Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I have read I think we may have picked up their scraps rather than poached from them. Center back position for me this year is a crap shoot. If the other new guy from South America can play and Waston doesn't get carded and called for PK every other game we should be good. If not we may be a mess because the two other guys we have are young an inexperienced and this guy from Portland wasn't very good last year and gave away lots of PK's.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
To get rid of big Irishman is one sad thing ,but adding this guy in the back is nothing more than the money crap shoot. Big Irisman is older but man this guy can not cover under lateral attack. He gets watching the ball and forgets where his man is. Way more goals against this year. Robbo got a better contract but did not add better player than the Irishman. I hope FC Edmonton gives O'Brian job as a director of the club, or Fonseca gives him a job in Canadian program. One solid person that some day could lead this country to better World standings. As of now 100 in the world is not good enough.
It's OK we will score two a game but might give up three a game. Long season still tine to buy a guy with speed as a sweeper. Seattle will have a hay day with us. Kah shuld be going to Bases speed training or Robbo will go grey in a year.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kah will help settle Manneh down during those moments where he is substituted in favour of Hurtado, Mattocks, Salg.... well, you get the picture...

Jovan was originally a South Burnaby product... I still remember a goal he scored from about 40 on my squad when I was coaching at Wesburn... he would have been about 12 at the time...

What's odd for me is that for whatever reason he doesn't get a sniff with the WFC youth program, goes elsewhere to develop, and is then drafted by the Caps rather than simply assimilated for free as a homegrown player. Rectifying a past mistake, I suppose....

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
MT if Jovan does well for him self he will open the doors for other kids from here. We all know Caps should have four Canadians on a starting team. But for some unknown reason Bob always took American kids. No better than our kids but have more luck. Starting team this year will be stronger than last year. But I think we are bit week on a sweepers spot. I would never go with a slow sweeper. It kills you, always one goal a game is given if your sweeper has no top pace. Robb thinks he is Ok in that spot. I ??? big times.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

Thanks for the story. Very, very inspiring! Quinn and his parents deserve a medal as well as that doctor who waived his fees so another child could be helped.

On the other hand it is pathetic that a 7-year old kid has to collect money for his friend's operation. Where the hell is Canadian Government?
Reduce ridiculous expenses, reduce perks and benefits for all Government officials, and there will be enough money to pay for numerous operations that can help anyone who really needs help. But, greedy politicians are only creative when they think about ways how to increase taxes; they never get creative about reducing unnecessary expenses, perks, and benefits.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe they didn't pass on him they made him an offer which is why they get his discovery rights but he decided to sign with Philly. The real question is this stupid discovery rule. Why should the Whitecaps get anything? I am happy they get something but this is another one of those stupid MLS rules they need to get rid of for the league to grow.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are a lot of stupid rules in MLS that I guess to their credit has allowed the league to survive but you have to ask what the tipping point will be when it becomes a hindrance!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can see why.

They are trying to avoid the implosion that the old NASL had due to out-of-control salaries, plus they are trying to create a brand and fanbase. In any footballing market, you'll have rich teams and poor teams. What is lacking here is the longtime, never veering support the English system- and most others- enjoy. In the US and Canada, the rich team / poor team dynamic would still exist, except here it would mean New York, LA, Toronto, and maybe Seattle would be able to buy their squads, while the rest of us would have to somehow try and keep up while not blowing the budget. The MLS needs the Salary Cap, and a lot of the oddball rules around it.

This one is weird, though, almost like the CFL Negotiating list thing. I don't quite get it, but nontheless, there it is. It would sure be nice if teams could "chase" their new signings that are either unattached or up for contract, and attempt to compete iside the parameters of their cap space.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh I agree that a salary cap is needed for the health of the league otherwise before you know it teams will be spending 17 million dollars a year on three players.....ummm wait TFC did what and they admitted they would be operating at a loss as revenues would never meet those wages.

A salary cap is a good thing but the league has to work towards transparency and get rid of a lot of very strange rules if they want to become more relevant in the North American market.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm really not sure why we couldn't be one of those rich teams.
Kerfoot, networth 2Billion
Mallet, networth 800 Million
Steve Luczo, 100 Million
Nash, 95 million.

almost 3 billion in networth, with a season total of $7,926,184 spent on players. Throw in a huge DP for 7 million and im sure you have a little spending money at the end of it. Give me strength. Maybe even splurge for a grass field and attract some big names.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steve Luczo, 100 Million
Nash, 95 million.

almost 3 billion in networth, with a season total of $7,926,184 spent on players. Throw in a huge DP for 7 million and im sure you have a little spending money at the end of it. Give me strength. Maybe even splurge for a grass field and attract some big names.

A big, open grass stadium wouldn't be as intimate an atmosphere as we have now, we definitely wouldn't have all those thousands of empty seats to help the ' you fat bastard ' chant sound louder :rolleyes: ...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Steve Luczo, 100 Million
Nash, 95 million.

I think because if you are running a business, you have a responsibility to run it properly. You don't get into any business just to lose money (right @Rangerforever ?). You are limited by revenues, and as long as league revenues such as TV / Radio / etc. remain where they are, your budget is limited.

That said, I do agree that a little capital expenditure on a grass pitch that can be brought in and out of the building would be money well spent. This would be a dream come true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0