Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Open Canada Cup Western Qualifier

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,,Whatever man.
And It was released a few weeks ago how the new CONCACAF qualifiying works,,I dont have it infront of me but Canada gets a spot in the second round ,thats all I remember.

Oh and I have a bingo thing a ma jig for sale

How convenient?:rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Take constructive critisism a little better Ghouse. You can't deny that your "seeding" hurt the credibility of this tourney- a lot- and you can't deny that that has followed you around.

Whatever.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well Since the Tourney is not going forward, on behalf of the Nomads thanks so much Ghouse for your work. We enjoyed the tourney thoroughly the last two Augusts...

Nomads in 06 Tourney go out in Semis to ACBC A who lost in final to Vancouver United
Nomads in 07 Tourney go out in Q/f to ACBC A who lost in final to Columbus Clan

This weekend I guess goes back to just the Beach Blast... That field is a great location for a big hairy gong show tourney with a kick ass Beer garden...hopefully someone else has the vision/balls/resources to get a Mid August Tourney goin there again sometime in the future.

I know it can be tough to attract premier teams to come and play on the green concrete when it is 30 degrees outside, but it is a great facility for tourneys with a beer garden between fields 2 and 3.

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can imagine if the CONCACAF Champions League is a go for Canadian teams that Bobbaduzzi will have his WhiteCaps in the play-off to go, and would also imagine that the Toronto MLS team would also want a crack at this Cup, there must be money on the line for it.

So is it the winner of the Canada Cup that goes?

Would be great to see a local mens team have a match with one of this counties few pro teams, expecially if they pull off the up set, like that team from Texas in the American Cup last year, I think they upset a MLS or USL team along the way.

hos

I am sure WAB would have a team in this as well since they are the best aging team...:D

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seeding did nothing to hurt the credibility of the tournament,,Every tournament has the home team with better times,fields and divisions. I know ,we play in 8 tournaments a year and if you want some details, Ill give them to you,,the only people to complain were on here and were not involved,I have spoke to all involved and they could care less. You have to play everyone sooner or later anyways to win a tournament. They all had fun and got a run in before the season started and were happy. I had almost all teams returning this year so nothing was lost,,And a 6 team list of new teams wanting in. This location (Bby Turf) and prizes are so exspencive and so much work involved that I have had enough. The grass fields accross the street are booked now and all other fields are either to far apart for a tournament or booked years in advance. I could drop all the prizes and make the tournament a little cheeper but ,,NA. Just not getting the enjoyment I should anymore. We now have a team in the CONCACAF champions cup and that was my goal.(did we have anything to do with that,prob not). I am tired of all the work with no help. I am interested in working on the Winter Cup thing we have been talking about on here but I will not do it alone. I called a meeting for help on that and no one showed . So that got me thinking,,Im just going to do my own thing. Thats all.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ghouse...this has been talked to death so I'll keep my opinion brief. We play in the Saltspring tourney every year. You beat us in the final last year so I know you were there. Saltspring does get prime fields and times but they DO NOT rig the draw with teams from the recreation division and put all the competitive division on the other side. That is what you did. I would agree with the others that your tourney's reputation definitely took a hit because of this.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
You just said they get prime fields and times,,Same shite man and I never rigged the draw like your implying anyways..we did keep teams with the same caliber together so as to not have any blow outs,,you also forget my team only got past the first round because of an upset between 2 other teams.. It was blowen way outa proportion. We had 5 div 3 teams enter the tournament . There was no way I was going to place them vs a VMSL Premier team. I did what i did to better the games for those involved to get better matches before the season started. And like you just said every tournament does it, Its just people like to bash me cause Im on here and they have fun or are just haters.
Revelstoke tournament everyone plays 2-3 games a day the host team plays 1 the day before vs a week for sure team (last year the score was something like 8-1) and then 1 a day..Almost Always in final. On the Kamloops Entry form it says any team who can play Friday night will get an easyer schedule.( Local teams play fridays)Should i go on. No one says shite there or here about that. So lets just drop it..I offered more than anyone ever and I kept my word,,AND I never denied my actions. My tournament My rules Period. You cant please everyone. Ps Every league or tournament has their own unique rules. (VMSL and FVSL have a different set of rules) No one is wrong or discredited.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You just said they get prime fields and times,,Same shite man and I never rigged the draw like your implying anyways..we did keep teams with the same caliber together so as to not have any blow outs,,you also forget my team only got past the first round because of an upset between 2 other teams.

