Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premiership 2004 -2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1234

Jan 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Souness set for Newcastle

It is a club where everything is there to be successful and I just hope I'm the man to bring it to them

Graeme Souness
New Newcastle manager

Graeme Souness has quit as Blackburn Rovers manager to take over at Newcastle United.
Blackburn have revealed Souness has left the club and that he has agreed terms to succeed Sir Bobby Robson.

Souness said: "I'm sad to be leaving but I'm excited. I'm joining one of the biggest clubs around."

He will take charge on Monday 13 September, after Newcastle's game against Blackburn on Saturday, although he leaves Ewood Park immediately.

Souness added: "I hope people can understand my reasons for leaving Blackburn. I think I'm ready for a big challenge and they don't come much bigger than this.

"Newcastle is one of the best-supported clubs around. It is a club where everything is there to be successful and I just hope I'm the man to bring it to them."

Blackburn have appointed long-serving Tony Parkes as caretaker manager for the sixth time.

Newcastle had targeted Birmingham's Steve Bruce and Aston Villa manager David O'Leary.

O'Leary appeared to be favourite for the job after Bruce insisted he would be staying at St Andrews.

But Souness, regarded as an outsider for the post, is taking over at the troubled Tyneside club after talks with chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Blackburn chief executive John Williams said: "My reading of the situation is quite clear.

"Graeme is very reluctant to leave a job he considers one of the best in the business, but he views Newcastle as a massive opportunity and one he cannot resist.

"But now is the time to look forward and we need to focus all our energies on finding Graeme's successor.

"We have an excellent squad of players and have a lot to offer the new manager, not least a financially stable club, and we expect considerable interest in the position.

"It is time to move on, we know what we are looking for and anticipate a very strong list of applicants."

Souness is understood to have told Blackburn's players he was leaving the club when they arrived for training on Monday morning.

Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has been touted among the early contenders to replace Souness at Blackburn.

Souness, a 51-year-old Scot, was a former star player at Liverpool and he also managed the Merseyside club.

He was also manager at Rangers, Galatasaray, Southampton, Torino and Benfica before taking over at Blackburn in March 2000.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Showdown on Monday with Liverpool FC at Old Trafford versus Manchester United. Funny, no talk on here this year comparing Keane and Gerrard. I think the debate has been settled. Fcuking hell, you know you're not scary anymore when your neighbor's 16 year-old kid isn't afraid of punching it up with you. Of course United do have Phil Neville to replace Keane in the centre of midfield. Christ, someone help me up, I just fell off my chair laughing.

LFC have been flying the last couple of games and the Rafalution has entranced the scouse masses as, finally, the dire Gerard Houllier era has ended. Now just have to beat United to get the ball really rolling.

What was that you were saying about a battering, Walks?

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuking hell, you know you're not scary anymore when your neighbor's 16 year-old kid isn't afraid of punching it up with you.

Dap, you've never been to Manchester have you ?? Fcuking 10 year olds there will have a go at you :rolleyes: (especially if they're from Moss Side :D )

There's no doubt that the best thing that Liverpool did was get rid of Houllier. Benitez coming in was brilliant and by mid-season, well ...... they'll be where they usually are ........ hovering 'round 4th place. Let's be honest Dap, all you can hope for this year is a decent Cup run and making the Champions League next year.

The clash on Monday is certainly Liverpool's biggest game of the season, their Cup Final if you will :D. Certainly, Gerrard is having an excellent season but to compare him now with Keane is wrong.

Gerrard is 24 and Keane is 33 and Keano is definitely in the twilight of his career. His injuries have certainly slowed him down but if you compare chip butties to Trophy's, there's no comparison. Fcuking piss take really. Let's see how many Premiership titles, FA Cup trophy's and trebles Stevie has when he's 33.

Your taxi's waiting .........

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Walks said:
Gerrard is 24 and Keane is 33 and Keano is definitely in the twilight of his career. His injuries have certainly slowed him down but if you compare chip butties to Trophy's, there's no comparison. Fcuking piss take really. Let's see how many Premiership titles, FA Cup trophy's and trebles Stevie has when he's 33

It's all kibbles and bits, really. No comparison of the trophy cabinets just yet but Gerrard will likely be nominated for European Footballer of the Year while Keano is serving his community hours giving sponge baths to seniors at the rest home. Ah, seems to me El Keano didn't even play in the Champions League final in '99. Poor lad, must be gutting to not play a part in such an epic win. Guess they didn't need him after all.

