Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Women's Premier 2009/10

K9

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The game last night was a shocker. Every single player on Coquitlam was out to lunch. They were missing a few key players, but the ones who were on the park didn't really show up either. It happens. It's definitely a learning curve for them as they now know what it will take to beat a talented team like surrey, who by the way looked like a completely different team than earlier in the season minus a few veterans. Where did those new players come from? Are they young? Or are they not from the lower mainland?

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
K9, you confused me. How does CMF "now know what it will take to beat surrey"? Does a 6-0 thumping make you suddenly aware of what you should have done for the last 90 minutes to win?
And Surrey looks completely different? They are pretty much the same team as they were in Nov/Dec with the addition of 2 or 3 players....kind of like everyone else at this time of year.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got to thinking after seeing the result from last night's "match of the giants"....
I always measure my team's progress or results by comparing against the top teams. So, with way too much time on my hands today, I've compiled some data. So here's how the top 6 in the league matchup against each other (non-cup play) if you throw away the results against the bottom 3 teams, followed by a second table of how the top 4 match up against each other when you take away the games against the bottom 5.

GP GF GA GD PTS
Coquitlam 9 18 11 7 21
Surrey 9 17 7 10 21
North Shore 10 19 10 9 19
Burnaby 9 13 19 -6 11
Westside 9 9 17 -8 7
Richmond 8 6 16 -10 3

GP GF GA GD PTS
Coquitlam 6 14 9 5 15
Surrey 6 13 6 7 12
North Shore 6 7 10 -3 4
Burnaby 6 7 16 -9 4

And just for good measure....we all hear the hockey "streaks" when analysts say the Canucks have "won 3 of 4" or "haven't lost in 7"....so another measure I like to use is recent run of play....so including cup play, here are the top 6 team's records in 2010 against all league competitors:

Coquitlam 4 wins, 1 loss
Surrey 6 wins, 1 pk cup win
North Shore 4 wins, 2 losses
Burnaby 4 wins, 1 loss, 1 pk cup loss
Westside 3 wins, 3 losses
Richmond 2 wins, 3 losses

I know, WAYYYYYYY to much free time today.... :)

K9

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
K9, you confused me. How does CMF "now know what it will take to beat surrey"? Does a 6-0 thumping make you suddenly aware of what you should have done for the last 90 minutes to win?
And Surrey looks completely different? They are pretty much the same team as they were in Nov/Dec with the addition of 2 or 3 players....kind of like everyone else at this time of year.

Gooner, one horrible game for CMF doesn't mean all of a sudden they aren't a good team. Surrey seemed a lot stronger than the last time we played them, and their "few" additions have made a big difference for them. For any team to compete with surrey, including yours, they have to play smart, strong and disciplined, which were non-existent for CMF in last night's game. Actually, a 6-0 thumping is what we needed. Good thing it happened in a pretty meaningless game.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

No they're not.....they are a COMPLETELY different team from the team we played at Minoru in October than the team which spanked us 5 - 0....They were missing a couple in our our last 1 - 0 game but I suppose we could say the same. :(

knaacks

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
K9, how could this be a meaningless game? Did you think you had a lock on the title? We came to the game knowing we had to win by 2 goals to have a chance to repeat. Looking at the tiebreaking scenario and hoping that we win our last game, the game plan for us was to win . How we won was a surprise but we have had games like that this year as well. When we played you in Nov. we had only 12 players and with an injury before the half, no subs for the rest of the game. You had 18 girls out that night. Burnaby, again 12 players, missing alot of our better players. We have had the upsets. It's how we deal with the aftereffects that make SU a consistent contender. We didn't have Megan last night, Randee out with injuryies, 3 girls away on holidays etc etc. I think Coquitlam is better than what showed on the field last night ( your record speaks for itself ) Just move past it and focus on what really counts as we head for Provincial cup. I'm sure we'll have a rubber match at some point ! Moving on............

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gooner, one horrible game for CMF doesn't mean all of a sudden they aren't a good team.

I was merely pointing out that Surrey had pretty much the same players all season with the addition of Kyle and Thorlakson in the new year....Knaacks may correct or confirm, but other than having only 12 or so players at games early in the season (as many teams did) they haven't overhauled or brought in wholesale additions. I saw them play in Sept/Oct once or twice and I know they had pretty much the same line up when we played them a few weeks ago...and I know cause I have the scouting notes from those games! :)
Did I say CMF aren't a good team? I do think they are a good team....I've made that comment before...they're experienced and their younger players are quick and they have one of the top keepers in the league...which is why I was surprised they lost by that large of a margin but I also have their scouting notes! haha :)

K9

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was merely pointing out that Surrey had pretty much the same players all season with the addition of Kyle and Thorlakson in the new year....Knaacks may correct or confirm, but other than having only 12 or so players at games early in the season (as many teams did) they haven't overhauled or brought in wholesale additions. I saw them play in Sept/Oct once or twice and I know they had pretty much the same line up when we played them a few weeks ago...and I know cause I have the scouting notes from those games! :)
Did I say CMF aren't a good team? I do think they are a good team....I've made that comment before...they're experienced and their younger players are quick and they have one of the top keepers in the league...which is why I was surprised they lost by that large of a margin but I also have their scouting notes! haha :)

I will correct myself, I'm sure surrey has had pretty much the same players all season, but a handful at last night's game were not at our first game against them.