I wasn't implying that you rigged the draw; I'm saying you rigged the draw. You also said it yourself. Spare me the keeping same teams together nonsense...set up a rec division if that's your intent.

My understanding of your tourney is that it was a western qualifier for the Open Canada Cup and not just an ACBC club tourney. And if this statement is correct then surely the tournament is bigger than your club and should be held to a high standard...and I don't think handpicking a draw qualifies. My opinion. You are free to disagree of course as I understand you do ;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the litmus test:

Were ALL teams aware of the tournament format before paying the $1000 entry fee?

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have poked sarcastic fun at the tourney format/rigging etc...

But I do kind of agree how it was set up...
He is still putting football in forward motion on his own dime.

I don't think it would be as fun playing on a premier team, and getting a weak ass group.
Killing teams, as they are trying to kill you. Right before the "real" season starts. Not fun for both sides.

These teams would just get frusterated. Start kicking guys. Premier players getting injured from Muckers/plumbers, and games getting out of hands for div.2 refs etc...

I would rather see the tourney as it was, then the other.
You wouldn't get any div.2/3 teams entering knowing this. Which made up over half of the tourney money.

I would still play in this tourney this year. With the same format. Entering the team as the Surrey Earthquakes of course.

LION

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also,
I am all for that winter champions league Ghouse.
Could possibly help sponsor, and market the tourney.

LION

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wasn't implying that you rigged the draw; I'm saying you rigged the draw. You also said it yourself. Spare me the keeping same teams together nonsense...set up a rec division if that's your intent.

My understanding of your tourney is that it was a western qualifier for the Open Canada Cup and not just an ACBC club tourney. And if this statement is correct then surely the tournament is bigger than your club and should be held to a high standard...and I don't think handpicking a draw qualifies. My opinion. You are free to disagree of course as I understand you do ;)

This statement to me sums it up best: it was a western qualifier for the Open Canada Cup and not just an ACBC club tourney.

And Ghouse- give me a break. I'm not a "hater", and more than once I've stated that I have a hell of a lot of respect for what you are trying to do for the senior game out here. That being said, my opinion is that the reputation of this tournament- which is a legitimate qualifier for a championship- took a big hit when you produced the draw and justified the seeding. You say it didn't matter to the people in it, but there were a lot of teams that did not enter that were lurking to see how things panned out, and considering for next year. Our club included. I can tell you: seeing how the draws were set-up hurt the tourney rep on the street. Period.

Again, I also gave you HUGE credit for recognizing this as an error, and going out to get the ping-pong-what-che-me-callit. Now that you've decided you've had enough (I can understand why), you're back to defending the draw.

And to the ACBC players: your manager does a great job, but so do countless other club managers out there. Guys who give a boatload of their own free time, if not money, to run clubs extremely well, with a formula for proven success. All you have to do is look up to the higher divisions, and see you're not the only one. You may be the loudest, but there are a lot of guys doing great things for the game, they just can't all get together in one room and discuss a thing like an Open Winter Championship. To Ghouse's credit, he did try.

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
GHOUSE - "We had 5 div 3 teams enter the tournament . There was no way I was going to place them vs a VMSL Premier team. I did what i did to better the games for those involved to get better matches before the season started."

If this was a paritcipation focus everyone's a winner sports day collect your ribbons at the bouncey castle that logic would work, but when it's been touted as a Canada Cup Western Qualifier I say the Prem teams should by virtue of seeding have a crack at Div 3 teams or the lowest ranks teams. If the Div 3 team enters a tournament for a berth at a pro/am national tournament they should absolutely expect to be throttled. Why pamper them and look to provide them with a good game.

....balls out I say.

beckhamandposh

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
didn't some teams entered this tourney in hopes of winning cash rather than playing teams comparable to themselves?

personally, I thought this open canada cup was a bit redundant. To call it semi/pro was a huge stretch. The regular "A" cup national tourney in October is the closest thing to crowning a national champion. Clanbus would rather have won nationals

good try never the less.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyways all that being said....Elvis has now left the building.
Thanx again to all who helped.
Have a good summer guys.

Rasa

Jun 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
ghouse...it seems that you don't understand why some people are upset at how the draw was set-up. I wasn't involved in the tourney, but can see why people would have a problem with that aspect. Can't you?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the horse is now truly dead and beat, and needs to be buried...

You guys are not going to get the man to change his mind, or opinions.

It is over and done and in the past.

turn the page.

Attachments

• GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif
    GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 45

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0