Regardless, Keane is an irrelevance in the upcoming match-up. I'm sure LFC will be keying on the Ginger Ninja or the boyish lad with the stepover fetish. Might have to keep an eye on Hidalgo as well but Hyppia should take care of him. As for ManU, Ferdinand will be back but is he ready to deal with the new King of the Kop, Luis Garcia? I think not.

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for ManU, Ferdinand will be back but is he ready to deal with the new King of the Kop, Luis Garcia? I think not.

The new King of the Kop ?? Holy fcuk man ..... were you watching the same game that I was on the weekend ?? Fcuking wank missed 32 guilt edged chances and was lucky to score his yes, 1st for Liverpool in the league.

If he's the King of the Kop, we'll win 4-0 :D

Ah, seems to me El Keano didn't even play in the Champions League final in '99. Poor lad, must be gutting to not play a part in such an epic win.

You're right, Keano didn't play in the Champions League Final but his Semi-Final performance against Juventus was of legendary stuff. Single handedly grabbed United by the scruff of the neck and kicked Zidane, Davids, Del Piero and company into oblivion.

How 'bout 2,000 tokens as a side bet Dap ?? As you do .....

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two grand it is.

Side prediction: Cisse to start up front with Garcia, Baros to come on with 25 minutes left to score Pool's third.

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Big game is a understatment!!! The boys are really flying at the moment, but lets keep our feet on the ground, after all it was only West Brom and a depleted Monaco.
What's impressed me more than anything is the way they've won the games. Benitez is starting to impress the way he wants to play. Garcia looks awesome and Alonso is the second coming of Jan Molby, except 100 pounds lighter or so!

As for the Gerrard/Keane comparisons....there is none. Gerrard is the complete player, he is what Keane was 10 years ago. He is the player that can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and turn it around.
Intresting to see who gets the nod between the pipes, Dudek has looked very shaky and if the game was'nt this important I would of liked to have seen Kirkland in net.

As for Horseface, Carragher will just lead him over to the cornerflag with some sugar-cubes! Hopefully Stepover comes over the other side of the pitch and lets Josemi whack him a bit.

Lets hope Shrek is on the bench cause I cant wait to hear what the Reds fans have in store for him!

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dapotayto said:
but Gerrard will likely be nominated for European Footballer of the Year while Keano is serving his community hours giving sponge baths to seniors at the rest home.

You're absolutely right Spud as Gerrard will probably be at Real Madrid by then.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jinky said:
You're absolutely right Spud as Gerrard will probably be at Real Madrid by then.

Yes, thanks for ruining my day. Unfortunately, it would not be surprising, that's for certain. Michael Owen would probably like that move too. Then he could watch his chum Stevie play from the best seats in the Bernabeau. The Real Madrid bench. Having fun Mikey?

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Real's reserve team is probably top 10 in Europe. the real question for United is who's in goal? Howard has let in a few howlers over the last little bit. Can they trust them in this huge game.

Red Forever

Jul 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does'nt matter who starts, they'll both be picking the ball out the back of the net at least twice.

But then Utd will probably pot 3 in the 9 mins of stopage time that Fergie is screaming for!!!

I'm saying 2-1 Liverpool with Alan "kiss the badge" Smith getting sent off!!

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dap I will say it to you again...Liverpool sucks :eek: . But I do hope they stuff Manchester United!!

Your buddy
Toastopoulos :D

P.S. You playing Sunday?

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting article as to the "demise" of Man United last year and a few interesting omens that will help them regain their rightful place...at the top of the league. :D

The Lazarus Effect
Dominic Raynor

Manchester United's alarming decline from 2002/03 Premiership champions to potential also-rans in the fledgling 2004/05 season can be put down to the absence of a single player, or so we are led to believe.

Rio Ferdinand's eight-month suspension, imposed for missing a routine drugs test at United's Carrington training ground in September last year, was the stimulus for the Old Trafford club's capitulation.

And while this claim may fly in the face of the 'one player doesn't make a team' mantra, the statistics do actually bare it out. Before the £29.3million defender's last appearance for United in January 2003 the club were one point clear at the top of the Premiership. By the end of the campaign the Red Devils were licking their wounds in third place, 15 points behind Arsenal.

This season United are already nine points behind the Gunners, after only five games, and the defensive frailties that have gifted goals to their opponents cannot be mentioned without Ferdinand's name being uttered in the same breath.

