Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think he got the Youth Socks too, good thing you have small shinnys. One word of advice, stay away from the OJ on Road trips or is it, stay away from OJ drinkers on Road Trips. Good on ya.

hos

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That picture had to be taken in the warmup to the Portland game. There was no #27 warmup top so I had to use Gordie Lyall's #15. And actually I now officially wear #25.

Not sure how long it will last now that the 10 man injury reseve list has shrunk down to 3, but it's been fun thusfar. Oh well, we'll see this friday versus Calgary.

By the way, in my opinion, the Whitecaps have one of the best unis around.

Gomesy

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gomesy16 said:
By the way, in my opinion, the Whitecaps have one of the best unis around.

Gomesy

Even better than the Abruzzo kit you wore?

Zaurrini

PS I never did find out where u were for the playoff game......

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just found this...the best 11 Whitecap/86er's of alltime as voted on by us the fans :D

Here is your Vancouver All-Time Starting 11
COACH

Bob Lenarduzzi
1987 - 1993
The winningest coach in Vancouver sports history, Lenarduzzi guided the 86ers to six straight first place finishes, four consecutive CSL Championships, and a North American sports record 46-game undefeated streak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORWARDS

Peter Beardsley
1981-1983 · 81GP 29G 27A
Vancouver was the launching point of young Beardsley's illustrious career, which saw him star for Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, and the English National Team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Catliff
1988 - 94 · 144GP 79G 2A
Twice CSL scoring champion, and second on Vancouver's all-time scoring list, "big John" also earned 43 caps for Canada.

Kevin Hector
1978 - 80 · 73GP 40G 24A

A former star at Derby County, "King Kevin" became a huge hit with Whitecap fans, as his prolific scoring was a key to the team's success in the late seventies.

MIDFIELDERS

Alan Ball
1979 - 80 · 38GP 10G 20A

One of England's all-time greats, this fiery midfielder's arrival in Vancouver midway through the 1979 season was a key influence in the Whitecaps Soccer Bowl drive.

Oliver Heald
1996 - 98, 2000-present · 175GP 37G 27A

Heald has played more games for Vancouver than any other active player. A great passer of the ball, this eight-year veteran also has a near perfect record from the penalty spot.

Willie Johnston
1979-82 · 66GP 5G 19A

"Wee" Willie Johnston's outrageous antics and equally outrageous skill on the ball made him a legendary figure in Vancouver sports.

Peter Lorimer
1981 - 83 · 87GP 23G 39A

A great Scottish international and a hero at Leeds United, "Thunderfoot" was a crafty player with one of the hardest shots in the world.

DEFENDERS

John Craven
1978 - 80 · 79GP 13G 2A

Hard as nails, this tough Englishman helped Vancouver earn the reputation as having the strongest defence in the NASL. He also scored a surprising number of goals.

Chris Franks
1994-present · 163GP 11G 10A
Vancouver's longest serving active player, Franks combines superb skill with an almost reckless zeal for launching himself into tackles.

Bob Lenarduzzi
1974-84, 1987-88 · 362GP 34G 64A
An original Whitecap, Bobby is the NASL's all-time leader in games played. The most versatile player in the league, he appeared at every position, including goalkeeper.

GOALKEEPER

Phil Parkes
1976, 1978-79 · 89GP 27SO 1.02GAA

Parkes joined the Whitecaps from Wolverhampton and soon became a fan favourite. He was considered the NASL's top goalkeeper during his years at Vancouver.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No offense to Ollie, but I think I would have Alan Hinton in front of him :D

I wonder where guys like Roger Kenyon, Rudi Kroll, Trevor Whymark, and Stevie Mac finished in the voting?

Cheers,

~Regs.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bobby said today in the paper that it was for WhiteCap/86er players, well what about Dom or even Capt.

I think the next poll should be Top Local Players for the last 25 years. Then you would some great guys like Stemo on the team.

hos

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone listen to MoJo radio? Anyone sick to death of them continually replaying Ollie’s interview? Alright Ollie we get it. We know you don't go into a game looking to tie (unless you're Burnaby)

Caps have chance 7 of 9 to clinch a play off spot tonight. Yippeee.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hos,

I was shocked Dom didn't make it. Isn't he the all time leading scorer? That must be worth something???

KNVB- bitter?

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The whole legend thing is moot. Two different Whitecap teams in two very different leagues. Those of us who remember the NASL in it's heyday can appreciate some of the talent we were privileged to see. No offense to our current players but come on now. :rolleyes:

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I went to the Whitecaps/Seattle Sounders playoff game on Sunday night and came away very entertained, as far as Whitecaps games go. The pace was quick and the tackles were hard, but most of all, the importance of the game brought out a really great atmosphere, in part to the travelling away supporters in the bronze section. There wasn't much singing or chanting, but after Seattle tied up the score near the end of the first half and the goalscorer ran over to their loud fan support, you could not only hear, but feel the atmosphere pick-up - as if we finally noticed the Seattle fans. A venue that was closer to the field (like the bronze section) would have made this a better atmosphere.

There is something about American fans that is much different than Canadian supporters. I went to the Giants (jr. hockey) playoff game against Everett Silvertips, and they had half of Pacific Coliseum sold out with replica jerseys, cow bells, horns and fanatical support. They are more vocal (what else is new when it comes to Americans :rolleyes: ) but overall more supportive. I found the same thing when I was in San Jose and watched the Sharks. If a team isn't doing well down state side and is struggling for support, they really must not be doing too well.

I was impressed with Marty Nash and Johnny Sulentic in the middle of the park but as the game got closer to the end and the Whitecaps feeling more pressure to get the go-ahead goal to send the total goal series into overtime, the more they by-passed them in the middle by thumping long, hopless balls to Carlo and Jason. It also appeared that they both, Nash and Sulentic, weren't too interested in getting it either, whether that had to do with fitness or coach Fonseca's coaching philosophy, I don't know. They were much more dangerous playing through them. Xausa getting hurt (knee) didn't help, either. experience would have definately helped.

There was quite a few people there? Anyone else take in the game?

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuk !after watching niall thompson friday night at mundy,its a shame he is not playing at a higher level,this guy is going to rip the metro league appart,no questions asked,as for the whitecraps who cares!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Dial 9-1-1

Jul 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone read the article in today's Province about the Caps?

Was it just the reporter's spin on things, or does the Caps' new coach sound like a complete yahoo of the Mike Keenan variety?

Early morning practices during the season even though 99.9% of the team needs a second (real) job?

And what's with the December 28 training session, anyhow?

The real story, however, was the picture of Alfredo Valente. I'm sure he'll be benched most of the season for wearing mittens to the training.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Dial, he seems a bit militant doesn't he?
The lad's obviously trying to make his mark early.

What surprised me is he's American.
I just assumed a Canuck would have got the job for some reason.

I heard Regs wore mittens in his match last night so go easy.

"It was sooo cold out last night"

I'm gonna call him Alfredo from now on.

Whatever ya litte girl's blouse

:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was Lion who tried to wear mittens AND a toque :rolleyes:

Anyone go to the tryout last night? :D

~Regs.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's true, LION did try to wear a touque and mittens, but Regs was a bit of a big girls blouse!!! ;) (notthatthere'sanythingwrongwiththat) :rolleyes:

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anyone see on Sports Page last night the quick clip of Bennet on the sidelines of the Whitecaps practice? What's he doing there after leaving his last job?
Possible coach of the Reserve team maybe?

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chris Bennett was announced as the reserve men's coach I thought. This was done the same time they announced Pat Rohla to replace him with the women's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0