what are the parents thinking when they see a guy verbally abusing their kids, ref, and other teams??? You can bet my kid wouldn't be around very long in this type of environment.

I know some clubs hire Technical Directors/Head Coaches to oversee and direct their programs, but not many Canadian clubs pay their coaches. I have a buddy from Nova Scotia who is coaching in Washington State.....he gets paid to coach at every level: a small college team, a club select (metro level), and community programs. All of these positions are monitored and reviewed on more than just win/loss results......and if he doesn't do a solid job, he does not get the job again the next year. He makes about $30K total from all sources and takes pride in his roles....and because he is paid, he understands his responsibilites to the club and his players. Sure, there is more money in the US programs, but tell me what scenario you like better as a parent: Pay your $125 registration and chip in with the odd fundraising assistance (the "Canadian" way)......or go the US way that many clubs do: pay more for regi but have input into the club knowing your voice and concerns are heard with regards to the club bringing the coach back again. Some kids here now pay over a hundred bucks a month to be part of Total Soccer, Tulis, or the BC select program......because they know they get "professional coaches" and development. Accountability. Plain and simple......this will ensure progress. We are a few steps behind in our youth programs to have this type of system or mindset though. On this same note, I hear that the Alouette region is looking at paying their metro boys and girls coaches next season....and the coaches will have to apply for the team much as the BC program is set up. A good step to get better coaches. Not saying paying coaches always ensures a better situation, but it does avoid a coach going through 5 clubs and terrorizing situations like this discussed example.

CS, good luck against Semi.....they have a tie and 2 losses in their last 4, so maybe you can stifle them and get a result?? Can you say a SEMISLUMP??? Looks good on them too.

CDjustbrokesoapboxfromthislongwindedrant:rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford team's web page:

http://sharksfc.tripod.com/

(Sorry I didn't use the link button, my computer is somewhat on the fritz.)

If my kid was playing on a select or metro team, I would pay a monthly fee for professional and accountable coaching. Basically what the clubs need to do, is charge all metro/select players a monthly fee. That would be used to pay for select coaches. Each club would pay their U14,15,16,17,18 select coaches a salary (even a nominal one).

Clubs would then be in a position where they would be recruiting coaches. Yes, a techinical director at the club level is a start, but you need to follow that up with paid staff for the select levels, which are the key development programs.

My $0.02.

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree to agree.....

FB...it's like we shared the same textbook while developing our ideas on youth club structures. I was just appointed the TD for the Burnaby Girls Club...and in the coming year, I will be implementing many of these types of ideas. A soccer school and development mentality to go along with coaches who are themselves "coached" is a priority. I see so many coaches (particularly at the younger ages) just throwing a ball on the pitch with no idea or purpose behind it....or 13 kids standing in a group or line while one kid does a drill....yikes!!

Oh yeah, btw.....same guy I thought it was. Good old Chico. Guildford, SFC, SBAA, Semiahmoo, and now Guildford again......and those are only the clubs I know that sent him packing. This guy has a great rep:confused:
Don't know him 1v1, but where there is smoke there is fire.....and with this guy there's a previous forest of burnt down trees. Somehow guys like him maintain some allegiances from the players/parents when they switch clubs....and as I saw on their website, they had some real quality wins last year in Coastal and Provincial cup. Confused.
:confused:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't know him 1v1, but where there is smoke there is fire...
I, however, do. He's a good guy and has a passion for the game. Be careful not to burn too many bridges here, that's all I'm gonna say.

~Regs.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guildford coach

He's a good guy and has a passion for the game.
I don't know him either (while I have talked to people who do), so I won't pass judgement on him as a person. But I think we can all come to a fair opinion on what has transpired with this situation.

Obviously, he has a passion for the game. But as a coach, particularly of 13 year old kids, the coach has to pass that passion on - not the passion to win, but the passion to play the game.

Frankly, he probably did get jobbed by the ref. But what could he possibly have accomplished by instructing his team to protest in such a manner? Letting his charges know it's OK to pack up in the face of adversity? That if you don't like things, tell everyone to fcuk off and go home?

I don't care how much some people will argue with this, many surveys have shown that children look at their sport coaches as mentors, moreso than teachers and even their own parents. That's a tremendous responsibility, and one we as coaches HAVE TO ACCEPT, like it or not.