What excellent news then that Ferdinand, the apparent embodiment of all United's problems, has completed his ban. The 26-year-old is eligible to return for Monday night's clash with arch-rivals Liverpool and everything is set to be peachy again at the Theatre of Dreams.

Unfortunately for United it's not so. While Ferdinand's departure certainly coincided with a down turn in the fortunes of the Old Trafford club, the defender's absence cannot be hailed as the sole catalyst for the crumbling of the red empire.

Ferdinand's exit was just one of a series of tumultuous event's that had a negative effect on one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Old Trafford was rocked by a high-profile bust-up between manager Sir Alex Ferguson and major shareholders JP McManus and John Magnier. The Irish duo - dubbed the Coolmore Mafia - became embroiled in legal proceedings regarding a dispute over the lucrative stud fees for racehorse Rock of Gibraltar, throwing Ferguson's future at the club in doubt, fuelling rumours of a coup d'etat.

US sports tycoon Malcolm Glazer responded and instructed Commerzbank to increase his stake in Manchester United Plc to 18.25 per cent, adding to the takeover speculation, followed by news that chief executive Peter Kenyon had defected to Chelsea after spending £26million on players, who, in the majority, were not up to standard. The new recruits of David Bellion, Eric Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson were simply not good enough to plug the gaps when injuries struck.

Meanwhile, United were fighting Ferdinand's corner. The defender had 'forgotten' to produce a urine sample after training because he was out shopping with Eyal Berkovic. Old Trafford officials believed their player should have escaped with the same £2,000 fine imposed on Manchester City's Christian Negouai for a similar offence.

Ferdinand became the perfect focal point to bemoan the difficulties that befell United and now his return is expected by many to herald a return to dominance.

That is massive responsibility with which to saddle a defender, who is not match fit and must slot into a team that looks more vulnerable than at any stage since Ferguson launched a phenomenal run of success with the FA Cup triumph in 1990.

But such are the current fortunes of the club that Ferdinand is being prepared to go straight back into the starting line-up. He traveled with the Red Devils for the 2-2 draw in Lyon, even though his eight-month ban doesn't expire until midnight on Sunday, and he is also involved in extra training sessions.

The weight of expectation will prove heavy, but, fortunately for Ferdinand, just as his exit became the symbol of troubled times, his return to action coincides with a series of boosts that threaten to put United back on track.

The £27million capture of England hero Wayne Rooney on transfer deadline was a show of strength - signaling to their rivals that United still have the pulling power and desire to attract the best talent available. And although the former Everton striker won't be fit for action for another two weeks his presence in the ranks is a boost to morale.

United's record-breaking striker Ruud van Nistlerooy returned earlier than expected from a hernia operation to bang in two timely goals in Europe in midweek - breaking Denis Law's longstanding club record. The Dutch striker's reappearance should take most of the burden off new signing Alan Smith, who has scored five times whilst carrying the attack for United.

Cristiano Ronaldo returned to bolster the ranks from an extended stint on international duty with Portugal at Euro 2004 and the Olympics, likewise Argentina's Gabriel Heinze.

Injuries forced Heinze into an unexpected debut for United last weekend, having spent two months on international duty since his £6.9million switch from PSG, but he marked his first game with a goal and a performance steeped in a self belief that had been missing from the United ranks.

This is the situation into which Ferdinand will return. And while Rio Ferdinand the player may not be the reason for United's disintegration and possible resurgence, his return and all that it has come to represent, will be United's final opportunity to get their Premiership season back on track.

The last United player to return from a hefty-ban with such devastating effect was Eric Cantona. After serving a nine-month ban for a 'Kung-Fu' kick the former Leeds United forward scored the equalizer against Liverpool in his first game back and United went on to win the title.

Those United fans that believe in omens will be hoping that former Leeds defender Ferdinand can have a similar effect against Liverpool and on the rest of the season. Those who don't, will be hoping that he can provide whatever is missing before it's too late.

We'll see Monday! :cool:

DcoolconfidencethatunitedwillwinJones

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Magic goal just scored by Henry against Bolton after 30 minutes. Four touches from 35 yards out and in the back of the net. No one worldwide can score like him at the moment.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ehhhh, you're not just getting home are you, CIC? We need your Thierry Henry like prowess on the pitch today against Sikh Temple. I'm sure you just finished your morning jog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0