K9

Nov 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
K9, how could this be a meaningless game? Did you think you had a lock on the title? We came to the game knowing we had to win by 2 goals to have a chance to repeat. Looking at the tiebreaking scenario and hoping that we win our last game, the game plan for us was to win.

Knaacks, what I meant was good thing it was not a play off game. I know that if you place first in the league you get the best position in the play off draw, but the top four teams are all competitive and have the potential to win provincials. Our goal now is to make sure we are ready for playoffs and to never allow ourselves to stoop to such a low level again. I agree, moving on...

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should be a wide open provincial cup, that's all I know....of course Surrey go in as favourites. 5 or 6 teams from MWSL can give each other a run on any given day including richmond unless you believe the Captain's "awe shucks, good luck everyone, hope we get enough players" possum routine! :)
Add in Gorge and the young Caps and you have one of the most wide open cup competitions in a number of years....do you guys that have been around a bit agree?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should be a wide open provincial cup, that's all I know....of course Surrey go in as favourites. 5 or 6 teams from MWSL can give each other a run on any given day including richmond unless you believe the Captain's "awe shucks, good luck everyone, hope we get enough players" possum routine! :)
Add in Gorge and the young Caps and you have one of the most wide open cup competitions in a number of years....do you guys that have been around a bit agree?

Gooner, it is the way it is this year. I didn't have that problem last season. Who knows? JAR might be in the mix before we know it? I am really hoping to have two consecutive weekends where we have the same starting 11 this season.....That would be great. :D

Either way, I think Surrey United is still the team to beat with Coquitlam/North Shore/Burnab being the other possible teams. Westside is always difficult to play against and to be honest, we can usually give any team in the league a good game....I'm sure some teams might even want to avoid playing us in the first round. But then again, other teams would like it.

Good luck to everyone. :)

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's just TTP'ing Captain....you guys outplayed our midfield last game and we just had more depth to pull away....I know full well there will be some upsets...in fact, I'm planning on it! :)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that this year's Cup is pretty wide open. However, no different from last year, where Richmond came through to the final. The last game aside, Coquitlam, Surrey, and North Shore would be my favourites from MWSL. But all of the top six have a legitimate chance. The Whitecaps Prospects will be strong, but are not battle-tested enough to get through three Provincial Cup games.

Winning the League should be treated as just that and nothing more. What I mean is that winning the League is mark of consistency over a long (too long) season, and is an achievement that all teams should strive for. But with regards to its seeding value, that is overestimated. League Champ gets number 1 MWSL seed. It does mean a bye to the QF, but it only guarantees your seeded away from the #1 Island team and #2 MWSL team. You could still quite easily be in the same half of the draw as MWSL #3 or the Whitecaps.

So for instance, should Surrey win League, and Westside wins the Cup (for sake of making a point). Surrey would be MWSL 1, and Westside would be MWSL 2. Assume Gorge is LIWSA 1. This means Surrey would not be in the same half of the draw as Westside or Gorge. But could very easily end up on the same side as Coquitlam, Whitecaps, North Shore, etc.

Frankly, other than the bye, the seeding is almost irrelevant. Unless you seed the whole draw, it doesn't matter.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's a great recap FB...I didn't realize the seeding process made about as much sense as throwing all the teams in a hat and drawing names! :)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look at last year's draw for us......we finished 4th I think in league play.....played Slickers.....then Metro Ford......then Gorge.........Renegades had to go to the Island right away if I'm not mistaken.....no real pattern at all

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Assuming the top 4 seeds got through to the league cup semis? Burnaby advanced in pk's against Westside tonight....both teams were missing many key players and the play showed. The other two league games between the two were skilled, tough, and tactically decent games but not this one. No offense to select teams, but we both would have struggled to beat lower tier teams tonight. Anyways, hopefully with the Olympics over we can get back on track with more than 9 players at training. :(

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gooner. Website not updated yet, but wanted to give you heads up. Semi-final is set for Friday March 5, 8:00pm @ Charles Best. Should be a good one. I'd wish you luck, but I'd be lying. ;)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0