I am sure the coach probably is a good guy, and a committed father. He's european, and it's football. We all know how that combination works (of course, we Scots don't get worked up because when you can't even knock off the Faroe Islands, disappointment becomes more of a way of life).

But allowing yourself to lose control in such a manner, not only brings the game into horrible disrepute, it has done a horrible disservice to the development of his players, not so much as players, but as young people.

Interestingly enough, this debate has grown into something far greater than discussing this one instance. From the opinions put forth here, it is apparent that there is a fundamental problem within the coaching community, not just in terms of coach development, which is admittedly subpar, but also in terms of coaching ethics, or lack thereof. BC Soccer should address this problem, rather than pumping scores of people through B License courses in order to meet quotas. (Quantity over quality again. The Canadian soccer way!)

FBsurethatsoapboxcan'tholdbothhimandCD! FBout:rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
CD techie at BGSC

So, CD takes over as techie for Burnaby Girls. That leads me to two questions...

1. What happened to Woloshen?
2. CD must have been the only applicant. Have you seen his team play?!!

;) Just kidding. Congrats CD! Good luck with the new position. I hope you have a Costco size case of Advil for all the headaches you're going to get from all the parents who are quite certain their daughter is the next Mia Hamm or Christine Sinclair!

Of course, CD is also coming into the MWSL so he'll also need a morphine drip to dull the pain of dealing with all that too. :p

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
PC not for me!!

Regs, did you read the above discussion or just see the guy's name and jump to his defence because he is "a good guy"? That sounds like the stereotypical neighbour on the news reports after a crime in his neighbourhood......"the guy seemed nice, quiet, and loves all people".....and then he gets arrested for rape or a brutal murder. I don't dispute this fella is probably a great husband, good father, and nice guy to share a few pints with......but we are talking about his role as a youth coach! BTW, I always speak my opinion......if I walked around worrying who I may offend, well, let's just say then I would be on the BCSA board or something....but I am a coach with an opinion on how to teach/guide/mentor/lead the kids I coach. Someone else may have a differing opinion about me....fine...and that's why I think a venue like this is good to debate, discuss, and occasionally diss!! If you know him, I propose hooking him up on here so we can DEBATE it openly with him.

FB.....Darren and the club parted ways some time ago. There were only 7 or 8 apps for the gig.....the club actually hoped to receive a few applications from females to compare and stand up to their male counterparts. I think having a female TD for a girls club would've been a good step, but none came forward:confused: The club asked me if I would be interested in applying and I gladly accepted the challenge. You are right, there may be some headaches, but I love challenges. Speaking of challenges......am I coming into the MWSL? I know my club wants to provide a place for every female to play and is willing to back this with fields, unis, and other resources (the current club motto is "a place for every GIRL to play", so we hope to change GIRL to FEMALE!). We have applied, but I have heard numerous rumours like....a) you'll get in no problem, the MWSL needs clubs like this, b) you won't get in at premier B because the league believes in earning your way up from D2, or c) they have proposed the A and B pool thing, but it won't fly and you'll end up in D1 or 2. So I don't know. When we spoke with Gibson and Cormack, things seemed promising and they were very warm to our idea...but who knows. Any idea when they meet to decide?? I don't want to put a first year team to get slaughtered in the A group or how it is now, nor do I want to start at D2 where other teams at that level aren't really trying for promotion.....so the B pool seemed perfect for our club's goals. Many players that have asked me about this are premier A/B level and wouldn't come play for me if I got D1 or 2. My plan would be in the first year to win the B league....second year middle of the pack and competitive in the A pool....third year, change my name to "Danny" and head off for some CSA fiasco in a corner of the country:rolleyes: I know, I know....a BC title in three years? Well, you gotta dream big, right?!?!:D

CDneverworriesaboutburningbridgesashecurrentlyworksinconstructionbusiness:D

halfvolley

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Claim to fame

CD, without a doubt one of your best posts ever. I have to disagree with Regs stand on defending "a good guy". It's so true how people think if they have a couple pints with them and chat it up a bit they become a good guy to know. That's crap. I don't know him but he sounds and acted like a fool.

Well I know a good guy and he'll do a great job leading the Burnaby club in the right direction. Good on you to take this heavy load on CD and in a way its about time they take notice.

Good luck everyone in the last couple of games.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0